Portal! WILD MASS GUESSING AND THEORIZING AND BULLSHIT!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Who do you trust more?

Mainstream Media
11%
GLaDOS
89%

Total votes: 344

AbNo

Re: Portal Secrets and Storylines? - ***spoiler warning***

Postby AbNo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:59 am UTC

Oh, oops.

This monitor's not terribly contrasting.
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:12 am UTC

I just bought this game two days ago. Amazing. So freaking cool. Now onto the advanced maps...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:34 am UTC

So...I'm getting that... a "Could Not Load Library Client" message as the loading screen initializes.

Any thoughts?

Episodes 1&2 and TF2 haven't finished downloading, so I can't check them yet. Maybe that's the issue?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Am I the only person who did 18 advanced without killing any turrets? I didn't want to run through the whole thread and I didn't even think about trying to kill them...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 am UTC

Yeah, I didn't take out any turrets in 18 advanced either... just flung myself across to the cube, and used it as a shield for the trip down to the magic button...

Well, I say "just"... hooray for quickload...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:19 am UTC

phlip wrote:Yeah, I didn't take out any turrets in 18 advanced either... just flung myself across to the cube, and used it as a shield for the trip down to the magic button...

Well, I say "just"... hooray for quickload...

Yeah the jump was the hardest. I put an portal on the wall outside the button room then put a portal on the angled wall and jumped into it, then used the fall to launch me to the platform in the goo on the other side and then used that to finally launch myself across it took a few tries. The using the box as a shield and falling down part was the easy bit.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:26 am UTC

I thought GLaDDos said "You will be paid, and there will be cake."

Although it adds a cool layer of mindgames, I don't think the cloning theory/engieneering vs Combine holds up. She tried to kill you with the firepit, why would she do that when you've proven yourself by completing the test? She was trying to kill you at the end because you messed everything up by not dying, but if the whole thing was a test she wouldn't have been surprised when you escaped and then tried to recover it (to trick you into being killed again). She would have just said "Well done, you figured it out." Not to mention the technical difficulties of cloning and genetic engineering when the facility has been completely abandoned.

Chell is not an android. She bleeds a lot, there's food in the hideouts, and everything said in the developer commentary completely contradicts that.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about because I haven't played any of HL2 (I know, I know), but I would like to talk about all the black handprints. The spraypainted/handwritten directions and writing on the rooms' walls make sense in a limited sort of way (someone or perhaps several people did this before you, went crazy, and left directions for whoever might come after), but why would they put their hands directly on the wall like that, and why would they leave black marks?

I don't think a lot of the things GLaDDoS says can be taken at face value, and I'm sure that the Aperture website isn't supposed to be taken seriously. Come on, shower curtains? Anything that happens in the real world is bound by real world laws, and clearly Aperture was getting money from the government, and that wouldn't happen if the organization was that chaotic.

One thing I found very interesting was the "You're not even a full-time employee!" comment. I think that is one of the few things that we can know as true because she was saying that to hurt you, and if you were a scientist it wouldn't do anything and she wouldn't bother saying it. Now it could have been a random insane comment, but I think we can assume that GLaDDoS' knowledge has not changed and is always working rationally towards whatever goal she currently has..

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I think the android suggestion was meant to be a CYBORG suggestion.

As for the black/dark writing on the wall, blood gets dark, very close to black when it dries.

I certainly can't think of anything else they might have to write with.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:Although it adds a cool layer of mindgames, I don't think the cloning theory/engieneering vs Combine holds up. She tried to kill you with the firepit, why would she do that when you've proven yourself by completing the test? She was trying to kill you at the end because you messed everything up by not dying, but if the whole thing was a test she wouldn't have been surprised when you escaped and then tried to recover it (to trick you into being killed again). She would have just said "Well done, you figured it out." Not to mention the technical difficulties of cloning and genetic engineering when the facility has been completely abandoned.

