Idle Games - Candy Box, A Firelit Room

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

New User

Re: Idle Games - Candy Box, A Firelit Room

Postby New User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

That's probably the one I meant to link to.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Augh! I just realized that although some parts of the game seem to function normally when the game's tab isn't at the front of the browser window, others function much more effectively when it is! There's news I could have used.

Which game?
Oh, Anti-Idle, to be precise. (Being Flash-based rather than Javascript-based probably has a lot to do with it.)

Mimsy

Postby Mimsy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Augh! I just realized that although some parts of the game seem to function normally when the game's tab isn't at the front of the browser window, others function much more effectively when it is! There's news I could have used.

A little late on my response here, sorry. In Chrome (at least), Flash runs at 1/3 speed if it's not the active tab. There's a way to turn that off but I don't remember how; it's posted in the Anti-Idle forums. Chrome uses a different, newer, and more secure version of Flash than other browsers called Pepper, which is also why the LSOs (savegames) are in a different spot on your drive.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 am UTC

I use Firefox, actually. But what's this about Pepper? Are people finally doing something to work out the worst of the nastiness in Flash?

The most informative thing I could find was http://9to5google.com/2012/02/22/pepper ... -on-linux/ .

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

We (Chrome) reimplemented Flash in a cleanroom on top of Pepper, our better plugin API, instead of NPAPI, the old plugin API. Pepper Flash is a lot safer in many ways, but I'm not the most qualified to talk about that.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

FlapjackStudios

Idle games.

Postby FlapjackStudios » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Anyone hear about these crazy addictive games?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/10/inside-cookie-clicker-and-the-idle-game-movement

Sounds a lot like capitalism to me. Which is totally fun! So I get it. But honestly, besides that, what's the appeal? Anyone hooked on these types of games?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Idle games.

Postby poxic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:52 am UTC

There was a "game" a while back (completely forgot the name) that basically just showed text results of a D&D character playing a game which you never saw or controlled at all.

"Going back to town to sell loot ... Selling: 23 swords ... 119 kobold feet ... 12 gems ... Upgrading equipment: +6 Invisible Serrated Blunderbuss ... +2 Pie Plate ... Returning to woods ... Executing 7 Thunder Rats ... Executing 13 Stink Monsters ..."

And so on, basically forever. Your character had a name, class, stats that improved over time, an inventory and purse, and some other things I can't remember. People left it running on their machines 24/7 like it was SETI@Home. They went to the game's forum to brag about reaching level 80. I had a friend who was distressed that he would never catch up to the people with higher levels because he started it after they did.

So yeah, not really a new thing. The lollipop game looks clever, though. I think I'll ... stay away. Just in case.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 am UTC

poxic wrote:There was a "game" a while back (completely forgot the name) that basically just showed text results of a D&D character playing a game which you never saw or controlled at all.

You're thinking of Progress Quest, it's a classic.

Personally, I've "completed" Candy Box, and I'm close to having "completed" Cookie Clicker (except the "click 777 golden cookies" achievement, that one's just ridiculous). They're good times. They're basically the distilled essence of the "casual game"... games it doesn't make sense to play constantly, but which you need to play regularly to get a good score.

There's a lot of humour in there - the ridiculous currency, the way the setting starts to go a bit wibbly as you progress (Candy Box's dungeon quests, Cookie Clicker's grandmatriarch saga). Plus a decent underlying mechanic which is ultimately an optimisation problem, which appeals to my programming side. And a bunch of fancy upgrades and achievements which appeals to my 100%-completionist side. And requires very little involvement once it gets really going, which appeals to the side of me that wants something to play in the background while I'm supposed to be working. It's the same reason I play Tiny Tower, on my phone.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

But how many heavenly chips do you have?!

I'm about a 3rd of the way to the 777 golden cookie clicks. I WILL GET IT
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

A) There's another thread for this already - it's even on the first page still, and has "idle games" and "candy box" and "a firelit room" mentioned in the thread title

B) I've got 1300+ golden cookie clicks, 125 heavenly chips, one shadow achievement ("True Neverclick") and only need 3 more Antimatter Condensers to get the achievement for 100 of them - I also have one unknown achievement and two unrevealed upgrades yet to get - according to the Wiki, a couple of them will be unlocked once I get that 100th Antimatter Condenser. The next Antimatter Condenser will only set me back a hair over 3 quadrillion cookies (my current all-time baking stands a bit over 45 quadrillion cookies, a hair under 8 quadrillion of which were sacrificed to my restart)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 am UTC

I should probably stay far, far away from Cookie Clicker until I've at least finished with Anti-Idle. Could be another two months at this rate. Level 6500 and 524 achievements at the moment.

