Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Derek

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:1) How do demoman charge?

Equip charge'n'targe or splendid screen and right click.

2) Your "best points" by class, what are some good averages.
I had a 24 point engineer game, a 22 point sniper game, and then lots of 18 points games, with my worst being scout as with 5 points.

Don't worry too much about points. Especially "best point per life". Those are, by definition, outliers and not a good indicator of actual performance.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Been playing solid for a month now. Finish #1 in points 4/5 games. Need to find more challenging/competitive servers.
Also ,I have never spent $ on the game so is there a way to open the dozens and dozens of boxes I have without buying a key? And is there anyway to do th 5 man versus machines without spending money?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

Crates: The only other way to get keys is to trade for them, and until you buy at least one item, you can't do that either. And even if you do just trade weapons/metal for keys, crates will probably come in faster than sufficient weapons will.

Mann vs Machine: The advanced missions under Boot Camp are exactly the same as the advanced missions under Mann Up. The only thing that tickets will get you is an item at the end of the mission and another at the end of a tour. However, playing in Mann Up will make it more likely that you get competent teammates. Again, the tickets can be traded for, but only if you have a premium account.

If you do decide to buy something to go premium and then start selling metal, here's a tip: you can either craft 2 weapons used by the same class together to make 1 scrap metal, or, if you're more patient, you can usually trade a specific weapon for 1 scrap. Ex: Someone wants a Degreaser, you have one, and they'll give you 1 scrap for it. That way, you can potentially double how much metal you get.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

piwakawaka42

Postby piwakawaka42 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is TF2 somehwat indie-ish? What made me think of this were the deliberately cartoony graphics, the slightly unusual gameplay (engie, spy, short range for and FPS, demoknight), and the out and out crazy story.
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Well, the 9 classes originated from Team Fortress, a mod for Quake World. I suppose mods are considered indie.

But for the graphics, I think TF2's unique shading system is actually more complicated than an ordinary, more realistic one. Therefore, not something you'd expect indie devs to create.

But yes, the basic structure of the gameplay does originate from an indie game.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

piwakawaka42

Postby piwakawaka42 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Oh yeah, the shading is pretty good, especially considering how old it is. The devs deliberately made the graphics look cartoony (I think it was so that players wouldn't be surprised by rocketjumping etc), though, and thinking about how the graphical style relates to gameplay-instead of just going for the most realistic look possible-is more typical of indie games. In some ways TF2 is the best of both worlds-some indie weirdness, but with big-budget graphics.
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

Have you listened to the developer commentary? They discuss a lot of these points, it's pretty interesting.

And basically everything Valve has done is "somewhat indie-ish" :P

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Anyone still watching this thread? I was hoping for some up-to-date server recommendations. All my regular servers devolved and went pub. I was hoping that the classier crowd here could point me towards a more pleasant server.
...It made more sense in my head.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Sorry, I just bounce around pub servers with friends and stay away from any "24/7 map" servers. The only exception being 24/7 2fort when I feel like dicking around.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

I just set the list in ascending order of ping and blacklist Nightteam, pretty much.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

piwakawaka42 wrote:Oh yeah, the shading is pretty good, especially considering how old it is. The devs deliberately made the graphics look cartoony (I think it was so that players wouldn't be surprised by rocketjumping etc), though, and thinking about how the graphical style relates to gameplay-instead of just going for the most realistic look possible-is more typical of indie games. In some ways TF2 is the best of both worlds-some indie weirdness, but with big-budget graphics.

..yeah. What they started with and what we got are two completely different things. Tracking the progress is neat. Aliens! Woo!

I think the cartoon graphics are more to do with trying to remain timeless and looking good years later than anything else.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Anyone still watching this thread? I was hoping for some up-to-date server recommendations. All my regular servers devolved and went pub. I was hoping that the classier crowd here could point me towards a more pleasant server.

I mostly play on Reddit servers (Midwest, East Coast, and Dirty South, for geographical reasons) and and STAR's east coast server these days. I find that these are pretty good. They're all nocrit (I think), often play custom maps, and usually have good players. Some are all talk, some are not. STAR's does ban/ridiculously nerf some weapons that STAR hates because he's a baddie, but I mostly don't notice.

I used to be a regular on the TeamPlayerGaming server, but it almost only plays payload these days. It's still a good community if you like those maps though.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Derek wrote:Reddit servers

That's... actually where I left. Because of harassment, doxing, and generally terrible people.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 am UTC

...huh. I play on a couple Reddit servers sometimes, mostly the west coast or midwest ones. They seem like fine people to me.

How exactly do you get doxed via TF2, anyway?

Anyway, I recommend you favorite critsandvich servers and join whenever there are slots open. They're usually full, and usually at least a cut above the rest.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:How exactly do you get doxed via TF2, anyway?

I would assume thanks to Steam Profile info?

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:How exactly do you get doxed via TF2, anyway?

We had a strong, tight-knit community. Key word being "had". There were a bunch of people who were close friends. Genuine friends. Not just buddies you go hatting with. One day, a mod told us that he was getting kicked out of his apartment. The caring people donated money to him. He learned peoples' names, found their Facebooks/blogs/etc., got blackmail information, and tossed it to his minions. He even physically threatened the ones he met in person. Turns out he's a sociopath. But he really was getting eviected. It's just that he also decided to bite and rip off the hands that fed him.

He's no longer a mod. The community is dead.

