Being forced to use old software

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Being forced to use old software

Postby Angua » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

So, my bf is starting work this week and needs to do some online inductiony stuff. However, we're having a lot of trouble with it (as, are apparently most of the other people on facebook who are also having troubles).

Anyway, the browser compatibility page is here http://www.esrsupport.co.uk/nlms/matrix.html and the pc checker thing is here http://www.esrsupport.co.uk/nlms/pccheck.html (sorry, on a different computer at the hospital at the moment which is using some weird OS and I'm not sure about screen shots). I was wondering if there was some way to use portable software to run it, as we're wary of trying to download old versions of IE and java in order to run this.

He has a windows 8, and I have a windows 7, so I'm willing to use whichever computer people think might work. Basically what happens is we end up with it saying that it has loaded to 100%, but then not going any further, but still asking us if we're sure we want to leave the page when we navigate away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only other option would be having to stay really late at the hospital there on Thursday to do this, which is really frustrating, given that he's been free for the rest of the week.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Re: Being forced to use old software

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:03 pm UTC

https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools

Microsoft's Virtual Machines for old web browsers are used for developers... but maybe they'll work for you? They include preconfigured virtual machines extending down to WinXP / IE6. IIRC, these are development VMs and they automatically expire every few days (30 days?? I forgot). But if you're just using them for e-learning, they might work out.

There are virtual machine instances for Open Source Oracle VirtualBox, VmWare, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Windows7 Virtual PC.

VirtualBox is the free catch-all solution. Microsoft Hyper-V is included in Windows 8 Pro (emphasis on "Pro", its $30 extra compared to normal Windows8). Win7 VirtualPC was a free vm solution for Windows7 only, to assist in the XP->Win7 transition. VmWare is probably the best solution... but you gotta pay good money for it (The demo software VmWare Player is pretty bad... but the actual $120 VmWare Workstation is good stuff)
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Thanks - I'll look into it. He ended up just biting the bullet and commuting into the hospital a day early to do it, but given that e-learning is becoming more and more common, it will be good to find a way to do it at home.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 am UTC

Angua wrote:I was wondering if there was some way to use portable software to run it, as we're wary of trying to download old versions of IE and java in order to run this.
Well, it says it is compatible with old versions of Firefox, and you can definitely get portable versions of that (i.e. versions that will run absolutely anywhere independently of anything installed on the system). A wee bit of Googling suggests that there are also portable versions of Java you can use with said portable versions of Firefox. So, why not go that way?

(And if you get it to work, you should tell the admins about it rather than leave them implying that drastic system reconfiguration is necessary.)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:51 am UTC

Cool thanks!

I'll try all this stuff when I have time this weekend, and report back.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “The Help Desk”