I confess I finally had to look at a guide to figure out MindSweeper. :( I'd like to say that the first few levels are so unintuitive that I would have been unlikely to ever figure it out on my own, but the Dragon finally told me about the secret demo mode, and that would have been enough. I continue to despise Pong.

I also had to look at a guide to figure out the Treasure Map random quest, which is rather viciously unintuitive.

I think I might give up on Candy Box Hard Mode. I just can't quite see a workable strategy for Hell.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Anyone else playing Clash of Clans? That's an idle game, right?

It's a pretty well designed game. The combat is reasonably deep, and the progression is rewarding.
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Anyone else playing Clash of Clans? That's an idle game, right?

Somewhat off topic, but I find this interesting - several years ago I would have found the art style, or at least what is represented in the icon on that page - interesting and new and refreshing and all that.

Now all I can think when I see it is "Cheap knock-off cranked out in 20 hours to try and scam as much money via InAppPurchases as possible"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Adam H wrote:Anyone else playing Clash of Clans? That's an idle game, right?

Somewhat off topic, but I find this interesting - several years ago I would have found the art style, or at least what is represented in the icon on that page - interesting and new and refreshing and all that.

Now all I can think when I see it is "Cheap knock-off cranked out in 20 hours to try and scam as much money via InAppPurchases as possible"
Oh, it's definitely a scam to get as much money as possible, don't get me wrong. :) It's still a fun game if you don't ever spend anything, though. A minority of the players pumping a bunch of money into the game has no effect on the non-spenders, so that's good.
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 am UTC

Just finished it - it's deeper, I guess, but I prefer the first. Still a great place to have your very soul sucked into for a few days :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Just finished it - it's deeper, I guess, but I prefer the first. Still a great place to have your very soul sucked into for a few days :P

I dunno about deeper - broader, yes, but it all felt a bit light...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Yeah, having gone through it, it seems lighter somehow.

Then again, there is the Arena which I'm excited to see. I'm usually not for user-generated content, and I hope people don't just make giant monsters to smash through, as with access to the computer you basically have unlimited stats.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Welp, finished my first Ascent in Anti-Idle tonight. It only took 74.5 days. 583 achievements and Battle Arena level 352, if you're wondering. It could have been much longer, but I chose to call upon the wisdom of the chat-room to pick up some tips on ascension that might not have occurred to me otherwise, common sense as they were – namely,
Spoiler:
applying tons of Enhancers to the dragon's Sword.

Please don't start playing this game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:07 am UTC

I ended up tearing myself away from Anti-Idle after 81 days. I really felt like I had seen everything there was.

But I just finished Candy Box 2. (The Devil was tough.) I still can't figure out how to defeat Yourself, though, or the purpose of the Oven, or the purpose of the rock pattern in the Cave, or the second Locked House in the Village. I could probably look everything up easily, but would someone care to nudge me in the right direction instead? :lol:

I already had to look at spoilers to get past the Squirrel; it gets kind of tough even if you know what you're doing.

Also, I think I might have actually broken my mouse playing Cookie Clicker.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Yourself - try royalty, unmodified.

The oven - feed it chocolate.

The cave - something may point you a path.

On the overmap, near the cave - try looking about.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Acht! How insidious. Thank you.

Apparently the other Locked House will remain as such until a future update.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Oh, right, the rock formation in the cave. I think I answered something else.

At any rate, the formation should look familiar.

Spoiler:
It's a map.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Aye, I decided to just go ahead and look that one up. Clever, hiding something in a way that the mouse pointer couldn't detect.

But the battle with Yourself – that's just nasty. The item description flat-out says that it is not helpful in quests. I guess I could have randomly stumbled upon it eventually and it is admittedly kind of clever. But nonetheless: nasty.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:28 am UTC

Spoiler:
IIRC when you lose the battle against yourself, it tells you you didn't have enough confidence, and the item description says it'll give you confidence...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

One last thing I'll say about the oven - you can accidentally feed it too much chocolate and make the subsequent battles harder.

You need 8 bars to enchant all of the items. You can get 14 total. While it is possible to beat the game without enchanting all the items... it's a lot easier if you have them all.

So only feed the oven 6 bars total. And spend the results wisely.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Noooo! My computer crashed and I lost a week's worth of Cookie Clicker progress. :( And I was so close... I nearly had 100 condensers and 777 Golden cookies. At least I still had one exported save from not so long ago. (Anti-Idle, at least, was very enthusiastic about reminding you to go into your browser cache and backup your Flash cookie.)

I think I'll leave the Grandmas enraged this time; apparently things go a lot faster that way. And I think I'll leave all the fancy graphics off, too: the effects were sufficient to cause one of the fans in my computer (probably the one on my GeForce GTS 250) to start howling.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I think I'll leave the Grandmas enraged this time; apparently things go a lot faster that way.

