Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Okita
Staying Alive

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Okita » Sat May 30, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Amusingly enough, with all the watches I have, I feel sort of like one of those fake rolex salesmen on street corners.

Anyway, I've forgotten how this works but... Kritzkrieg. Automatic crits but does it work on Engineer buildings?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat May 30, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Nope. Crits of any kind have no effect on buildings.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat May 30, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Unfortunately I had spent the time farming the 2004 kill scout achievement, as scouts fairly easily beat both snipers and spies so all I have is the huntsman.

It is pretty fun to use, but not so awesome in arena I've found. Arenas don't have the typical funnel areas to aim at I guess?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Everyone

Postby Everyone » Sat May 30, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

No need to idle anymore, you can get weapons both ways now.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sun May 31, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Thanks to achievement unlocks being reintroduced, I now have both the huntsman and the cloak and dagger. Both are pretty awesome.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sun May 31, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

i got all the weapons in one go when they reintroduced the milestones so now ive deleted all my duplicates. Theres no need to trade when you've got all the weapons :)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Of course it could help if you ever try to convince friends to play... free unlocks that is
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Did you folks actually get those achievements legitimately? (Some of them are always pretty obscure.)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun May 31, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

I got all my spy unlocks legitimately.

The server's I usually play on usually farm achievements during the weekend after an update for a few hours, that's how I got my pyro and scout achievements, but I wasn't on for the Heavy update and got those legitimately as well.

I haven't gotten any sniper or medic achievements, since I don't play those classes hardly ever, though thanks to random unlocks, I now have a blutsauger and ubersaw.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:41 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:but I wasn't on for the Heavy update and got those legitimately as well.
O rly? Even Krazy Ivan?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:56 am UTC

I'm pretty sure no one has ever received Need a Light legitimately.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:57 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I got all my spy unlocks legitimately.

The server's I usually play on usually farm achievements during the weekend after an update for a few hours, that's how I got my pyro and scout achievements, but I wasn't on for the Heavy update and got those legitimately as well.

I haven't gotten any sniper or medic achievements, since I don't play those classes hardly ever, though thanks to random unlocks, I now have a blutsauger and ubersaw.

*Hates on people who refuse to medic*
Cynical Idealist wrote:

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:but I wasn't on for the Heavy update and got those legitimately as well.
O rly? Even Krazy Ivan?

when I say I 'got the achievments' for a class, that means I got enough for all three milestones. I don't have every last achievement for any class (well, I'm pretty close for Pyro and Spy, my two most played classes)

And, I don't /refuse/ to medic, it's just, I suck at it and pretty much anyone else on our team would be a better choice in any situation. Not even with a blutsauger am I very useful medic (and I've tried)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:*Hates on people who refuse to medic*

Well then you can step up to fill the void whenever a medic is lacking and the problem is solved. You'd be better served hating players who won't step up to fill a gap in class diversity.

But honestly what do you expect from pub. match players? Personally I don't join games to service the capricious whims of malcontent tweens. "Healz me. I can haz uber?" In tournaments sure, I'll play medic if we need it. But in a pub. match I just want to practice dropping grenades on peoples heads. Plus I think everyone believes "they can do it better" when it comes to capping, pushing the cart, killing, or destroying sentries. And if you are better do you serve your team better in that capacity or by healing them? Dunno, but this is coming from a career medic(70+ hours, 3rd most played class in my list).
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Gah, don't get me started on class diversity. Five spies and three snipers and then me as a pyro with another guy as a soldier on a ten man team. Wasn't pretty.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:49 am UTC

So, it turns out there's a bug on the third stage of the new payload map(not the dual payload, the community one) that occasionally makes the cart cap itself during set-up time. Happened to my team who were defending last night, absolutely hilarious. I wonder how long till its fixed.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 am UTC

If someone reported it, should either be fixed in a day or with the next release cycle - usually they're good about this.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Gah, don't get me started on class diversity. Five spies and three snipers and then me as a pyro with another guy as a soldier on a ten man team. Wasn't pretty.

Yeah, I've found that just standing next to a dispenser with a heavy, and no good sniper angle (though, given the talent of a lot of these snipers a simple side to side movement will suffice) is just a license to get kills as of late.

Hello Mr. Spy, meet Dr. Bullets in your Face.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Gah, don't get me started on class diversity. Five spies and three snipers and then me as a pyro with another guy as a soldier on a ten man team. Wasn't pretty.

I know what you mean, last time I was on 2fort, I was the only non-Sniper/spy on our team of 9.

Yeah, I complained, but no-one budged, the snipers were just staying on the balcony, and the spies were getting salugtered due to the enemy team spychecking alot, I had to leave.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Ratio wrote:Yeah, I complained, but no-one budged, the snipers were just staying on the balcony, and the spies were getting salugtered due to the enemy team spychecking alot, I had to leave.

This is what I hate most about Sniper-clogged servers. It would be fine if you had a bunch of Snipers who moved up when they could and held off enemy advances, but noooooo. They hang back as far as possible in order to kill the guys who get too far back anyway. They just want to kill! D=

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Ratio wrote:Yeah, I complained, but no-one budged, the snipers were just staying on the balcony, and the spies were getting salugtered due to the enemy team spychecking alot, I had to leave.

