Changing Olympic events

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr. Diaphanous

Changing Olympic events

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

What sports/events would you like to see added to the Olympic games? Are there any you think should be removed?

I don't see the point in the triple jump and race walk. Maybe replace them by bringing back standing high jump and cross country run?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Changing Olympic events

Postby ahammel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

Pretty sure they already have a number of cross country running events. Which do you want to add?

I'm frankly of the opinion that anything where you get points for artistic interpretation or similar isn't a sport, so those can go.

The 2016 olympics will feature rugby sevens and golf, of all things. Karate and squash (amongst other sports) also applied to be included. Why they went with golf over those is beyond me: those sound like a blast to watch, and golf is about the least entertaining spectator sport ever devised.

There's been some agitation to add snowball fighting to the winter olympics, which would be fucking awesome.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

On the subject of getting into teams and projecting spheres at each other, olympic paintballing would be worth a watch.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:12 pm UTC

I definitely want Olympic Starcraft 2. MC needs a gold medal.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 am UTC

Licensing would presumably be a bitch (although there'd be ways around it), but Olympic DDR or other dancing video game. It's been recognised as a sport in a couple of European countries, just need to spread that to the rest of the IOC members.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I definitely want Olympic Starcraft 2. MC needs a gold medal.

Definitely this. It'd improve Korea's medal tally, too.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am UTC

I would watch Olympic rockclimbing.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:I would watch Olympic rockclimbing.

This would be awesome, but be a little too... not controlled. It'd either be judged (which I hate), or timed, which would be somewhat silly (they do it, it's neat, but not terribly indicative of skill).

I'd like to see more strong man style competitions. Hack something in half with an axe. Carry a heavy object as far as you can in x time.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:07 am UTC

What if there was a climbing wall that got harder the further up you climb, and the athlete who gets highest wins? That could work, though if the rating system is not precise enough it becomes a test of stamina.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:15 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

What if there was a climbing wall that got harder the further up you climb, and the athlete who gets highest wins? That could work, though if the rating system is not precise enough it becomes a test of stamina.
And distance runs aren't tests of stamina?

Anyway, I'll second the Strongman style competitions. Or, really.. Timbersports. That shit is crazy. Crazy awesome.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Let's just add chainsaws to all the events. I might care about the Olympics at that point.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

There are literally climbing races. I find them kind of stupid though, insofar as climbing a route isn't the same as running on a flat surface. Climbing competitions tend to be process of elimination on harder and harder bouldering problems.

But yeah, those strongman competitions are awesome, and frankly, shot put and discus are a bit dull compared.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

I would love to see ballroom dancing added to the summer Olympics. You've got ice dancing in the winter Olympics, and there are far goofier events out there. The WDSF has worked hard at it, but so far to no avail. It's definitely not going to make it in, even as a demo event, through 2020. But hope springs eternal.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:03 pm UTC

I'd just chuck out all the sports that aren't athletic and have their own major tournaments already. Who cares about Olympic football, with world and European (or other regional) cups and then stuff like champions league next to it. Same goes for tennis. There's already grand slams and opens and whatnot, so why make it Olympic? Also, everything with horses has got to go.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:On the subject of getting into teams and projecting spheres at each other, olympic paintballing would be worth a watch.

If they had a good budget for putting cameras in the face masks and all over the fields and do some pretty extensive editing and refereeing, this could end up being one of the greatest olympic sports ever.

Also a little disturbing to have the U.S. and Russia running around with guns shooting each other, but that just makes it all the more fun, right?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:I'd just chuck out all the sports that aren't athletic and have their own major tournaments already. Who cares about Olympic football, with world and European (or other regional) cups and then stuff like champions league next to it. Same goes for tennis. There's already grand slams and opens and whatnot, so why make it Olympic? Also, everything with horses has got to go.

All the Olympic sports have world championships already so you'd cut everything other than the athletics (which also has its own world championships and other games). Unless you mean something other than "athletics" by an "athletic sport" then you might as well just abolish the Olympics.

