Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

EvanED

Re: Portal Secrets and Storylines? - ***spoiler warning***

Postby EvanED » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

Blatm wrote:Why didn't the other employees do something (I assume there are a lot of them, judging by all the chairs lying around)?

My impression was GLaDOS disposed of them or something similar, especially given the developer's commentary about the red phone in GLaDOS's chamber.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

How to get outside awake and find cake in portal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5QveX3-1O8

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 am UTC

fake

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:59 am UTC

You can setup that ending using noclip; go to the warehouse with the companion cube, put a portal underneath it, back to the GLaDOS Arena and when you put another portal on the wall your cube falls out.

If I really cared I'd look at the final map to confirm there are no special triggers in the locations used, but I'm not going to. :-)
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Too bad, it looked interesting :)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 am UTC

Pity it's not real. Would have been a nice easter egg.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:59 am UTC

You can get to the places in that video with noclip, you just can't get to them with normal play.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

Ayelis wrote:It'd be like shooting at flies from down the street, with a needle gun.

Actually, it'd probably be more like shooting flies in LA from New York or something else crazy like that.
jercos wrote:Free energy? suck the guts out of a star! too much junk? throw it into a black hole!

I can't stop thinking, "Quaid! Start the reactor!"
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Has anyone else done the application on aperturescience.com? I tried it, but when it asked me to enter my ID at the end, either it automatically denies it, or I fucked it up. D:

EDIT: I can't stop thinking about how fun it would be to open an infinite Portal spiral with a Combine under it, let him hit terminal velocity, then close a portal. Yay, liquified Combine!
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:Has anyone else done the application on aperturescience.com? I tried it, but when it asked me to enter my ID at the end, either it automatically denies it, or I fucked it up. D:

EDIT: I can't stop thinking about how fun it would be to open an infinite Portal spiral with a Combine under it, let him hit terminal velocity, then close a portal. Yay, liquified Combine!

If you notice, the UID changes every time it blinks. It's impossible to finish it.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Orange Box support has been added to the Source SDK.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:08 am UTC

WANT SO FUCKING HARD.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:
Vekter wrote:Has anyone else done the application on aperturescience.com? I tried it, but when it asked me to enter my ID at the end, either it automatically denies it, or I fucked it up. D:

If you notice, the UID changes every time it blinks. It's impossible to finish it.

Hm. I did not notice that. D: 5 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

xenuphobia wrote:

I never noticed it changing, it's more the lowercase letters you have to worry about anyway :P

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

I like the idea of GlaDOS working playing the devil's advocate in repeatedly cloning new test subjects (or building them, i.e. androids), testing them, genetically engineering them to improve upon their failings, and repeating, all in an attempt to build a super-amazing portal-using clone with which to stomp the Combine. This would explain why she felt joyful and triumphant upon being burned. The fact that one of her subjects escaped with the gun would mean we're one step in the right direction towards beating the combine.

In such a situation, GlaDOS would, of course, have the ability to build mini-robots to do maintenance (replace cameras and remove corpses).

Judging by the sorts of things done with cheats on, I expect that the portalable surfaces are decided by which texture is on them. However, portals never stuck to moving objects. . .ever. This doesn't make sense, really, as presumably portals should remain stuck to the surface they're on regardless of its motion. (They are all on a moving earth, after all.) This is probably just a product of how computationally expensive it would be to continue rendering a portal while it was moving. So, in theory, moving portals are possible, but we aren't going to see them any time soon.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:Judging by the sorts of things done with cheats on, I expect that the portalable surfaces are decided by which texture is on them.

Correct, it's in the material definition files: %noportal 1. With teh new SDK this shoudl now be useable by everyone, and prevent the horrid func_noportal_volume workaround used by hacked up maps previously.

quintopia wrote:However, portals never stuck to moving objects. . .ever.
This doesn't make sense, really, as presumably portals should remain stuck to the surface they're on regardless of its motion. (They are all on a moving earth, after all.) This is probably just a product of how computationally expensive it would be to continue rendering a portal while it was moving. So, in theory, moving portals are possible, but we aren't going to see them any time soon.

You're right, it's a technical limitation. When a portal is placed there are a bunch of physics calculations to do, which is fine for one portal but not fine to recalculate every frame for a moving portal. There are also a lot of border-cases that would need to be worked out; what happens if two portals face each other, then move closer together until a box in the middle collides with itself? Intersecting objects are problematical under havoc normally, intersecting faces from one object... ick.

So while it should be do-able with a mod don't expect it to happen anytime soon; a more likely scenario is Valve will code up some very specific moving-portal situations, instead of a general moving portal solution.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

Valve expressed a desire to make the portal system as robust as possible. If they were going to implement moving portals, they'd find a way to make it general. And already there are problems with boxes intersecting themselves in portal. I saw a youtube video of some guy who forced a turret to intersect itself and then ran at it in a way that it launched straight up at high speed.

Since they simplified collisions so much in the portal physics bubble, I doubt the more realistic situation of "I can't push the box through portal because it blocks itself going through" is even efficiently achievable.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:55 am UTC

I'm working on a level right now, starting with a small room with an observation place. BTW, try not to let the player into them - You lose the sparkly portal effect through the glass.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Guys.