This is what I hate most about Sniper-clogged servers. It would be fine if you had a bunch of Snipers who moved up when they could and held off enemy advances, but noooooo. They hang back as far as possible in order to kill the guys who get too far back anyway. They just want to kill! D=

Meanwhile four people who aren't spies duel it out to see who can get backstabbed while trying to run the gauntlet of camped spies.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

I think the Demoman is my new favorite class :D

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:I think the Demoman is my new favorite class :D

Yeah, it can be surprisingly deadly. Especially when defensively. There's nothing like hiding your stickies on the roof above a cap. Waiting for them to start going, be somewhere completely safe, and then blow them to kingdom come. I saved our asses in Well with that strategy.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:41 am UTC

Ratio wrote:

I know what you mean, last time I was on 2fort, I was the only non-Sniper/spy on our team of 9.

Yeah, I complained, but no-one budged, the snipers were just staying on the balcony, and the spies were getting salugtered due to the enemy team spychecking alot, I had to leave.

This is why I avoid 2fort at all costs.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I think the Demoman is my new favorite class :D

Yeah, it can be surprisingly deadly. Especially when defensively. There's nothing like hiding your stickies on the roof above a cap. Waiting for them to start going, be somewhere completely safe, and then blow them to kingdom come. I saved our asses in Well with that strategy.

Yeah I know, I did the same thing on 2fort yesterday. I stickied the inside of the curves in the sewers. Any time someone came in there or I heard footsteps, I detonated. I had 17 kills and 3 dominations before a team of a spy, a heavy and a medic finally got me. It was fun

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 am UTC

I loathe demomen. They're very powerful, but not a class I've ever felt like playing. Always destroying my sentries :[
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 am UTC

I find I switch classes a lot according to the team needs. I play Goldrush a lot. I usually switch (from pyro usually) to demo or medic when there's a sentry nest I can push past.

Do you guys switch a lot? or do you play with set teams?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I find I switch classes a lot according to the team needs. I play Goldrush a lot. I usually switch (from pyro usually) to demo or medic when there's a sentry nest I can push past.

Do you guys switch a lot? or do you play with set teams?

I tend to play one thing as it suits me. Of course, I find myself switching if shit needs to be done or I'm not being very successful.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

I play whatever is needed. So if we don't have any medics, I'll play medic. If I feel like attacking, but we have no teleports and a long way to walk, I'll go Engineer. My preferred classes are Engineer and Demoman, although pushing through a blockade with an Übercharge can be very satisfying as well :)

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

I've sniped since the dawn of TF, I'm more comfortable with it, it suits my playstyle, but I will readily switch to medic if it's needed and I'm a passable demo and reasonable spy. I can't play the other classes for beans, though.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

I mostly play spy, but I don't have any problem going to other classes if needed.
The servers I play on generally have good class balance, but every once in a while we'll have a bunch of newbies that all go spy/sniper or some such and I'm happy with filling important roles, or going to the hard counter of a specifically annoying player on the other team (although it can still be especially satisfying to backstab such players) or if we need a heavy to break through an enemy defense position (usually only if the teams full of newbies, it's better if I go spy and the rest of the team is intelligent enough to follow up a sap and stab spree with pyros and soldiers)

On top of that, there are some maps where you've just gotta play a certain class, like scout on 5 point CP maps, or how nobody builds sentries in the intel on Turbine or Mach maps so I usually rack up a few early kills with that until a better engie can set up in a better position.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

I played a few rounds on a server (Uk:core #4 I believe) and some guys there (of course the enemy team) could build 3 Sentries and 3 Dispensers. Probably 3 Teleports as well, but I'm not sure of that. They were unwilling to tell how they did it, just that it was very easy and every fool could figure it out. I think it's kinda lame, since the servers are pretty good and ranked as well.

Playing Medic on ranked servers is a bitch on your K/D ratio. Though your assists are through the roof :P

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

I play mostly heavy since it's the one class I'm actually good at. However, I'll play something else if we already have 2 or 3 heavies, usually medic, pyro or sniper since I'm not terrible with those classes. I usually try to play what the team needs

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

I'm reasonably good at everything but Sniper. Snipers need pings of less than 150-200...

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

With regards to class balance... sometimes it's fun to throw it to the wind. Me, Soapyhobo and Awia went on an arena server once a week or so ago and sponsored class rushes. So after each round we'd just type "[class] RUSH" into the chat and everyone would go as that class. Rinse, repeat with all the classes. The most effective was all Soldiers and all Medics in Nucleus.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

In Arena I usually play Scout, works pretty well for me

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Spy rush disguised as friendly spies never fails.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:With regards to class balance... sometimes it's fun to throw it to the wind. Me, Soapyhobo and Awia went on an arena server once a week or so ago and sponsored class rushes. So after each round we'd just type "[class] RUSH" into the chat and everyone would go as that class. Rinse, repeat with all the classes. The most effective was all Soldiers and all Medics in Nucleus.
The all medic rush was surprisingly effective.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:I played a few rounds on a server (Uk:core #4 I believe) and some guys there (of course the enemy team) could build 3 Sentries and 3 Dispensers. Probably 3 Teleports as well, but I'm not sure of that. They were unwilling to tell how they did it, just that it was very easy and every fool could figure it out. I think it's kinda lame, since the servers are pretty good and ranked as well.

Playing Medic on ranked servers is a bitch on your K/D ratio. Though your assists are through the roof :P

Some servers have a mod that allow engies to build multiple of each buildings.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Some servers have a mod that allow engies to build multiple of each buildings.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but when I tried that as an Engineer myself, I couldn't. After I built a Sentry Gun, I couldn't build another. The guys who did also kept saying it was a console command. So it might be as simple as sv_cheats 1?

Return to “Gaming”