Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Midnight

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Midnight » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:14 am UTC

tf2 is already more about teamwork than say, counterstrike. plus that class is horribly unbalanced unless you add a clause so that all the leaders on the team share a cooldown for team mode. that way you don't have 8 of them giving +400 hp to a heavy/medic team, nor do you have a group of them just rotating their cooldowns.

i think nine is fine, imo.
uhhhh fuck.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:46 am UTC

The whole point of the ckass is that they help the rest of the team greatly when used right but die quickly as Hell.
I dont really think six or more og them with a heavy medic combo would be too powerful. All you need to do is attack them first and then the hea/med combo is the same as a normal one.
Although, giving them reduced speed or health (less ammo too) wouldn't hurt too much.

(also, even if nine is fine I'm just saying what I would like)

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:49 am UTC

The tenth class is the Announcer and she's only allowed to play once, and one team at a time.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:*Squad Leader*

Mechanic should be tied to a weapon, secondary shouldn't be indirect fire, and I think being able to undisguise spies for a lower crit rate is silly because crits would just kill them anyway (albeit at a lower rate) and are more valuable in general.

Also the name would tend to give jackasses a sense of entitlement, which is not good.

I like the idea, though.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

I just threw it together in five minutes, don't expect it to be the final version.
As for the name, yeah, that wasn't a great idea. I'll fix it up later with some of your suggestions.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:08 am UTC

I'd have thought that if they were going to add another class, they'd go with something from the original TFC, namely the Civilian. Something carefully nerfed and yet potentially vaguely useful in the right hands, for the "hardcore" crowd.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'd have thought that if they were going to add another class, they'd go with something from the original TFC, namely the Civilian. Something carefully nerfed and yet potentially vaguely useful in the right hands, for the "hardcore" crowd.

The reason we love TF2 is because it isn't "hardcore". Anyone who plays for intense skills plays CounterStrike or Call Of Duty. However, the civilian definitely needs more presence in the game. maybe not as a playable class, but definitely should be given a nod.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:The reason we love TF2 is because it isn't "hardcore".
Zuh?

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

It can be and is, but the communities tend to be much smaller than those behemoths of competitive gaming you mentioned.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:23 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'd have thought that if they were going to add another class, they'd go with something from the original TFC, namely the Civilian. Something carefully nerfed and yet potentially vaguely useful in the right hands, for the "hardcore" crowd.

The civilian's been in the game since release, despite Valves many and varied attempts to patch him out.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:
It can be and is, but the communities tend to be much smaller than those behemoths of competitive gaming you mentioned.

yes, competetive TF2 exists. No, we shouldn't add weapons/classes specifically geared toward those small communities.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Special Halloween update! With hats! And pumpkins! And a ghost! And the thriller dance!
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Ah, so that's why it was being sold for $2.49 earlier today.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:37 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:Special Halloween update! With hats! And pumpkins! And a ghost! And the thriller dance!

Yes, they claimed to released it the 29th. They *lied!*
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

I liked how the update url called it the "pumpkin patch".
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:Special Halloween update! With hats! And pumpkins! And a ghost! And the thriller dance!

I've got my Ghastly Gibus now. I shall be wearing it for some time.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Just went 19-1 as Spy on the new Halloween map. Was great fun. :D :D

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Hopefully when my internet unshapes, everyone will have finished farming and start playing.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:42 am UTC

*has the Gibus*

Dominated that scout's ass.. teehee

Linz

Postby Linz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Really needs more people in the competitive community - 6v6 that is. It's a really fun game :) If you don't have it - buy it!

Andvari

Postby Andvari » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I've been using the huntsman a lot lately, and I think I've gotten pretty good with it. You seem to get a feel for the aiming, it's quite fun.
Also, huntsman sniper with bills hat looks extremely cool.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:38 am UTC

I need to mess with my button layout, was hoping you guys could help me.