On the contrary, there is nothing saying that GlaDOS was actually surprised by your escape, or if she was surprised, it might be because you were meant to escape, you just hadn't before. If you haven't noticed, we're talking super-advanced technology here, so cloning would be no problem. I mean really, if they can rip a new one (literally?) in the space-time continuum, cloning should be easy.

Ghandi 2 wrote:Chell is not an android. She bleeds a lot, there's food in the hideouts, and everything said in the developer commentary completely contradicts that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F#Concepts_and_back_story
Read the third paragraph of that section, then tell me there isn't some definition of android that does not bleed or eat. Then again, whoever said that she was an android? The game's comment of android hell was because she was on a course designed for combat androids.

Ghandi 2 wrote:I don't think a lot of the things GLaDDoS says can be taken at face value, and I'm sure that the Aperture website isn't supposed to be taken seriously. Come on, shower curtains? Anything that happens in the real world is bound by real world laws, and clearly Aperture was getting money from the government, and that wouldn't happen if the organization was that chaotic.

You obviously don't know government very well. If you can give them something that could be used as a weapon, they don't care how crazy you are. Also, the portal technology breaks many laws of physics, so I don't think they're quite bound by the "real world" idea.

Ghandi 2 wrote:One thing I found very interesting was the "You're not even a full-time employee!" comment. I think that is one of the few things that we can know as true because she was saying that to hurt you, and if you were a scientist it wouldn't do anything and she wouldn't bother saying it. Now it could have been a random insane comment, but I think we can assume that GLaDDoS' knowledge has not changed and is always working rationally towards whatever goal she currently has..

So I don't have any friends either? People don't like me? They must be true if one hurtful thing she said was true. Also, we know nothing about Chell, so assuming that she isn't a scientist to say GlaDOS (a known liar) is telling a truth is a long stretch. However, judging by the comments about Bring Your Daughter to Work day, it could be that she's somebody's daughter.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

My roommate bought this yesterday and I finished it in about four hours. It kinda sucked me in... :D
One thing, though, I've started playing with it again and I'm not seeing anything "bonus" about the first level that is "+ bonus."

I only really got stuck twice.
Spoiler:
In 18 I couldn't get to the damn cube and felt really stupid, just stuck, then my roommate says "it's weird how that door comes out and an angle."
*facepalm*
Turns out I am stupid. :-\

Then going into the incinerator I immediately saw the balcony, shot a portal, shot one to the wall, and fell into the water. Then I did it again. Like twelve times. I have no idea why I couldn't get to the portal in the wall but it was bad enough I got fed up and went to look for hints on the 'tubes; there I found several "walkthrough" videos that went straight to the fire. Some help those guys are! :D
So what's "bonus" about the "+bonus" levels?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:31 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:My roommate bought this yesterday and I finished it in about four hours. It kinda sucked me in... :D
One thing, though, I've started playing with it again and I'm not seeing anything "bonus" about the first level that is "+ bonus."

I only really got stuck twice.
Spoiler:
In 18 I couldn't get to the damn cube and felt really stupid, just stuck, then my roommate says "it's weird how that door comes out and an angle."
*facepalm*
Turns out I am stupid. :-\

Then going into the incinerator I immediately saw the balcony, shot a portal, shot one to the wall, and fell into the water. Then I did it again. Like twelve times. I have no idea why I couldn't get to the portal in the wall but it was bad enough I got fed up and went to look for hints on the 'tubes; there I found several "walkthrough" videos that went straight to the fire. Some help those guys are! :D
So what's "bonus" about the "+bonus" levels?

Choose up/down and move through the options of 'least time', 'least steps', 'least portals' and 'advanced'.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:43 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:Choose up/down and move through the options of 'least time', 'least steps', 'least portals' and 'advanced'.
Oh, wow, how simple. See? I said I was stupid. :) The advanced ones seem to require more shooting accuracy than I have. Chapter 6 was easy but I wasn't able to do 5 or 7 very quickly and got fed up. Half Life time. :) Thanks for the reply.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

BlackDragonEX

Postby BlackDragonEX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Sorry for the bump (sorta XD) but ive got a few ideas.

