Windows 7 or 8.1?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Phasma Felis

Windows 7 or 8.1?

Postby Phasma Felis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:24 pm UTC

I skipped the original Windows 8 release and stuck with 7, but I've heard that 8.1 is a real improvement, and I've got a brief opportunity to upgrade my home machine to 8.1 for $10. (Employee discount, and yes, I'm allowed to use it at home with no limitations.)

Should I do it? My main concerns are:
  • Will an upgrade-in-place Just Work?
  • Will any of my stuff break? I'm a power user and I've got lots of odd tweaks running, but most of them aren't critical.
  • What features are frustratingly different, and how possible/easy is it to return them to familiar standards? (e.g. lack of start menu)
This is for a 64-bit midrange gaming desktop, if that tells you anything. I can dig up more complete specs if it will help.

elasto

Re: Windows 7 or 8.1?

Postby elasto » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

If you can upgrade for only $10 I'd get it just so you have the key. You never know when it might come in handy.

I got a W8 key last year when there was an offer to upgrade for $40; I tried it out and fairly quickly stuck W7 back on. Eventually I had a good use for the key though (on a touchscreen laptop - where W8 starts to make some real sense).

Personally I don't think W8.1 is a gamechanger vs W7 for a desktop: It has some improvements and some new annoyances and for me they roughly balance out.

Return to “The Help Desk”