Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crystal_owl

Re: Tattoos? (Recently merged: "Nerdy Tattoo Idea")

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Thanks! It's actually shaping up fairly well at the moment so here's hoping it lasts. There are two tattoos I really want so I either need security that it won't affect my casting or to fail so spectacularly that I have to change profession to one where they won't matter. The betting pool is now open as to which one it'll be!
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

zallen

Postby zallen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am UTC

inking.jpg
Tattoo in progress

Just got myself a new one =)

stand_back.jpg
Stand back, I'm going to try science!

Everybody stand back! And admire my new ink =)

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Awesome!
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 am UTC

I have a Nordic vegvisir on my lower back. I have always wanted a compass and when I was living in Iceland, it just made sense. I got it done there which is even more meaningful to me. Eventually I would like to figure out the best placement for script from the Gisli Saga that says (in Icelandic, English translation:), "All waters flow to Dyrafjordur" which basically means "I've gotten this far, can't turn back now". I hiked the Gislisaga while I was there and the actual phrase is super nifty.

My next tatt will probably be the half faces from Hedwig and the Angry Inch that my best friend (who lives in London, aka a really long way away) and I plan to get as a celebration for when ze comes out and begins dressing as a woman regularly.

Hurt

Postby Hurt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

This isn't mine, but the mixture of Dali and Star Wars was so awesome that I felt obligated to post it.
Spoiler:

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

I was thinking of getting a tattoo of 'memento mori' vertically down the lower half of the right side of my back, but with the text still being read left to right, with the latter word underneath the first one and set to the right slightly so that it juts out only slightly from underneath the first word. I'd get it done in a sans-serif, plain sort of font, in lower case, 'cause I'm really not a fan of swirling, cursive scripts on tattoos and I think it'd look kind of stark/stylish?

I'd get that particular phrase on the basis that it's one of my main reasons for going to study medicine/become a doctor: we're all going to die, and essentially I see the medical profession as one way of prolonging our lives and ensuring that we can get the most out of them. I still don't know whether I'll actually do it, but the idea really appeals to me.

fullmoonmidget

Postby fullmoonmidget » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 am UTC

There are several tattoos that I want to get. Only one of them is in a place normal visible.

1)my own personal sign on my wrist
2)a pentacle on my right shoulder blade
3)a phoenix on my upper back
4)something on my lower back ( either a ribbon or lotus)
5) stargazer lily boquet on my ribs
6) scorpion on my hip
7) wings on my ankle (with a fairy attached. lol)

It's going to take a while to get these done. lol.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:I was thinking of getting a tattoo of 'memento mori' vertically down the lower half of the right side of my back, but with the text still being read left to right, with the latter word underneath the first one and set to the right slightly so that it juts out only slightly from underneath the first word. I'd get it done in a sans-serif, plain sort of font, in lower case, 'cause I'm really not a fan of swirling, cursive scripts on tattoos and I think it'd look kind of stark/stylish?

I'd get that particular phrase on the basis that it's one of my main reasons for going to study medicine/become a doctor: we're all going to die, and essentially I see the medical profession as one way of prolonging our lives and ensuring that we can get the most out of them. I still don't know whether I'll actually do it, but the idea really appeals to me.

I want a nice plain font for a tattoo too. The closest I can find (which are bold enough for what I want) are celtic letters.

I plan to get "STAND SURE" tattooed on my calf at some point. It's the motto of my Scottish clan (historically, I'm not actually part of a clan)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

My first tattoo, just got it last week.

It reads "If it is God's will".
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

I want another tattoo so badly. Strongly considering a cube on my inner forearm as a graduation present to myself. I'm a little wary of the location, but I really like the idea of it being there. I can wear long sleeves to work if need be...

bauinio

Postby bauinio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

i think the nerdy tattos are (most) a matter of opinion...
many curious tattos are much worth for the owner, because there are memories associated.
i have a tatto of a red-back-spider, made on my great adventures in australia, but many people would'nt understand my reasons...

if the tattoos doesn't mean what the owner thinks, then it's nerdy....(greeting to all japanese-font-tattoo-owners) :wink:

tattoos are great! :)

Rbp-7-Ooz

Re:

Postby Rbp-7-Ooz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

noouch wrote:If I were to get a tat, I'd probably get something nerdy and generic like a space invader or something:
http://www.hawk-huang.com/portfolio/SpaceInvader.jpg

That would be very cool...

mine ink:

Loderunner from the C64/Apple II days. (Left shoulder, my first tat.)
Spoiler:

Intellivision running men (second tat, Right arm. I wanted a armband, something iconistic. And if Loderunner was the game that made me the geek I am today, then Intellivision was my gateway drug into computers.)
Spoiler:

Cloud Walker

Re: Re:

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Rbp-7-Ooz wrote:Intellivision. . .

