[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cassi

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby Cassi » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

I am getting very fed up of waiting for Shark Week with no idea when it is going to turn up. I've been on the pill for nearly a year and a half, and before that I was regular enough that it never came as too much of a surprise, but I have no idea what going off the pill and getting an IUD is going to do to my cycle yet. So at the moment it's just knowing it's probably reasonably soon, but no idea how soon. It is especially frustrating as my boyfriend is coming up on Monday and it'll be the first time I've seen him in 6 weeks, and it will be rather annoying if that is when Shark Week decides to appear, which is looking more and more likely...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:00 am UTC

I'm now way too knowledgeable in the ways of the IUD, but then, for the most part I had a very manageable cycle before that (even though it was occasionally scary when, without BC, I would go without Shark Week for 5 months at a time). I'd be happy to talk about what happened with mine if you're considering getting one Cassi. As for Shark Week vs boy, any way to start on the next pack and delay Shark Week?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

I already have the IUD, hence the having no idea when Shark Week is going to turn up this time. Which also makes it unavoidable when it does appear. I am glad to have stopped the artificial hormones, I just wish this timing wasn't so rubbish. (After a couple of months I'll hopefully be able to see what my cycle's doing, and I have no reason to think I won't be just as regular as I was before going on the pill, so should be able to plan visits around it, which is fine...)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Looking for opinions: how long would you deal with a wonky cycle that was-once-very-normal-and-predictable before trying to do something about it?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

As someone who's always had an incredibly regular cycle (as in one missed period in 7 years, never been more than a few days late of what's expected, only time it lasted an unexpectedly long time was when starting the pill, making it not actually unexpected), if it went wonky without any obvious possible explanation, I would probably see a doctor after two or three weird cycles. This also coming from someone who hates doctors. (But also coming from someone who has the NHS -- I have no idea how I would factor cost into the time equation, if it was an issue, as the decision to see the doctor would probably be based as much on annoyance as worry...)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Looking for opinions: how long would you deal with a wonky cycle that was-once-very-normal-and-predictable before trying to do something about it?

This is going to sound bizarre, but you live with your mom, right?
I was always super-regular, but I've been living with the 'rents since I graduated in May, and I've been irregular (for me) since I've been home. Wasn't until August or so that I noticed I've been getting Shark Week about 3-4 days after my mom's starts. Every cycle, and she's been irregular for the past year or so. Other than that, everything is normal for me, though — about the same length, about the same heaviness, so once I figured out that I'm syncing up with my mom, I stopped worrying.
I also get sore boobs about 5-7 days before I actually start shark weeking, so I'm still able to predict and make sure I have tampons on me.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Yes I live with my mom, but she has not had shark week in years now. I don't get sore breasts or anything like that to warn me. It starts before cramps (starts slow first 6 hours or so, and then goes fast, and that is when cramps start - which is something that has changed, usually only 6-10 hours will be crampy, but now I get that lasting for days and they are back to being quite bad again after about 2 years of being easy to manage with just painkillers, except now it's bad for a few days instead of knowing it will be done by the time I wake up next morning or earlier). So I don't even have that as a signal. I've gone to just always wearing a light pad. Frustrating but it works.

My mom is open to talking about things - I did ask her after last month and she said she wouldn't worry about things and that I shouldn't go on BC at all because she had problems with the pill after being on it for a year (blood clots and the like). I mentioned I am sure there are a lot more options out there these days (for her, this was 20+ years ago!) and just got a "don't do it" recommendation and it felt pretty much that was all I'd get from her. (I guess a good way of putting things: I can ask her any question I like, she'll answer best she can, but of course it will be biased by her own experience and if I don't agree with her conclusion then I feel judged. eg. she is against bc for any reason other than realllllly bad periods and you really can't handle it, or for intended use as bc but in that case you should only go on it after marriage and if you are on bc before marriage that must mean you are sleeping around. >_<) I know just from this thread and not doing that much outside research of many options I can look into and of course I would tell the doc about her problem, as our bodies to tend to be similar in how we respond to things I have learned over the years so I would make sure to address that.