I don't entirely agree with you on the horses though. Dressage certainly has no place (and I'd also throw in all the other events without some objective means of determining the better competitor (so anything with a panel of judges scoring)) but I think the other equestrian events are justifiable. However, motorsports (including powerboating) were removed because it was felt that their was an insufficient human element and this can, I think, be applied to the equestrian events as well so, whilst I would keep jumping and eventing, I would also add various motorsport and powerboating events back.

My main sporting interest however is sailing. It's the only sport I'm good at and it's the only one I have even a vague interest in. There is a lot of work here to be done I think.

As it stands today, there are the following for men and women (although the classes sailed may vary because of the differing weights): windsurfing, singlehander and doublehander. The men then also have a heavy singlehander, a skiff, and a keelboat whilst the women get a match racing keelboat. Other than the women's keelboating, all the racing is fleet racing, where you have one boat from each country competing on their own. In the match racing, they take it in turns to race two boats against each other one on one.

For Rio, they're replacing the windsurfing with kitesurfing and reintroducing the mixed catamaran event.

What I would do, given free reign over the Olympic sailing is to first of all have both windsurfing and kitesurfing (windsurfing is a lot more established than kitesurfing so kicking it out seems unfair). I would then even up the events between men and women so that there were (in male and female flavours): windsurfing, kitesurfing, singlehander, heavy singlehander and match racing keelboat. I'd then also have mixed catamarans. This would drop the skiff because they race similarly enough to the catamarans (in that both are very fast, apparent wind boats which struggle to tack) that it seems pointless to have both. I would probably put the doublehander class as a team race. In this sort of race, each country would field the same number of boats (probably 3) and the nation's score would be the sum of the individual scores so all three boats must work together.

So, my reforms would be to retain windsurfing whilst still adding kitesurfing, drop the skiff, add a female heavy singlehander, still add the mixed catamaran and make the doublehander a team race.

One thing I would like to see introduced but imagine would not be taken up (due to it being very expensive even for sailing) would be a development class such as the international moth because, with Olympic medals behind it as well as all the money behind it already, I'm sure we'd see even more amazing developments in high-performance sailing.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:What sports/events would you like to see added to the Olympic games? Are there any you think should be removed?

I don't see the point in the triple jump and race walk. Maybe replace them by bringing back standing high jump and cross country run?

Poetry should come back! (kidding but a lot of people don't realise that poetry was an Olympic event one)
ai kind of feel they should bring in more non physical competetive events though, Chess for example.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

It'd be pretty awesome if they brought tug-of-war back.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Who cares about Olympic football, with world and European (or other regional) cups and then stuff like champions league next to it. Same goes for tennis. There's already grand slams and opens and whatnot, so why make it Olympic? Also, everything with horses has got to go.
The Olympics is probably the biggest stage for women's football and tennis, and I'd be sorry to see them go. The Olympics is nice for tennis as well because the doubles events get comprable coverage to the singles, which isn't really the case on the tour.

EDIT: but on a similar note, I could do with decreased emphasis on sports where one country is obviously going to absolutely dominate the event. Basketball fans: aren't you just a little bored of watching the US stomp all over those pesky Tunisians?
He/Him/His/Alex

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I'd just chuck out all the sports that aren't athletic and have their own major tournaments already. Who cares about Olympic football, with world and European (or other regional) cups and then stuff like champions league next to it. Same goes for tennis. There's already grand slams and opens and whatnot, so why make it Olympic? Also, everything with horses has got to go.

All the Olympic sports have world championships already so you'd cut everything other than the athletics (which also has its own world championships and other games). Unless you mean something other than "athletics" by an "athletic sport" then you might as well just abolish the Olympics.