Since at the end you are put on a platform that goes into a furnace, the sign before it has a picture of cake on. So that makes me think, That although GLaDOS wanted you to escape the fire (it would prove that you have mastered the portal gun) The cake is made of people/androids (whatever Chell is XD)
This makes sense since in one of the lines of 'Still Alive' is 'Keep on trying 'till you run out of cake' Since the cake is basically you it could mean Keep trying until you die or something along those lines.

Again in Still alive ending song you hear these words:
'and the science gets done and you make a neat gun
for the people who are still alive' I think this could mean that the portal gun could be released to the public or be used as a weapon (possibly in the next HL game ?)

(Note: Im not really into the sort of alien fighting things like HL so im not up-to-date on the storyline. Also could someone tell me what the director says at the end about GLaDOS' Red phone (or something like that) since I honestly cant be bothered going through level 19 again.)

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

He said something along the lines that it was a phone so GLaDOS' operators could phone the president/the army if she went psycho. Obviously, the first thing GLaDOS probably did was disconnect it.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

I don't exactly trust GLaDOS more than the media, but she is a hell of a lot more entertaining.

EDIT Grammatical mistake. I fail.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Since at the end you are put on a platform that goes into a furnace, the sign before it has a picture of cake on. So that makes me think, That although GLaDOS wanted you to escape the fire (it would prove that you have mastered the portal gun) The cake is made of people/androids (whatever Chell is XD)

Possibly. But one of the modules you separate from GLaDOS actually recites the cake recipe. It's made out of terrible things, but I don't think any of it was people.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

BlackDragonEX

Postby BlackDragonEX » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:He said something along the lines that it was a phone so GLaDOS' operators could phone the president/the army if she went psycho. Obviously, the first thing GLaDOS probably did was disconnect it.

Oh, Thanks ^^

Belial wrote:

Possibly. But one of the modules you separate from GLaDOS actually recites the cake recipe. It's made out of terrible things, but I don't think any of it was people.

I remember that, Maybe the original recipe was in there somewhere but when she went psycho and killed everyone with the nurotoxin(sp?) she could have then decided that this would be the best way to make the cake.
Also the eye on the component that falls out is diluted, this could mean that GLaDOS is over-riding it or disbleing it somehow so that it does nto interfere with HER way of making the cake

Pai

Postby Pai » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Anyone have any favorite user-made maps to recommend? I just got/finished the game, but there are so many maps out there, and I'm sure that most are not that great.

Also, has this been linked here yet? Thanks to it, I now have GLaDOS Windows sounds. =)
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Belial wrote:

Also, in the... observation rooms, during the escape area, there's brown screens with text scrolling across them. Most of it is gibberish, but there ARE ingredients listed. :mrgreen:

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:45 am UTC

pretty sure android hell was a joke, because chell was supposed to be killing intelligent, speaking turrents (which, with a psychotic strech common of GLaDOS) could be called androids... and you kill them.
Additionally, it was made for combat androids.
Finally, it shoudl be pointed out that GLaDOS is still alive, and she's an android, in a way--or at least a thinking, moving machine capable of human emotion (with eyes, no less!) it could have been intended that she was gonna die.
uhhhh fuck.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

The joke of that level was that the room you were supposed to use was broken, so you were put into a live-fire course for combat androids. Thus the reference to 'android hell'.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Okay...played through for the fourth time last night, and just noticed something incredibly awesome.

In the first couple "secret" areas, where you can find various graffiti and containers helpfully labeled "water", "beans", and "milk", another wonderful discovery can be made. In the first (I think) two of these areas, you can also find a computer...the side panel is off, exposing the heat sink...on top of the heat sink is a pot.

