Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Awia

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Awia » Sun May 24, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:I don't know why I need three axetinguishers though :S
There is going to be a trading system, so you can give your duplicate items to other players, which will be helpful.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun May 24, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Too bad we didn't get trading with the update. As it stands, I'd prefer the inability to get duplicates until trading was in place.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Yeah, seems Valve have been a bit half-assed with the new unlock procedure. They give us the ability to delete our unlocks for now reason, then release this half finished system without trading yet still giving us duplicates. I don't see why they couldn't have waiting to get the whole thing sorted out before handing it to us.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun May 24, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

I like the new system because it stops farmers, but what I hate it is that it isn't class specific, I played sniper for hours trying to get his gear and I wound up with Scout gear. WTF. If I'm dedicating time to a class, I should be getting that classes gear.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun May 24, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I like the new system because it stops farmers, but what I hate it is that it isn't class specific, I played sniper for hours trying to get his gear and I wound up with Scout gear. WTF. If I'm dedicating time to a class, I should be getting that classes gear.
But, it just stops achievement farmers. It rewards people who leave the game on all night spectating- which hardly seems beneficial.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 am UTC

Is anyone else getting a problem where they can't run TF2? When I try it just says "The steam servers cannot handle your request at the moment" or just knocks me off steam saying my ticket expired.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 am UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I like the new system because it stops farmers, but what I hate it is that it isn't class specific, I played sniper for hours trying to get his gear and I wound up with Scout gear. WTF. If I'm dedicating time to a class, I should be getting that classes gear.

I think that's probably the purpose - an attempt to entice people to play different classes from their norm.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon May 25, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Draaglom wrote:an attempt to entice people to play different classes from their norm.

What are you talking about? That was the point of the achievement unlocks originally. Randomly awarding unlocks with no regard to anything is less likely to encourage such behaviour.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:What are you talking about? That was the point of the achievement unlocks originally. Randomly awarding unlocks with no regard to anything is less likely to encourage such behaviour.
The reasoning is probably that you're more likely to play Pyro if you get a axtinguisher randomly than you are to play Pyro to get the axtinguisher; which might be true, but still, I don't see much benefit in Valve trying to encourage people to branch out. People will play what they want to play.

I bought the game, and am now finally going to set up my mic and start being a somewhat more useful team member.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon May 25, 2009 7:13 am UTC

If they wanted unlocks to be earned intelligently, without farming, they should have tied it to time spent on a certain class. I would suggest 5, 10, 15 hours.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon May 25, 2009 9:59 am UTC

dear valve - all i wanted for christmas was the huntsman and the spy watches. you gave me jarate, ambassador, and the razorback. why :(

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon May 25, 2009 10:37 am UTC

I actually kind of like that it's not tied to a specific class, although I agree that the current system doesn't work so well. But as it is now, I don't feel pressured to play sniper or spy to get the new weapons when the team doesn't need either class.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon May 25, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

So, it looks like you can still unlock items through achievement farming. I just got a pyro milestone and unlocked the flare gun.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon May 25, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

The old milestones are still intact, yes. There weren't any added for Spy or Sniper.
All is well. We are not like the others.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
LuNatic wrote:I don't know why I need three axetinguishers though :S
There is going to be a trading system, so you can give your duplicate items to other players, which will be helpful.

Except right now I'd be willing to bet there are enough axtinguishers out there to outnumber the playerbase, essentially making them worthless. Same deal with my duplicate FaN.
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon May 25, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

The interesting side effect of getting the unlock that you want is that afterwards, you pretty much do nothing but play that class if you can (I tend to play on servers that have a max number of spies/ snipers).

Having unlocked all of the new spy items (except the Ambassador), I have to say that they aren't as amazingly awesome as you'd expect (although they are pretty damn cool). I still try to use them though because the novelty man, the novelty. But I was like that with my recently acquired Sandman too.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

d0nk3y_k0n9

Postby d0nk3y_k0n9 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:So, it looks like you can still unlock items through achievement farming. I just got a pyro milestone and unlocked the flare gun.

I can confirm this. So far, the only 2 items I've gotten since the patch, the flare gun and the backburner, came through achievements. The gods of randomness still apparently hate me.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

So, from what I hear, the Dead Ringer currently essentially makes you invincible...

...including against the train...

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

Specifically, you get a 90% damage reduction. So you'll survive the train, but unless you get the hell out of the way afterwards, it'll hit you again and you'll still die. (Or so I heard, I've only gotten the Cloak and Dagger for the Spy.)

Speaking of the Cloak and Dagger, it's an amazing watch that essentially calls back to the days before the update that gave Spies the ability to charge their cloak with ammo. Except now when you wait for it to charge you can be invisible. Patience is a must (and I have yet to master patience), but it's still hilarious to stay cloaked in some corner and watch enemy after enemy walk by you without a second thought. I imagine it would be more useful on defense, since you could cloak and wait for the push to walk by you, then uncloak and stab them all.

*wants the Dead Ringer*
Insert witty phrase here.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon May 25, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

I'm also told that the ambassador's damage bonus for headshots is currently broken.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon May 25, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

Personally, I think the "random drop" is better than achievements, as I don't want to have to join a specific achievements to play the game.

Personally, I think unlockables are retarded in general. They should be all or nothing. Either everyone can use them from the start or no one can. Because there shouldn't be unbalancing things from playing the game. It's all multiplayer... sigh.