OH. EM. EFF. GEE. fuzzy companion cubes.
Attachments
ccubes.jpg
ccubes.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 7797 times

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

Any spherical ones?
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 am UTC

Guys I tried to follow the recipe for cake in Portal but as soon as I finished installing the Injector Needle Driver, the cake started threatening me with neurotoxin and I ended up having to incinerate it. Maybe I shouldn't be using chocolate cake mix...
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

I think your sediment wasn't adequately sediment-shaped. I had that same problem, but sediment replacement cured it. Also, the candy needs to be shaped like a freshwater fish, not like, say, a halibut, or the cake loses its consistency.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:53 am UTC

I have constructed a box fort, from 24 storage cubes! Now I'll be safe, even from the rocket turret.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Just downloaded Hammer last night; anyone mind linking me the tutorial?

EDIT:

Umlaut wrote:
dyzzy wrote:*Waiting in front of the planet-side portal is not advised, even once you get past the whole atmosphere-to-vaccum connection problem.

Huh, didn't think my idea through fully...

Micro-meteors = ouches.

Actually, if Portals work like Teleportation Rings, you'd need to be more worried about getting sucked in. Vacuum+Portal=OHGODNOAIR*die*.

That reminds me, I should try putting a portal underwater in Hammer.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:That reminds me, I should try putting a portal underwater in Hammer.

Just remember not to submerge the device in a liquid, even partially.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:41 am UTC

A tip to mappers: Good lighting effects!

Lets say you have your boring 256^3 room and you want nice lighting effects
Ungroup if applicable
take floor and ceiling and manually scale them down to have a 1 unit border between them and the walls
Make some nodraw brushes that fill up these gaps
Finally, paint the interior(visible) edges of these brushes with a texture like recessedcool002
BAM! Plausible lighting that doesn't require clutter

I think you could muck with gradients to get rid of the extra light at corners but I kind of like it

When you use metal textures nearby, try the orange light texture maybe?
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:25 am UTC

God I wish my computer had the processing power to manage this, beucase I could probably come up with some atmospheric / pretty maps with adequate supplies.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:43 am UTC

Vekter wrote:That reminds me, I should try putting a portal underwater in Hammer.

I haven't tried with the new official Portal SDK, but with the old hackjob I tried loading up the sample water level...

The water surface looks dodgy... covered in purple highlights. If you put one end of the portals underwater, then the graphics majorly die when you look through the other end (namely the entire level except the portals and what you see through them becomes invisible). I didn't get DrStalker's effect of walking through the portals and suddenly being unable to turn... but it wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened.

In short: it don't work.

Incidentally: Nothing interesting happens if you ignore GLaDOS's warnings, and walk into the water while carrying the portal gun.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:21 am UTC

I just found an insanely amazing song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQUaEF2bJZ0

There's a link for download in the desc of the video.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 pm UTC

I finally got around to printing out my Weighted Companion Cube sheets. I'd build it if I could find any damn prittsticks in this house, all I've found so far is PVA glue and I'm not crazy about using that since it'll probably get everywhere. I have sellotape and old coins to make it truly weighted too.

And t-shirts! I need some more t-shirts anyway so I might go ahead and stick a modified screenie on a shirt. I'm thinking either the cake logo they use on the beginning-of-level signs or perhaps the companion cube symbol (y'know, the one with the man hugging it and showing some love).

Yeah, that's right. I'm so hardcore I make my OWN merchandise. Cheapo white shirts and iron-on transfer paper for the win.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:28 am UTC

I've gone and just done it. Still Alive steps. Difficulties: 1/4/6/7/x. (quintopia: it was an 8; I rerated it after padding it today.)

As awesome as the song is, I have to say it isn't very steppable, and I'd love a faster-paced rock remix (especially since the cut of the first verse to get it to 2:02 was very, very hard to make!). Vocals + generic background music does not a good stepchart make, but I've done the best I could here. Enjoy!

(Perhaps this should get its own thread? I don't know.)
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:31 am UTC

I'm gonna try The Device Has Been Modified to see if that works.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 am UTC

Nice job. You threw me with the hand touches on standard.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:01 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:As awesome as the song is, I have to say it isn't very steppable, and I'd love a faster-paced rock remix (especially since the cut of the first verse to get it to 2:02 was very, very hard to make!). Vocals + generic background music does not a good stepchart make, but I've done the best I could here. Enjoy!

Very nice! Thanks!

I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't have been cut, but whatever. ;-)

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I look forward to The Device Has Been Modified step file.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

I just gave a listen to The Device Has Been Modified... I like almost all of it, but the beginning is a bit weird for my tastes. It'll definitely make for an interesting stepchart though!
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 am UTC

I decide to play around with SM's editor for awhile, and made a damn good 8 or 9 footer for The Device Has Been Modified. I'll make a lighter version, and then upload it.

csd

Postby csd » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:21 am UTC

...So I'd just heard of this hilarious game called Portal with an amazing song, and I wondered if there was a stepfile. "Naw, I doubt it!" ...But what's this? The forums for my favorite webcomic came up in Google... YAY STEPFILE!

I'm happy now! Especially since the first video of one of my scripted SM courses is being uploaded to YouTube!
Give me a pickle, and make it pink for the festivities!

Mr. Altaco

Postby Mr. Altaco » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

Well there is cake, but it's still a lie because you never got any.

Return to “Gaming”