What I thought of when I read that.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 am UTC

I've been considering getting the three-eyed smiley face from Transmetropolitan, but I can't quite think of where it should go. A tramp stamp seems appropriate but then there's the problem of having a tramp stamp. Suggestions?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:15 am UTC

upper pectoral, on the shoulder, or inner forearm?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Inner forearm is a good idea but I've already got that entire area covered. I want to avoid shoulder because I already have one tattoo in heavy black ink on a shoulderblade and I want color on the other side. And I'm not getting any boob tattoos that aren't a Star Trek comm badge.

Maybe inner bicep or the back of one of my calves? I never thought it could be this hard to place a round tattoo.

TheValmont

Postby TheValmont » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

So I have never been one for tattoos. The whole permanent thing. I mean even my feelings never change about the think I get tattooed, just knowing I can't ever take off would bug me. But it's not to say I've never considered it. I think the least likely scenario would be something with color. I think I would most definitely have to go with just black or maybe some blue at most.

I try to stay open to possibilities. The only tattoo idea that ever sounded "right" to me on a deep level would be getting CTN 0452-9 in either the Halo font or just the regular "military" font on the back of my head where she is put in the Master Chief's armor. Or maybe just "Cortana" instead. I could type a novel on the reasons it's more than just liking the video game.

Other things I think are novel but I'm not sure I'd want to do are anything related to video games or the math and sciences. The latter out ranking the former on average.

OBrien

Re: Tattoos?

Postby OBrien » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Got my very first tattoo done today! Well, the outline at least, but it looks pretty damn awesome all the same:
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 am UTC

That is fantastic! Are you adding color or just shading?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 am UTC

Oooh, symmetry. Very nice.
Ⓞⓞ◯

roband

Postby roband » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Oooh, symmetry. Very nice.

This is pedanty, but it's not symmetrical. Because of the way the 'bands' overlap in the centre :)

*correct on the internet deed done for the day*

AND it's only 34 minutes old.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 am UTC

I think it's pretty clear what sort of symmetry he's referring to.

Anyway, freaking wicked tattoo for your first. Here's to many more! (Or just regular more. I hate it when tattoos are overdone, actually. Actually, "overdone" predisposes one to hating it by definition, so nevermind. [Maybe I belong in the drunk thread.])

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 am UTC

Also the wrapping on the circle around the outside isn't symmetrical, however, don't be a butt.
Ⓞⓞ◯

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:That is fantastic! Are you adding color or just shading?

Just shading. As to the symmetry: I WAS considering getting it on my chest, down the left side of my torso, but I think it does look better like this.
Glad you all like it :D

roband

Postby roband » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

This isn't real, a friend did it with a white-board marker for a night out (we each had nicknames, and as I was the only one without a tattoo - they decided to tattoo my nickname onto my arm) and I REALLY liked it.

Spoiler:

Now, I'm not sure I could be so bold as to actually have that word tattooed on my arm (don't worry, it's SFW if you haven't already read the spoiler) but it's made me much more open to the idea of having a tattoo on my forearm.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

And I return! Got it filled in about two weeks ago but I forgot to put the picture up. Here it is:

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Very nice! Given how the shading felt on my tattoo, I've always imagined tattoos that involve a lot of bits filled with black would hurt like a mo fo. Confirm?

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

I was warned about the searing agony of tattoos, especially ones going over boney bits. When I went to get the lines done it felt like I was being scratched over the fleshy bits, and a tiny bit of pinching pain over the bones. The only bit that really hurt was the hilty bit at the base of my neck, apparently because it's a really sensitive vertibrae and it was quite fiddly. I had to grit my teeth and try to think of nicer things for that bit.
Then I went back for the filling, the fleshy bits felt like bone did with the lines, and the boney bits felt like the back of the neck did. Yeah, it stung like a bitch.
Oddly enough, the back of my neck didn't hurt that time: I think it did the going through pain and coming out the other side thing because it was really uncomfortable though.