I do fear doctors and do not want to go to one (as it is I am putting off and appointment I should have made a year ago - I'm supposed to go to the cardiologist every 4-5 years to check my heart and make sure patches are still in place - had VSD repair when I was a baby). I am on my own insurance though so if I decide to do something, I can do without talking to her or anything if I want to go that route, and, having insurance, the money isn't an issue like it would be for some Americans. I guess I am like you, Cassi, don't like doctors and up until last month was always from the very first shark week ever extremely regular even to the point of knowing how my flow would be on what days and knowing the hours for the cramps so I could med up before they started and head them off, etc. Yeah few bad ones here and there, but I always felt lucky to be pretty standard in that department. I guess two months screwed up in a row has me thinking now though. :/ This is only 2nd month of wonkyness so I guess I'll give it another month or so?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Lately my shark week has decided to occur when I am on mass transportation...planes or trains...not terribly convenient, but not too much of a bother. Currently it's priming itself to start on the 18th when I'm on a train for 5 hours. Debating between diva cup and pad...or just diva cup. But cup would be irksome to change on the train by my reckoning.
Rice Puddin.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

I still don't understand how on Earth diva cups work. They sound convenient, but i just don't understand them, particularly how to change them. It seems messy.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

I would like so much to be able to use my DivaCup. Less wasteful than tampons, more convenient...but I can't for the life of me make it work, and since I started back on the NuvaRing, I feel like the cup + the ring is too much stuff up there, making it even more complicated, and also my flow is so light that I only require a tampon per day or so.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I've never in my life had a regular period. Fortunately I've settled a little bit so that I know that I'm probably going to have one once a month (versus skipping months at a time). I just cope with it by carrying pads/tampons everywhere and developing an ability to get bloodstains out.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

I like my mooncup so much! It works like any cup or bowl other container that holds liquid: it holds my menstrual blood until I empty it (or it fills up). It stays in because it's flexible and larger than my vagina, and by a little bit of suction. I fold it, put it up in my vagina, move my finger around the edge to make sure it's not past my cervix and that it has opened (not still folded), then I wash my hands and move on. I don't feel the cup while it's in. I happen to bleed a whole lot all at once, my mooncup does fill up (and there are little holes near the top to make it possible to break the suction when you take it out, so if the cup fills up, it will leak out), so I always wear it with a my re-usable cloth pads. I was shopping and walking the other day, on the first day of Shark Week (when I bleed a lot), and I felt it overflow. I know, it's weird; I don't feel the cup, while I do feel it overflowing, but it's true. I went in to the nearest place with a restroom (McDonald's - I bought some fries), and emptied it. It's really not hard to use in public, since public restrooms have stalls. Just wash your hands as you come into the restroom, go to a stall, put toilet paper in the bowl, empty your cup onto the toilet paper (so the blood doesn't stay in the bowl after you flush), and wipe your hand off with more toilet paper. Then leave the stall and wash your hands. The cup works perfectly well in public restrooms, as long as you can wash your hands and flush toilet paper (true in the states at least: I haven't figured out a system for traveling in places where toilet paper does not go into the toilet).

I've never thought of NuvaRing + resuable cup, but since you take out the NuvaRing to start the bleeding, I wouldn't expect them to be in your vagina at the same time, so it shouldn't be a problem. I actually really like my mooncup when my flow is really light, because I can just ignore it for 12 hours at a time, and don't have to worry about dry tampons or throwing out un-used pads that are there just in case. It did take me a while to figure out the mooncup, though; with my cercix sometimes very low and my very heavy flow early in Shark Week, it has taken a bit of trail and error to figure it out.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Well, before when I was on the NuvaRing, I would take the ring out on Sunday, start bleeding on Thursday, and put the new ring in on Sunday, but not stop bleeding until usually Tuesday...so they would be in there at the same time. Now I'm on the NuvaRing again, but the pattern seems to have changed to taking the ring out on Sunday, start bleeding on Thursday, and be pretty much done by Saturday, so I guess it wouldn't really be an issue now.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Yeah I am tempted to try the divacup yet again. I'm just getting used to tampons though and still struggle with the "super" ones size-wise so I am worried about trying a divacup. :/

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

I really recommend giving it a go. Much like you, I get no warning before the shark start circling [so to speak], and just having one thing to remember to keep in my handbag is a whole lot better than having to always remember to keep enough supplies on me for a day. It's really worth struggling with the learning curve. I was always terrified to try tampons, and I never did. I went straight to the cup and never looked back. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:my flow is so light that I only require a tampon per day or so.
I hope you change it more often than that? Keeping it in for more than 8 hours can lead to Toxic Shock Syndrome.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't generally leave tampons in for 8 hours, but the bulk of the flow starts in the morning when I get up, and only goes until late afternoon. The rest of the time a pantyliner seems to suffice.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I really recommend giving it a go. Much like you, I get no warning before the shark start circling [so to speak], and just having one thing to remember to keep in my handbag is a whole lot better than having to always remember to keep enough supplies on me for a day. It's really worth struggling with the learning curve. I was always terrified to try tampons, and I never did. I went straight to the cup and never looked back. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Yeah. I guess I'll maybe look for one at a store. They must sell them not just online. I know that was discussed in this thread while back I'll search for it.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am UTC