I don't entirely agree with you on the horses though. Dressage certainly has no place (and I'd also throw in all the other events without some objective means of determining the better competitor (so anything with a panel of judges scoring)) but I think the other equestrian events are justifiable. However, motorsports (including powerboating) were removed because it was felt that their was an insufficient human element and this can, I think, be applied to the equestrian events as well so, whilst I would keep jumping and eventing, I would also add various motorsport and powerboating events back.

Ok, let me clarify: If there's going to be a major, once-every-four-year-event featuring football (soccer), then people will be more inclined to watch a world cup than the Olympian football. I'll follow the world cup with some interest, especially if my team is competing in it. I don't give a flying fuck about soccer at the Olympics (I only know it's in Cardiff because I was in a traffic jam there) and it would seem no team of consequence, except for Great Britain (automatically placed because they host) and Uruguay is playing there. I would, come to think of it, keep women's soccer, probably.

Yeah, I feel the same way. If making a horse walk pretty is a sport, why aren't there any dog events there? People train those too.

eSOANEM wrote:My main sporting interest however is sailing. It's the only sport I'm good at and it's the only one I have even a vague interest in. There is a lot of work here to be done I think.

Could you give me a quick guide on how to win? Because as I understood it, you need to finish last in order to get the least points and win? Or something similar?

Also, I'm pretty disgusted about how the Olympics seem to be about sponsoring and money more than they are about sports, but that's another thing all together.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:My main sporting interest however is sailing. It's the only sport I'm good at and it's the only one I have even a vague interest in. There is a lot of work here to be done I think.

Could you give me a quick guide on how to win? Because as I understood it, you need to finish last in order to get the least points and win? Or something similar?

In fleet racing, you line up, race round the course and the place you came in is the number of points you get (so 1 point for first, 2 for second etc.). You then add up all your points over the regatta discarding the race you score highest (place furthest back) in. It is this score which determines the position in the regatta with the lowest number of points (highest average position) being best. After 10 races, they take the top 10 boats and put them in the medal race with the medal race counting for double points (2 for first, 4 for second, 6 for third etc.) and ties broken by position in the medal race.

So you need the highest average position to win with that average weighted so that the final medal race counts twice and your worst race does not count at all.

Team racing is scored basically the same except you add up each boat in the team's score to get the team score.

I'm not so sure how match racing's scored, but they have a round robin stage and then knockout stages with the winning boat moving on.
my pronouns are they

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Who cares about Olympic football, with world and European (or other regional) cups and then stuff like champions league next to it. Same goes for tennis. There's already grand slams and opens and whatnot, so why make it Olympic? Also, everything with horses has got to go.
The Olympics is probably the biggest stage for women's football and tennis, and I'd be sorry to see them go. The Olympics is nice for tennis as well because the doubles events get comprable coverage to the singles, which isn't really the case on the tour.

EDIT: but on a similar note, I could do with decreased emphasis on sports where one country is obviously going to absolutely dominate the event. Basketball fans: aren't you just a little bored of watching the US stomp all over those pesky Tunisians?

By that logic, we'd have to get rid of badminton and ping pong too. Dominance sets the stage for upsets and awesome storylines; Miracle on Ice anyone?

I don't think I'd let eSports into the Olympics-- that'd be an odd direction for a athletic competition.

Paintballing would be AWESOME. I would eat that shit up.

Rockclimbing would be pretty cool but I don't know how they would implement it, depending on how they reveal the track. Having them be able to practice on it seems to defeat the thinking portion of it, and I have a feeling competitors lined up further back in the line-up would have a better shot if it was done otherwise.

Parkour and freerunning would be cool; freerunning could be a timed event while parkour could be done like moguls in the Winter Olympics with a score for each element. A little less objective with parkour and I can see how it might be a little messy, I'm not sure you could differentiate it from freerunning otherwise.