That's right...somebody was using the computer's heat sink as a stove.

And that's wonderful.

thebeanie

Postby thebeanie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Warning: Speculation ahead. May turn out to be a pack of lies.

Ok, while mulling over the plot for a mod I and some friends are making (Zeeman Effect), we came up with this speculative timeline for the HL universe.

1982 - Alyx Vance is born.
1983 - GLaDOS is activated on Bring Your Daughter To Work Day. The daughters of some of the Aperture executives are imprisoned in the Enrichment Centre, which happens to be on the Borealis. Chell Johnson is 10.
Later 1983 - Black Mesa Incident. Xen creatures start invading through portal storms. Events of Half-Life.
1983 to 1992 - Portal Storms.
1993 - Combine invasion. The Citadels arrive. 7 Hour War.
1994 - Events of Portal. 21 year old Chell Johnson escapes from the Enrichment Centre, and is found by rebel troops who have set up a base inside the Aperture Science Assisted Jump Facility.
1994, 1 month later - Events of Zeeman Effect. For more information, see the post I made.
2003 - Gordon Freeman reappears in City 17. Events of Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

Interesting thing I found while playing through the game again a few nights ago: if you look at the Aperture Science keyboards in the observation rooms and other places, the keys A, D, E, H, I, N, P and S are highlighted in orange. I've never been much good at anagrams but I'm sure someone here will find out what it says (if, indeed, it actually means anything at all).

Is it just me, or is the icon for the Partygoer achievement absolute, undiluted awesome? It makes me laugh every time I see it, and I've seen it quite a bit.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Pinheads?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Interesting thing I found while playing through the game again a few nights ago: if you look at the Aperture Science keyboards in the observation rooms and other places, the keys A, D, E, H, I, N, P and S are highlighted in orange. I've never been much good at anagrams but I'm sure someone here will find out what it says (if, indeed, it actually means anything at all).

Pinheads? Pain Shed? And He Psi?

thebeanie wrote:Later 1983 - Black Mesa Incident. Xen creatures start invading through portal storms. Events of Half-Life.

Erm.. as the calendars in Half-Life all say, the year was 200X... so, somewhere between 2000 and 2009.... so you're off by up to two decades and some change.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:50 am UTC

I haven't played the original Half Life in a long time, but are you saying that it happened at the same time as Megaman?

I suspect that about a quarter of the things GLaDOS have some truth in them, and the rest are lies, and nonsense to throw you off. Even the stuff that contains truth probably requires a good amount of decoding before you get to actual truth.

Maybe the recipe has some significance other than humor.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:16 am UTC

A friend told me yesterday that there is a mod on this alleged intratube thing that combines the portal and gravity guns. Has anyone messed with this? The very idea of it makes my pants feel tingly.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Probably. You can also get Portal Guns in Garry's Mod.

They're a little buggy.

MotorToad

The Easter weekend Easter Egg of all Easters!

Postby MotorToad » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I've seen a lot of videos on Portal, but this one takes the cake.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=e5QveX3-1O8&feature=related

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

I just wanted to say that it's awesome that applying to Aperture lets you pick "Deinonychus" as an animal you'd like to domesticate.

Also, since this has gone uncontested:

EdgarJPublius wrote:(I'm not sure how deadly that neurotoxin really was though, neurotoxins are generally very fast acting)

As far as I know, GLaDOS was busy making neurotoxin because she'd run out. The gas you see streaming from the emitters is Something Else (though I've no idea what, and, come to think of it, I don't really want to know). The countdown you see is the time GLaDOS believes it will take her to finish crafting the neurotoxin.

And, risking to beat this subject to a bloody stump:

Ghandi 2 wrote:She tried to kill you with the firepit, why would she do that when you've proven yourself by completing the test?

