Help Installing Windows 10

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
free-bee
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Location: London, KY

Help Installing Windows 10

Postby free-bee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:31 pm UTC

I am currently running Windows 7 (actually I'm on Ubuntu, but I'm getting to that). After three years of use, I get a popup that says my product key is invalid and asks me to buy a new one. To be fair, the product key actually is illegitimate. But as a consequence, Windows slows my computer down to like 1/436237452347 of it's actual speed and I find it literally impossible to do anything at all, including trying to buy a legit product key, which is why I'm currently on Ubuntu.

My dad and I have a short talk and we decide to buy a legit product key for Windows 10. If I try to run the installer from within Windows 7, it takes about an hour for it to finally reach the installation process. Then an additional hour later, I'm giving up at like 36% complete. I tried to make a USB install media. It took me forever to figure out how to force my computer to boot from USB. Yay I can install Windows 10 now without having to wait a literal minute between each individual file transfer. It asks me what language to install with and keyboard layout/etc. And then it tells me that it's missing the driver needed to read from the install media? Then it asks me to insert that media into the computer with the driver needed to read from said media?

I am at a loss here. Windows 7 isn't going to let me install Windows 10, even though I have a valid Windows 10 product key. And the Windows 10 installer won't even start trying to install because of missing drivers. I have all of the drivers for my motherboard already downloaded from the last time I installed 7, so I point the Win 10 installer to it, but it still wasn't satisfied. The Windows' website says to burn the ISO to a DVD as an option, but last I checked, a 5 GB file will not fit in 4.7 GB of space.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:06 am UTC

Are you sure it's a legitimate "Your Windows is illegitimate" prompt? You say it's right, but some malware can say that anyway just to worry the totally honest but also sufficiently gullible people into 'correcting' the situation.

I must admit I've stayed as far from Win10 as possible (in personal use) and kept Old Faithful versions of the better generations of its predecessors going instead, and I'm not aware of any particular sudden new sweep to give paid-for-amnesty to dodgy-old-versions that might have popped up (though partly because I don't have dodgy-old-versions, perhaps, and partly because I don't give them a chance to phone 'mother' at Redmond, either).

Others may know differently, but that's my first thought. And all that logically leads on from it.

User avatar
free-bee
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Location: London, KY

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby free-bee » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 am UTC

It all seems legitimate. The bottom right corner of the screen has the standard three lines of text with the build number and all that (can't check right now because still in Ubuntu). And the popup dialogues include links directly to the Microsoft website, though the links are all dead now (end of life for Win 7 is less than a year away). I did a malware-bytes scan and it didn't find anything too wrong. What it did find was quarantined. The popups appear before the desktop even loads.

Also, update. I tried to use UNetBootin to try to create the install media, but it wouldn't find my USB drive unless it was formatted to FAT32. You can probably guess why the process failed when I formatted to that.

[EDIT]
Linux failed to extract the ISO (something about a file being out of order), so I booted into 7 to do it (10+ minutes and it’s still going).

Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine

{EDIT 2]
extracting the ISO directly onto the USB drive worked better than using media creation toolkit and it stopped asking for missing drivers it already had. But then it refused to install 10 as an update because it was loaded from a boot media. And then it refused to clean install it because the HDD has an MBR table record or what the fuck ever.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

User avatar
free-bee
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Location: London, KY

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby free-bee » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:09 am UTC

I ended up backing up about 200 GB of data and then deleted all partitions on the HDD. Windows stopped bitching at me and I was finally able to get it installed.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

cphite
Posts: 1362
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby cphite » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:53 pm UTC

If it worked normally after deleting your partitions it sounds like you had a drive issue. It's entirely possible that it was a logical issue - in which case re-partitioning solved it and you're good to go; but I would suggest checking the SMART data on the drive and making sure there isn't some underlying physical issue.

Seondy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am UTC

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby Seondy » Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 am UTC

I just want to make 2 points.
1:There is no doubt,the computer can be booted from a USB install media,but as for whether the driver needs to read from said media,i don't know as i didn't encounter such.You should have tested this USB install media on another computer.
https://www.rmprepusb.com/
https://unetbootin.github.io/
2:Burning the Windows iso to a DVD as a good option,which can be as a bootable media for your computer.
Just like that:
https://www.uubyte.com/make-bootable-dv ... ndows.html

User avatar
free-bee
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm UTC
Location: London, KY

Re: Help Installing Windows 10

Postby free-bee » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm UTC

Seondy wrote:I just want to make 2 points.
1:There is no doubt,the computer can be booted from a USB install media,but as for whether the driver needs to read from said media,i don't know as i didn't encounter such.You should have tested this USB install media on another computer.
https://www.rmprepusb.com/
https://unetbootin.github.io/
2:Burning the Windows iso to a DVD as a good option,which can be as a bootable media for your computer.
Just like that:
https://www.uubyte.com/make-bootable-dv ... ndows.html


1: I didn't have another computer to test it on
2: Nor did I have a blank multi-layer DVD just randomly sitting around. Normal DVD's, yes, but you can't fit 6+ GB of data (I since deleted the ISO file, and I don't recall its actual size) in 4.7 GB of space.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.


Return to “The Help Desk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests