[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

semicharmed

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby semicharmed » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Secret santa proof. I hope someone here enjoys their gift.
Spoiler:
receipt.JPG

Yeah... I'm like that... :\

Like what? Awesome because you might have just won the WTSS? If you ordered what I think you did, at least.
And wow, between your thread here & your thread in the fora-wide Secret Santa thread, you're making the rest of us look like slackers.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

My plan is to do my shopping this weekend for the secret santa (forum wide)...I entered that one first and then realized I had no more time resources for shopping/making. I'm sorry woman thread--I wanted to participate.

:|
Rice Puddin.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

I am working on the gifts.
I'm uh...into hand making things. So it's gonna take a bit. Also, I am low on supplies. Shopping this weekend!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

It makes me look like a slacker only if you don't realize that both were online ordering sites, so it was "easy". And took no creative effort...

But :D I'm not telling about what makes me awesome. But the receipt should give some ideas ;)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

I'm in the same boat as Sungura, I need to get supplies first.
I am super-excited to send & get packages, though.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Got teh supplies. Now to get to work!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

I'm learning to knit. (Textile background: crochet, embroider, sew, stretchy loops potholder weaving :D ) I came into possession of some knitting needles, so I might as well...

I just had to tell someone. I'm strangely thrilled.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:47 am UTC

I love doing handicrafts. I can't knit, but I do quite a lot of handsewing, mostly decorating my clothes and purses.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

casiguapa wrote:I met Eve Ensler and Sandi Toksvig yesterday. They both hugged me and asked me to run for Prime Minister.

I was so happy. Then someone stole my bag with my entire life inside it (passport, keys, wallet, everything) so it kind of ruined the day.

But did I mention I met Eve Ensler and Sandi Toksvig and they were both awesome?! :D

*sigh* You can't hotlink images from your email, Rupert.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

crickets

Postby crickets » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

My only craft related skill is beading and/or knot-making for jewlery. It's really not terribly impressive, but it's very soothing and i think it's pretty.

In other news:
I am dying my hair again! Woop woop woop! I hope it works out.... *excited faces*
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Crickets: What colour?
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Spoilered because I don't want to derail ongoing discussion and because I'm going to rant.

Spoiler:
Kate Moss wrote:Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

I'm disgusted. I find this terrible. I used to be supermodel skinny, and I'm 5'6", well short of supermodel height. I was hungry all the time, and I was not healthy. Fifteen pounds later, I'm still quite thin, but I have noticeable body fat where I had absolutely nothing but bone or unprotected muscle before. I have stretch marks on my backside because I gained the weight so fast. If normal eating habits cause me to suddenly go up to a weight that I maintain with no trouble, it's pretty easy to see that there was a problem with my weight before.

You know what, Kate Moss? Food tastes pretty damn good, and so does good health. I don't find the unhealthy supermodel physique attractive. I know there are a very few girls who can be extremely thin and also healthy, but they don't look like they just came out of a concentration camp. They look healthy. Most girls and women are far healthier, and in my opinion, far more attractive, when they are curvier and huggable. Who wants to look like a straight pin at detriment to her own health? I'd much rather have stretch marks on curves created by body fat any day of the week.

I didn't even have a psychological eating disorder. It's terrible to think how many girls have been brainwashed into thinking this is an ideal to aspire to. Fuck you, Kate Moss, for saying this. Someday, I hope you have to face up to someone who lost a family member or friend because of attitudes like yours.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Response to Isotope spoilered for possible eating disorder triggers
Spoiler:
Comments like that are what made it really hard for me to see that there was a problem with my weight in the first place. Looking at photos from the time when I wasn't eating (or very rarely eating or binging and purging) I can see that I don't look healthy there. You can see the bones in my shoulders and my collar bones. I don't look right in those photos because my head is so out of proportion to my shoulders and arms (the rest of my is covered up because I was still convinced my legs were too fat to let anybody see). I'm still pretty skinny but I'm not all skin and bones now. I've gone up a size in my trousers and my clothes fit me better now. I feel so much better this way (ie, a healthy weight, and still gaining) than I ever did when I was losing weight. For me, pretty much every food I eat tastes better than skinny felt.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:Response to Isotope spoilered for possible eating disorder triggers
Spoiler:
Comments like that are what made it really hard for me to see that there was a problem with my weight in the first place. Looking at photos from the time when I wasn't eating (or very rarely eating or binging and purging) I can see that I don't look healthy there. You can see the bones in my shoulders and my collar bones. I don't look right in those photos because my head is so out of proportion to my shoulders and arms (the rest of my is covered up because I was still convinced my legs were too fat to let anybody see). I'm still pretty skinny but I'm not all skin and bones now. I've gone up a size in my trousers and my clothes fit me better now. I feel so much better this way (ie, a healthy weight, and still gaining) than I ever did when I was losing weight. For me, pretty much every food I eat tastes better than skinny felt.