The Scyphozoa wrote:critsandvich

I'll check those out. Heard good things about them.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:We had a strong, tight-knit community. Key word being "had". There were a bunch of people who were close friends. Genuine friends. Not just buddies you go hatting with. One day, a mod told us that he was getting kicked out of his apartment. The caring people donated money to him. He learned peoples' names, found their Facebooks/blogs/etc., got blackmail information, and tossed it to his minions. He even physically threatened the ones he met in person. Turns out he's a sociopath. But he really was getting eviected. It's just that he also decided to bite and rip off the hands that fed him.

He's no longer a mod. The community is dead.

Well if that's the case, it sounds to me like you won't run into any of that anymore on any Reddit servers that are still up, so...why not try them out?

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 am UTC

That was only one source of bullshit from the reddit servers. It's still a terrible, caustic place. I'd rather not play somewhere where mods tolerate people who call steamrolls "rapetrains", where slurs fly more often than bullets, and where people making mistakes are told to kill themselves.

In other words, they've gone pub.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Hm. Well, I apologize if I seem pushy, but I assure you I've never seen anything like that happen.

Specifically, there's an /r/trees server I go to sometimes.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:54 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:That was only one source of bullshit from the reddit servers. It's still a terrible, caustic place. I'd rather not play somewhere where mods tolerate people who call steamrolls "rapetrains", where slurs fly more often than bullets, and where people making mistakes are told to kill themselves.

In other words, they've gone pub.

I have never seen anything like this when I've been on a Reddit server. I'm not saying it's never happened, but it certainly hasn't been common for at least a year.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:26 am UTC

I suppose it's worth checking out again. Maybe changes have lifted it out of the cesspool it fell into. Third time's a charm.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

I was playing in a Versus Saxton Hale. When it was finally my turn to be the Saxton, I used rage three times. Just three times! Suddenly everybody starts spewing "regewhore" "fucking noob", etc. And they ban me for the server. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU ADD A FEATURE TO THE FUCKING GAME IF YOU DON'T WANT ANYONE TO USE IT? Yes I'm angry.

I don't know why I keep giving that mode a chance, I can't find a single server that's not a clusterfuck.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Versus Saxton is a neat change of pace, but can also be a complete waste of time. What gets me is when people decide to stop playing after killing 90% of the people. Especially when there isn't a time limit for the round. I haven't played it for months so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it.

My take on the rage mechanic is that people get mad because the rage mechanic is poorly designed. It takes away control from players and then they die, so it will always feel unfair to the non-Saxtons. Personally, I don't think I've ever needed to use the rage playing as Saxton once I learned all the tricks (butt-slam, super-jumping). Exception being when a Sentry is built in an area that requires jumping to. That is almost always way too annoying to do without using rage.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Vs Saxton Hale is a piece of shit game mode for people who want to play without using their brains. Don't even touch it.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

cp_standin is an official map now. The one with 3 points that are always unlocked? Yeah, that. It seemed really interesting in competitive but I don't think it's going to play out well in pubs.

...although it'll probably be better than any of the cp_steel games I've been in.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 am UTC

Okay, okay, sorry for the triple post, but the new patch is pretty big

The Escape Plan has been further nerfed. You now take mini-crits like you do with the Gloves of Running Urgently.

The Winger lets you jump higher while active.
JUMP. HIGHER. HOLY-

Mini-sentires healing while building was ACTUALLY A BUG. I thought it was intended. But now it doesn't do it anymore, which means you can destroy them with a single rocket if you shoot them before they're finished building.

The Cow Mangler has had most of its crap removed. Now it has 4 rockets, normal reload speed, normal damage, but still has the penalty against buildings and the alt-fire sentry-disabling mini-critting setting-people-on-fire shot.

No more set bonuses. This means hats are once again 100% cosmetic. A few set weapons have been reworked to include the set bonuses or something similar. For instance, the Powerjack has 15% run speed while active but 20% damage vulnerability from all sources even if not active. Ouch. Item sets have an added cosmetic affect (which applies to enemy corpses, I think).

Many other weapons were changed (those were just what I thought were the big ones), and tons of maps had exploits fixed. I don't play this game a whole lot anymore, but it's nice to keep track of what happens to it. I think I'll hop back in at least to try out that Winger.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am UTC

"Guys 80% of spies are using the Dead Ringer!"

"Maybe that means the other watches are fucking terrible and we should buff them. See, spies usually have negative impact on their team's victory chance and..."

"Let's make the dead ringer complete shit! I'm a genius!"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

I didn't even notice that one (I never play Spy, so...)
Well, it means that while it's easier to hunt the Spy down and actually kill it, it can feign death more often if you DON'T hunt it down. And I really enjoy hunting down Spies, so I think I like it, actually.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:"Guys 80% of spies are using the Dead Ringer!"

"Maybe that means the other watches are fucking terrible and we should buff them. See, spies usually have negative impact on their team's victory chance and..."

"Let's make the dead ringer complete shit! I'm a genius!"

Spies usually have a negative impact on their team's victory chance because a lot of people love to pick spy when they aren't very good at it or it's inappropriate for the situation (ie. because there are already multiple spies and snipers on the team). Buffing watches because of that is like giving Medics +600% needlegun damage so that Medics who refuse to heal aren't a detriment to their team.

Also, from a design standpoint, the Dead Ringer runs contrary to the Spy's intended feel and purpose, at least the way it's commonly used. I sometimes think that completely removing the invisibility and keeping the damage reduction wouldn't impact its use at all for a lot of spies... it's more an invulnerability watch than an invisibility watch.

Return to “Gaming”