Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CVSoul

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby CVSoul » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Some of the art for this game is fantastic, and not all of it is stupid spy jokes.
But most of it is.

WAS GOOD TRIP

Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Oh man.

Oh man.

Oh man!

That was awesome.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Oh man.

Oh man.

Oh man!

That was awesome.
Indeed. Especially since I'm listening to Are You Experienced? Which is one of the most fucking trippy songs ever.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Dustbowl and Beyond the Infinite

Jarazon

Postby Jarazon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I've been getting really into TF2 recently, and found that my new favorite class is offensive engineer, anyone else in the same boat trying to spawn camp with a sentry gun?

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Jarazon wrote:I've been getting really into TF2 recently, and found that my new favorite class is offensive engineer, anyone else in the same boat trying to spawn camp with a sentry gun?

Welcome to the forums, please enjoy your stay here and remember to cap:
-the Rules
-the Intro Thread
preferably in that order, so we can get to know a little more about you :D

But as to offensive engineer, I don't see it as often anymore but if you have a set of friends you might want to try this:
1 Pyro + Uber Medic to clear out opening rush/path
2 Engineers, including yourself so you can set up the sentry and have a mate help you get it to level 3 quickly.

Especially if you help your partner in setting up a second sentry at different angles out of range of a decent Demoman you can keep the enemy spawn camped until they uber out or rush the whole team out at the same time. Maps that lend themselves to this are single door spawns, like the early levels of Dustbowl and Goldrush.

...Not that I've ever participated in doing such a thing, even though spawn camping isn't a crime, uh... *Cloaks*

Skofo

Postby Skofo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Offensive engineers (and any engineers, really) are pretty much only useful when the opposing team isn't at all organized. So if you're on that type of server, you could probably set one up right by enemy spawn and kill at least a half dozen with ease.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Offensive Engineers work well on Goldrush, at least. I've played it a few times and you just have to be able to recognise a lull in the action and utilise it to move the gear up so you can gain ground and create a dense choke point where all your sentries and teleports are, making that area really difficult to get past. I finally understand the use of the "Move gear up!" voice-chat phrase now.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Offensive Engineers work well on Goldrush, at least.

Speaking of which, the tunnel behind red spawn on the first cap is a rude place for a tele. The only thing that keeps it from being unfair is that there is always that one idiot who does not wait for the sparkles to stop before leaving.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

http://www.1fort.com/blog/no-further-tf ... ntil-2009/

So, no more class packs until next year. Am I surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

As for offensive engineering: I haven't tried it much myself, but I imagine it'd work a lot better if you have a few teammates to help defend your buildings as you're getting your base set up. Could be pretty effective, though.
All is well. We are not like the others.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

I gots a question!

I've heard someplaces that you can play songs from the Valve category (say, you have Portal: Still Alive) in the folders somewhere (and I've heard it done) through voicechat. Does anyone know how to do this, and can I add my own music to the folder to play them?

I ask because it's hard to micspam with my phone when the songs have a high snare drum. *wink wink

On another note: It's beginning to look a lot like Dustbowl...
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

You mean HLSS?

Some servers will auto mute anyone that tries to use HLSS, however, so watch out. (If it's what you're looking for)

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:You mean HLSS?

Some servers will auto mute anyone that tries to use HLSS, however, so watch out. (If it's what you're looking for)

Maybe that's it. It could very well be, because that Still Alive is great quality. And I don't think the server does that because he plays that kind of quality music. I'll take a looksee.
~Sun Tzu

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

It'll give you great quality music as it somehow taps the music files straight in, but some people hate it because players use it to grief. You know, Pole Position, sounds that annoy everyone, "Sailor Moon" during the humiliation round...

Like I said, some servers allow it, some don't. While it's nice, I think I prefer the game without HLSS - one less avenue for griefers.

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:It'll give you great quality music as it somehow taps the music files straight in, but some people hate it because players use it to grief. You know, Pole Position, sounds that annoy everyone, "Sailor Moon" during the humiliation round...

Like I said, some servers allow it, some don't. While it's nice, I think I prefer the game without HLSS - one less avenue for griefers.

