Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

LessThanEdd

Portal + HalfLife

Postby LessThanEdd » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 am UTC

i havent read up on this, and there is most likley a website out there saying "YES!" but what do you think about the storylines of portal and halflife meeting? 8)

There are alot of point that are the same in both games, like the secondary fire of the plasma rifle on halflife!

thecommabandit

Re: Portal + HalfLife

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I'm fairly sure it's been stated by Valve that Portal is in fact in the same universe and timeline as the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:59 am UTC

I love the idea of them taking place in the same world but being part of two very different stories. I wouldn't mind seeing little references to each series in the other, but the tones conflict such that keeping them separate seems the best idea.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 am UTC

The "I'm the only thing between you and them" line clearly means she was talking about the combine. And besides Aperture Sience is talked about in Half Life 2-Eps. 2
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:17 am UTC

And the line in the song at the end.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:20 am UTC

Spoiler:
Once you make it to the escape, have a look in the rooms and windows you pass on your way out of the facility. There are clear references to Aperture Science and Black Mesa competing for government funding.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Half Life 2 Ep 2 The Borealis

What guy bove me said

and Line in Still Alive

they are in the same universe, the timelines are however unclear
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

The server I was playing Team Fortress 2 on today had all the sentry guns talking like the ones in Portal, does that count? :)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

I thought it was painfully obvious that Portal took place before HL1 by the simple fact that Black Mesa still EXISTED as a functioning company.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Does it? You're running around in an abandoned facility run by a psychotic AI. There's really nothing there stating that Black Mesa still exists. Sure, there's lots saying that Black Mesa and Aperture existed at the same time, but.. hell, there's nothing suggesting either company is still around. Is there anything suggesting that Black Mesa hasn't already self-destructed, or even that the events of Episode 5: Gordon Gets Some And Finally Tells Barney What He Really Thinks haven't taken place yet?

Just you and a rogue AI and presumably some sort of nuclear generators off-camera.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Especially since the next game is a prequel.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

One thing that I find interresting is the similarities between the Aperture technology and that of the combine. I wonder if valve are planning to go somewhere with that.

[conspiracy]My personal theory is that the resistance will use the stuff from aperture (which is the same technology that the combine has) to fight the combine. The humans win and for some reason decide to attack the combine homeworld or something. Then there's some time anomaly and mutations and it turns out that the combine are actually humans from the future. [/conspiracy]

Edit: next game? isn't the next game episode 3?
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

There's going to be another portal game, I thought. Unless it's already come out. I don't really keep up on this sort of thing.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:Edit: next game? isn't the next game episode 3?

Portal 2 is going to be a prequel.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:The humans win and for some reason decide to attack the combine homeworld or something.

Eh, they'll probably just send gordon to do it. He's got the hazard suit after all, and I got the impression that the combine homeworld is not very hospitable to human life in the least.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Id love it if you go to the Borealis in HL2 Episode 3 and find the body of Chell (the character from Portal) with the portal gun and take it from her cold, dead fingers to use yourself to defeat the Combine/ GLaDOS.

Then the obligatory Portal 2 showing the events that lead up to the character's untimely demise.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

It'd be more amusing if you started the month-long warmup sequence on Chell's tube.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Then had to wait in real-time?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Nah.

Just give you an XBox Achievement for doing so.

Waitin' For Chell
Activate Chell's tube then wait exactly 30 days to see if she pops out.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:19 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Does it? You're running around in an abandoned facility run by a psychotic AI. There's really nothing there stating that Black Mesa still exists. Sure, there's lots saying that Black Mesa and Aperture existed at the same time, but.. hell, there's nothing suggesting either company is still around. Is there anything suggesting that Black Mesa hasn't already self-destructed, or even that the events of Episode 5: Gordon Gets Some And Finally Tells Barney What He Really Thinks haven't taken place yet?

Just you and a rogue AI and presumably some sort of nuclear generators off-camera.

Portal takes place shortly after the invasion of the Combine - after the Seven Hour War, and during (or just after) the portal storms. So Black Mesa (which was obliterated in a nuclear strike) is most definitely gone, Eli, Alyx, and the others are presumably running and/or hiding from the Combine (Alyx is not a full grown woman at this point, by the way), and Gordon Freeman is in stasis after the events of Half-Life.

Chell escapes the Apeture Science facility and you clearly see the outdoor area is a wreck. It's a wreck (and also empty) because the Combine have herded pretty much all of humanity into the Cities, and the portal storms have made a mess of whatever the Combine didn't destroy.

