Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

arclight

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby arclight » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

The manmelter pairs very well with the backburner. Having the ability to put out fires for guaranteed crits while saving the excessively expensive compression blasts for more important tasks is amazing.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

Saving crits for a weapon that isn't even that reliable. With the flare gun, misses (and tou WILL miss) don't waste crits.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

arclight

Postby arclight » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Another cool thing about the manmelter is its projectile speed. The flare speed is 150% of the normal flare gun, making it considerably easier to hit people. It's easy enough that I actually hit about 75% of the time.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

I haven't been able to test this, but it should work: A soldier can set himself on fire with the Cow Mangler by firing a charged shot at his feet. During setup get a teammate to ignite himself and let you extinguish him, reload at the supply cabinet and repeat. I expect you can build up quite a few crits during the minute setup.

arclight

Postby arclight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:13 am UTC

I tested that today. It does extinguish him, but does not grant you crits.

Rek

Postby Rek » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 am UTC

A friendly detonator jumping pyro, does, however, let you farm crits. They count as on fire for a bit less than a second after detonating a flare near themselves, and you can extinguish them for crits.
Words Win Wars

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 am UTC

arclight wrote:I tested that today. It does extinguish him, but does not grant you crits.

:(

A friendly detonator jumping pyro, does, however, let you farm crits. They count as on fire for a bit less than a second after detonating a flare near themselves, and you can extinguish them for crits.

:D

As soon as I get a manmelter I'm going to try this with a friend.

Rek

Postby Rek » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

At least, I saw a video of it working a few weeks ago. Dunno if it's been patched since.
Words Win Wars

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

So, are the new weapons worth a scrap yet? Christmas update included. I haven't been on in a while...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:25 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:So, are the new weapons worth a scrap yet? Christmas update included. I haven't been on in a while...

Generally from what I can see the items degrade in value as time goes on (especially since they're now craftable).
Signatures are for chumps.

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:13 am UTC

The Christmas weapons are not worth a scrap yet, no. The Pomson still goes for a refined, the rest are in the reclaimed area.

e: That is some goddamned insane pistol tracking.

e again: This is beautiful.
Words Win Wars

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

Rescuing this thread from the second page.
I just realized something: the TF2 interface is shitty and unusable. The game itself crashes way too much, has lots of bugs (High-five exploit still not fixed?!?) , and updates usually break it more. If it wasn't such an awesome game it'd have died years ago.

In other news, Valve now selling virtual ring for $100. It lets you harass other players. I can't open TF2 right now but steam forums suggest that people are buying about one per minute just to pop funny messages on other people's screen.

Soon Valve will probably start selling the "Privileged Polygon", a hat consisting of a single purple triangle, of which only one exists in the entire game. At any given moment you can get it by paying one dollar more than what its current owner paid.

And a honest question: does anyone know a way to sell lots of regular weapons? Most people you can find on trade servers and forums already have them all so it's pretty hard to.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

userxp wrote:And a honest question: does anyone know a way to sell lots of regular weapons? Most people you can find on trade servers and forums already have them all so it's pretty hard to.
... Turn them into scrap? They're probably worthless unless they're a newer item anyway.

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
userxp wrote:And a honest question: does anyone know a way to sell lots of regular weapons? Most people you can find on trade servers and forums already have them all so it's pretty hard to.
... Turn them into scrap? They're probably worthless unless they're a newer item anyway.

Turning into scrap gives 0.5 scrap for each one. The usual sale price is one scrap, so by buying them via scrapbanking and re-selling them individually you can double your metal :mrgreen:.

And this is slightly noobish and off-topic, but when charging as a Demoknight, is it better to melee-attack right before you hit or right after?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Right after, and I mean RIGHT after.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Doesn't that lose you the crit you build up from charging?
Signatures are for chumps.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

Not if you're fast enough. Of course I'm really bad at Demoknight but the wiki says that a shield bash + crit melee swing can kill almost anything. Swinging your melee weapon ends the charge, so the shield bash can't come after the swing. I'm pretty sure that means the crit remains for a split second after you ram into something.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Doesn't that lose you the crit you build up from charging?

No, it guarantees the crit if you're using the splendid screen. Also I find I always swing too soon and miss, so waiting as long as possible helps me.

And a honest question: does anyone know a way to sell lots of regular weapons? Most people you can find on trade servers and forums already have them all so it's pretty hard to.