Hah! Suck it! I usually play with the console around, so if you're griefing, you die. Again and again.
~Sun Tzu

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Hah! Suck it! I usually play with the console around, so if you're griefing, you die. Again and again.
...Huh?

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
GCM wrote:Hah! Suck it! I usually play with the console around, so if you're griefing, you die. Again and again.
...Huh?
I think he's possibly an admin on a server to which he can simply use the console to set people on fire (forever, until they leave, does not disappear with water or health), kill them instantly, etc.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 am UTC

But...but...griefing is so much fun! ...Eventually.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:he can simply use the console to set people on fire (forever, until they leave
That is an entertaining gaming concept.
guyy wrote:But...but...griefing is so much fun! ...Eventually.
Nifty! I feel so much better about just not playing very well now. (So why don't those people get banned, exactly?)

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 am UTC

I like the trivia quizzing. All the rest is just pointless annoyance. The trivia turns it into a classhole-y act, instead of an action of a mere run-of-the-mill asshole.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:33 am UTC

aion7 wrote:

I like the trivia quizzing. All the rest is just pointless annoyance. The trivia turns it into a classhole-y act, instead of an action of a mere run-of-the-mill asshole.

I dunno; carefully arranging teleporters and sentries to form a deathtrap probably qualifies as classholery. They did have to set it up so the sentries couldn't see the teleporters (or they'd destroy them). But TF2 Trivia could actually be fun if you did it in an organized way (affects both teams, same list of questions, etc.)

Also, today someone decided to imitate Navi by randomly saying "HEY!" over the mic. It was...odd.

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Seen it. Done that. Have never griefed in my life.

There was this one guy called "Dude!" when we were on steamroll, who took the intel (everyone was dead) and ran to the opponents point at the last second (so we stalemated). Some of us thought he was just an idiot, but he tried pulling that trick again, so one of the admins who just happened to be playing killed him. That is, he exploded into giblets.

Ahh, command "explode".

Seriously though, grief us, and I'll join the other team and make your game a living hell. If you don't think so, and don't mind anyway, most of us know the admins.
~Sun Tzu

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Speaking of voicechat...

I remember this one guy who whenever he killed someone would yell something along the lines of "Oh yeah! OWNED" but in a smooth, over-emphasized deep voice (that he was putting on). And I think in the very same game someone else would sing "OWNED!" at the top of their voice in a falsetto to rival Michael Jackson each time they killed.

Man they were annoying. Gotta love voicechat elsewise, though. Me and sleepy-G joined a CP in orange_x and we both had voicechat, so we ended up commandeering leadership of the team and pushing them on to victory (which doesn't happen very often in orange_x). We even lowered the number of inept Snipers by suggesting they go Engineer to reinforce the position at the top of the tower! Huge success.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

...Please no orange_x. There's no style or soul to that map, just 30 minutes of "I'm gonna learn how to use this SDK thingy, and then make a sniper map!" Then every inept sniper joins, the ones that know there are maps other than 2fort and those custom maps are all for sniping or achievements, and every team gets burdened with 6 snipers a piece, of which the one regular has 400+ points from continually sniping anything that moves. You, the lone demoman sticky-jump cap everything and manage to gain ground after 20 suicide attempts with instant respawn, to which the snipers congratulate themselves on killing the other team long enough for you to cap the tower, although it was the level three sentry up there that would kill you time and time again. Enemy scouts are deployed to recap points while your snipers are still outside spawn, leaving them unable to see through the fog to even attempt to shoot an anti-class. And eventually, through slogging across every point, pushing harder and harder to cap and re-cap, yelling at teammates to move up or shut up and countless deaths you win the round. Only to realize that you've still got two more rounds before the map changes to... orange_x, and you wonder how you misclicked on the 24/7 server and promptly Get The Fuck Out.

It makes me cry inside ;_;

It also works for any other "simpler" designed maps.
Last edited by ArchangelShrike on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

By the way, how does one find an Achievement server? I've not figured that out either. (So much to learn...)

