Is bittorrent safe?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

soccerman

Is bittorrent safe?

Postby soccerman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:44 am UTC

When it comes to computers im pretty stupid. I tried limewire before and i got a virus so i got rid of it. Is bittorrent safe to download music? Is there anyway to check a file for viruses? Also. i use FF and windows XP

ubergeek42

Postby ubergeek42 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:00 am UTC

Virus checkers check for viruses, you should get one(Grisoft offers AVG free for personal use). There is no "safe" means of downloading stuff. If you don't want to take the risk, but it legally, and you don't have to worry about much(theres drm on some stuff, but most/all of it is easy to get around)

pxc

Postby pxc » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Is Bittorrent safe? Yes.

Is it safe to assume anything you download to be safe? Almost never.

Just be careful, and pay attention to things like file size, file extension, and occasionally run a virus scan.

e946

Postby e946 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 am UTC

Take note that by using torrents to download music, you're uploading as you sdownload. You're therefore providing illegal music for download, which the RIAA can and does nail people for. There's more to worry about with torrents than just viruses.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

e946 wrote:Take note that by using torrents to download music, you're uploading as you sdownload. You're therefore providing illegal music for download, which the RIAA can and does nail people for. There's more to worry about with torrents than just viruses.

Assuming the poster lives in the US.

<insert witty name>

Postby <insert witty name> » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Assuming the poster lives in the US.

Other countries have organizations with different names which do the same thing ...

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

The basic lesson is this: LimeWire, BitTorrent, KaZaA, Napster, all of these simply allow you to download files from people. There is no "safe" way of downloading files. There is just downloading.

Having said that, there are some basic rules you can follow. Never download an executable program. If something looks suspicious, it probably is. Run a virus checker on anything you download BEFORE running it.

In my experience, music is pretty safe, but people definitely can find exploits in the way it is handled by programs.

The number one rule? Play it safe and smart. For BitTorrent, try and use sites that have some form of peer review, so you can see that other people have downloaded the file and used it successfully. For LimeWire, if there are 18 files that have 200 seeders, all with T3 lines and with the same file size, don't download.

Return to “The Help Desk”