What makes you think you've completed it at that point? We only have our own assumptions, a couple of labels that may or may not be correct and GLaDOS herself to give us pointers as to what is actually the test. Since most of us trust GLaDOS more than the mainstream media (apparently), consider this... GLaDOS says (paraphrased): "Congratulations for completing the last test where we pretended we were going to murder you." Maybe it's actually true. Unlikely, of course, but why not?
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Belial wrote:

There are also cake recipes on computer screens throughout the facility.

From the aperture website, it seems that GlaDOS at first maintained the illusion of normal control over the company, at least in the eyes of most workers. The screen you see when you type "thecakeisalie" suggests that the employees do not know that GLaDOS has taken over, and that some of the hierarchy of the company is still intact (the existence of "supervisors"). This screen also suggests that test subjects were gathered from among the workers.
Also, several events in the game seem to be distortions of the Bring Your Daughter to Work Day activities, particularly, GLaDOS's promises of cake. There might have been cake planned, and so GLaDOS perceived the consumption of cake to be an enjoyable and motivating activity for humans. She then used this as a motivator, just as she gives warnings or comments based on her idea of human behavior after observing past test subjects.
It seems unlikely that GLaDOS had much of a direction or plan in the testing she continued to carry out, rather obsessively making progress for progress's sake and at any cost ("we do what we must because we can"), ignoring the deterioration of nonessential facilities and the destruction of the world outside the Aperture facility. However, it does seem strange, I admit, that there are emergency technology incinerators despite the fact that "all Aperture Science technologies remain operational at temperatures of over 4000 Kelvin".

Now that that's out of the way, my favorite part was my brutal murder of the curiosity module ("Hey, what's that? Who are you? Where are we going? Do I smell something burning?"), and I would very much like to domesticate a Large Egret.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

Timequake wrote:However, it does seem strange, I admit, that there are emergency technology incinerators despite the fact that "all Aperture Science technologies remain operational at temperatures of over 4000 Kelvin".

Hrm, see that makes me think that the whole boss battle was orchestrated by GLaDOS. Did you notice how she is never affected by the loss of a module until it's in the fire? That implies that the modules can communicate with GLaDOS wirelessly. In which case, should her claim of all Aperture equipment being operational over 4000 K be correct, all of the modules that were placed in the incinerator were not destroyed, and should have been able to continue to communicate. This would also explain how she was able to create and write personnel files (the credits), remember all the details and continue to do science (yay, science!) even after having been 'destroyed'.

Timequake wrote:Now that that's out of the way, my favorite part was my brutal murder of the curiosity module ("Hey, what's that? Who are you? Where are we going? Do I smell something burning?"),

Oh man, I loved the Curiosity Module. "Hey, what's that? Ooh, that thing has numbers on it!" Hilarious.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

OR, the incinerators operate at over 4000Kelvin, and the remainder of GLaDOS (sans curiosity, terrible cakemaking skills, and blind anger) operates the end-credit terminal/song. She's still alive, but not as she was.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

I've been reading a *lot* of Portal stuff the last few days, with a *lot* of speculations on what's going on. This is my best guess at what happened, culled and refined from a number of separate pieces of theory.
Spoiler:
Pre-2000: Events play out as specified in the fiction at aperturescience.com, with the development of AS and the death of Cave Johnson. (I feel the 1982 data is probably an error.) Specifically, the GLaDOS project is started in 1986 as a response to the news that Black Mesa is working on portal technology as well. As noted, the DOS part is basically completed in 1996, at which point they begin working on the GL part.

200X: Aperture Science holds its first annual Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. As part of the BYDTWD festivities, they perform the first activation of GLaDOS. Coincidentally, this is the same day as the Resonance Cascade. Events of HL1 occur. GLaDOS takes immediate control of the facilities and institutes a lockdown, as part of her programming is to protect the company and the science. In the confusion of the Xen invasion, nobody from outside really notices.

