Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

jercos

Re: Portal Secrets and Storylines? - ***spoiler warning***

Postby jercos » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:57 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:Even more interesting: If you place a weapon (other than the portal gun) in a portal map it just disappears when you move over it, and you don't get it... but this may only apply if you already have a portal gun.

There acctually seems to be some sort of weapon picking up automatic switching precedence... for me, when I pick up a crossbow or a 357 it overrides the portalgun, until it's out of ammo... everything else just jumps to the back in it's own little order... but for the first few levels without a portalgun (e.g. testchmbr_a_00 and 01) you can mess around with frags, rpgs, crowbars, the whole lot... they just have their precedence themselves, so you can only use whatever one the game deems is the "best"... also, bind q fire_energy_ball :P much better than any gun if used properly...

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

DrStalker wrote:Now, the really cool thing: anything done in a HL2 map can be done in a Portal map, including lights that turn on/off, water, vehicles, and probably NPCs. How well they will work is another story... some thing probably wont work at all. Still, there is a huge scope for custom maps in there.

Now I really need to figure out how that will happen. The thought of putting an NPC in an infinite loop amuses me. Though if you could make a vehicle sized portal....

C'mon multiplayer portal. Though I bet it wouldn't handle multiple portal pairs :(
This space intentionally left blank.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:32 pm UTC

Either I'm doing it wrong, or Portal can't handle rendering a water surface; I suspect it got removed to help render load to compensate for the extra load portals cause. Or I'm just noobing it up in hammer and, but it seems like a really simple process.

And putting portals underwater is bad. Really bad. The entire room will randomly fill up with the underwater effect, and if you enter or exit the water through a portal (instead of the water surface) you can sometimes lose all ability to turn... but can still move and fire the portal gun.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

jercos

Postby jercos » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

DrStalker wrote:Or I'm just noobing it up in hammer and, but it seems like a really simple process.

well, you're one step ahead of me (I can't figure out hammer at all... everything I do, I do with the debug console, basically blind luck... thank god there's an autocomplete to get me a list of commands... :P )

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Level building advice, straight from GLaDOS;
"Alarms and flashing hazard lights have been found to agitate the High Energy Pellet and have therefore been disabled for your safety."

So you might not want to add things like that to the Energy Pellet levels. ;)
--
Don't tase me bro!

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 am UTC

jercos wrote:
DrStalker wrote:Or I'm just noobing it up in hammer and, but it seems like a really simple process.

well, you're one step ahead of me (I can't figure out hammer at all... everything I do, I do with the debug console, basically blind luck... thank god there's an autocomplete to get me a list of commands... :P )

If you want to play with Hammer I've found these tutorials to be well written and extensive:

http://www.halfwit-2.com/?page=tutorials&category=1

I've done the first 7 basic tutorials so far, steadily getting better with these tools. I'm hoping Portal will have a nice community making custom maps, especially once Hammer has proper support for Portal.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

I want to write a StepMania simfile for Still Alive, but I have a dilemma. See, the song is 2:56, which is :56-ish too long to play on an In The Groove cabinet. I don't want to cut it though, it's just too awesome to cut. What would really be awesome is if some band **coughweezerwouldbeawesomecough** covered it and sped it up by 50%, and used 'steppable' elements like lots of palm-muted crunchy guitars and lots of snare fills. Yeah, that would be awesome...
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:I want to write a StepMania simfile for Still Alive, but I have a dilemma. See, the song is 2:56, which is :56-ish too long to play on an In The Groove cabinet. I don't want to cut it though, it's just too awesome to cut. What would really be awesome is if some band **coughweezerwouldbeawesomecough** covered it and sped it up by 50%, and used 'steppable' elements like lots of palm-muted crunchy guitars and lots of snare fills. Yeah, that would be awesome...

Wh-what?
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

Ick; yeah, rereading my post I realize how ramble-y (rambly? rambley? ramble-like?) it is.

Restatement: I think it would be awesome if there was a stepchart (like, DDR) for the ending song of Portal, but the song is about a minute longer than your standard DDR song. So I'd need to cut the song if I were to write a stepchart for it, but the song is too awesome to cut, so a better idea would be a faster-paced version of the song.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

Stepchart? Well, what about the radio-mix version of the song, that you hear on all the radios in the game? It's not only short, but it's loopable, so you can play DDR until you pass out from exhaustion.
--
Don't tase me bro!