For TF2, you need:
left/right/forward/backwards
reload
call for medic
switch weapons
jump
crouch
microphone
fire
alt-fire
last disguise (for spy)

Right now, I use WASD for movement, but maybe moving it to something like UHJK would open up more buttons or something. Reload is SHIFT because my pinky finger isn't doing anything anyway (should I just do without the reload key now that auto-reload is an option?). 'medic' is E, and weapon-switch is Q, which get annoying because I can't strafe left if I'm switching weapons or right when i'm calling for medic. jump is nice at the spacebar because my thumb isn't doing anything. crouch is ctrl, which requires me to stop reloading and take my pinky off the shift key. the voice key is V, which means I can't jump and talk at the same time because my thumb does both. last disguise is way out of the way at B, which is pretty awkward, but I can't think of a better place for it.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:16 am UTC

My layout:

` = console
1,2,3,4,5 = weapons
q = previous weapon
w,a,s,d = movement
e= medic
r = disguise as friendly pyro
f = disguise as enemy pyro
t = chat
y = teamchat
u = spray
z,x,c = various voice commands
lshift = taunt
ctrl = crouch
space = jump
v = voice chat
. = change team
, = change class
m = change loadout
mouse1 = fire
mouse 2 = secondary fire
mouse 3 = reload
mousewheel = scroll weapons
mouse5 = use
num8 = build sentry
num2 = build dispensor
num4 = build tele entrance
num6 = build tele exit
num7 = destroy sentry
num9 = destroy dispensor
num1 = destroy tele entrance
num3 = destroy tele exit
home = explode
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

I have a pretty run-of-the-mill layout, with a few extra functions.
Spoiler:
WASD = movement
Caps = mic
Shift = crouch
Space = jump
Tab = Show score
e = call for medic
r = reload
q = last weapon
1,2,3,4 = weapons
b = disguise as blue sniper
v = disguise as red sniper
f = last diguise
g = taunt
k = explode
z,x,c = talk menus
mouse1 = primary fire
mouse2 = alt fire or rocketjump if I'm soldier
mouse3 = drop intel
mousewheel = jump
Don't leave out reload. I would get very annoyed if I could only reload by emptying a clip. I have my pinky on Shift for crouch usually, and move my ring finger between A, caps and Tab and z. My middle finger goes between W, S, 1,2,3 and x. My index finger goes between D, E, R, 4 and all the misc functions to the right of it (c,v,b,f,g,t), which means I usually only have to tap a key and then return to D. My thumb never leaves space. If I'm crouching (pinky on shift) and want to use the mic (caps) I use my ring finger for caps.
It works pretty well, except that I can't crouch and use the mic and strafe left all at the same time, which are the only buttons that need holding apart from wasd.

m42a

Postby m42a » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

You don't need reload anymore because auto-reload reloads when you let go of fire, not when you're done with a clip, so it functions as if you hit reload immediately after firing. You can always fire to interrupt the animation (unless you have no ammo) so unless you want to stay with less loaded ammo for some reason there's no disadvantage.

If you only have a 2 or 3 button mouse, I'd recommend getting one with at least 5 buttons. I've used the Logitech mx310, which has 5 buttons (3 on top and one on each side) for over 3 years, and its only like $13. You can then bind weapon-switch to the middle mouse, and put medic and voice on the side buttons. Then you can bind last disguise to v, which won't be awkward because you don't need to hold it down. You could also bind crouch to shift since you don't need reload.
Please reference comic numbers in the text of your post, not just the links. Hyperlinks are not searchable.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

m42a wrote:You don't need reload anymore because auto-reload reloads when you let go of fire, not when you're done with a clip, so it functions as if you hit reload immediately after firing. You can always fire to interrupt the animation (unless you have no ammo) so unless you want to stay with less loaded ammo for some reason there's no disadvantage.
Ah, I wasn't aware of this, since I haven't been playing for a while. Does seem to make the reload button pretty redundant.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:34 am UTC

I'd recommend a 5 button mouse. Mousewheel up for primary weapon, mousewheel down for secondary, first thumb button for melee, attack to one of the large mouse buttons, and secondary attack to the second thumb button.

