Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

benbw

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby benbw » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Missouri (GMT-6), can be available 4-9 weekdays, most times on weekends.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Just saw you benbw, although it seemed like the lag wasn't too good for you.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Eastern US (GMT-5 I think); whenever I can get time.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Central US (I think it's GMT -6)
Available sometimes during 5-6pm, 7-10pm, 7-8am on Tuesday - Friday, the same on Monday, but 7-8:15am instead of 7-8. Weekends, I'm far more likely to be available, especially 11am Saturday - 1am Sunday, noon Sunday - midnight.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I want to talk about a map called Sawmill, but I don't know if anyone here has played it. Anyone? Touch the saw for free blowjobs and pudding!

It's a really good one, considering it's custom, and it looks like something Valve could pick up for their stock. Excellent detail, smart design, and a combination of payload and capture the point.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

I just played Sawmill, actually. It's pretty fun, but it seems a bit easy for the red team. I've never seen BLU win it.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Really?
I've never seen Red win that map, no matter which team I play.
It's pretty cool though, other than the one time I managed to run into the saw and die.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

markiiu wrote:Really?
I've never seen Red win that map, no matter which team I play.
It's pretty cool though, other than the one time I managed to run into the saw and die.

My people keep trying to pick up the medpack and die...

Also, I've won on that map as RED plenty of times. Our strategy is usually to set up a base at A. They want to take B and C? Let em! They'll probably get it anyway, so focus your sentries at A. And if they take it at the start, they sometimes don't even get one minute extra.

I find pyro and spy very effective on RED on that map. Mainly at A, because there are two routes. If BLU comes one, go the other and take 'em from behind.
~Sun Tzu

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

I've just started playing this myself :)
Behind the times I know. But anyway, I'm having fun. I think I like Engineer and Pyro best so far.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:16 am UTC

Two fairly disparate classes. The class designed to camp and the suicidal rushing maniac.
One day something wity and original will appear here

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

Suicidal rushing maniac pyros tend to irritate me far more than their more cautious and calculated counterparts. (Alliteration x3 bonus!)
You have no idea how many times this has happened to me: There's a pyro a short distance away from me. Both of us at full health. I hit him in the face with a rocket as he runs towards me throwing flame everywhere. He gets to me, I hit him in the face with a rocket again, he dies to the rocket and I either die to the rocket splash or take enough damage that I burn to death in a few seconds. Pyro giggles. :evil:
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

i miss my 50+ health. Used to be able to rinse almost any other class out like a flannel at close range.

Now i have to use tactics gadamit :)

guyy

Postby guyy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:47 am UTC

Today I played as Scout, got attacked by a Pyro, ran away from him at an angle to avoid his flames while I shot him to death...then got accused of hacking, presumably because I didn't even get set on fire. I guess I'm getting pretty good at this. :P [/brag]

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:Suicidal rushing maniac pyros tend to irritate me far more than their more cautious and calculated counterparts. (Alliteration x3 bonus!)
You have no idea how many times this has happened to me: There's a pyro a short distance away from me. Both of us at full health. I hit him in the face with a rocket as he runs towards me throwing flame everywhere. He gets to me, I hit him in the face with a rocket again, he dies to the rocket and I either die to the rocket splash or take enough damage that I burn to death in a few seconds. Pyro giggles. :evil:

Do not complain about the pyro. W+M1 is the easiest pyro tactic to counter if you do it right. By the way, that's a long post, so you're want to ctrl+f "newbie pyro". As you can see, almost any class can beat a "suicidal rushing maniac pyro" if they work it right.

If he got ya, that's because he trapped you in a close encounter in an enclosed space, whic is how pyroes are supposed to operate. Besides breaking up lines and spychecking, of course. A death for a kill is bad. If it were me, I'd have reflected your rockets back at you before you caught fire.
~Sun Tzu

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

That post wrote:Or they’ll just hit you directly, in which case, you’re dead.
This is false. But yeah, my gripe is that it's not hard at all to do well as a pyro if you're already at close range. Almost all of the advice in that post only applies if you're a fair distance out of the range of the flamethrower, and since they increased the range and reduced damage fall off, you have to be fairly far away to effectively fight a pyro. I'm not saying pyros are OP, it's just annoying to die to mindless pyros if you happen to run around a corner into one (and W+M1 does work at close range). Like getting sniped while cloaked or something.

