Digital Advertising Alliance?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

King Author

Digital Advertising Alliance?

Postby King Author » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

So Facebook sent out some notification about a change to their ad policies, and linked to this...

http://www.aboutads.info/choices/

...saying you could opt-out of targeted advertising in general.

This...seems like a scam :/
I've never heard of this thing, I use NoScript and it blocks like 99.9% of ads anyway so it's not really relevant to me. Still, I'm curious -- how could some website I've never heard of have any control over what ads I see throughout the internet?

Feeling uneasy about all this :/
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Nyktos

Re: Digital Advertising Alliance?

Postby Nyktos » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 am UTC

King Author wrote:I've never heard of this thing, I use NoScript and it blocks like 99.9% of ads anyway so it's not really relevant to me. Still, I'm curious -- how could some website I've never heard of have any control over what ads I see throughout the internet?
I've never heard of this site either so I have no idea if it's legit, but the title clearly states "by participating companies".

King Author

Postby King Author » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Nyktos wrote:
King Author wrote:I've never heard of this thing, I use NoScript and it blocks like 99.9% of ads anyway so it's not really relevant to me. Still, I'm curious -- how could some website I've never heard of have any control over what ads I see throughout the internet?
I've never heard of this site either so I have no idea if it's legit, but the title clearly states "by participating companies".

So I guess a bunch of websites (including Facebook, apparently) use this site to coordinate their advertisements? Since I don't allow cookies OR Javascript (I'm practically running text-only) I'm wondering if they have any info on me. That'd be unsettling. I hope not :/
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

You could check out Panopticlick. It determines, based on information your browser sends to the web server, how unique your browser "fingerprint" is. The more unique it is, the easier it would be to theoretically track you.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

King Author

Postby King Author » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 am UTC

Sizik wrote:You could check out Panopticlick. It determines, based on information your browser sends to the web server, how unique your browser "fingerprint" is. The more unique it is, the easier it would be to theoretically track you.

I've done that, it says I'm pretty unique, however consider that people use that to try and make themselves more unique, by scanning, then changing their settings, then scanning again, so its of limited use.

Whatevs, though, I'm just gonna ignore this whole thing.

Return to “The Help Desk”