Stupid question about online privacy

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

sparks

Stupid question about online privacy

Postby sparks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I was wondering a few things about my online presence over the years. I seldom give away any contact info online, but I've been thinking that it would be possible for someone to start with my facebook, follow to my last.fm account, and from there find a bunch of other vestiges of my online presence. I don't have anything particularly threatening to my reputation posted, but I imagine I'd be mortified if someone found my old LJ account from when I was 13, full of bad poetry and emo "photography". :roll: When I was younger I also didn't divulge *any* information about me at all, not birthdays, not even my nicknames. But I've grown a bit lax about that, alas. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Any tips on finding all of these tidbits? I changed usernames frequentely over the years. My guess is that it would probably be easier to simply track down the accounts still linkable to my current accounts, for example those that link to my last.fm account and so on. Would this be enough? Could someone who was a stupendously good stalke track down my older accounts by browsing through an infinity of links? (e.g. getting my new accounts, finding older ones, from there ensuing a lot of googling and blind clicking to find my v. old usernames).

2. Is there an option to see all my LJ posts on a given account? I'm not talking about the posts in *my* journal, but those made in communities.

3. Same thing for comments?

Thanks everyone! (And apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm not the most computer-literate person ever, and this question almost seems easy compared to some posted here aha).
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

kernelpanic

Re: Stupid question about online privacy

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

The golden rule of internet privacy is: If you don't want someone to see something, don't upload it for everyone to see.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

phillipsjk

Re: Stupid question about online privacy

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

If your want to try to find out how much of your Information is still floating around, you can try Googling your past aliases. I am not sure how much work it would be for a third-party to do that. I once made the mistake of posing many of my past aliases in a single e-mail that was on an apparently public email list :oops:
Did you get the number on that truck?

Return to “The Help Desk”