They have them at my local natural foods store, and I've seen them at Whole Foods. Check for them wherever your local hippies shop, I think.
Last edited by PictureSarah on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Whole Foods carries them, and the natural foods store in Worcester carries them (I mean that as : a well-stocks natural foods store might have one in your area). If you're not interested in shopping online :p

Ninja'd by picturesarah.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:my flow is so light that I only require a tampon per day or so.
I hope you change it more often than that? Keeping it in for more than 8 hours can lead to Toxic Shock Syndrome.

As that article notes, it's astonishingly rare. My guess is that in almost all of the TSS cases linked to tampon use nowadays, there's some non-paradigm tampon use going on (ie: tampons, ur doin em rong). I think an outright recommendation against seriously overestimates the risks involved.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I've never had TSS, but I have experienced UTI-like symptoms on the occasions where I've left a tampon in for 7 or more hours. It got to the point where I've sort of unintentionally stopped using tampons completely and now rely on pads. I think it's probably just a generally good idea not to leave something absorbent stewing inside there for long periods of time.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

To the person on the last page asking about Yaz: You can do a search through this thread for "yaz" and probably get a wealth of information for people who have experience with it, but here was my experience (summarized): It was the best BC I've used yet (no PMDD, no weight gain - in fact I lost weight that I'd put on with my previous BC, extremely light, painless periods, no decrease in sex drive) with one exception: While I didn't have mood swings normally, if I drank any alcohol - even just a glass of wine or a beer, sometimes - I would have horrifically bad mood swings.

I've since switched to the NuvaRing and I just finished my first ring. A couple of things I've noticed:
-My period is starting and it's painless and light so far.
-Mood swings, even when drinking, appear to be pretty much gone.
-My sex drive is, well, I think it's decreased. More in a sec.
-No weight gain.
-I love not having to remember to take it every day!
-No breakthrough bleeding at all my first month, I love it!

Ok so about my sex drive, spoil'd for personal detail
Spoiler:
I *think* it's decreased. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have more trouble getting turned on or getting wet. However, I'm not sure if it's due to the Ring entirely - I think it might be in my head. I feel...awkward about the ring being in. I feel sort of embarrassed, and I know my boyfriend can feel it, and while he's been very reassuring that it doesn't bug him, I still feel so awkward. This makes it hard for me to focus on foreplay and sex. I don't know what my problem is, I guess I just need to get used to it, but it just seems... intrusive. Ugh. I love everything else about the NuvaRing, I just wish I could get my head in line!

The times when I've managed to forget it, it's been great... but it can be hard to work past. I don't know. >.< I know I've said this before but: RAWR! WHY CAN'T BC BE PERFECT!
milk from space is good for you!

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:01 am UTC

Most excellent, thank you. Yeah, things have been...as unintrusive this month as I think sharkweek will ever be. Hell, I even lost a few pounds. This is some cool stuff.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Spacemilk wrote:Ok so about my sex drive, spoil'd for personal detail
Spoiler:
I *think* it's decreased. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have more trouble getting turned on or getting wet. However, I'm not sure if it's due to the Ring entirely - I think it might be in my head. I feel...awkward about the ring being in. I feel sort of embarrassed, and I know my boyfriend can feel it, and while he's been very reassuring that it doesn't bug him, I still feel so awkward. This makes it hard for me to focus on foreplay and sex. I don't know what my problem is, I guess I just need to get used to it, but it just seems... intrusive. Ugh. I love everything else about the NuvaRing, I just wish I could get my head in line!

The times when I've managed to forget it, it's been great... but it can be hard to work past. I don't know. >.< I know I've said this before but: RAWR! WHY CAN'T BC BE PERFECT!

My boyfriend told me he was once with a girl who took her ring out when they had sex (and then forgot it and left it behind lol). Is it more common to leave it in during sex? I take the pill, so I'm just kinda curious, I suppose.

