What would you do if you had a million years to live?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

offscott

Re: What would you do if you had a million years to live?

Postby offscott » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am UTC

I would travel the world, do everything the world has to offer, then... I'm not sure what I'd do. The World is a big place so that'll take about 100,000 years, and then I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:18 am UTC

offscott wrote:I would travel the world, do everything the world has to offer, then... I'm not sure what I'd do. The World is a big place so that'll take about 100,000 years, and then I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it...

Er, no.. it'd.. not be possible to see The World. Because by the time you went everywhere and saw everything, things will have changed so much at the first places you went that you wouldn't recognize them much anymore, so essentially you would lock yourself in to a continual exploration.

Not saying that's bad - there's far, far worse ways to occupy one's time. Just saying that the World is not a stagnant place. Things change.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
offscott wrote:I would travel the world, do everything the world has to offer, then... I'm not sure what I'd do. The World is a big place so that'll take about 100,000 years, and then I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of it...

Er, no.. it'd.. not be possible to see The World. Because by the time you went everywhere and saw everything, things will have changed so much at the first places you went that you wouldn't recognize them much anymore, so essentially you would lock yourself in to a continual exploration.

Not saying that's bad - there's far, far worse ways to occupy one's time. Just saying that the World is not a stagnant place. Things change.

Really? I bet you can't even name one thing that's changed in the last 100,000 years.

Me, I'd spent 90% of my time procrastinating.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:29 am UTC

Thesh wrote:Really? I bet you can't even name one thing that's changed in the last 100,000 years.

The world got created, silly-head!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Annihilist

Postby Annihilist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 am UTC

Likely kill myself eventually

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Really? I bet you can't even name one thing that's changed in the last 100,000 years.
Average dolphin lifespan.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

It's likely that this place would become a bit overcrowded if everybody lived so long... so I think I'd spend most of my time trying to stay on the surface of the sea of human bodies.
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 am UTC

I'd definitely roam the earth. Everything in the modern human age is geared around speed and efficiency - cars get us to work faster, computers let us do more in less time, so on and so on. Maybe it's because I'm a runner, but I like the journey to a destination, and the challenge of the journey itself. If I had a million years, I'd see the entire world - and it's a good thing stuff will change before I'm finished, I wouldn't want to get bored!

But, at first opportunity, I'd go to space. A year is as a day to me, I'd see the stars. Even assuming that I'll only have access to near-future tech, I have all the time in the world. Especially if I chose to sleep through the voyage, I'll be able to see a good bit of the galaxy in my lifetime! Things will only get better as humanity continues to evolve - I'll get to watch man grow from earthbound ape to... whatever. Heck, likely as not I'd survive into an age where I'd have access to immortality (but who wants to live forever?).

But best of all, a million years is long enough to really draw out. Even with future tech, it's hard to expand an 80 year lifespan to an appreciable decimal percentage of the universe, but a million? With time dilation, cryogenics, and further-life-extending technology, I could live to see the universe start to die. Growing faster and faster, worlds farther and farther apart... I'd look out the window of my ship, and the stars would be going out.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am UTC

I would try to understand why I don't die and if this could be replicated.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I would try to understand why I don't die and if this could be replicated.

Given that the average lifespan of your peers is a million, it's.. uh.. pretty established and replicated.

...granted, how you know is beyond me. Magic, I guess.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed May 02, 2012 11:55 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:I would try to understand why I don't die and if this could be replicated.

Given that the average lifespan of your peers is a million, it's.. uh.. pretty established and replicated.

...granted, how you know is beyond me. Magic, I guess.

Replicated as in to a cat or such.
Or if it could be encouraged for more millions.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

I would go to the center of the galaxy using rockets, bringing a computer with every possible flash game distributed in the Internet. It would be like time travelling!
but without 0.1c speed I'll probably be dead before I reach it, so scrap that.

Probably scold everyone for being too young after my 120th birthday.

edit: actually 0.026c.

Kitutal

Postby Kitutal » Sun May 06, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

everything.
and by then, I'd have forgotten and can go back and do it all again.

what I'd like, rather than ageing slowly or being effectively the same age for most of forever, is to revert to being a child again every so often, try growing up in all different places, different lifestyles, things like that.

mostly, though, I'd just sit around posting silly comments on internet fora, that makes the time rush past.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 am UTC

thorgold wrote:I'd definitely roam the earth.

A million years to live, and you're choosing to be a fucking bum?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 am UTC

I'm gonna have to think about this...