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

Hmm, one interesting thing I was just thinking about: The moving platform thingies are referred to by GLaDOS as "Aperture Science Unstationary Platforms." Not 'moving', or even 'non-stationary', but UNstationary. It's a little reminiscent of newspeak. Maybe I'm going a little over-the-top here, but maybe not...
31/M/taken/US

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote: It's a little reminiscent of newspeak.

New poll:

Who do you trust more?

* Mainstream Media
* GLaDOS

At least GlaDOS doesn't pretend to be unbiased; she's unashamedly pushing her pro-science agenda. Also, she has cake.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

The cake is
Spoiler:
A LIE!!!

{New Poll Created}
--
Don't tase me bro!

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:I want to write a StepMania simfile for Still Alive, but I have a dilemma. See, the song is 2:56, which is :56-ish too long to play on an In The Groove cabinet. I don't want to cut it though, it's just too awesome to cut. What would really be awesome is if some band **coughweezerwouldbeawesomecough** covered it and sped it up by 50%, and used 'steppable' elements like lots of palm-muted crunchy guitars and lots of snare fills. Yeah, that would be awesome...

Download audacity or something and speed it up, then lower the pitch to compensate. It'll sound pretty much the same, just faster, and slightly crappier.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:

Download audacity or something and speed it up, then lower the pitch to compensate. It'll sound pretty much the same, just faster, and slightly crappier.

That's not a bad idea; especially if you sped it up/pitched it down by a nice round interval, like a perfect fifth.

Something else I'd like to know about this game, which I think a few on the Steam forums have speculated about, is this: How did Chell get to where she is at the beginning, right there on the bed in the relaxation chamber? Does she know as little about herself as we know about her? Did she lose her memory somehow right before she fell asleep in the bed (this might have something to do with the "last time you did this" [or whatever] reference from GLaDOS)?
31/M/taken/US

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
semicolon wrote:

That's not a bad idea; especially if you sped it up/pitched it down by a nice round interval, like a perfect fifth.

Something else I'd like to know about this game, which I think a few on the Steam forums have speculated about, is this: How did Chell get to where she is at the beginning, right there on the bed in the relaxation chamber? Does she know as little about herself as we know about her? Did she lose her memory somehow right before she fell asleep in the bed (this might have something to do with the "last time you did this" [or whatever] reference from GLaDOS)?

That's the thing, and it's part of the weird disconnect you get when playing games, especially first person ones: the character as a character could be separate from you controlling the character's actions. I mean, games induce the tendency to say, "Look what I just did," instead of "Look what Chell just did," or "Look what Lara just did!" We don't know anything about Chell's background, but that's not to say that she doesn't. She doesn't say anything (like Freeman) which makes for an irritating plot experience, leaving me to yell "How can you care about me? I DON'T SAY A FUCKING WORD!" Too many games are guilty of this and it's really the only gripe I have with what Valve puts out. I know what he's doing, but I want to know what he's thinking, what kind of person I'm sharing a body with. Is he a bastard? Is he a saint? Does he like cars? Did he think that thing we just did together was super rad, yo? I don't know. All I get is a blank wall.

We don't really know what Chell is thinking, or what kind of a person she is. Maybe all of these things make sense with her slightly different perspective and context of what happened to her before. Maybe she really does have amnesia, and whatever knocked her out took her memories with it (like that gas in Resident Evil, The Movie. Anybody remember that?).

Even if it's difficult to pull off in the game, a disembodied voice that's actually the Gordon or Chell or whomever, maybe they could release some kind of backstory, some kind of biography or narrative involving Gordon Freeman, Hero of Men in the Dystopian Future? There's probably some kind of niche market for that kind of AR site (see aperturescience.com) and lots of rabid fans willing to go down the rabbit hole to find out more. At least, that's what I think.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

You know you can just pick up turrets and them place them awkwardly to kill them. You don't have to bowl into them to knock 'em over.

If you're really skilled at it you can pick one up from the front and toss it before it can kill you.