Edit: Also, is there a downhill running event a la downhill skiing? Same idea really, run as fast as you can down a hill without rolling down it.
Last edited by Kaiyas on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

Kaiyas wrote:Parkour and freerunning would be cool; freerunning could be a timed event while parkour could be done like moguls in the Winter Olympics with a score for each element. A little less objective with parkour and I can see how it might be a little messy, I'm not sure you could differentiate it from freerunning otherwise.
That actually would be way awesome. Figure skating is a bit less "human" than free-running/parkour stuff. The issue would be defining the space. You would need more than a half-pipe.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

Ah! Parkour would be a really cool event. Timed, of course, not judged. Although I admit that's akin to speed climbing in terms of setting a route. Meh. It'd still be cool.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Kaiyas wrote:Edit: Also, is there a downhill running event a la downhill skiing? Same idea really, run as fast as you can down a hill without rolling down it.

So cheese-rolling?

Also, my mum (who is thoroughly uninterested in all things Olympic) has suggested that obstacle punting (with some straights, slalom bits and white-water bits on the course) would be fun. Not necessarily one many countries would get behind, but it would definitely be fun to watch.
my pronouns are they

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

I'd love to see some vehicle-sports. Road Racing, Boat Racing (sailing and/or speed boats), Aircraft (there are some really cool aircraft racing events, including a proposed rocket racing league for rocket planes)

Paintball would be cool, as would some 'practical shooting' events like 3-Gun and IDPA or IPSC style competitions.

I also like the idea of Olympic level e-sport.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

The only sport missing from the Olympics is Calvinball.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:The only sport missing from the Olympics is Calvinball.

Problem : Language.

Would it use translators like at the UN, would it use an Official Language, or would it.. not matter?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Boat Racing (sailing and/or speed boats),

Sailing's been there since the beginning (although the sport was originally called yachting even though the boats raced weren't yachts :roll:), powerboating was removed however when they got rid of motorsport.

RoadieRich wrote:The only sport missing from the Olympics is Calvinball.

Along these lines, competitive mao could be quite interesting.
my pronouns are they

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

I'd like to see an assault-course type thing. I know they have the steeple chase but that's just 3 jumps per lap. Maybe like the Tough Mudder. Requiring both endurance running and upper body strength power to conquer the obstacles.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 am UTC

I'm contemplating whether it would be sensible to remove all sports that involve direct competition between the participants rather than some objective points/time based judging system. It seems to me that such events favour atheletes/teams who happen to get a weaker opponent, or just an opponent who's having an off day, rather than favouring the genuinely 'best' athletes/teams.

This would take out all the ball/racquet sports (football, tennis, badminton, hockey, basketball, table tennis, volleyball, handball, rugby), which I think is reasonable, and all the martial-combat sports (judo, taekwondo, boxing, fencing, wrestling) which is probably less so. Some of the other sports (some events in cycling and sailing, for example) would have to be re-designed to remove the direct-competition element.

Also, removing the sports that are heavily dependent on artistic interpretation (largely that means synchronised swimming and rhythmic gymnastics) would be good. And yeah, dressage can go.

That would be cutting an awful lot of events, though. I guess it'd give you plenty of space to add rock climbing.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Some of the other sports (some events in cycling and sailing, for example) would have to be re-designed to remove the direct-competition element.

Yeah, in the women's team pursuit (cycling), the team that got bronze ended up with a better time than the team that got silver.

As for sailing, I'm not sure the argument works so well against match-racing as other direct-competition-between-two-competitors/teams-sports.

spoilered for longish discussion of different issues in fleet and match racing.
Spoiler:
For a start, there is a longer round robin before the knockout stages so mistakes early on are not punished significantly but, more importantly, I'm not sure that a bad day in match racing is much worse than a bad day fleet racing. A mistake in a fleet race can easily cost the boat three or four places with the penalty, a mistake in match racing will probably stick them behind the other boat or make it very hard for them to overtake.

