Strongvault Online Backup - stop installing

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Strongvault Online Backup - stop installing

Postby free-bee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:15 am UTC

So one day I noticed that all of my computers bandwidth was being eaten by an unknown program. Using task manager (Windows 7), I found the problematic program to be "Strongvault Online Backup." Being as how I have NEVER installed this myself, I tried to uninstall it via CCleaner. After it said it couldn't find the uninstaller associated with the program, I tried the thing Windows has built in (program manager?) through the control panel. It didn't even find the program.

I looked for it in the "program files" directory, but never found it. I had to have task manager to "show this file's location" for me. I had to shift+delete the files myself! And all was good, until I noticed that trying to execute two or three certain programs brings up a dialog box with it, saying something like "configuring strongvault online backup".

I did a search in Windows' event viewer for the program name. Here are a few entries. Note that I used a bunch of dashes to separate entries.
Event Viewer Log

How the Hell do I completely block this damned program!? I am about 99% sure it is some type of virus: spyware, malware, backdoor....
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

cphite

Re: Strongvault Online Backup - stop installing

Postby cphite » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:So one day I noticed that all of my computers bandwidth was being eaten by an unknown program. Using task manager (Windows 7), I found the problematic program to be "Strongvault Online Backup." Being as how I have NEVER installed this myself, I tried to uninstall it via CCleaner. After it said it couldn't find the uninstaller associated with the program, I tried the thing Windows has built in (program manager?) through the control panel. It didn't even find the program.

I looked for it in the "program files" directory, but never found it. I had to have task manager to "show this file's location" for me. I had to shift+delete the files myself! And all was good, until I noticed that trying to execute two or three certain programs brings up a dialog box with it, saying something like "configuring strongvault online backup".

I did a search in Windows' event viewer for the program name. Here are a few entries. Note that I used a bunch of dashes to separate entries.
Event Viewer Log

How the Hell do I completely block this damned program!? I am about 99% sure it is some type of virus: spyware, malware, backdoor....

Strongvault is basically adware... Some people apparently actually want it... AFAIK it doesn't do anything harmful beyond eating up bandwidth and CPU, but it can be a bear to get rid of for some people. It generally comes as part of a bundle; that is, you probably installed something else and Strongvault was included without them making it clear that it was included.

To remove it, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

In the search field (right side, bottom third of page) type "uninstall" and you should get one hit for a utility to remove programs; use that.

Once the program starts, choose the second option where you choose the fixes to apply (I forget the exact wording)

Look for Strongvault in the list of programs.

Tell it to try the uninstall.

If that doesn't work you can Google for various other solutions; just be careful running any executable files, unless they're from a reputable source, as a lot of the time, the "solutions" are put out there by the same folks who gave you the unwanted software in the first place. Good luck!

BTW, since you aren't clear on when this thing was installed, it would be a very good idea to run a complete malware scan once you've got it removed. Also, whenever attempting to remove any unwanted program or malware, it's a good idea to make sure you have your critical data backed up before you proceed - some of them go down fighting :?

free-bee

Re: Strongvault Online Backup - stop installing

Postby free-bee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

Well that sent me here, which seems to have fixed it. A bit simpler than I expected, too.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Return to “The Help Desk”