Got a virus - Most programs crash on launch

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Myt

Got a virus - Most programs crash on launch

Postby Myt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 am UTC

Hi, today I was downloading this program which one could say come from a questionable source. I launched the .exe and it crashed. A few hours later I noticed that programs such as itunes were crashing upon starting.

Since then I have ran McAfee which found spedyshare to be malicious and a program which I know to be clean (unless it has been infected) as a threat. It wants me to buy the full version though so it didn't do me much good.

So far Microsoft Security Essentials has found:
Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.BH
Exploit:Java/CVE-2010-0840.BH
TrojanDownloader:Java/OpenConnection.LZ

I also have housecall running as well which has found two other threats so far (I'll say which when then scan is over). Is there anything else I can currently do to protect myself or does anyone have any insight as to what may be going on?

Thanks!

Kromix

Re: Got a virus - Most programs crash on launch

Postby Kromix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Myt wrote: Is there anything else I can currently do to protect myself

Heighten levels of common sense. "I was downloading this program which one could say come from a questionable source."

you could always live boot and run a scanner of live boot, or yank HDD off from computer and connect it to another one via USB then check for virii http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-IDE-USB-C ... B000HZEX1K
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

If your brave you can goto the http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals System internals site.

Download Process Explorer and Startup Viewer

Use process explorer to end whatever processes may be the virus, if they keep popping up anyway after you close then, go into the thread viewer and start closing active threads from those programs until you can get it to close and not open again.

There may also be malicious services running you should check that.

And lastly once you get that setup check your windows scheduled tasks and make sure there is not something there.

Startup viewer is nice for removing stuff as well, if it prevents you from running it try running it in safe mode.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

The fact that McAfee is finding other programs to be infected could mean that those other programs are infected, or it could mean that whatever you installed managed to screw up McAfee...

I would recommend downloading a copy of MalwareBytes and running that. Then, get yourself another AV program - Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and it does just as good a job as McAfee. Avast is another good one. Uninstall McAfee completely, install your new AV, and run a full scan in safe mode. If you're really fond of McAfee, you can always install it later; but be sure to completely remove it for now, just in case it's been compromised.

If your problems persist, you may need to reinstall Windows. You can try doing a repair, but honestly I would recommend doing a fresh reinstall, as painful as that might be. Just remember to back up anything you want to keep.

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Also try doing a system restore to pre virus state, most of these newer scareware virii don't copy themselves to the system restore backups. (if you have any)

Generally its the easiest way to "remove" a virus, it at least allows you to run a good load of a AV software.

Return to “The Help Desk”