*hugs*
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

I'm so happy to hear that you're healthy, Teapot. *more hugs*

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

So, possibly in the wrong thread but I felt like sharing this link with someone.

Spoilered (Contains rant about BMI, eating disorders and stuff).
Spoiler:
I've ranted about BMI before, and I will probably do so several times more before I get too tired of it.
My BMI has recently climbed over 30. Why? Because I exercise a lot. I'm getting close to being in better shape than I've ever have been before and my BMI is skyrocketing. And you know what? I don't want to lose weight. For the first time in my life I am actually not hating my body and not disguisted by all food, I haven't even been tempted to purge myself in three months (new record!) and for someone who's been dealing with bulimia since she was 13 that is a huge fucking deal.
But of course now my doctor have to tell me that I am overweight and need to exercise more. Because he is required to. Because my BMI is over 30.
WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BRILLIANT IDEA!?
What kind of douchetastic idiot decided to use this measurement for individuals? It was made to use on populations groups, in individuals it's pure concentrated bullshit. Ok, so it's "easy". Easy is not a good reason to be wrong. Horribly wrong! Even something as simple as measuring your waist line is wildly more accurate. You can measure your height for these things and that usually requires a lot longer measuring tape than your waistline would do, so why not your waistline? Why is that so horribly difficult that it's necessary to use something so incredibly inaccurate as a measurement of health instead? It especially pisses me off when BMI of such and such is used as a requirement or to judge people (Yea, I read that thread in N&A and no, I'm not responding to it to save my sanity). Which is apparently something that's getting more and more common to do.

So yea, the link above. It made me happy. I don't know why, but it did. Especially the picture with the woman dressed up as wonderwoman (page 4). It also serves to demonstrate exactly how much bullshit BMI can be in a very efficient way.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

that link is awesome!

As someone who is also over 30 BMI i'm totally with you. My weight went up 30 pounds with the addition of hormones and anti-depressants. No difference in activity or eating habits. Does that mean that I'm unhealthy? Clearly, the best thing I should do is stop the pills, as they're the cause, but I kind of need them. So fuck you.

BMI is stupid. STUPID.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

crickets

Postby crickets » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

BMI is good for determining wether or not someone is severly underweight. That is all it is good for, as muscle weighs /more/ than fat does. I knew a girl who was so muscular, she sank in water instead of floating like most people do.

Spoilered for weight-talkin'.
Spoiler:
For being severly underweight (not just underweight... emphasis on the severely), there is a point where you have to weigh a certain amount in order for your body to have the muscle, bones, and organ mass to sustain life. Some people really don't like to hear that, but yeah, there is a weight you can not drop below before your body begins to eat the things that keep you alive. That's why BMI is part of the DSM IV-TR criterion for anorexia and bulimia. The heavier you get, the more flawed the system is.

If you're really curious about wether or not you're at a safe, healthy weight, you need to have your body fat percentage calculated. As much as I am a fan of the "love your body" concept, it is still important to be healthy. If you've got a body fat percentage of 50%, you're just not going to be healthy. It's true. It maybe makes me seem like a bad person, but there's no real getting around that. I'm not skinny, not even a little. I'm at the point where i could stand to lose 30 or so pounds to be considered healthy. I'm not going to lie and say that i'm totally at my optimum size and completely healthy, because i know that i'm not. But I'm not motivated enough to go out and do something about it, and so it goes.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Spoilered because everyone else is doing it and um... well yes:
Spoiler:
I've swayed over the past 10 years from a BMI of 15.5 to a BMI of 20. I was at my best physical health when it was about 17.5 - 18. When it was 15.5, it was due to sickness or injury, and I certainly was not healthy with that - but worked to recover. When it was at 20, it was more due to sloth and laziness and sitting behind a computer screen without moving for about 20 hours a day while eating junk (and having hormonal issues). I have never had an eating disorder and never had doctors tell me to eat more - but I get strangers doing telling me to all the time. These days I am at a BMI of about 19, I have boobs and a bum now so I really don't mind - though I am sort of out of shape.

The problem with BMI and myself is that I am really tall, and have a small frame. It is not really possible for me to have a very large BMI...
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel: That link is definitely in the right thread. I hope you continue to be healthy and happy, no matter what your doctor says.

