mount ISO as a physical drive?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

mount ISO as a physical drive?

Postby free-bee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 am UTC

So I have this habit of leaving CDs in my computers drive. So I decided to copy the discs as ISO images and mounting them when I need them (also, our cd drive sounds like a plane taking off). The first test I did was with a simulation software I got for college. And, as it turns out, it ships with a test to determine if the disk, which it uses as the unlock key, is in a physical drive, or a virtual drive. It fails the test and won't let me use the software.

So my question is this: how do I trick the software to think that the virtual drive is a physical drive? If it helps, it's this LogixPro 500 simulation.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Jorpho

Re: mount ISO as a physical drive?

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:29 am UTC

It all depends on the specific authentication method the simulation software uses. The easiest thing to do would be to try and find a pre-cracked version online that doesn't check for the CD – but of course you can't trust anything you download that way.

Daemon Tools is designed specifically to be able to make images of discs that can be mounted (specifically using Daemon Tools) and fool detection tests, but I have no idea if it will work with this specific application.

You might be able to solve the noise problem with CD-speed limiting software, though I haven't tried looking for that for a while.

Return to “The Help Desk”