Then you should have MORE than enough keys left to bind everything else. It's very important to be able to choose the right weapon instantly.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

I've heard several conflicting things about an Xbox update for TF2. Probably, they'll wait for all the class updates to be finished before releasing it, but I've heard concerns that the update is too large for the xbox (that is, it won't fit in the file-size limits for updates/addons for xbox live games) and/or that M$ won't allow such a major update to be released for free (And valve won't make players pay for it)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

That's because it costs money to host stuff; Microsoft makes devs charge for DLC to cover their costs. Otherwise, a bunch of sequential updates the likes TF2 has gotten would seriously hurt Microsoft; I suspect they're waiting for Valve to finish the whole project, and only roll out one update. You could keep it small by only including some of the content.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Considering Microsoft charges for online play to begin with, and the fact that the per-megabyte bandwidth cost of a service as big as that is pretty much as near zero as you can get, the only reason they want to charge is to prevent other developers from releasing free updates. I think they're taking the long view and saying "well, if these people start putting out free updates, then free updates might start being normal, and that hurts our profit margins".

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:25 am UTC

They seem to not get the fact that free updates are a damn good way of enticing customers. L4D2, despite all the drama about it being a half-assed sequel, is still popular partially because people know the "final product" will be more than what is in stores right now.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I just bought the Orange Box a few days ago, and TF2 is amazing. I had an incredible stroke of luck earlier today. I picked off 37 people as sniper, mostly heavy/medic teams, without dying. Of course, they noticed, and after they did kill me, there was a level 3 sentry there when I got back. that's fucking annoying.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Yea, that kind of thing happens a lot, any time someone has a string of good luck in a spot, someone usually either sets up an engineer base there, or camps it as a C&D spy.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I never thought It'd happen, but I started playing Sniper.

It's all because of the Huntsman. It makes such a satisfying noise when you hit someone with it. I had SO much fun today just letting those arrows fly. And of course I take jarate cause it's super fun and awesome..... (the Razorback is so not worth it)

Also, I'm happy that I realized that you can still get unlockables by getting achievements, I thought I was just going to have to wait forever to get some cool weapons. I'm glad that I can actually do something to work towards them. (Yay Sandvich!)

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:I never thought It'd happen, but I started playing Sniper.

It's all because of the Huntsman. It makes such a satisfying noise when you hit someone with it. I had SO much fun today just letting those arrows fly. And of course I take jarate cause it's super fun and awesome..... (the Razorback is so not worth it)

I love razorback snipers. They never pay any attention, and make easy revolver kills.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:12 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:
Wyvern wrote:I never thought It'd happen, but I started playing Sniper.

I love razorback snipers. They never pay any attention, and make easy revolver kills.

Or even better, if you Have the ambassador, you're pretty much guaranteed a crit, since they rarely move at all. Don't you love that false sense of security that the razorback provides?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:19 am UTC

I really ought to give this another try sometime. But how do you find a good server? The only ones my friends regularly play on is full of experienced players who know all the tricks, or so it seems. (That's why they disabled cool-looking maps like Egypt.)

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:53 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I really ought to give this another try sometime. But how do you find a good server? The only ones my friends regularly play on is full of experienced players who know all the tricks, or so it seems. (That's why they disabled cool-looking maps like Egypt.)

Egypt is pretty unbalanced. First stage favours the defenders to the point where a prepared and coordinated team of 12 should be able to hold it indefinitely, even against triple/quad uber pushes. The rest of the map is a walkover for the attackers. Also, it's really easy to get lost in. As for good servers - look for servers provided by ISPs, they tend to run vanilla settings and map rotations.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:23 am UTC

All I know is that, as a spy, I fear smg snipers with the sound turned right up the most. The majority of Jarate snipers will lose in a one on one to a spy with the revolver if they hear me, but smg snipers tend to beat me. Personally I'm currently loving the various iterations of Orange_3x maps. They are the bomb, often have FaN banned and are just nicer people.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:40 am UTC

So, I started playing again, and not just griefing (though I did come up with an awesome grief that involves multiple medics and nothing that directly hurts the team, but still ends up in a lot of kicks). I still want the Soldier, Demo and Engie updates. Engie should get something that gives him more offensive/interesting options, instead of just sitting, whacking things with a wrecnch. For demo, maybe a short range option. Soldier I haven't a clue for, but I like playing soldier and I would be interested to see what they come up with for him.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Return to “Gaming”