Custom spell check in Word / adding words to flag

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

supamundane

Custom spell check in Word / adding words to flag

Postby supamundane » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

Hi there, this is my first post here so apologies if it's misplaced.

I work as an editor and use a specific style guide for a particular client who wants certain words and phrases not to appear in their documents. Is there a preexisting way in Word to make it so these words/phrases will be flagged as misspellings/errors, only for certain documents (because I edit for a lot of clients where these words wouldn't need to be flagged)? Could I create a macro or some sort of add-on, or would it have to be a totally separate program? How would this be done?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm interested in computer science and computational linguistics but am pretty new so be gentle, thanks. ( :

Jorpho

Re: Custom spell check in Word / adding words to flag

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:09 am UTC

I've never had need for such a thing before and am ignorant of the specifics, but isn't it just a matter of using a custom spelling dictionary?

cphite

Re: Custom spell check in Word / adding words to flag

Postby cphite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

supamundane wrote:Hi there, this is my first post here so apologies if it's misplaced.

I work as an editor and use a specific style guide for a particular client who wants certain words and phrases not to appear in their documents. Is there a preexisting way in Word to make it so these words/phrases will be flagged as misspellings/errors, only for certain documents (because I edit for a lot of clients where these words wouldn't need to be flagged)? Could I create a macro or some sort of add-on, or would it have to be a totally separate program? How would this be done?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm interested in computer science and computational linguistics but am pretty new so be gentle, thanks. ( :

You could probably do something like this: http://word.tips.net/T000502_Highlight_Words_from_a_Word_List.html

It will have you creating a document called checklist.doc that you'll save on your local drive somewhere... then the macro simply scans your document while using that file as a reference on what to highlight... You may have to twerk it to be able to handle spaces, but the overall concept should work.

Return to “The Help Desk”