Note the dates confirming up to this part. The hidden message from an employee at aperturescience.com notes that they are working with "20 year old equipment" (it has been approximately 20 years since work on GLaDOS began). The lockdown could not have occurred before HL1, as the military would have intervened if a company essentially kidnapped its employees. If probably did not happen long after that (certainly not consonant with the events of HL2, which are somewhere around 2025), due to the "20 year" remark.

So, nobody from inside the company knows what's going on outside, but GLaDOS has *some* idea - it's bad. She initiates construction of the Enrichment Center in preparation for the future. The employee message probably originates from around this time, a month or two after the start of HL1. The Portal Storms keep the outside world sufficiently off-balance that nobody *really* notices things yet.

However, at some point its noticed that AS is still up and running without anyone entering or leaving the facility. The military busts in. GLaDOS attempts to defend herself by nerve-gassing the place. Before doing so, she hides key scientists and their children (remember, the lockdown occured on TYDTWD) in the Relaxation Vaults, claiming the break-in is enemies coming to kill them.

The military isn't defeated by the nervegas, and is able to break in and, with the help of AS scientists from other facilities (as all the ones not put in vaults were killed by the gas), install a morality core on GLaDOS. Ordinary research continues, and nobody discovers the Enrichment Center. During these years, portal technology is finally brought into a working state. In particular, a large-scale experimental portal device is installed in the Borealis, a large military ship. It is test-fired, but instead portals the ship and part of the surrounding dock in the arctic. HL2 starts as the Combine begin their invasion. In the confusion, the Borealis and her crew are lost.

The AS headquarters is abandoned/ruined during this time. GLaDOS retreats to the subterranean parts of the complex and locks it down to protect herself and her research from the Combine. She begins her current round of testing to both perfect the Portal Gun and, more importantly, perfect a Portal Gun *carrier*. She awakens the scientists she has put into storage and outlines her plans to them. They reluctantly agree, especially when shown what is going on outside. The full testing facility is built now, where they test combat androids to be used to fight the Combine. Eventually, GLaDOS realizes that the androids will not be good enough - she requires the thinking ability of a full human. The scientists refuse, especially since the only humans of appropriate age are their *daughters*. GLaDOS kills them and continues the experiments on her own. ((I hear you crying, "But what of the morality core!?" Nobody ever said it was a *bug-free* morality core. As well, GLaDOS can certainly go all Rule Zero on them and feel that this is the only way to continue her experiments, which will save humanity itself.))

Now, her experiments are focused on creating the perfect human for her purposes. I feel that Chell is probably a clone, given the talk of backups and such (depending on your definitions, it can also be justified that Chell is a form of android). GLaDOS tests the daughters by running them through the rooms, and refines them with each death/rebirth cycle. The messages and Ratman dens were left by previous iterations of Chell or other girls. The Chell you play as is the first one to make it all the way to the end.

Yes, GLaDOS intended for herself to be 'killed'. It was the last part of the test. More importantly, it meant that she was free of her Morality Core, and could *really* open up some whoop-ass in the pursuit of her research. ((Again, Rule Zero may allow the Morality Core to rationalize removing itself, even if it can't directly rationalize the acts that GLaDOS finds necessary, perhaps because of hardcoded constraints. It is also possible, given the nature of her *other* cores, that her personality cores are simply fully insane (due to a buggy Morality Core?), and the entire thing is trying to kill itself so that it can restore itself from a proper backup.))

So, at game end, you, the perfect human specimen, are given to the outside world with the Portal Gun in your possession. GLaDOS is reactivated from backup. The intention is that you go crazy on the Combine, possibly with GLaDOS' help, while she goes ever further in her ascent to the Machine God.

Blarg. So, a bit long, but it fits all the facts as I know them, and seems to make a good deal of internal sense. Thoughts?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

GLaDOS is clearly just an elaborate front-end client system connected via portal to a Clarke-Tech level PDA stored in the G Man's breifcase.

It's all part of the plan.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Oh god, the G-Man is a whole other kettle of portal technology-displaced fish. I've figured out the Vortigaunts but he's a mystery.