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:
That post wrote:Or they’ll just hit you directly, in which case, you’re dead.
This is false. But yeah, my gripe is that it's not hard at all to do well as a pyro if you're already at close range. Almost all of the advice in that post only applies if you're a fair distance out of the range of the flamethrower, and since they increased the range and reduced damage fall off, you have to be fairly far away to effectively fight a pyro. I'm not saying pyros are OP, it's just annoying to die to mindless pyros if you happen to run around a corner into one (and W+M1 does work at close range). Like getting sniped while cloaked or something.

Course not! Of course you're going to press W rather than just stand there, but I find a lot of places fairly good for fighting them. If they catch you close range, then they meant to do that.

Plus, I've headshot a few pyros just before the flames hit me before. At least 2 or 3 times. They expect you to panic and miss, so don't do that.
Scouts may have it harder, for example, but just do weapon swap. You're speed allows you to get out of and within range fast. When they swap to the flamethrower, run out of range and pistol them, which forces the shotgun or flare gun out, neither terribly powerful. When they do do that, equip scattergun and run back in, take a couple of shots, then run before they can get the flamethrower back out.
~Sun Tzu

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 am UTC

scout will always beat a pyro in an open environment starting out of flame range.

However dying to a scout is still shameful, you have enough health that when the scout starts pistoling you you can just run to the nearest enclosed space.

Also i have never used the standard flamethrower after the backburner came out so ive never realy tried reflecting stuff. Imo criticals in the back is far more awsome in most situations than reflection could ever be so ive steered clear.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

The backburner is really nice, but the airblast can be so useful. I play pyro a lot and I am continuously switching between them because when I have the backburner I get think "wow, I really wish I could airblast stuff" and when I have the regular flamethrower i think "I really wish I had the backburner right now." It's really difficult for me to choose and usually just comes down to which is better for the particular situation.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

I play a lot of soldier, and I usually have no trouble against pyros unless they get me from behind in an enclosed space. Even then I win about half the time. I've found that rocket-jumping is the key. If a pyro comes charging right at me I jump backwards while firing a rocket at the ground between us, usually sending both of us flying in different directions giving me lots of space to work with. If you've got lots of room overhead you could also rocket-jump straight up. Most people get confused when their prey suddenly moves vertically, and as a soldier there's nothing as easy as killing someone who's directly beneath you. For over an hour I dominated a newbie pyro who for the life of him couldn't figure out where I went when I did that, and would stop and stand completely still whenever I "disappeared", giving me a perfect kill shot. This has some success even against expert tennis players.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Pick up the flamethrower and give it a shot sometime. It's not easy, but when you successfully kill him (and possibly even a group of his friends) with his own crit rocket, ohmyscience, it is so satisfying.

I have as of yet to kill more than two with a soldiers own crit; I'll let you know how that turns out.

Berengal has the right idea, though. Rocket jump, and the pyro can do naught to use the soldiers rocket against him, unless he happens to get that ridiculously lucky shot.
~Sun Tzu

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

If you don't have AB and you wind up in a duel versus a good soldier you are toast. So my recommendation is that when you have a pocket medic use the Backburner to take full advantage of an uber (circle strafe for quicker deaths during uber) and if you don't have a dedicated medic use the AB for better survival on your own (good soldier vs good pyro becomes a standoff and you can counter ubers and save sentries.)

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

In my experience i win most pyro vs soldier duels. Ever since pyros were given at all ranges when the flames are connecting rather than increasing depending on distance pyros have been able to toast soldiers at decent enough range that its hard to get a rocket in at the pyros feet.

Soldiers haven't scared me for a while tbh, easily ran down and not that effective apart from when spamming rockets into decently enclosed spaces.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Nice to see you on mosc, very good soldier and medic.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Nice to see you on mosc, very good soldier and medic.

That server was frustrating. I had never seen those maps before!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Yeah, the maps tend to be a mix of 60% custom/ 40% official, but it changes from time to time. The whole server was a bit lacking however due to not enough of the clan/server regulars on, otherwise it might have been a little faster paced.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Custom maps r betterer!

You get off stock maps after a while playing. Sure, they're good fun, but you want new things. Places where people haven't mastered every nook and cranny there is. Interesting designs, man! And of course, to get outta that desert every now and then.