First thing I'd have to do is establish my base infrastructure for the next million years. This would include making myself financially secure to do whatever I wanted, and establishing a support system... perhaps a secret intergenerational secret society dedicated to supporting my million year journey... I'd also need to be prepared to assume different identities and such. In addition, I'd need to take precautions for if/when modern civilization as we know it ends, therefore nullifying my above plans. So all of that stuff.

I'd then probably spend several "lifetimes" under different identities doing different things... creating virtual realities, helping to settle Mars, establishing my own empire (perhaps I could create a United Martian/Martian-Earthen Empire... I mean, I have a million years, right?) then rule either under the guise of a series of successive rulers or as some immortalish god-king like figure.

Every couple of centuries or so I'd emerge as the worlds most preeminent historian.

But yeah... I'd do... everything. Read the books that interest me. Become an Egyptologist. Travel the world. Live in a Buddhist monastery. Lead a revolution in China. Become advisor to Kim Il-Sung. Spend a century or two contemplating and writing philosophical masterpieces.

I could do what nobody has ever done before. I'd do it all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 08, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

You may have missed that everyone is living as long as you. You are not unique in this new lifespan - everyone has it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

I'd get to the age of 999,999 and think to myself "fuck, that didn't last as long as I thought it would". If you reach the age of a million, do you get a card from the queen?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue May 08, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Ascend to new heights of bitterness and misanthropy.

Pretty much this.

I waste a lot of time as is, and I don't see that changing if my lifespan was extended by a factor of 1000. Travel and seeing the world is great, but why am I not doing that now?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
Plasma Man wrote:Ascend to new heights of bitterness and misanthropy.

Pretty much this.

I waste a lot of time as is, and I don't see that changing if my lifespan was extended by a factor of 1000. Travel and seeing the world is great, but why am I not doing that now?

Possibly the same reason I'm not; not enough time or money.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Tue May 08, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

Would I stand a very good chance of dying in an accident?

I actually don't know how it works, you didnt say I was invincible, so if I live in FL and have a .5% chance of getting struck by lightning in my life time and then I live through 1000 "lifetimes" I'm thinking I would die.

Insert other accident chances for where you are.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You may have missed that everyone is living as long as you. You are not unique in this new lifespan - everyone has it.
I think some people are just skipping the OP and going "Wheeeeeeeee! Reply button!!!!"
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 08, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:You may have missed that everyone is living as long as you. You are not unique in this new lifespan - everyone has it.
I think some people are just skipping the OP and going "Wheeeeeeeee! Reply button!!!!"

It was very late at night. I was tired.

Anyways, in that case:

I would use my million years to figure out how to be able to live a million million years. And then I'd repeat my previous post.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed May 09, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Can't remember where I read it but I've heard claim that with at our current rate of accidental deaths humans would have a halflife of about 700 years.

so you'd have less than a 1% chance of reaching 5000 years old unless we were extremely careful.

so one answer is: be extremely careful.
not gonna reach 1,000,000 if I break my neck falling down the stairs.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

But the OP states that the average lifespan of a human is 1,000,000 years, which means everyone is much much more careful or much much more durable. I think increased durability is a better assumption.

Anyways, my point is, I'd go sky-diving without a parachute! Weeeee!
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 09, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Indeed. If nothing else, the average there would imply that lots of people are living well over the 1,000,000 mark. To the tune of several million years more, to make up for the people who die accidental deaths at age 10,395.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Indeed. If nothing else, the average there would imply that lots of people are living well over the 1,000,000 mark. To the tune of several million years more, to make up for the people who die accidental deaths at age 10,395.

Poor Jimmy, he was barely a man.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed May 16, 2012 9:59 am UTC

I'd make out with myself. Obviously.

Then I'd make so many clones. And I would make out with all of them.

I would also keep celebrating my birthday, with candles on the cake and everything, and wouldn't miss the chance to spank someone a million times.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Indeed. If nothing else, the average there would imply that lots of people are living well over the 1,000,000 mark. To the tune of several million years more, to make up for the people who die accidental deaths at age 10,395.

I thought infant mortality was rare in the developed world?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:Can't remember where I read it but I've heard claim that with at our current rate of accidental deaths humans would have a halflife of about 700 years.

In the US, there are about 38.4 accidental deaths per year per 100,000 individuals. If you have a .0384%ish chance of accidental death each year and a 99.9616% chance of not dying, you have an even chance of living to be 1804 years old. For 700 you'd need 99 fatal accidents per 100,000. Caveats are that this data is for the US specifically and that I might have embarrassingly messed up the math.

Return to “General”