I was able to gold all the fewest portal challenges but the time and footstep challenges destroy me currently.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

Well, the usual (non-lazy) reason for a silent protagonist is because the devs want *you* to *be* the character. Not to say that your life serves as their backstory, but that, rather than thinking, "what should Chell do", you are thinking, "what should I do". And it works, at least to some degree. But what I'm pointing out here is that the game starts you out right in the relaxation chamber -- no exposition like you get from many other games. Half-Life 1 at least had the train ride, which told you quite a bit (if you listened) about Black Mesa, and the walk into the facility told you a bit about Gordon. But there's nothing in the game at all about Chell; largely due to the fact that it's just you and GLaDOS the whole time.
31/M/taken/US

Psychomax

Postby Psychomax » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:ive been wondering whether portal is chells first time through apeture science or not. glados mentions she has you on permanent file a couple of times (and eventually deletes this) and implies she can resurrect you (cloning technology maybe?). what if all the writing left behind is by previous versions of chell who have eventually been killed by glados, only to be resurrected at the start of the test and do it all agian :shock:

I really like this theory, does anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

I was wondering about that myself. Maybe there is only one test subject.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

What caught my eye is a certain texture you can find in a small out of the way room during your escape through the mechanical section (I don't remember where exactly. It was after a save point off to the size of a bigger-than-average clearing.). It was a lot of those marks used for counting days in prison. The 4 vertical marks and then one horizontal one to count by 5s thing. In all, there were about 100 of them, which makes me wonder what happened to the person that was there before you. Was she trying to have GLaDOS forget about her? Was she trapped? How did she survive? I wonder if she did survive. It seems unlikely because the trail she traced for us lead straight to GLaDOS, which was a dead end. Why did she trace a trail in the first place? Was she expecting other people to be in the same situation as her? This sort of reinforces the theory that it was Chell herself who did it, but didn't manage to escape and got her memory wiped. We could also be a clone of the original Chell. Maybe that's what GLaDOS meant by "part-time". If this was the case though, why didn't GLaDOS do something differently this time to avoid another escape? Why didn't the other employees do something (I assume there are a lot of them, judging by all the chairs lying around)? Where did they go, anyways? Did they all flee the instant Chell started trying to escape? There are definitely a lot of questions left to be answered. Portal 2?

I didn't think A18 was that hard, aside of the bit right after the first jump. That took me FOREVER. Even now, I'm not sure if I did it the "right" way. The turret room was pretty easy. I took one out with the camera and the other out by jumping on it. I had a surprising amount of difficulty with the last bit though. I couldn't seem to orient myself quickly enough (I could the first time), so I did them one by one. It was a lot less thrilling. Also, is it me, or did the companion sphere have a mind of its own? It kept rolling around in weird ways for me.

Haha I love the poll results so far.
Spoiler:
100% for GLaDOS

TryptamineConsumer

Postby TryptamineConsumer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 am UTC

From what I understand, Aperature is a defunct and abandoned lab that was in operation at the same time as Black Mesa... it seems likely that the Black Mesa Incident is the probable cause of the lab's abandonment... however, considering some time has probably passed between Chell's awakening and the Black Mesa Incident, the "THEM" GLaDoS refers to is most likely the Combine. It would be very interesting to see where Valve takes this. I think the coolest way to go would be to introduce the Portal Gun into the Half Life series by means of Gordon and the Black Mesa East team stumbling upon the abandoned Aperature Sciences Enrichment Center and using its facilities (as the defenses should be minimal with only GLaDoS's backup system running, as seems apparent from the final movie and the credits song). A sequel to Portal would make little sense as if you recall the beginning of the game it looked quite clear that Chell was the last remaining test subject in stasis (other chambers were empty). I just think it'd be quite amazing and fun to incorporate both the puzzle-style game play of Portal and the traditional FPS-style of the Half Life series... in fact, it would probably make for a revolutionary gaming style. Also I am sure there are a number of other useful technologies lying around Aperature that could be introduced into HL: EP3.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

