Keep losing sound on laptop ..........

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Moonbeam

Keep losing sound on laptop ..........

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:26 am UTC

So I turn my laptop on - sound works no problem :)

After a while, without running any programmes, the sound goes off. I click on the icon at the bottom right hand corner and normally when you move the slider up and down, you can hear the noise level going up and down, but I hear nothing .... and before you ask - no it's not muted :P

If I open WMP and try and play a song, I get the message, "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file" and a red cross appears next to the song I was trying to play.

According to Device Manager, "This device is working properly." and the drivers are up to date.

Now if I go in control Panel > Sound, then in the playback tab, I click on configure and then test, I get the message, "The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again".

What gives ?? There are no other programmes open, so what's causing this ??

Anyone any ideas please ??

I'm using Win8 by the way :)

Moonbeam

Re: Keep losing sound on laptop ..........

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

A quick update:

A reboot fixes the problem, albeit temporarily :(

After a reboot, I can move the slider up and down and hear the noise level going up and down. I can open WMP and play songs no problem. I close WMP .... leave the laptop a few minutes without doing anything to it. I come back to it a few minutes later and I'm back to square 1 - no sound :(

Any ideas please ????

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

Sorry, I can't offer much help at this stage, but your problem might be related to this one.

But tell us the brand / model of your laptop, and someone here may be able to give more explicit help.

With these sorts of problems it's helpful if we know what sound card your computer has, and whether the computer is 32 bit or 64 bit, but we should be able to work that out from the brand & model.

If you have a Linux distro handy (either on disc or USB) you might like to boot it up & see if your audio hardware misbehaves on a totally different OS.

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

I'm using an Asus X551CAP, 64 bit system.
I'm just wondering whether uninstalling, then re-installing the drivers would help, or if I'd just end up back to where I am now ??

I don't have any discs, so I can't check if I'd have problems on another OS :(

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:53 am UTC

Why are you putting so many periods in your thread subject lines? Have you not noticed that no one else is doing that?

Linux distros can be downloaded and booted from USB sticks; you do not need discs. I agree that running Linux would probably be an excellent first step, rather than wasting time messing around with drivers.

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Hmm - this is weird.

Previously, when I booted the laptop up, the sound would initially be okay and would go off after a while. Now the laptop comes on with no sound, but I've found that the following fixes the problem:
I open Device Manager >>>> Sound Video and Game Controllers and then disable Realtek High Definition Audio, then let the laptop detect and fix the problem (re-enable the device) .... and the sound stays on (so far, so good).

Why would simply disabling then re-enabling the device in question, sort things out ??

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:and the sound stays on (so far, so good).

...... I spoke too soon, the sound goes off again; but disabling and re-enabling the device, brings the volume back on - strange >.<

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:and the sound stays on (so far, so good).

...... I spoke too soon, the sound goes off again; but disabling and re-enabling the device, brings the volume back on - strange >.<

I've heard from numerous people having issues with Realtek and Windows 8 but I've never gotten a definitive answer to what exactly the problems are... here are some things you could try that I know have been successful for some folks...

Go into Control Panel -- > Hardware --> Manage Audio Devices and see if Realtek High Definition Audio is your default; if it's not, make it the default and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, try going into the properties of Realtek High Definition Audio (inside that same control panel window) and look under Enhancements; if anything is selected, disable it and see if that helps.

As a last resort, you could try re-installing the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

As far as the whole booting into Linux thing... that's great for determining if there is a hardware issue. But unless you plan on actually using Linux on your computer, you're probably still going to have to resolve whatever issue is causing the problem :)

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:18 am UTC

As a complete shot in the dark, maybe explore your power settings?

I've heard of devices being disabled after a period of time as part of some weird power saving rules, so perhaps something along those lines is hitting your audio device. Normally I've heard it happening for usb devices and not audio things, but the symptoms (works fine at first, but mysteriously disables when not doing anything, returns when restarting) seem the same.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 am UTC

cphite wrote:I've heard from numerous people having issues with Realtek and Windows 8 but I've never gotten a definitive answer to what exactly the problems are... here are some things you could try that I know have been successful for some folks...

Go into Control Panel -- > Hardware --> Manage Audio Devices and see if Realtek High Definition Audio is your default; if it's not, make it the default and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, try going into the properties of Realtek High Definition Audio (inside that same control panel window) and look under Enhancements; if anything is selected, disable it and see if that helps.

As a last resort, you could try re-installing the drivers in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

As far as the whole booting into Linux thing... that's great for determining if there is a hardware issue. But unless you plan on actually using Linux on your computer, you're probably still going to have to resolve whatever issue is causing the problem :)

When I figured that Moonbeam's audio stuff is (most probably) Realtek, I also discovered that other people using Windows 8 are having similar issues with Realtek, but since I couldn't find anything helpful I didn't post here about it, hoping that someone more knowledgable on this topic may have something definitive to say. (I don't know much about Windows, and don't use it much these days, although I do still have XP on this HD).

I vaguely remember having similar problems with audio hardware several years ago, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I think it was just a matter of getting a new driver from the hardware manufacturer's site. I suppose it's worthwhile for Moonbeam to uninstall the current audio driver and re-install it, and also to try other versions of the driver, both from Realtek and from Microsoft.

Sometimes, stuff like this can be "fixed" by stopping the appropriate service and restarting it, if the hardware in question has problems initialising properly from a cold start. But from Moonbeam's comments it looks like that in this case, that fix is only temporary. I guess something's confusing the audio card firmware and it's going into some sort of limbo state instead of resetting and re-starting itself properly. Or, at least, the driver doesn't shut down properly when the card goes into limbo, so Windows won't allow the driver to restart, since it thinks there's already a driver running the card.

And yes, my suggestion of running Linux was purely as a diagnostic measure, although it's not foolproof, since the Linux driver code could be derived from the Windows code and thus potentially inherit the same bug. Also, Linux audio drivers may not be able to use all the features of the card (although things are better on that front than they were several years ago).

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Eventually - the problem is sorted :)

I emailed Realtek - they didn't even bother replying to my email - good customer service ... NOT !!

Anyway, I visited Realtek's website and downloaded the latest drivers - no joy :(

I rang Asus and they told me not to bother with Realtek's drivers and advised me to download Asus' own drivers, which I duly did - still no joy :(

Next I rang Tesco technical helpline and spent over an hour on the phone. Anyway after doing a scan by typing sfc /scannow at the command prompt, I got the following message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the
CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Well, I tried accessing these logs, but got the message in notepad, "Access is denied" - Anyone any ideas how to access these logs ??

There's an option to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" ... basically a windows refresh. I lost some programmes that I needed to reinstall, such as VLC player, malwarebytes, etc ....not too much hassle .... and up to now, my sound has been working fine.

Thanks for all the help and advice peeps - much appreciated :)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:59 pm UTC

Moonbeam wrote:Well, I tried accessing these logs, but got the message in notepad, "Access is denied" - Anyone any ideas how to access these logs ??

I'm (almost) sure you need to open notepad "as administrator" to access files in the windows directory. (this should be both necessary and sufficient)

Moonbeam

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Well, I tried accessing these logs, but got the message in notepad, "Access is denied" - Anyone any ideas how to access these logs ??

I'm (almost) sure you need to open notepad "as administrator" to access files in the windows directory. (this should be both necessary and sufficient)

Yea I sussed it after I posted this, but thanks anyway :)

Return to “The Help Desk”