Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:No achievement whoring, no idling, no anguished forum whining... in theory, anyway.

I'm not even sure it's safe to claim that yet. We don't even know how we get blueprints.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Right, xkcd. I have a challenge for us. Today's TF2 paper contains a bit of latin. I reckon we should try to translate it. It's mostly beyond me, but I reckon some others might be able to. There are a fair few other people trying to get it, and I think we should be first. This is good for vocab.

rates hoc rescindant dicat sum amplexas sunt barbarus! ac emanis, secarum ad expirent, cuius tepisseramm, quam civileris nonne poxisseram interdum diles sum repertire sum explicire tabernumque matra pervaditus! tu opaceram sumus opatur inexplicae! sonerintque emolar hoc quaestatrices enim savete saepete divorum! ad fentus frenave ignovos sum mereram noli insolerant, lecterat capturae.

illicite exponavi ac motit recalere! studes ad animatrix tu spiritae quare. ego lauratrices et sonorae sum sabam illud vexeras unanimorum clina sic significans tu navar, illuc maximeratis nos conorum recta.

lagoeneras quae piceratisque tu mercenicus! sic votus magiseram me mutilerat diversere sangatrices functevi recommenta. staro et pugillatat mihi ficex hit phaera agricolum an calamae damnis pro ignosci interjecticus rapidas. aliquid viterunt.

ferrisserat num suspicorum haec caballae practerum! iectisserat herodos thespa sices ubos equinat dum rapacire commotorum me excellimus

Edit: Hmm. Half the words aren't in that dictionary. I am stumped.
Last edited by Rakysh on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I'm not really sure if the crafting update is real or not... I mean you get all these people complaining about how they're making it too RPG-like... and then they go add a CRAFTING SYSTEM. It seems like it's deliberately inflamatory.

I should mention now that I'm not opposed to the crafting though.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:57 am UTC

Well, given the crappy translators out there I'm at least of the opinion that it's not Lorem Ipsum. Well, in a way it is, since Lorem Ipsum actually does mean something, at least in an unbastardized form (it's from a work by Cicero), but they used this text in the same manner and even then the translators don't recognize all the words. Who knows. But I lay you odds that given they actually made it readable this time they actually did translate something, especially given what their other titles are and the words I recognize.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 am UTC

There's also a page about a monkey, which doesn't lead anywhere. It does mention a rocket launcher which transfers fame, if that interests you.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:It does mention a rocket launcher which transfers fame, if that interests you.

I think that is more of a joke, it seems as though it's saying become as famous as him by killing him.
then again, it looks camouflaged so it could be new.
Signatures are for chumps.

CNiall

Postby CNiall » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Right, xkcd. I have a challenge for us. Today's TF2 paper contains a bit of latin. I reckon we should try to translate it. It's mostly beyond me, but I reckon some others might be able to. There are a fair few other people trying to get it, and I think we should be first. This is good for vocab.

rates hoc rescindant dicat sum amplexas sunt barbarus! ac emanis, secarum ad expirent, cuius tepisseramm, quam civileris nonne poxisseram interdum diles sum repertire sum explicire tabernumque matra pervaditus! tu opaceram sumus opatur inexplicae! sonerintque emolar hoc quaestatrices enim savete saepete divorum! ad fentus frenave ignovos sum mereram noli insolerant, lecterat capturae.

illicite exponavi ac motit recalere! studes ad animatrix tu spiritae quare. ego lauratrices et sonorae sum sabam illud vexeras unanimorum clina sic significans tu navar, illuc maximeratis nos conorum recta.

lagoeneras quae piceratisque tu mercenicus! sic votus magiseram me mutilerat diversere sangatrices functevi recommenta. staro et pugillatat mihi ficex hit phaera agricolum an calamae damnis pro ignosci interjecticus rapidas. aliquid viterunt.

ferrisserat num suspicorum haec caballae practerum! iectisserat herodos thespa sices ubos equinat dum rapacire commotorum me excellimus

Edit: Hmm. Half the words aren't in that dictionary. I am stumped.

I can't get much sense at all out of the first sentence; if it's even meant to mean something I'd say that they used a free translator or there are some weird grammatical constructs that I don't recognise. The first sentences translates to something like this, as far as I can see:
"They were setting this boat loose, he says I am they were embraced unintelligble!"

As for the rest of it, I have no idea what most of the words mean and they're certainly not in any dictionary I can find.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

That's pretty much what I got. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

CNiall wrote:"They were setting this boat loose, he says I am they were embraced unintelligble!"

"...and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!"

Besides that, I got nothin'.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Crafting. Yessssssssssssssssssss.

Though, what intrigues me the most is that picture on the top of the Crafting page. We have what appears to be a render of Saxton Hale standing behind the classes who are being amazed at crafting. I wonder, do they actually have a model for him?

If they do, I wonder what they might do with it, if anything. I bet a ton of people would have a ball with that if they could get their hands on it.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

The ghost of Mr. Hale was featured on a special edition of the Harvest map this past Halloween, according to the news sources. So yes, they do have a model.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The ghost of Mr. Hale was featured on a special edition of the Harvest map this past Halloween, according to the news sources. So yes, they do have a model.

In addition to the Zeph(can't remember how his first name goes) Mann ghost?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:
Jorpho wrote:The ghost of Mr. Hale was featured on a special edition of the Harvest map this past Halloween, according to the news sources. So yes, they do have a model.