Apeture Science and Black Mesa were in direct competition throughout the existence of Half-Life, and it's highly likely that this will be explored further in Episode Three, since we're almost certainly heading for the Borealis at some point. Apeture Science was better at teleportation technology than Black Mesa, and I'm sure that will factor into the final solution to our Combine invaders.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Texas_Ben wrote:
grythyttan wrote:The humans win and for some reason decide to attack the combine homeworld or something.

Eh, they'll probably just send gordon to do it. He's got the hazard suit after all, and I got the impression that the combine homeworld is not very hospitable to human life in the least.

Gordon Freeman, famed particle physicist with a surprising aptitude for firearms and combat.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:Portal takes place shortly after the invasion of the Combine - after the Seven Hour War, and during (or just after) the portal storms.
As I've not seen this information from any official sources... link?

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:Apeture Science was better at teleportation technology than Black Mesa, and I'm sure that will factor into the final solution to our Combine invaders.

I disagree. Black Mesa had working teleportation technology. Aperture Sience had working portal technology. Aperture Sience was developing teleportation when they built the Borialis, but then it disappeared taking half the drydock with it. I don't think they had fully developed teleportation at the time.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

The Borealis incident wasn't a teleportation test, it was a large-scale portal test.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:As I've not seen this information from any official sources... link?

The only official source outside of the game that I've seen tells me that the Aperture portal technology was originally intended to be a shower curtain. Most of this sounds like speculation to me.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Durandal wrote:
Texas_Ben wrote:

Gordon Freeman, famed particle physicist with a surprising aptitude for firearms and combat.

My personal theory is that this is actually wholly realistic, and physics Ph.D's just aren't telling us the whole truth about what they did in grad school.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:01 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Some Asshole wrote:Portal takes place shortly after the invasion of the Combine - after the Seven Hour War, and during (or just after) the portal storms.
As I've not seen this information from any official sources... link?

The remaining populated areas are named City 1, City 2... City 17, City 27, etc and are placed under control of the Combine, who are establishing a huge presence on Earth. The United Nations in New York City is taken over and destroyed. [ screenshot, from Eli's lab ]

Meanwhile, all scientists have evacuated their facilities at Aperture Science, including their main enrichment center. The events of Portal take place. 1 The 'Aperture Science Hand-Held Portal Device' is inadvertently released into the wild, however, it is not known what becomes of it.

From http://www.members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

There isn't any "official" information about the Half-Life plot, and I think it's because has enjoyed being deliberately vague in the past (we still don't know much about G-man and his motives), but there's a lot of things you can infer from the easter eggs and stuff tossed all over the place in the gameworld. Newspapers are tacked onto bulletin boards in Kleiner's lab and Eli's lab, things like that. Chell escapes the facility and you can clearly see the area is devastated... it's pretty reasonable to assume that it's due to the portal storms (and possibly Combine, though I don't know how the Combine would wreck the outside of the facility and not bother with the inside, considering how powerful the portal gun is.)

You're right; Aperture was portal tech, not teleportation tech. I get the two confused sometimes :P

EDIT:
1 - The date that the events of Portal take place aren't certain. We do know that GLaDOS says to Chell: "Are you trying to escape? [chuckle] Things have changed since the last time you left the building. What's going on out will make you wish you were back in here. I have an infinite capacity for knowledge, and even I'm not sure what is going on outside. All I know is I'm the only thing standing between us and them. Well, I was. Unless you have a plan for building some supercomputer parts in a big hurry, this place isn't going to be safe much longer." This implies that the game takes place during the Portal Storms or afterwards. Read more about Portal on the Wikipedia page here.

Somehow I doubt GLaDOS would be enough on its (her?) own to stop a determined Combine force ;)
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

http://qntm.org/?hl
Full Half-Life/Portal story, sourced. I'm just gonna leave this here.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

BlackMesa

Postby BlackMesa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

I think one episode on the Borealis with the portal shooter would be fun. I think that combat would be very interesting with both portals and guns. But i would not want it to last more than an episode, it would get old. Things might be either really easy (combat) or fairly difficult (rediculous puzzles)
"Courage is not the absence of fear!" - Aperture Science

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Assuming the devastation outside has nothing to do with GlaDOS's destruction, all that one can really tell from the escape is that it's likely post-Portal Storm/Combine Invasion, and that it's not yet been a century. That's about it. It could be a week later, or it could be 15 years later. Nothing suggests GlaDOS still had contact with the outside, so it's possible she had no idea what was going on out there.