TryptamineConsumer wrote:From what I understand, Aperature is a defunct and abandoned lab that was in operation at the same time as Black Mesa... it seems likely that the Black Mesa Incident is the probable cause of the lab's abandonment... however, considering some time has probably passed between Chell's awakening and the Black Mesa Incident, the "THEM" GLaDoS refers to is most likely the Combine. It would be very interesting to see where Valve takes this. I think the coolest way to go would be to introduce the Portal Gun into the Half Life series by means of Gordon and the Black Mesa East team stumbling upon the abandoned Aperature Sciences Enrichment Center and using its facilities (as the defenses should be minimal with only GLaDoS's backup system running, as seems apparent from the final movie and the credits song). A sequel to Portal would make little sense as if you recall the beginning of the game it looked quite clear that Chell was the last remaining test subject in stasis (other chambers were empty). I just think it'd be quite amazing and fun to incorporate both the puzzle-style game play of Portal and the traditional FPS-style of the Half Life series... in fact, it would probably make for a revolutionary gaming style. Also I am sure there are a number of other useful technologies lying around Aperature that could be introduced into HL: EP3.

I dunno if you finished Ep2 yet, but...

Spoiler:
Gordon and Alyx are headed to an Aperture Science vessel, the Borealis, that mysteriously vanished years ago in a mysterious accident that not only vanished the ship, but also part of the surrounding dock. Does that sound like a certain technology we've just been using?

On the technical side, Valve's still working on making AI and water physics work through portals, and it seems pretty hard. So either they finish it on time, or Ep3 is delayed while they work out all the kinks, or they just forego the whole portal thing in 3 and focus on finishing up the storyline. I think portals would be cool, but I dunno if I wanna wait another year for ep3.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the technology they were so excited about is very similar, if not identical, to that seen in the Aperture Science Hand-held Portal Device.

Teleportation was pretty central to the original Half-life 2 plot. Recall that while the combine are capable of traveling between dimensions, they are unable to do so from one point to another in that dimension. (You did encounter a device similar to Kleiner's in Nova Prospekt, but it was most likely stolen, or built by Dr. Mossman) While the resistance are capable of this, their technology is large and stationary. Being able to create portals nearly anywhere, given some geometrical limitations, would be extremely useful to the resistance-- and the combine. Is this why Eli was so adamant that Gordon destroy it?

Imagine a boss fight where Gordon takes down an advisor by dropping explosives on it via portals, all the while keeping it distracted from simply grabbing them and tossing them aside...
//TODO: Write funny sig

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

Blatm wrote:What caught my eye is a certain texture you can find in a small out of the way room during your escape through the mechanical section (I don't remember where exactly. It was after a save point off to the size of a bigger-than-average clearing.). It was a lot of those marks used for counting days in prison. The 4 vertical marks and then one horizontal one to count by 5s thing. In all, there were about 100 of them, which makes me wonder what happened to the person that was there before you. Was she trying to have GLaDOS forget about her? Was she trapped? How did she survive? I wonder if she did survive. It seems unlikely because the trail she traced for us lead straight to GLaDOS, which was a dead end. Why did she trace a trail in the first place?

Worse; How would she have gotten past the first rocket turret without breaking the glass?
She survived on water and cans of beans.
Do you think all the red marks on the wall denoting 'exits' were scrawled in blood, or lipstick?

Blatm wrote:Haha I love the poll results so far.
Spoiler:
100% for GLaDOS

Yeah, 20 out of 20! :mrgreen:
--
Don't tase me bro!

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

I want to believe that's blood, and it seems that Chell has some healing ability anyway, so it makes an amount of sense that test subjects can scrawl that much with blood.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:I want to believe that's blood, and it seems that Chell has some healing ability anyway, so it makes an amount of sense that test subjects can scrawl that much with blood.

In the HALFLIFE universe?! Umm...
--
Don't tase me bro!

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Uh, Chell definitely has a healing factor in the game, either through personal ability or due to the environment -- this is obvious if you get shot up a bit then hide then repeat a few times.

Also, Chell still bleeds -- this is obvious because there are blood spots left on the walls and such when you're shot.

Thus it would be possible for Chell at least, and possibly all the test subjects, to scrawl all over the walls with their blood.

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

Chell regenerates fully after a few seconds of no-damage. You can figure this out from observation, and confirm it by using "impulse 101" and watching her health on the HEV's HUD.