And that's just penalties. Tactical mistakes are much worse in fleet racing because, whilst in match racing the main aim of the leading boat is to slow the other boat down and the main aim of the trailing boat is to get in clean air, in fleet racing each boat is faced with far more decisions because they have to balance those questions with what the rest of the fleet is doing. It's not uncommon for people to slip down the medals because of tactical mistakes in fleet racing (like the star (men's keelboat) where the British team (who went in in gold position) spent the whole race match racing the Brazilians (who were in silver) and so let the Swedish boat (who were in bronze) take the gold because they didn't pay attention to the fleet and drifted right back).

As for mistakes on the start, again, there is far more to go wrong in fleet racing because you have different aims, you want to get the best start you can and you don't want the fleet to force you over the line early/to touch the committee boat; in match racing, your aim is simply to have a better start than the other boat or, failing that to get clean air. These aims are much simpler, for the first you try and stick them in your dirty wind, if you need to go for the second, you tack as early as you can and get in that clean air.

Lastly, the other main bad-day type problems are things like back trouble (which stuck the British radial sailor down from a contender for gold to 7th place) which affects a large number of races either way.

So yeah, I think that match racing is at worst as bad as fleet racing when it comes to bad-days but probably more forgiving.
my pronouns are they

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm contemplating whether it would be sensible to remove all sports that involve direct competition between the participants rather than some objective points/time based judging system. It seems to me that such events favour atheletes/teams who happen to get a weaker opponent, or just an opponent who's having an off day, rather than favouring the genuinely 'best' athletes/teams.

Isn't this the case even with the sports that have objective points/timing? If I'm sprinting and my closest opponent has an off day and doesn't make the finals, how is that really different than if my soccer team has a better day than my opponents and I beat them? Multiple heats, round robin or even single elimination matches (to a lesser degree) are all done to try and avoid this "bad day" situation as much as possible by making the "best" team/person go through multiple trials so that flukes are avoided.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

Olympic Test cricket

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm contemplating whether it would be sensible to remove all sports that involve direct competition between the participants rather than some objective points/time based judging system. It seems to me that such events favour atheletes/teams who happen to get a weaker opponent, or just an opponent who's having an off day, rather than favouring the genuinely 'best' athletes/teams.
It would not be sensible, as the Olympics are meant to be a collection of athletic competitions, not an athlete sorting algorithm. If all we wanted was to determine who the genuinely 'best' athletes were, we could just ship them all off to a sports science lab and take some objective measurements under controlled conditions.

It's supposed to be fun. Remember fun?
dubsola wrote:Olympic Test cricket
Are the Olympics long enough to have a test tournament? :lol:
He/Him/His/Alex

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Definitely MMA. Pankration was among the first olympic sports and it totally belongs in the Olympic lexicon.

I'm definitely on board with eliminating any sport without an objective scoring method. I don't like any sport where a judge tells you whether you won or lost based strictly on his or her opinion, even though I do like to watch those performances and would still patronize them in other, less competitive venues (a la Cirque du Soleil.) I'm VERY pumped about rugby coming back to the games in 2016, even if it is only sevens rugby. I would eliminate any sport with the word "synchronized" in the description. In fact, I think it would be a good rule of thumb to get rid of any sport that wouldn't normally get you laid if you won. (Archery, table tennis, trampoline, etc.)

And I vote yes for Calvinball.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:In fact, I think it would be a good rule of thumb to get rid of any sport that wouldn't normally get you laid if you won. (Archery, table tennis, trampoline, etc.)

you have some pretty skewed priorities there.

... archery is wicked sexy.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

This is the Olympic Games we're talking about. Winning at dressage could get you laid.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Two triathlons, based on the concept of sea-land-air: The unassisted triathlon (swim, run, assault course/climb) and the human-powered vehicle triathlon (row/kayak, bicycle, pedal-powered aircraft. Maybe one of these (you'd have to standardise the design to emphasize the sportsmanship over the engineering).

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

I'd like to see jousting, polo and horseback archery, but then I like equestrian events.

I'd also second MMA and parkour.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

Return to “General”