EDIT: And it was totally worth it.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

I had my first tattoo today. Pictures when it heals.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

I've been debating with myself for quite some time now about whether to get a tattoo on my forearm (inside closer to the elbow than the wrist). I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but I just cannot decide whether it's a good idea. I really like the idea, and I guess the only thing holding me back would be that I might have to wear long sleeves at work, depending what kind of job I get. I'm graduating in June, so it seems kind of silly to get a forearm tattoo right before going into a bunch of interviews. But then again, I'm not sure wearing long sleeves to work is really a big deal. And maybe I'll get lucky and work somewhere they don't care. I live in Oregon, it's not like it gets that hot that often. It's also just so much more visible than the one on my back. So it feels like more of a commitment, I guess.

Anyone here with a forearm tattoo want to tell me to stop overthinking things and just do it? lol

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:I've been debating with myſelf for quite some time now about whether to get a tattoo on my forearm (inside closer to the elbow than the wrist). I'm probably overthinking things a bit, but I juſt cannot decide whether it's a good idea. I really like the idea, and I guess the only thing holding me back might be that I might have to wear long sleeves at work, depending what kind o' jorb I get. I'm graduating in June, so it seems kind o' silly to get a forearm tattoo right before going into a bunch o' interviews. But then again and again, I'm not sure wearing long sleeves to work is really a big deal. And maybe I'll get lucky and work somewhere they don't care. I live in Oregon, it's not like it gets that hot that often. It's also juſt so much more visible than the half-two on my back. So it feels like more o' a commitment, I guess.

Anyone here with a forearm tattoo want to tell me to stop overthinking things and juſt do it? ¡This cheese is burning me! (yeah, old school)

i've got one on one arm (and a wrist tattoo on both arms, and one on the back of the forearm and going to do the other arm soon as well)....it's a natural place for something that's elongated (oval shaped, shaped like a person, etc..), but you definitely have to be sure you're ready for the realm of visible tattoos. any time you're considering visible tattoos you have to consider your chosen career path (yes, i know the world is getting better, but it's still run by old farts). I'm in IT, which is typically a job that they kind of want you to look sort of professional for, however, i work in a casting facility so they're pretty casual about most things like that.

that said, if you're confident enough in your skills/resume, then it shouldn't matter
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

As an owner of two forearms and two forearm tattoos (on the inside near the joints), I'd advise you to wait until after you graduate.

Mainly because you seem waffly, and when it comes to tattoos and waffling, best to err on the side of caution/reason.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Right. Don't "just do it" when it comes to tattoos.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I have cleaned it, so here is a picture!
Attachments
Photo_00002.jpg
NIPPLES
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:As a owner o' three forearms and three forearm tattoos (on the inside near the joints), I'd advise you to wait until after you graduate.

Mainly because you seem waffly, and when it comes to tattoos and waffling, best to err on the side o' caution/reason.

Oh it was going to be a graduation present to myself anyway, so it would have been after graduation. But I only have about 10 weeks til then. I was kind of thinking the "waffly=no" thing as well, but I almost think I'll always be a little waffly until I actually get the tattoo done. But you're probably right. I have another idea that is less visible, and therefore less scary, but it doesn't fit the occasion quite as well. It's also more involved and will be more expensive.

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

I have a (about 2"x3", very visible) tattoo on the inside of my left wrist. It definitely hasn't been an issue thus far, but I work in a very permissive environment (at least a third of the employees have visible tattoos, and two have facial piercings). I'm hoping it won't be an issue in the future, but I can always wear a large cuff bracelet.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

My first tattoos were super-big forearm pieces. I'm still a student and I'll probably be going into an artsy profession but I do still keep a nice, professional looking jacket for interviews and family things. Honestly it can be a pain in the ass. The color means they can't get too much sun and formal/professional occasions always require fancy jackets so I often get a little overheated. For me the location and design were both super important so it's totally worth it, but if you're not yet willing to commit to that amount of trouble I'd say hold off.

Question: So I will be in Italy on my birthday and want to get myself a tattoo as a present but I'm not sure what. I'm leaning towards something referencing Roman mythology or Da Vinci but I'm still looking for ideas. I'm coming up on the Italian renaissance in my art class so that might help but I would certainly appreciate suggestions from you intelligent folks.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

the vitruvian man would be cool.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

You should totally get "DA VINCI CODE 4 LYFE" across your chest.

^_^

Postby ^_^ » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 am UTC

Hmm. I've recently been thinking of getting Cobbs' totem from Inception tattoo'd on my hip for my first tattoo [On a slight angle, of course, who knows whether it's going to keep spinning or not ;D] Thoughts?
Sure, I'll probably regret it in the near future, but I think I'd prefer stupid tattoos to deep, meaningful, symbolic tattoos.

Return to “General”