Pre-wrinklers, the best payout came from buying and rebuying the temporary pacification, and collecting every golden cookie due to the large potential payout for "Lucky" during a "Frenzy". That relies on having enough cookies in the bank that your Lucky payout is restricted by your income not your current wealth - otherwise, Elder Frenzy tips the balance in favour of red cookies. Wrinklers may well tip the balance back in favour of angry grandmas unless they've been fixed so that you no longer get an effective income boost from having multiples.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 am UTC

I've noticed Cookie Chains seem to come up a whole lot more often when the Grandmas are angered than otherwise.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I've noticed Cookie Chains seem to come up a whole lot more often when the Grandmas are angered than otherwise.

Also true - though even before the diminishing timer was added the chance of getting a long enough one to materially effect your cookie total was pretty low. Though appeasing the grandmatriarchs after a cookie chain starts may be worthwhile - last time I played, red cookies only gave 6s while golden gave 7s

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 am UTC

FlapjackStudios wrote:Anyone hear about these crazy addictive games?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/10/inside-cookie-clicker-and-the-idle-game-movement

Sounds a lot like capitalism to me. Which is totally fun! So I get it. But honestly, besides that, what's the appeal? Anyone hooked on these types of games?
Thanks, I really ought to read that, given what I'm doing.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Just when I was starting to get frustrated, the Christmas update has come out.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

It's drawn me back as well - I quit once I hit 100% achievements as I figured I was done (and moved on the Time comic idle game), but they've added some more so I need to collect those, too. It's nice to see some building-cost-reducing upgrades for a change, and popping reindeer is a little more engaging than the cookies or wrinklers.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

None of the achievements involve restarting the game, do they? I am still at the stage where I am trying to avoid spoilers, but there are a bunch I have no idea how to get. I presume they'll reveal themselves in time.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:None of the achievements involve restarting the game, do they? I am still at the stage where I am trying to avoid spoilers, but there are a bunch I have no idea how to get. I presume they'll reveal themselves in time.

Some of them do - there are some for restarting the game under certain conditions, and at least one that's only possible in a restarted game.

royalgamer07

Postby royalgamer07 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 am UTC

For Anti-Idle:
Some people are obsessed with this game. There's this guy called phantomwolf that ascended 200 times. That means, getting to level 9001, killing the ascendant, getting back to lvl 1 200 times.
Once you get to like rank 70 or something, reset all skills, then put them on power attack, mana eater, and money up (money up not important). Enhance a bow to +10 with 10 attack speed and the rest to damage. Then you enhance full armor set to +10 using 50 attack speed armor enhance rocks (NOTE: ARMOR) so that your attackspeed would then be 10x2.5 (thats max). Then you buy a mastery potion, change hard level to hardcore (worst moon even better), and then you go to desert, click on the black square on the pyramid, drink the mastery potion, and press power attack when the first monster comes up (note: you won't run out of mana, cause you probably kill 2 monsters a second, Meaning that you gain 3000 mana per second if you have mana eater maxed). Then you watch as you gain like 10 ranks and a couple million pixels.

For candybox 2:
You have to get all 4 stones to win. P L A and Y. P is from the cyclops (it's easy, trust me. Once you figure out what the symbols do, you can do it), LAY from beating the developer (black demon) , the devil (boots of introspection,, and from the chest in the first room (you can use rocket boots, or gravity potion, or 500m health).

Clash of clans:
No it's not an idle game, it's a complete rip-off of backyard monsters. Bullshit

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 am UTC

royalgamer07 wrote:That means, getting to level 9001, killing the ascendant, getting back to lvl 1 200 times.
Not sure when you played it last, but presently you can kill the Ascendant at level 9000.

For candybox 2:
You have to get all 4 stones to win. P L A and Y. P is from the cyclops (it's easy, trust me. Once you figure out what the symbols do, you can do it), LAY from beating the developer (black demon) , the devil (boots of introspection,, and from the chest in the first room (you can use rocket boots, or gravity potion, or 500m health).
Come now, most of the fun from this game is figuring out these things for yourself.

royalgamer07

Postby royalgamer07 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:41 am UTC

Not sure when you played it last, but presently you can kill the Ascendant at level 9000.

Come now, most of the fun from this game is figuring out these things for yourself.

Oh crap sorry I didn't remember that about candybox 2. Sorryyyyy
And also for anti idle, most people cannot kill the ascendant at level 9000. That almost halves your accuracy, damage, and stuff to the ascendent. Atleast I heard so.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 am UTC

Does anyone here play Sandcastle Builder?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

royalgamer07

Postby royalgamer07 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Does anyone here play Sandcastle Builder?

I do. But I don't really like it. needs way to much clicking

Return to “Gaming”