Then you want the map remakes. I've been doing some zf_dustbowl recently. And I like it.
~Sun Tzu

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

I miss alot of the low-gravity maps where you're inside of a giant room, like a bedroom or kitchen, from TFC. They're bringing some of those back though.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

ctf_toy_fort's practically been around since TF2 came out of beta. You should try that one.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

They're still fixing Toy Fort. I've played on like 5 different versions and most of them were overly defensive, impossible to advance. One was a snipe fest, another had the center point so hard to advance from that it turned into a killbox. Etc etc...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

On alot of the TFC "giant room" maps when snipers were disabled the map became 2x better. Then when sniper wannabe's whine, we pointed them towards a server that hosts the same map thats "sniper only."

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Question 1: Is it at all necessary to join clans or groups and/or do clan members get some sort of perk that I'm not aware of?

Question 2: Is it worth it to go to an achievement server instead of playing for who knows how long to get the Heavy/Medic/Pyro equipment?
Insert witty phrase here.

benbw

Postby benbw » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:54 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Question 2: Is it worth it to go to an achievement server instead of playing for who knows how long to get the Heavy/Medic/Pyro equipment?

It all depends on how you view it. If you would get some satisfaction from doing it "normally", just wait it out. But otherwise, just speed through them on an achievement server. I know I enjoyed the equipment way more than the time I spent trying to get the achievements in an actual game.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Question 1: Is it at all necessary to join clans or groups and/or do clan members get some sort of perk that I'm not aware of?

Depends on the clan/group. Some groups give admin status to their members, some have reserve slots for members (the server looks like it's full but really there are one or two slots for clan members to join), some do nothing. It's really about the community and getting to know others, although some groups invite everyone that plays on their server.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Question 2: Is it worth it to go to an achievement server instead of playing for who knows how long to get the Heavy/Medic/Pyro equipment?
I would point out that unlike when they were first released, you no longer need to achieve ALL of them in order to unlock the upgrades. Also, they have backed off some of the absurdly hard ones that were on the medic list (healing 10,000 for example). Basically I'm saying you can achieve enough to get all 3 unlocks without really worrying about it over the course of a few hours. Especially if you read what they are first and try to incorporate them into your playing a little which can add enjoyment in itself.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

Yeah, the medic achievements were pretty difficult to get, but the heavy achievements are much much easier, and you don't have to do much that you wouldn't be doing anyway. Although I didn't find the 10 000 healing in one life (current best is 14600) achievement as difficult as some of the other ones, like the the 20 heavy assists or assisting a scout in getting 3 kills in one uber.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Well I play on high skill servers most of the time. 20 assists is not that bad on a defense map but staying alive long enough to rack in 10k healing is absurd. Hell, half the time the maps don't last long enough for that to be possible anyway even if you never die. My record for medic assists is actually 36... not all on one heavy though (I think that was like 23). Course, you need a decent heavy to follow around doing little else but avoiding death while maintaining stream. A waste.

Anyway, 3 scout kills in 1 uber is absurd I agree. I did get 2 one time though but the only reason I ubered the scout was to try and get the achievement. It was hardly normal play. Having a scout kill anything with an uber on is enough of a pain. They are likely to run out of your uber range and their gun does little damage. Again a waste.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Enough with the achievements ranting! You're lazy, we get it! Asterisk.

Personally, I'm proud to have never touched an achievements server. Don't have the KGB or the Ubersaw, but those are my least played classes anyway.
Except for that one time where a friend told me to go to that server IP, which turned out to be an achievement server in Mexico. I know, because it's named "Grubas Nabijacz" or something, there was some Spanish text, and my ping there was like 250. I left. He probably just wanted to put that onto my server history, the douche.

Yes, that asterisk is there for a reason, but if you zoomed in to read this text because you were expecting content other than "Kidding", then you just lost twenty dollars and my self respect. WOO!
~Sun Tzu

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Start TF2 for the first time in several weeks. Join server. Try Heavy because he's gotten an update since last time. Kill 10 people, win the map, get 4 achievements in the process, all without dying even once.

Sometimes it takes very little for the narcissist in me to come out.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I understand the trick to that scout-medic achievement is to use the Kritzkrieg instead of the usual Medigun.

I wanted to get the "Rationing" achievement for Heavy, but people during a normal game got annoyed at me for mucking about with the shotgun, and when I logged into an achievement server, the other jerks ignored my pleas of "plz stop killing me kthx" and I could never stay alive long enough to get rid of 999 rounds of minigun ammo.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I understand the trick to that scout-medic achievement is to use the Kritzkrieg instead of the usual Medigun.

I was under the impression it would only work with the Medigun.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “Gaming”