You can't. 1 scrap per weapon is not an efficient market price, but it's the lowest price possible while still making a profit (unless you sell in bulk). As such, there are far more sellers than buyers. So if you want to sell weapons you have to spend a lot of time in trade servers, waiting for a buyer to appear, and then it's a race with all the other scrap bankers to send him a trade request.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:28 am UTC

I finally hit an airshot today. And I made a video in the "x% skilled airshot" meme format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eQGsyL1nik

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:35 am UTC

I met the most amusing guy today.

Server was rather mediocrely skilled, I was by far on top of my team scorewise and this guy on top of the opposing team. Much weaker than me skill and tactics-wise.

At first, I just stabbed him, sapped all his stuff, and DR'd away.

He switched to the southern hospitality and set shop in a corner, watching his surroundings like a hawk. Fair enough. Instead of being boring and going demo, I walked back to his spawn, telefragged him, sapped his stuff, stabbed his friends, and DR'd away. He started making some choice comments about my sexual orientation and my choice of class.

For the next hours, I kept killing him (unintentionally) in many amusing and humiliating fashions: enforcering him from miles away while he was about to touch a medpack, standing in front of him with the DR active and watching him kill himself with his own grenades, various drop, stair, and cornairstabs...
Then something within the dude broke loose. He switched to pyro, and announced he was about to enforce nonconsensual sodomy on me. As I was wearing DR/Cycle/Enforcer and was a better player, I of course utterly demolished him, egging him now and then.
You wouldn't believe the flow of profanities! What he lacked in imagination and command of the english langage he made up in vigor.

Great fun was had, until he enventually raegquaat. I quit soon after. Still slaughtering their team, but it was just not the same.

PS: I didn't provoke him intentionally at first. While I do have a "say Nice uber!" bind on spy and sniper for 100% medic kills, I'm not that much of an asshole.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 am UTC

Had a similar experience recently with a guy I made fun of for using the razorback. He'd start each map as sniper with the razorback, I'd enforcer him to the face and ask him about how effective he thought the razorback was, and then he'd curse at me and switch to phlog-pyro, which didn't actually do him any good since I had my Dr. Enforcicle loadout on and Phlog pyros are like more predictable sandwich heavies. Just wait for the taunt and go for the stab. Then, during the map change he'd forget that I existed, go sniper with razorback on, and the cycle would repeat.

Tormenting razorback snipers is my guilty pleasure. Razorbacks are genuinely useless and I don't want any sniper on my team to use one, but I also love my backstabs and it's mildly annoying (if not actually effective at all) when enemy snipers have them in some mistaken belief that my love of backstabbing translates into some sort of hatred for faceshooting (I love faceshooting only slightly less than I love backstabbing).

Probably the only weapon I hate more is the cloak-and-dagger. But not because it's bad, I myself love using the Cloak And Dagger on occasion. However, way to many spies just use it to hang around corners and get maybe one backstab per map if they're extremely lucky. But there is a straightforward solution to that, I kick them for idling.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote: and then he'd curse at me and switch to phlog-pyro.

Now that I think of it my guy did use the phlog also.

Cloak and dagger: that's pretty much the only time I get mad at videogame (aside from dungeon crawl and bullshit deaths). I find myself yelling "move, you useless fuck" as the death cam spectates him automatically. Wish I could kick like you.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius, if you're into faceshooting so much, why not use the Ambassador?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 am UTC

Because, despite my love of faceshooting, I'm not actually very good at it and mostly end up bodyshooting or missing entirely. The extra-damage without needing a headshot doesn't really make up for my ludricous lack of aiming skillz, but it's better than nothing. When they (inevitably I fear) nerf the enforcer, I probably will go back to the ambassador though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Because, despite my love of faceshooting, I'm not actually very good at it and mostly end up bodyshooting or missing entirely. The extra-damage without needing a headshot doesn't really make up for my ludricous lack of aiming skillz, but it's better than nothing. When they (inevitably I fear) nerf the enforcer, I probably will go back to the ambassador though.

Even if you're not fabulous at it, it's more worth it than the Enforcer because of the ability to harass heavies, snipers, engies, and anybody who happens to be standing still for another reason - Enforcer has damage falloff and only does like 10-20 damage at long range; ambassador still does the full 102. IN an engagement, against light classes you're doing 2 shots if you can land a headshot, and 3 anyhow, which is not a lot more than the Enforcer's 2; and your plan should really be to prefer escape anyhow.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

I think you are under-estimating just how terrible I am at actually hitting anything. Although a bit of that probably comes from my play-style, I like to be up close (for those backstabs), so most of the time if I'm using the revolver at all it's while backing away from a pyro or similar, dodging and escaping. If I can get two bodyshots in a typical engagement, I consider myself lucky.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 am UTC

The enforcer really is just better than the other pistols. While the ambassador can headshot, in practice the enforcer's higher base damage is almost always better.

