Doki Doki Literature Club

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Doki Doki Literature Club

Postby Xanthir » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 am UTC

(It's free on Steam, so no excuse for not trying it.)

This game... is amazing. I can't go into too much without spoilers, but I can at least say that, while this game *is* technically a visual novel, it's *not* the cutesy high-school dating sim it looks like it will be. It does masquerade as one for the first hour or so tho, so buckle in - after that, it gets *weird* (and somewhat disturbing - when it flips it does so *fast*).

The game itself only takes 3-4 hours total to "finish"; a 100% completion only takes a little bit longer, since you can skip dialog you saw on previous runs. The game's help file has advice on doing a clean restart, which you'll probably want at some point. Don't be afraid to go digging into the game's files - there's a lot of easter eggs that show up thruout the game.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

LaserGuy

Re: Doki Doki Literature Club

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am UTC

My playthrough in a nutshell:
:) :) :) :D :| :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :? :shock: :? :shock: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :idea: :twisted: :cry: :)

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 am UTC

Basically, yeah.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm UTC

I started playing at midnight on Christmas eve, and called it quits 2 hours later when
Spoiler:
You have to choose between telling Sayori "I love you" or "I'll be your friend forever".
I ended up not being able to fall asleep after that,
Spoiler:
due to thinking about what would be the right choice to say to someone as majorly depressed as she is, especially since I had "chosen" Sayori during my first two poetry jams.

When I got back to playing later in the week, I ended up
Spoiler:
going with the friend option, which I immediately regretted due to how she reacts to that. I had anticipated that she would commit suicide (especially due to the content warnings), but the game starting to go "glitchy" at that point kind of released the tension. I didn't get to try the other choice as the garbled New Game option was intriguing, but after watching some Let's Plays I see that it wouldn't have made a difference.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:When I got back to playing later in the week, I ended up
Spoiler:
going with the friend option, which I immediately regretted due to how she reacts to that. I had anticipated that she would commit suicide (especially due to the content warnings), but the game starting to go "glitchy" at that point kind of released the tension. I didn't get to try the other choice as the garbled New Game option was intriguing, but after watching some Let's Plays I see that it wouldn't have made a difference.

IIRC, (gameplay spoiler)
Spoiler:
Once you reach the scene where she commits suicide, all of your savegames become "corrupted" and you actually can't go back and change your decision.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yup, her character file is deleted, so you can't restore any file that should contain her.

Return to “Gaming”