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Sort your maps column in descending order, and you'll find achievement servers at the top of the list. Most if not all maps conform to the naming convention where the first two/three letters declare the type of map, then the name of map and finally version of map, such as ctf_avantiville_b42, declaring it's a CTF mode, map Avanti, version 4.2 (the creator needs help with this). There are a few exceptions to the first part, such as achievement servers where the maps usually start with "achievement_nomnomnom_v3" or something like that, "surf"/"soccer"/"tennis" maps, mod gameplay maps like "zf"/Zombie Fortress, and then orange_x and the other maps that decide to leave people in the dark as to what kind of mode.

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I was playing on a server today, and the map fell to Badwater Basin, I rolled red, and went demo. There's a ledge next to blu spawn (To the right if you're red) that's too high to rocket jump to, but demos can get there and lay stickies all around. I got up there, and started blasting, but was warned for exploiting by someone, and decided to leave before I was banned. The reason cited for the warning was that not everyone can get there, and that you're hard to kill up there, but I've seen it on other servers, and I've killed people up there/ been killed while up there. What's everyone's opinion on it? (And yes, they were an admin, afaik)

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Heavy says: "Booo!!!"

No achievement servering! I could argue that it's meta-cheating, but lemme say this. Since you don't have these weapons, I'm assuming you're fairly new. Because of that, not playing by itself would leave you shorthanded, since the weapons require more skill to actually operate anyway.

Okay, maybe not the primary weapons, but think about the axtinguisher. How it does incredibly little when you're enemy's not on fire. Or the KGB and Ubersaw. They have slower firing rates, so you'll have to try and actually land hits, rather than just holding down the button.

EDIT: Quote guy right before me.

Oh yeah! I was just on Badwater, and one of the admins who was playing was warning this guy about exploiting something. I wasn't sure what, to the point I thought it was my tele on the BLU spawn line, because it didn't effect me. I did hear something about "Not everyone can get up here", so I think it's that.
~Sun Tzu

markiiu

Postby markiiu » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Yeah, I was on axl, it was me being demo, not your tele. It's true that not everyone can get up there, in that not all classes can get there, but all demos (as far as I know) can get there.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:31 am UTC

GCM wrote:No achievement servering! I could argue that it's meta-cheating, but lemme say this. Since you don't have these weapons, I'm assuming you're fairly new. Because of that, not playing by itself would leave you shorthanded, since the weapons require more skill to actually operate anyway.
Very true... but some of them are so darned difficult to get (Krazy Ivan?) that it detracts from the team effort should one go out of one's way to try and get them. Or so it seems.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:...Please no orange_x. There's no style or soul to that map, just 30 minutes of "I'm gonna learn how to use this SDK thingy, and then make a sniper map!" Then every inept sniper joins, the ones that know there are maps other than 2fort and those custom maps are all for sniping or achievements, and every team gets burdened with 6 snipers a piece, of which the one regular has 400+ points from continually sniping anything that moves. You, the lone demoman sticky-jump cap everything and manage to gain ground after 20 suicide attempts with instant respawn, to which the snipers congratulate themselves on killing the other team long enough for you to cap the tower, although it was the level three sentry up there that would kill you time and time again. Enemy scouts are deployed to recap points while your snipers are still outside spawn, leaving them unable to see through the fog to even attempt to shoot an anti-class. And eventually, through slogging across every point, pushing harder and harder to cap and re-cap, yelling at teammates to move up or shut up and countless deaths you win the round. Only to realize that you've still got two more rounds before the map changes to... orange_x, and you wonder how you misclicked on the 24/7 server and promptly Get The Fuck Out.

This is why I play on Sniper-limited servers. Two snipers are too many on any map.