Its overpowered as fuck.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 am UTC

You're just not l33t enough for the /-\ ¦\/¦ ¦3 /-\ 5 5 /-\ ¦) 0 ¦2

Oh god why did I take the time to do that...

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

Derek wrote:Its overpowered as fuck.

Unless you are not using the DR. The cloak penality is significant.

(btw it's 25 damage, not "10-20", and full damage against buildings)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

I haven't found it to be that significant actually, especially since the enforcer is a pretty good get-away tool on it's own.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Derek wrote:The enforcer really is just better than the other pistols. While the ambassador can headshot, in practice the enforcer's higher base damage is almost always better.

Its overpowered as fuck.

You're thinking theoretically rather than practically - you still have 2 shots for light classes and 3 shots for medium with Amby just as you do with Enforcer (headshot-body, headshot-body-body) and you get the added utility of long-range harass/kill capabilities. Even if you're not amazing at headshots, one out of two/three at mid to close range is not an extraordinary feat.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:You're thinking theoretically rather than practically - you still have 2 shots for light classes and 3 shots for medium with Amby just as you do with Enforcer (headshot-body, headshot-body-body) and you get the added utility of long-range harass/kill capabilities. Even if you're not amazing at headshots, one out of two/three at mid to close range is not an extraordinary feat.

Except that if you miss your first headshot, you have to wait awhile before you can try again. With the enforcer you just keep firing. There's really no comparison.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

Derek wrote:Except that if you miss your first headshot, you have to wait awhile before you can try again. With the enforcer you just keep firing. There's really no comparison.

Sure there is - If you make the first headshot (again, mid range that's not at reflect-jump-axtinguish levels of difficulty) then you've got an even easier fight than with enforcer; if you miss then you fight and have 3 or 4 shots to make instead of 2 or 3; plus as spy you always have the alternative of cloaking away -- even easier with the Amby, unless you're using DR.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

I tend to do that at very long range (with the 100% accurate first enforcer shot) but this was much cooler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62pnmQn ... dM6ioZqSY=

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:07 am UTC

As predicted, the Enforcer has been nerfed. Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm not sure how significant of a nerf it actually is. Given how I actually use the enforcer, and my ludicrous lack of aiming ability, the 'enforced' delay between shots may actually end up beneficial to me.

We'll see.
If it does end up being a problem, I guess I'll switch back to the Ambassador.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:52 am UTC

Wait, so it doesn't effect cloaking anymore?

Huh. I was gonna suggest something like "remove the cloak/uncloak time, but add 'slower cloak recharge speed'". That way it REALLY hurts Dead Ringer users because they need the cloak meter fully charged in order to activate it.

EDIT: I guess this means the entire identity of the Enforcer has changed. I remember a few weeks ago I was playing in an alltalk server. I kept getting lucky random crits on the same spy, and after a few times of me killing him I noticed that he was using the Enforcer when he wasn't before. I asked him, "Did you just rage-Enforcer?" and he replied "maybe." So I don't think switching to the Enforcer out of frustration will have the same meaning it did... I'm glad I owned that guy before the nerf so I could make that joke.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

Slowing cloak regen definitely would have impacted the usefulness. However I'm pretty happy with no random critical hits. The damage bonus only being on undisguised only matters for the first shot, really. I would have preferred some huge damage falloff so it is effectively like a shotgun.

EdgarJPublius wrote:Given how I actually use the enforcer, and my ludicrous lack of aiming ability, the 'enforced' delay between shots may actually end up beneficial to me.

This was my thoughts as well.

Rek

Postby Rek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

If Valve would just put in the Flamethrower buffs and the Tomislav nerf like they did in the beta I would be all happy inside.
Words Win Wars

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Found this pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcV1elvkFpk

edit: tried to go back to the ambassador, this is very descriptive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3b_xrOlKg&feature=plcp

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 am UTC

A 3.4 GB update has been released. Nothing's been posted on teamfortress.com aside from "Mmph Mmph Mmph" though, and Meet the Pyro has not yet been uploaded.

Return to “Gaming”