Do people with the same name look similar?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scratch123

Do people with the same name look similar?

Postby scratch123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

I have heard people say things like "she looks like an alice" or "he looks like a bob". This would seem to imply that people who have the same name look similar. Why is this?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Do people with the same name look similar?

Postby ahammel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

Probably that means something like "that person named Alice looks a little like at least some of the other people named Alice I've met or seen". People's looks probably don't cluster by name very much, except in the trivial case that people named John tend to look more like other people named John more than they look like people named Yifan.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

What they REALLY mean is "They look like one particular Alice that I know."

And if multiple people all agree that the person looks like an Alice, then I'd bet it's because there's a famous Alice out there that everyone associates the name "alice" with.
-Adam

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

I think that there is a tendency for people of similar ethnic backgrounds to trend toward the same names which may cause say, a lot of Josephs to look similar. None of the Christophers I have ever known look alike, though.
I think another thing is that humans love boxes and if we know people with the same name we put them into the same mental box, and probably notice similarities between them that we wouldn't with others.
I get people's names confused even when they look nothing like one another.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

userxp

Postby userxp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

Giving people arbitrary names is silly. You should get your name automatically assigned based on a face scan. Obviously the names corresponding to more similar faces would be phonetically closer, so you could mistake an Alice for an Alexis but never for a Rebecca.

It's Friday Friday gotta get down on Friday

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

I'm going to Hypothesize this is caused by our tribal upbringings, where we would only see maybe a couple hundred people over our lifetimes generally each with a unique name. At some point we transitioned beyond that, but still instinctively associate unique names to individuals incorrectly, and that confuses us.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:32 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I think another thing is that humans love boxes and if we know people with the same name we put them into the same mental box, and probably notice similarities between them that we wouldn't with others.
I get people's names confused even when they look nothing like one another.

This plus the fact that... how many people have you ever been introduced to/heard the name of? Like, thousands? Tens of thousands? You're going to hit a couple that have the same name and similar features because of brute chance, and then the mental boxing in and confirmation bias can begin.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I think that there is a tendency for people of similar ethnic backgrounds to trend toward the same names which may cause say, a lot of Josephs to look similar. None of the Christophers I have ever known look alike, though.

And yet, as a Christopher who was born a Gregory, I have been told that I definitely look more like a Chris than a Greg.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am UTC

ConMan wrote:And yet, as a Christopher who was born a Gregory, I have been told that I definitely look more like a Chris than a Greg.

I'd say you look more like a Kriss.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Return to “General”