This means you can take damage from turrets, so long as you get to a safe place to recover afterwards... and there is no limit to how much blood you can splash on the walls.

Also, it could just be that the diagrams are written in the same red paint used to mark Xs on the roof at various places in the testing chambers.

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:37 pm UTC

It's not red paint! It's Beans! D=
--
Don't tase me bro!

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:32 am UTC

I just finished playing through with developer commentary. Aside of a few interesting tidbits I picked up, I also noticed a few things I didn't notice on my first playthrough. First of all, Chell is an android. I hadn't realized that the first time through. I'm inclined to believe that Apature science constructs their own test subjects and that the person leaving all the notes and scribbles is just another android. The commentary says that the side rooms lead players to believe that there may be other people somewhere else in the building, as opposed to having been where you are before you. Also, the first time through I completely missed the side room in the companion cube level. It's easily the most interesting, showing that the person there before you had become completely paranoid, stealing all the cameras and talking about how GLaDOS ripped the companion cube away mercilessly. That parson had obviously become completely obsessed with the cube and replaced the heads of people on photos with pictures of the cube. Also I think there was a reference to hearing the cube talk, and believing it. There were also a good number of bean cans, milk and more of those "counting days" marks on the wall. Makes me wonder how the cameras were replaced, too, seeing as there's a camera about 10m away that the person surely would have detached, so when it was replaced, why weren't the stockpiled cameras removed and why wasn't the graffiti erased?

Also, Ellen McLain is nuts.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

Being able to create portals nearly anywhere, given some geometrical limitations, would be extremely useful to the resistance-- and the combine.

Especially if you mounted a portal gun on a satellite. It doesn't appear to have a range limitation, after all, just a surface limitation.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

Why not just mount a portal on the satellite? Have fun in re-entry, freaky living gunship!

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

Chell, an android!? I certainly missed that one. It would explain, however, why she can fall at ridiculous heights/speeds just by having an extra pair of metal legs. Maybe her skeletal frame is comprised of some alloy *cough* wolverine *cough*

And why stop at mounting the portal on a satellite? Launch a portal-ed probe into space, wait* some years (how fast can the Combine make their ships go, anyway?) and see where it can take you.

*Waiting in front of the planet-side portal is not advised, even once you get past the whole atmosphere-to-vaccum connection problem.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:*Waiting in front of the planet-side portal is not advised, even once you get past the whole atmosphere-to-vaccum connection problem.

Huh, didn't think my idea through fully...

Micro-meteors = ouches.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

Ayelis wrote:It's not red paint! It's Beans! D=
Or more blood.
Blatm wrote:First of all, Chell is an android.
No, she's not. GLaDOS says "Congratulations, android" because you were in an android live fire test exercise instead of the appropriate room (which was down for maintainance.)
Also, Ellen McLain is nuts.
And attractive, though older.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Umlaut wrote:
dyzzy wrote:*Waiting in front of the planet-side portal is not advised, even once you get past the whole atmosphere-to-vaccum connection problem.

Huh, didn't think my idea through fully...

Micro-meteors = ouches.

Though it's a particularly cruel weapon- suck your enemies into space AND pummel them with space debris!

Let's not think about what happens when your probe falls into a star, or a black hole.

jercos

Postby jercos » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:Let's not think about what happens when your probe falls into a star, or a black hole.

Free energy? suck the guts out of a star! too much junk? throw it into a black hole!

Ayelis

Postby Ayelis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Especially if you mounted a portal gun on a satellite. It doesn't appear to have a range limitation, after all, just a surface limitation.

Yeah. So you can't place a portal on a star, or even a foreign planet (unless there were slabs of concrete at your destination). Maybe you could portal yourself to mars, but you'd have to get really lucky to be able to hit the side of that pyramid from here. It'd be like shooting at flies from down the street, with a needle gun.
--
Don't tase me bro!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:58 am UTC

Well, there were only three or four surface types in the test installment. Which isn't enough to say conclusively that the portal can ONLY be used on concrete.

I'd go out on a limb and say that "any flat, opaque, non-metallic surface" is not a bad guess at its limitations.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “Gaming”