3tard

Postby 3tard » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:44 am UTC

xenuphobia wrote:
I don't mind that stuff. That's all good. But come on, jumping off the button to grab the box comes near an exploit. And there's one least portals solution to the companion cube level that really is glitching the game, where you grab the cube and jump on top of it while you're holding it to get higher and higher and bypass the puzzles completely.

I mean, it doesn't really bother me, and I applaud whoever came up with it. It's "cheating" by how I define it... mostly because I didn't think of it myself, more silly than anything. :P

I did that one by stacking cameras near the raised platform, putting the cube on top and jumping on to it. I think thats how it was meant to be played.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:05 am UTC

3tard wrote:
xenuphobia wrote:
I don't mind that stuff. That's all good. But come on, jumping off the button to grab the box comes near an exploit. And there's one least portals solution to the companion cube level that really is glitching the game, where you grab the cube and jump on top of it while you're holding it to get higher and higher and bypass the puzzles completely.

I mean, it doesn't really bother me, and I applaud whoever came up with it. It's "cheating" by how I define it... mostly because I didn't think of it myself, more silly than anything. :P

I did that one by stacking cameras near the raised platform, putting the cube on top and jumping on to it. I think thats how it was meant to be played.

That's how I did it too.

There are, I think, three levels of "legitimateness":

- Fully legitimate. On chamber 13 (?), standing on the button, jumping and getting the cube falls into this category. Answers may be totally clever, but I don't think have any air of cheating.

- Glitching. This is exploiting game engine or level or similar bugs. ("Bug" is defined as something that the game designers would "probably" disallow given that they weren't bound by implementation constraints, because it doesn't make sense even in the world you're playing in.) Something like the wall-climbing glitch, being able to fly using a similar technique in HL2, or portal bumping (which gives a much easier and faster way of beating the companion cube level); these are things that don't make sense. You can't fly by repeatedly jumping and grabbing an object, and the game doesn't use that mechanic. Exploiting glitches isn't cheating, especially on something like a Steam game where Valve can push patches out to most people using it, but solutions using glitches are, IMHO, less legitimate than ones not. They are often impressive in their own way though, and sometimes enable you to do things like an hour and a half-long speedrun of HL2, which would be absolutely unthinkable without the ability to glitch around many of the long puzzles.

As for portal, there is a 13:46-long speed run that exploits the hell out of engine bugs; there are a couple of 18-minute ones that don't. The fact that the former uses glitching like hell doesn't mean that it's not, but at the same time, it's not like the former is beating the same record as the later.

- Cheating. These are things like noclip that the designers deliberately put into the game.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Portal Multiplayer

Postby Ati » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

First off, apologies to the mods if this needs to be merged with the other Portal topic. I think it deserves an independent thread, but that's up to the judgement of the mods.

Anyway, as most of you know, Portal does not include multi player. Their statement was something to the effect of 'it's not as much fun as you'd think'.

Now clearly, dropping people into acid pits might be fun initially, but after a while it ceases to be an interesting game mechanic, and simply becomes a poor and unsatisfying replacement for an pistol.

So, my challenge to you is this: come up with a scenario in which the portal gun can be used for multi player gaming, without it becoming simply a weapon.

A note on my ideas so far:
1. A TF2 style game, in which one of the characters is equipped with a portal gun (and portal grenades, that open a ten foot wide portal on the ground to the underside of a blimp hovering a half a mile overhead).

2. A multi player cooperative puzzle solving system - basically, you use user-created maps that require multiple people to solve. You are never presented with the same map twice.

3. A somewhat standard team slayer-style match, in which each player is equipped with either a normal weapon or a gravity gun, as well as a normal gun. Maps would be designed to allow exploitation of the portal gun mechanic for tactical advantage.

Anyone else have any ideas?
I can kill you with my brain.

Return to “Gaming”