Text message "sent time": Can it still be seen these days?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Lenoxus

Text message "sent time": Can it still be seen these days?

Postby Lenoxus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

For as long as I can remember, my current Sprint phone has had a problem with text messages and SMS: I only see a timestamp for the message's receipt, not when it was sent. That means if my phone was off for a while and I turn it on at noon, I soon see several messages with the times 12:00 and 12:01.

I don't think it was always that way with me and cell phones (though I do text more frequently now, so I have more opportunity to notice). Various web searches have found others with a similar deal — switching from an old phone that gave sent-times to a newer one that didn't. (Of course, this could easily be a coincidence, or the result of a natural bias — people are less likely to go on the Web to celebrate that their new phone has sent-time when their old phone didn't, than they are to complain about the reverse.)

It seems to me the newness of the phone should have nothing to do with it, so much as the behavior on the service provider's end. Either way, is there some reason to suppose that a general change in the technology (or something else) has changed the behavior of text message timestamps? Maybe it's a difference between texts MMS and SMS?

troyp

Re: Text message "sent time": Can it still be seen these day

Postby troyp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Will this work on your phone?

hotaru

Re: Text message "sent time": Can it still be seen these day

Postby hotaru » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:27 pm UTC

Lenoxus wrote:For as long as I can remember, my current Sprint phone has had a problem with text messages and SMS: I only see a timestamp for the message's receipt, not when it was sent. That means if my phone was off for a while and I turn it on at noon, I soon see several messages with the times 12:00 and 12:01.

I don't think it was always that way with me and cell phones (though I do text more frequently now, so I have more opportunity to notice). Various web searches have found others with a similar deal — switching from an old phone that gave sent-times to a newer one that didn't. (Of course, this could easily be a coincidence, or the result of a natural bias — people are less likely to go on the Web to celebrate that their new phone has sent-time when their old phone didn't, than they are to complain about the reverse.)

It seems to me the newness of the phone should have nothing to do with it, so much as the behavior on the service provider's end. Either way, is there some reason to suppose that a general change in the technology (or something else) has changed the behavior of text message timestamps? Maybe it's a difference between texts MMS and SMS?

on android phones, the hangouts app shows sent times if you go to the details for a message. there's also this xposed module which i would guess does the same thing for android's built-in sms/mms app. maybe the iphone has something similar?

one thing to keep in mind, tho: a lot of carriers apparently can't get timezones right for sms sent times.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Return to “The Help Desk”