Though I do really enjoy pl_goldrush.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
ArchangelShrike wrote:...Please no orange_x. There's no style or soul to that map, just 30 minutes of "I'm gonna learn how to use this SDK thingy, and then make a sniper map!" Then every inept sniper joins, the ones that know there are maps other than 2fort and those custom maps are all for sniping or achievements, and every team gets burdened with 6 snipers a piece, of which the one regular has 400+ points from continually sniping anything that moves. You, the lone demoman sticky-jump cap everything and manage to gain ground after 20 suicide attempts with instant respawn, to which the snipers congratulate themselves on killing the other team long enough for you to cap the tower, although it was the level three sentry up there that would kill you time and time again. Enemy scouts are deployed to recap points while your snipers are still outside spawn, leaving them unable to see through the fog to even attempt to shoot an anti-class. And eventually, through slogging across every point, pushing harder and harder to cap and re-cap, yelling at teammates to move up or shut up and countless deaths you win the round. Only to realize that you've still got two more rounds before the map changes to... orange_x, and you wonder how you misclicked on the 24/7 server and promptly Get The Fuck Out.

This is why I play on Sniper-limited servers. Two snipers are too many on any map.

Though I do really enjoy pl_goldrush.

When the map is wide open, yes sniper-limited. When you can sneak behind enemy lines and back burn four snipers, a medic and a engineer setting up, no. It's simply wide open maps with lots of ground to cross makes it crazy to play any class other than a sniper, scout or possibly spy if there are objects to hide behind. Although that would be a interesting training map/mod, one team of snipers/heavies doing a D-day defense, demomen sticky jumping up, rockets hitting destroyable walls/bunkers, spies backstabbing in the trenches...

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Actually, I've played on a CP map of Omaha beach before. It was fairly small but unlike a lot of CP maps there seemed to be no team bias. While I played the teams won around the same amount of games each. It was a really fun map.

Killy_mcgee

Postby Killy_mcgee » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Guys, we should seriously get a server running or something, cause I'm tired of having a steam community that never has any events.
[insert random quote/ some stupid "bunny takes over world" thing.]
FUCK BUNNIES.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

I looked for the XKCD server last night and it was down. Maybe I looked too late.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Killy_mcgee wrote:Guys, we should seriously get a server running or something, cause I'm tired of having a steam community that never has any events.

We need more admins to host events, I need a rough idea of when you guys would play. We never have any events posted on steam because the xkcd supergroup isn't managed by anyone. The xkcd-TF2 group, well there's only one admin on that which makes it hard there. And events organized through the forums don't seem to work out. If we can get admin access into any of the groups (I don't see semicolon around anywhere) we can send out events and have them head to one server, which'll make it a bit more interesting at least...

Jorpho wrote:I looked for the XKCD server last night and it was down. Maybe I looked too late.
WraithXt1 took it down due to inactivity, although the "NY Assassins from Zeist" is still up. If you want I can ask my server if it would be okay for xkcd people to get on every so often for an event, although they're usually busy.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Yep, the Assassins from Ziest server is still going, and the open invitation to XKCD members is still on. I can't be the only one to schedule events though, I had 3 gamedays going to start things off, we had good showings and a full server for the first two, but the third was pretty much a bust.

If ANYONE wants a game, just post on the forum here and meet up at the server whenever. You can always contact me or [AfZ]Alice if there are any issues on the server (check my friends list)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ryom

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Question: Can all the TF2 players in this thread please post where they're from, what time they usually play. Checking the groups I normally don't see anyone on when I play.

Hawaii (GMT -10), 6AM-9AM GMT weekdays, weekends are a crapshoot.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

I was just playing TF2 today (PS3) it was Two Fort, I was on BLU, 0 to 2. I'm in the top mid sniping away owning other snipers and scouts mid jump. I was chilling waiting for a new mark to come out when a guy I've been dominating all match switches to sniper, and goes to his top mid and trys to snipe me. He didn't wait for the meter, missed the head shot and brought me down to 90 health. (I was standing still this entire time scoped in) He's still standing still and I just headshot him with a full meter and he goes down again. My friend and I were laughing our asses off about this.
RED sniper used "crappy shot!"
BLU sniper took 30 damage, it was innefective.
BLU sniper used "super shot"
Critical Hit!
RED sniper was defeated.
:D
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Arkansas (GMT-6) 1AM or 2AM to 5AM GMT Weekdays, whenever on weekends.

Return to “Gaming”