[READ OP] Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

Re: Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Thanks for starting it Ahama, it might be good to update this thread (which I'll link in the first post) with new updates of your write-up. That way it doesn't interrupt the flow of write-ups that take place later on in the timeline. It will be pretty much impossible to have continuity between the write-ups if they're not posted before the next person starts the fort, but that's not really that important.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun May 26, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Added Nautilus to the list.

If any new players behind me want to jump in front of me, just ask me and I'll be glad to do it.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun May 26, 2013 11:17 am UTC

I've been looking over the save for a little while at a time for the last few days, i want to do something really different. i want to do a huge amount of stuff in one year through careful planning and no dwarf left idle sort of thing. This should be fun.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Remind me to download the save and see where people are on the demands.

DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a bedroom of at least 25 squares.
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Weapon Rack
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Armor Stand
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Chest (Box or Bag will suffice)
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Cabinet
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a door to their room

MANDATE: Parties are not to be interrupted. Dwarves on break are not to be interrupted.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 am UTC

We've had an... incursion. i'll have it up in a day or so.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

dewboy

Postby dewboy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Idk if i should request his here but... Can i get dorfed as an engraver or smith? I may be running this place eventually 8-)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

So Josephine ended up not being able to finish things. I haven't posted an update in awhile because I thought I'd just let this thread die off somewhere. However, that's not entirely fair, so I'll throw some thoughts out there.

I'm mulling over what to do from here. We've had several people not finish their turns or finish them but not post write-ups, both of which kinda defeat the point of this little game. I've been tempted to get the most recent download of the fort and see what kind of mayhem I can stir up when I try to kill it and then post the results, but right now I don't have time to do that. If people want to continue playing, then I'll continue to run things. However, I don't want it to drag on and on where people either don't post write-ups or take well past the time allotted and not come through. I know stuff goes on (I've certainly had my share of it lately) and I certainly don't fault anyone for the way its gone thus far.

Thoughts? Should we just wrap it up and let it go, or do people want to continue?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

I'm next and I don't see any reason I won't be able to do my year in a timely manner. On Saturday I'll download the latest and try to do a "state of the fortress" post: finding out for myself what the fortress is like and filling everyone else in on what it was like before me.

Since we're having trouble getting people to run the fortress in the week they're assigned I'd like to suggest a "pick-up and leave" approach. When someone finishes, or "leaves", they'll upload they files and do a post, which will let everyone know the fortress is in a "left" state.

When the fortress is in a "left" state, anyone who's interested (and has the ability to do a year in a timely manner) will "pick-up" the fortress by downloading the latest and posting a notice of their pick-up (with maybe an ETA or something).

If they post a report and upload, rinse and repeat. If they idle either Mishrak declares the fortress "left" or someone who wants to pick up the fortress will notice the time discrepancy and disregard the idler's pick up.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

I'm fine with that. I'll keep the active list in the first post up to date, and if someone picks it up I'll add them to the list. I think the necessity for emails goes away with that change, so we can drop that for now. Plus I've been fairly successful in keeping in touch with people via PMs here so that's OK. However, this will require better communication on behalf of the person running the fort. If two weeks go by and there's no PMs, updates, or news, I'll assume they've decided not to continue with the fort and indicate as such in the thread and it'll be open for whomever wants to pick it up again. Going to update the OP with the changes.

I will honor the current list order. Once Quizatzhaderac is done, if Nautilus still wants to take his turn, then he can do so. After that, the fort will be open per the new system.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I'm next and I don't see any reason I won't be able to do my year in a timely manner. On Saturday I'll download the latest and try to do a "state of the fortress" post: finding out for myself what the fortress is like and filling everyone else in on what it was like before me.

Since we're having trouble getting people to run the fortress in the week they're assigned I'd like to suggest a "pick-up and leave" approach. When someone finishes, or "leaves", they'll upload they files and do a post, which will let everyone know the fortress is in a "left" state.

When the fortress is in a "left" state, anyone who's interested (and has the ability to do a year in a timely manner) will "pick-up" the fortress by downloading the latest and posting a notice of their pick-up (with maybe an ETA or something).

If they post a report and upload, rinse and repeat. If they idle either Mishrak declares the fortress "left" or someone who wants to pick up the fortress will notice the time discrepancy and disregard the idler's pick up.

That's an excellent idea.

In other news, when it goes open, I may steal it. I've got a decent laptop hookup now, though I admit I haven't tried running DF yet.
Omni.

Quizatzhaderac

Re: [READ OP] Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

File is up Dates are somewhat fudged.

