Cab Files for CE setup... what?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

TheChosenLnE

Cab Files for CE setup... what?

Postby TheChosenLnE » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

Hey guys,

Working with a really outdated system here and I've been trying to use the internet to help me out but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a PDA which Auto-runs some program called "autocab.exe" whenever it's turned on. This then extracts three cab files onto the device. In one of these cab files is a .002 file (which gets turned into a .cfg) that contains the IP address for the server for the PDA's program.

The problem is that the server IP address has changed, so as of now, we have to go back into the PDA, open up the cfg, change the value... every time it's turned on.

What I'm looking for is a way to change the cab file. I tried making my own with the same files (just the one line changed), but it is both a different size and makes the PDA say "is not a valid Windows CE Setup file" when it tried to go through it. I tried Hex-editing the value but I just get corrupted files when I extract. Is there a way for me to make a cab file that is friendly for this system?

Alternatively, can I just keep the .cfg file on the card and, after the cabs are unloaded, have another link in the autorun.dat file just copy the good file over the bad file?

Much Appreciation,
The Chosen ln(e)

speising

Re: Cab Files for CE setup... what?

Postby speising » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

how did you create your cab file?
did you use the cab wizard?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

Alternatively, could you make the modified cfg file write-protected (at least to the "user" that runs the extractor) so that it doesn't get replaced by the extracted one?

TheChosenLnE

Postby TheChosenLnE » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

speising wrote:how did you create your cab file?

I didn't generate the original cab files, they came with the installation of the program on the PDA. After looking into this, thought, it looks promising. I'll see what I can do!

Flumble wrote:Alternatively, could you make the modified cfg file write-protected (at least to the "user" that runs the extractor) so that it doesn't get replaced by the extracted one?

I'll try that, but it looked like it was overwriting it anyways.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

TheChosenLnE wrote:
speising wrote:how did you create your cab file?

I didn't generate the original cab files, they came with the installation of the program on the PDA. After looking into this, thought, it looks promising. I'll see what I can do!

Flumble wrote:Alternatively, could you make the modified cfg file write-protected (at least to the "user" that runs the extractor) so that it doesn't get replaced by the extracted one?

I'll try that, but it looked like it was overwriting it anyways.

well, you wrote
I tried making my own with the same files

that's what i was referring to.

TheChosenLnE

Postby TheChosenLnE » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:19 pm UTC

well, you wrote
I tried making my own with the same files

that's what i was referring to.

Oh, sorry. I used MakeCab.exe when trying to make my own. But I guess those are only good for Windows or something? I'm not entirely sure.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 am UTC

If I'm not mistaken, the .cab specification may have been updated since the time of your "really outdated system", such that makecab.exe may by default be using a format incompatible with your autocab.exe.

Return to “The Help Desk”