In addition to the Zeph(can't remember how his first name goes) Mann ghost?
Acht. This is what happens when I think I can get away without verifying my citations.
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Harvest

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Looking again at that monkey page I linked, I have a feeling (and a hope) that the soldier may be getting a sword as a mêlée replacement:
The GIANT SWORD Poopy Joe would have used to fight off Soviet monkeynaut Vladimir Bananas! How do you like the taste of AMERICAN STEEL, comrade?
What with the soldier being American and being pitted against the RED demoman for the update.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

OOH! I like. I am wishing there was an update for today though... I want to see some weapons...

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:mêlée

You just HAD to be absolutely correct, didn't you?

Swords? Hell yes.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Looking again at that monkey page I linked, I have a feeling (and a hope) that the soldier may be getting a sword as a mêlée replacement:
The GIANT SWORD Poopy Joe would have used to fight off Soviet monkeynaut Vladimir Bananas! How do you like the taste of AMERICAN STEEL, comrade?
What with the soldier being American and being pitted against the RED demoman for the update.

Da Comrade! Besides, isn't the demoman a scot?

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Yeah but he's still RED
Signatures are for chumps.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Yeah but he's still RED

So's the entire red team and about half the stripes on the American flag.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Communists! All of them.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Looking again at that monkey page I linked, I have a feeling (and a hope) that the soldier may be getting a sword as a mêlée replacement:

It might be the pickaxe too. It is a digging implement like the shovel.

It could also be the bugle. I'm told that there were a lot of bugles in the American military. Or maybe the plate with the explosion on it, for the "completely unexpected" factor.

Or possibly something else entirely.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

In that case I guess we should all just be quiet until they release the weapons and not speculate at all?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 am UTC

I would be greatly entertained if the monkey was the melee weapon. You throw it and it grabs onto people.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:In that case I guess we should all just be quiet until they release the weapons and not speculate at all?

I didn't mean for that to sound as rude as it did. Sorry.

I was serious about the pickaxe, though. I think it has the best chance of all of the things on that page of being the unlockable weapon. Though a sword would be pretty cool.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:28 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I would be greatly entertained if the monkey was the melee weapon. You throw it and it grabs onto people.

Or it chases your enemies and flings poo at them.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 am UTC

I'd actually think sword for the Demo. If there's one thing I've learned from Mel Gibson, it's that Scots like their swords.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 am UTC

Making the pickaxe the extra weapon would be too anticlimactic; that said, my only real wish is that whatever the unlockable is, it lives up to all this hype.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 am UTC

Well, according to the comics, it's something explosive.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:I'd actually think sword for the Demo. If there's one thing I've learned from Mel Gibson, it's that Scots like their swords.

You were actually absolutely correct! :o
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:30 am UTC

FREAKIN WANT

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:37 am UTC

At first I was worried about it being slightly overpowered... but given that it replaces the sticky launcher I can't really see it being any worse than currently :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:At first I was worried about it being slightly overpowered... but given that it replaces the sticky launcher I can't really see it being any worse than currently :P

Until a wall of Scotsman come running at you!

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:02 am UTC

I think I might start playing demo man now...
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 am UTC

And the soldier now has a hard counter. I don't see this as a bad thing.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:21 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Toeofdoom wrote:At first I was worried about it being slightly overpowered... but given that it replaces the sticky launcher I can't really see it being any worse than currently :P

Until a wall of Scotsman come running at you!

Oh, I'm almost certain it will be ridiculous for a couple of weeks, before eventually being nerfed into something vaguely sensible. The point is, if the demo could have stickies at the same time that wouldn't be remotely possible to balance.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

I thought beheading people was the soldier's thing. Maybe his unlock will let him collect the heads or something. (edit: "we made the same offer to your friend". sounds like soldier's getting a sword too.)

And I thought close-range was supposed to be demo's weakness. Why's he getting two close-combat weapons? I'm beginning to think valve is creating unlocks that they think would be fun, not ones that fit in the role of the class (see Huntsman, Ambassador, and Sandman).
Last edited by KrazyerKate on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

I thought the point was they were trying to make these unlocks not fit with the existing role of the class so there are more roles every class can preform. At least, I thought I read something to that effect on the TF2 blog at some point.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Yeah, the entire point is that now the demo can compete at close range... if they give up the sticky launcher (the sword doesn't change range at all). Remember the flare gun and huntsman? The ambassador even counts.

Website

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I thought the point was they were trying to make these unlocks not fit with the existing role of the class so there are more roles every class can preform. At least, I thought I read something to that effect on the TF2 blog at some point.

I'm all for making new weapons with new strategies, but I like the way they made the FaN, Natascha, Axetinguisher, and Kritzkrieg. They gave us more choices, but still fit with the role of the class. Scout still had to move quickly in and out of combat, Pyro was still best up close, Medic still healed people, etc. I'd be a much happier player if the demoman were getting cool new ways to shoot around corners, kill sentries, and set traps, instead of just getting some scottish-themed weaponry.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

And every other class would hate demo even more... with the replacement primary, whatever it is, you'll get more ways to blow shit up. Remember that the sword is just a melee replacement like the axtinguisher, KGB or ubersaw anyway, so part of your point seems invalid already. Heavies, snipers and scouts only got one new way to shoot stuff. Plus the sticky launcher is ridiculously versatile already.\

Basically, I disagree entirely.

EDIT: Also, remember that shooting close range grenades with a shield will be perfectly viable, because they do 65% less of their already reduced damage.

Website

Return to “Gaming”