A rough floor guide of Flareportals.
Spoiler:
2 121 world's end
0 119 Ground and water surface f 0th cavern, refuse stockpiles
-1 118 Trade depot X 2, farmland, still X2, butcher's, tanner's, kitchen. Bottom water of 0th cavern.
-2 117 2 craftdwarf's shop, 3 carpenters' shops, bowyer's shop, farmland
-4 115 soap makers, ashery, wood furnace
-5 114 Cemetery, proto-zoo, archery range
-6 113 3 mechanics workshops, 3 masons' workshops, loom, farmer's workshop, clothier’s shop, leather-works, jewel cutter's. Start of third shaft (sealed)
-7 112 old metal-works (2 metal, 1 wood furnace,2 masons). Start of first shaft.
-8 111 Housing project
-9 110 Top of 1st cavern. Seal on shaft two.
-10 109 bottom of habitation, meeting hall, food storage.
-11 108 bottom of water works.
-12 107 terminus of 4th shaft into 1st cavern.
-21 98 bottom of 1st cavern air, water surface, door to cavern
terminus f 3rd shaft, well (shaft-side)
-22 97 bottom of 1st cavern water
-30 89 top of 2nd cavern floor/air
-45 74 terminus of second shaft, connects to cavern
-56 63 surface of 2nd cavern water
-57 62 bottom of 2nd cavern air
-58 61 bottom of 2nd cavern lake
-104 17 top of 3rd cavern air
-106 15 top of 3rd cavern floor
-111 8 bottom of 3rd cavern air, surface of lake
-113 6 bottom of 3rd cavern lake
-116 3 Planned Baron's apartments.
-117 2 magma workshops: 8 smelters, 6 forges, 0 glass, 0 kiln
granite stockpile, planned executive tombs.
-118 1 start of magma
-124 -5 limit of fortress exploration
1st of Hermite, 556: After having been delayed by circumstance beyond my control, I eagerly and optimistically arrive at my fortress. It looks to have a nice secure entrance. There also seems to be a tree infestation up on the hill. Easy enough to sort.

2nd of Hermite, 556: Goblin ambush. The military seems well formed. More than anything I was embarrassed to lock the elven merchants in for a bit.

3rdof Hermite, 556: Finally able to get down to some administering. Over a score dwarfs just loafing about. I don't bleeding care if you're a doctor; you'll bleeding haul stone until you have a bleeding patient.

11th of Hermite, 556: A forgotten creature called Ome Imericetha has appeared in the second cavern. Believing the second cavern to be sealed, I plan to leave it be and hope it doesn't notice us.

Malachite
: I inspected the meat stockpile. shudder In addition to my future food, there were a large number of useless animal parts, partial pet corpses, and ever severed limbs of dwarfs. I ordered all that %*&@ - #%*&(*) out. We have a kitchen and food, but nobody was cooking. Also no-one was milling plants, so we ran out of seeds. One good thing happened this month: someone made an awesome wood crown.

Galena: After considering the fortress's future, I've decided it lies closer to the magma. After considering the logistics of extending the water works down, extending the lavaworks up, or creating a track system: I gave up. Let my successor worry about those. I'll just try to make sure they have enough mechanisms, pipes, metal and what-have-you for the job.

Limestone: Began exploratory mining again. Focused around the top (above first cavern) and bottom (between third cavern and magma flow). Some kid made another artifact.

Sandstone: Apparently nobody here knows how to smelt cobalt. Fat lot of good all those cobaltite veins do us now. Apparently everyone was just too polite to bring it up sooner. Finally finished predecessor's door placement on the housing project. We are not good at putting up doors.

Timber: A child got trapped and died of thirst on a work site. Placed a coffin for her; some %**# put their pet in there. Place another coffin; some OTHER dead kid got that one. Placed all the coffins I could find, hopefully that should be enough.

Moonstone: Starting to put a ceiling on out outdoor fortification. Short term we stop our archers from getting rained on. Long term we can protect ourselves from air attack.

Opal: The emissary from the mainland asked me if we wanted to become a borough. What could I say? I won't have to stick around to deal with the baron. I recommended some lazy windbag doctor.

Obsidian: The baron starting making demands immediately (of course). Knowing he's just going to get more demanding I started a great set of apartments for him.. For the time being I just put more furniture in his room and had the walls engraved. Then the captain of the guard acted up and I has his walls done to.

Another kid died. This time on the ground +1 parapets. What's strange is they haven't been accessible since I came here. Has he been up there living on rainwater the whole time? We'll have to build stairs to get the body; no way that'll be done before I leave.

Notes to successor: The baron's your problem now. Sucker. I also told his excellency the whole communal grave site was his tomb: make sure to rescind that once the new spot is up; I have a feeling he might arrange to kick everyone else out.

We lack enough tables for all of the residences. I'm also not 100% sure our general population burial needs are met. I produced a lot of mechanisms, ropes (for rollers), corkscrews, and pipe sections (for pumps/water works).

There's a dead child on the parapets. Be a dear and build some stairs and bring him down? It's bad PR having children's' corpses by our entrance.

Oh, and there's a forgotten beast in cavern two, so have fun with that.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:49 am UTC

Timber: A child got trapped and died of thirst on a work site. Placed a coffin for her; some %**# put their pet in there. Place another coffin; some OTHER dead kid got that one. Placed all the coffins I could find, hopefully that should be enough.

Too funny. Thanks for the update!

PM'd Nautilus. If I don't hear back from him in a couple of days, then the fort will be open to whomever wants to pick it up.

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

I will hopefully get around to this within the next few days!

I have a lot of work right now though. :?
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

No worries. Take a few days and see if things open up. If it looks like they won't, let me know and I can open the fort up to other folks.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Okay, after some crazy RL stuff and me just outright forgetting to check here, the game is now open to whomever wants to pick it up. If anyone does.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

A heads up: animals and dwarves born in the fort are tiny and as such weak as shit.

Fix there.

Return to “Gaming”