The Newspaper clippings and reports only suggest that the portal storm is going on, not that it just happened.

Ah, I really should replay the game and get the stuff back in my head as to what the game suggests. Point being, all that you can say for certain is that it happens post-Black Mesa's Resonance Cascade Failure, and likely post Portal Storms and Combine Invasion. That's it. It's entirely possible that Gordon will get a Portal Gun when he's wandering around, a mysterious explosion occurs and a half-dead woman in an orange jumpsuit with springy heels flies out of the blast and lands in front of him.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's entirely possible that Gordon will get a Portal Gun when he's wandering around, a mysterious explosion occurs and a half-dead woman in an orange jumpsuit with springy heels flies out of the blast and lands in front of him.

Not another sidekick. :roll:

I agree that a portal-shooter episode would be fun, or even just a short level a-la Lost Coast. I'm not sure how the difficulty curve would move, but portaling across a combine sniper's ENTIRE field of vision is too good to pass up.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

At least this one would be mute too.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:09 am UTC

I've imported HL2 maps into Portal and used it to try these things.

Storming Nova Prospekt by throwing grenades through portals is great.

Well. You heard him.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I've imported HL2 maps into Portal and used it to try these things.

TELL ME HOW!!!
<Cheese> I love you

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:37 am UTC

Well. You heard him.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I've imported HL2 maps into Portal and used it to try these things.

I must try that out, sounds like more fun than a super gravity gun and ravenholm.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

BlackMesa

Postby BlackMesa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I wonder how well AI would be able to handle portals. Portal didn't really have to deal with that because all of the enemies were stationary, but it would be interesting to see if combine would follow you into a portal and then you change the exit side and they fall off a cliff or something. Or if they would just ignore the portals all together.
"Courage is not the absence of fear!" - Aperture Science

Science, Meredith, Science!

Postby Science, Meredith, Science! » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:Portal 2 is going to be a prequel.

Not necessarily. It has been speculated that
Spoiler:
the Cave Johnson voice acting job will be for a different AI with his voice and that Portal 2 will actually take place in the future.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

BlackMesa wrote:I wonder how well AI would be able to handle portals. Portal didn't really have to deal with that because all of the enemies were stationary, but it would be interesting to see if combine would follow you into a portal and then you change the exit side and they fall off a cliff or something. Or if they would just ignore the portals all together.

That would be an interesting design challenge to take on in Portal 2 . Do you first calculate the shortest path from AI to target and then create a second path through the nearest portal to see if it is shorter or do you simply calculate from A to B and then fire a quick path through the nearest portal to see if it intersects the first path. It'd be hard to do any sort of front-wave propogation algorithm since it would more than likely ignore a portal if it wasn't close enough. I'd imagine you would still want the AI to calculate 2 paths simply so to save on computation cost if the user quickly moves the entrance or exit. Maybe have a precognitive falloff so that AI already heading through a portal wouldn't have time to "react" to the user creating an exit allowing for some fun use of portals off cliffs.

It'd be really impressive if they could create an AI that knew how to portal jump. Maybe build up a database of known jump points through the map that the AI can simply look to during path calculation. Lastly it'd be funny to have an NPC AI with it's own portal gun. That might get a bit cheap.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:19 am UTC

jerdak wrote:
BlackMesa wrote:I wonder how well AI would be able to handle portals. Portal didn't really have to deal with that because all of the enemies were stationary, but it would be interesting to see if combine would follow you into a portal and then you change the exit side and they fall off a cliff or something. Or if they would just ignore the portals all together.

That would be an interesting design challenge to take on in Portal 2 . Do you first calculate the shortest path from AI to target and then create a second path through the nearest portal to see if it is shorter or do you simply calculate from A to B and then fire a quick path through the nearest portal to see if it intersects the first path. It'd be hard to do any sort of front-wave propogation algorithm since it would more than likely ignore a portal if it wasn't close enough. I'd imagine you would still want the AI to calculate 2 paths simply so to save on computation cost if the user quickly moves the entrance or exit. Maybe have a precognitive falloff so that AI already heading through a portal wouldn't have time to "react" to the user creating an exit allowing for some fun use of portals off cliffs.

A bog-standard A* pathfinding algorithm will handle portals just fine.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Gaming”