Pansori

Postby Pansori » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Spacemilk wrote:To the person on the last page asking about Yaz: You can do a search through this thread for "yaz" and probably get a wealth of information for people who have experience with it, but here was my experience (summarized): It was the best BC I've used yet (no PMDD, no weight gain - in fact I lost weight that I'd put on with my previous BC, extremely light, painless periods, no decrease in sex drive) with one exception: While I didn't have mood swings normally, if I drank any alcohol - even just a glass of wine or a beer, sometimes - I would have horrifically bad mood swings.

That was pretty much my experience on yaz, except I didn't really feel a decrease in sex drive, or any abnormal mood swings. I recently switched birth control pills to desogen because yaz is just too damn expensive. I have only taken it for 4 days, and it has been a nightmare. Terrible mood swings, like I can feel the horns sprouting from my head. I cried over nothing for most of yesterday... have not felt like myself at all. And I'm famished. I don't believe I was ever this hungry on yaz... I went to the clinic and told them I was miserable, but they said it is normal the first few days and to give it a month. I am hoping with school winding down and me getting to see my boyfriend in a week and a half it will help my mood, but if I see no sign of improvement I think I will be looking for a new form of birth control.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:
lanicita wrote:
As that article notes, it's astonishingly rare. My guess is that in almost all of the TSS cases linked to tampon use nowadays, there's some non-paradigm tampon use going on (ie: tampons, ur doin em rong). I think an outright recommendation against seriously overestimates the risks involved.
Yeah, I saw that. I just like PicSar and wanted to make sure she was all informed.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Spacemilk, your NuvaRing experiences sound pretty close to mine. I know my sex drive and natural lubrication go down a bit when I'm using it, but for me, they aren't decreased enough for it to be a problem. And the NuvaRing has the fewest side effects by far of any BC I've tried yet. Also, you can take the ring out to have sex. My doctor told me that as long as it's not out for more than 3 hours, it's fine.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:41 am UTC

My doc recently told me they recently revised the details on that and it's 3 hours total over your three weeks, not 3 hours at a time. Or something. So it's a little less freeing. But she also told me I shouldn't refrigerate it and I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually matter, so I'm not super sure about the former.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

Spoilered for Shark Week rantings
Spoiler:
I'm getting cramps so bad that it hurts to move. They've only ever been this bad once which was right after Shark Week started*. They haven't stopped since about halfway through my exam (wow, my uterus sure picks convenient times to start acting up) when they stopped me from being able to concentrate properly. It's making it really hard to do anything and I'm now exhausted from trying to get things done (like tidy my room and do my washing and wrap people's presents before I go home on Sunday). I even tried to take a nap because I'm so worn out but it's impossible to get comfy because every time I move from this one position (kind of half curled up on my back) I end up in a lot of pain. Ibuprofen is doing nothing for these. A bath is completely out of the question too because our landlady removed the plug from the bath. This Shark Week is determined to be extra rubbish I think.

*That time I was with a friend who thought it was hilarious that I couldn't get up at all without having to lie back down and that I was getting worked into tears over it.

Edit: fixed spelling
Last edited by Teapot on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Maybe a hot water bottle Teapot? If you can't have a bath anyway, it might help some. Ugh I really hate bad cramps, I get them from time to time. I understand exactly what you mean about the lethargy, it makes every movement slower and makes your limbs heavier.

Hope you feel better soon though.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

Oooo congrats on purpling, rin
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Thanks Jessica...it might just be a bruise..
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

We'll see in time.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Hm...think I may get my eyebrows waxed for the first time today. Anything I should know? If they turn bright red, as I expect them to, how long will that last? And do I need to tell the person specifically what I want, like with a haircut?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

It will go red. I remember mine going red for like an hour at most. I generally do it at the mall, and by the time I'm done with the mall, the redness is not really noticeable. Then again, I'm bad with noticing things about me...

You kind of have to tell them what you want. Thin, thick, arch, straight... But they'll probably recommend something.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

My skin is pretty sensitive, but after waxing it's usually only red for about an hour (though usually I just use tweezers for my eyebrows).

You do need to give them an idea of the shape you want though, as Jessica said.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

hey! So, uh... has anyone gotten their woman thread secret santa gifts? I know at least one person has... the person I sent mine to (if she wants to reveal I'll leave that to her). anyone else?

Just wondering... I know the regular thread is heating up, and I thought I'd check here..

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 am UTC

There have been shipping delays in a couple of cases, so there's no cause for panic just yet (I think). We might have to wait until the new year to figure out if everyone got their gift, international delivery being what it is...
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:51 am UTC

I might have forgotten to note on the one I sent that it was from the Woman's Thread Secret Santa and not the main one. Whoops.

Return to “General”