Also, has anyone actually gotten drops from spectating?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon May 25, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:So, from what I hear, the Dead Ringer currently essentially makes you invincible...

I thought it wouldn't help against lethal damage? For example, a fully charged headshot?
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 25, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Personally, I think the "random drop" is better than achievements, as I don't want to have to join a specific achievements to play the game.

Personally, I think unlockables are retarded in general. They should be all or nothing. Either everyone can use them from the start or no one can. Because there shouldn't be unbalancing things from playing the game. It's all multiplayer... sigh.

Also, has anyone actually gotten drops from spectating?

Yes. I've gotten a few, only new one was the Dead Ringer though. :/

Just want that damn bow and arrow...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon May 25, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Ok. I'd heard people complaining about it, but I wasn't sure if it was a myth or not.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

A guy I know set up a temp. server just to let people idle and spectate. Every so often I'll join a team and farm an achievement. Ate my 100th Sandvich last night.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon May 25, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I just got the Dead Ringer and tried it out a bit in game. It is downright worthless going up against pyros, and I was surprised that you couldn't voluntarily cloak with it. The end result is I don't "grok" how to use it, and more often than not find myself wishing I could go invisible whenever I want. I am idling some more now to see if I can get the other watch or the ambassador and see how they work.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

I've been getting some weird graphical glitches with the new Spy stuff.

1) When an enemy spy is disguised as a friendly spy he glows like he's being ubered.

2) When an enemy spy "dies" from the dead ringer, there's no body, just a shadow on the ground.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon May 25, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Phen wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:So, from what I hear, the Dead Ringer currently essentially makes you invincible...

I thought it wouldn't help against lethal damage? For example, a fully charged headshot?
Nope, you can survive a headshot just fine, the train leaves you with about 30hp left I think.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Just bought the game this weekend and after about 4 hours of playing, I got both the Force-a-Nature and the Boxing Gloves of Killing.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon May 25, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

Killer Gloves of Boxing! As in, the initials are KGB.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon May 25, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I thought it wouldn't help against lethal damage? For example, a fully charged headshot?

Yes, but it also comes with a massive damage reduction. And it checks for the lethality of a hit after the damage is reduced. I don't think anyone expected this, but it's not broken either. (IMO anyway, and I've been on both sides of it now. Finally.)
Insert witty phrase here.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Damn. My friend and I've been playing fairly constantly since the update came out, he's unlocked everything but the razorback and flare gun, and I've unlocked... nothing.
I can kill you with my brain.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue May 26, 2009 3:35 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:I've been getting some weird graphical glitches with the new Spy stuff.

1) When an enemy spy is disguised as a friendly spy he glows like he's being ubered.

Actually, I think that is result of a disguised spy being jarate'd
Cynical Idealist wrote:

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 am UTC

just got the dead ringer, chilling in an achievement_idle server. only thing i really wanted, so now i'm gonna go play with it.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue May 26, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Played for the first time in a while tonight. Didn't get any items, but I did notice a weird glitch. Enemy spy disguised as medic (which is still an incredibly bad idea) displayed as having about 5 million % uber.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Tue May 26, 2009 11:22 am UTC

i found this video that explains how to use the dead ringer really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3KaAoyQU8

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:Speaking of the Cloak and Dagger, it's an amazing watch that essentially calls back to the days before the update that gave Spies the ability to charge their cloak with ammo.
I've been able to do that normally.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Speaking of Cloak and Dagger I noticed something odd. While playing with a friend in my personal server(we were on opposing teams) I noticed that he couldn't see me even when the watch was out of juice, you know when it runs out and you become semi-transparent on your own screen? Hoping we'd found a glitch I tried it in a regular server and had my ass handed to me... still not sure what's up.

Actually saw an interesting approach to the Dead Ringer post-match the other night. I don't know how the spy did it, I assume he just jumped from an extremely high ledge? But as the match started I saw the spy fall to his dead, replete with "So and So fell to their death" only to find he'd had dead ringer on and was behind me.

Last little interesting tidbit is a glitch I saw last night. Steam had just crashed and, in the slight hiccup that occurs when Steam reconnects, one of the gents. in our server started getting unlocks every couple of seconds. I saw something called the soldier hat, or similar name, the major unlocks, etc... At the time I assumed he had cheated them in to his acct. but the guy seemed just as surprised. Just thought it was worth noting although to the skeptics: I can't back up what I say with proof.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

jerdak wrote:Actually saw an interesting approach to the Dead Ringer post-match the other night. I don't know how the spy did it, I assume he just jumped from an extremely high ledge? But as the match started I saw the spy fall to his dead, replete with "So and So fell to their death" only to find he'd had dead ringer on and was behind me.

Had a spy do this as well. It was on the new payload map, we were backed up into our base. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a "pyro" jump down off of a high ledge, when he hit it said he died, and the dead spy body showed up. So I knew he was lurking somewhere nearby, but it happened far enough away from me that I couldn't get over there to track him down, I was a soldier and was in a pretty heated fire fight at the time.

Needless to say a few seconds later about 3 of my teammates died.

My tactic for dealing with the Dead Ringer is to remember what players are spy and never believe it when it shows that they died. When it does show that they died I start spy checking like a mad man.

Also, with the solder/demo when you "kill" a spy who has the dead ringer their body doesn't gib, and with the pyro the body isn't flaming on the ground for a few seconds.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

I've seen Dead Ringer spy "bodies" gib. When the spy was secretly safe and sound.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Return to “Gaming”