Ripped DVD Choppy

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Ripped DVD Choppy

Postby free-bee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 am UTC

I recently ripped a DVD video onto our computer using Freemake Video Converter. I had just read that the quality will lack a little (increased brightness) unless I used 2-pass encoding. So I chose 2-pass encoding just because. And now I'm finally viewing the results. I noticed that the video is choppy - dropped frames - and the audio is slightly out of sync. I told the converter to use the same quality settings as the original source: 852x480, 25 fps.

My hardware is:

Should I disable two-pass encoding? I used one-pass before on this machine, and it seemed like it was of better quality.
Last edited by free-bee on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Jorpho

Re: Ripped DVD Choppy

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:19 am UTC

The specifics of your hardware don't matter so much as the settings you're using in your DVD ripper, I suspect.

May I suggest giving Handbrake a whirl? (It is free and open source.)

I might also suggest ripping to .mkv instead of .avi ; .mkv supports variable frame rate and is thus far more tolerant of dropped frames. But there's really no reason frames should be dropping at all.

What led you to conclude that your original source is 25 fps, anyway? Maybe it's 23.976 fps or something weird.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

I think it just might be that it's a large AVI file. I ripped another one with one-pass encoding and it seems to behave the same way. I told it to keep the original source settings again and it too is 25 fps (I don't know what the source is. this is just what the output is). I found a different video and it was MP4 at 23 fps (this one played well).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:38 am UTC

free-bee wrote:I think it just might be that it's a large AVI file.
I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. Does Freemake not allow you to rip partial videos? Or perhaps there is a director's commentary or something on the DVD that would allow you to create a "small" AVI file?

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:06 am UTC

Both files are 3 hours long and roughly 2.95 GB each. And it's not the first time I've had problems like this with large AVI's (to be fair, those computers weren't capable of smooth video playback).

*mid-post edit*
Looks like I need to re-rip several movies. One ripped in the wrong language, one ripped with commentary... If I had the ones I'm having this issue with (borrowed from sister), I'd retry them in a different format.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:57 am UTC

free-bee wrote:Both files are 3 hours long and roughly 2.95 GB each.
It should not matter. Unless you have a small file that you have created yourself, you can make no conclusions about "large AVI's".

to be fair, those computers weren't capable of smooth video playback
If you can't play the DVD itself back smoothly, how do you know the original DVD isn't inherently choppy!? This makes no sense.

Please try Handbrake.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

Its an AMD Fx-6300: that is a high-end CPU for AMD... it should handle this level of video with ease. I've got two machines with slower AMD processors (A10-5700 HTPC and a Richland Laptop) and I can handle files like that easily.

I think you're just ripping with the wrong settings. I've never heard of a 25 fps video. If you rip a video to the wrong FPS, it will be choppy as all heck.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “The Help Desk”