I never knew how ridiculous BMI is as an individual measurement until this thread. In my high school's required health and PE classes, we have to learn about and measure our own BMI, and nobody breathed a word of this. Stupid public school systems: I can't wait until I go to college.. I had a BMI of 18-ish when I was fifteen pounds underweight. I don't know where I am now, and I don't care.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:54 am UTC

This probably belongs in the Confessions thread, but as much as I know about how terrible a measurement BMI is, I was really happy when I lost weight and realized I was in the "healthy" range...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 am UTC

My BMI is like 24 or something? I think. I don't remember exactly. Basically: yeah I could stand to loose maybe about 15 pounds or so to be my "ideal" weight without being too skinny, but I do feel quite healthy and I don't want to be one of those girls who is "oh no, I couldn't eat that cookie, it would go right to my hips!" I want to eat the yummy cookie, so I will. I'm not saying I eat in excess (actually, I eat pretty little) I just don't want to go uber regulating myself like that, and that is prettymuch what I would have to do at this point to loose anything more. Not worth it.

Spoilered for off current topic ranty
Spoiler:
ever since stupid double shark week earlier this month, I have had spotting on two days, and every day in the afternoon/evening I get cramps that are gone by morning or after a few hours of just lying down doing nothing - not sitting - has to be lying down. Grah. I'm sick of this. I'm hoping next shark week will come as normal and then my body resets.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Ashlah: Take whatever positive strokes you can give yourself. It can be a challenge to treat ourselves well, sometimes. :wink:

Before we had BMI, we had height/weight charts. If you are X feet/inches tall, you should weigh Y pounds. (Substitute meters, cm, kilos, and/or stone as preferred.) These ideals were equally bullshit, and possibly more. A small-frame person who's 5'10" could well weigh the same as a large-frame 5'4", and both could be healthy and fit.

Really, the only measures we should use are:

1. How's your cardiovascular health? How long can you jog before you're breathing too hard? How many flights of stairs can you climb, or how long can you push yourself uphill in your wheelchair before you're ready to give up?

2. How well are your joints bearing up? Are your knees and/or hips wearing out before their time when there's no underlying condition (e.g. arthritis)? Are your feet getting so bad you might be unable to walk one day (except for non-weight-related flat feet problems)?

3. How happy are you with your weight? Does your size prevent you from doing things you wish you could, such as going on roller coaster rides? Can you realistically change your size if you are unhappy with it? (That is, is your basic frame larger than the size you wish you were? If it is, it'll be better to change your expectations than your weight.)

That's pretty much it. If you're healthy, fit, and happy, FUCK WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

/'scuse the outburst. Polite girl fail. ANGRY WOMAN WIN
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:47 am UTC

poxic wrote:/'scuse the outburst. Polite girl fail. ANGRY WOMAN WIN

This whole post was exactly right, but this was my favourite part.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 am UTC

though I do agree with your points,
poxic wrote:That's pretty much it. If you're healthy, fit, andhappy, FUCK WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

would probably be better. I know a few people who couldn't give a shit about being fit, or being a healthy weight, but they are pretty happy.

I don't know what my BMI is, even when I was at my fittest/leanest I was at the heavy end of normal, because I'm built like a rugby player (thanks dad!). I've put on a fair bit of weight since then though...
Ideally I'd like to shed some pounds and get fitter, but right now it's unlikely given the crazy amount of work I have to do to get my PhD finished by May, eating right and doing excersise fall pretty low on my priorities list.
Do some work
Do more work
Don't get ill
Do more work
Eat food
Do more work
Eat healthy food
Do more work
Excersise

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

crowey wrote:though I do agree with your points,
poxic wrote:That's pretty much it. If you're healthy, fit, andhappy, FUCK WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

would probably be better. I know a few people who couldn't give a shit about being fit, or being a healthy weight, but they are pretty happy.

I don't know what my BMI is, even when I was at my fittest/leanest I was at the heavy end of normal, because I'm built like a rugby player (thanks dad!). I've put on a fair bit of weight since then though...
Ideally I'd like to shed some pounds and get fitter, but right now it's unlikely given the crazy amount of work I have to do to get my PhD finished by May, eating right and doing excersise fall pretty low on my priorities list.
Do some work
Do more work
Don't get ill
Do more work
Eat food
Do more work
Eat healthy food
Do more work
Excersise
Yes, totally this. Good luck on your defense!! Grah I'm starting to feel the pressure and for me it's not this may but the may after it would be nice to be done (although technically I have 'til Aug 2012 when my stipend runs out...) I like to get in and get things done though. Crappy thing about animal research is experiments take sooooo long! Order Thursday. Rats come in on Monday. There is a 48 hour acclimation period, so I can't touch them until Wednesday. Wednesday I can do baseline behavior tests, and then Thurs/Fri do surgeries. Then it varies between a week or two weeks to let allodynia develop, and so by the time then those get dissected and I run samples it easily takes a month for each experiment. Once I get going more I think I might try doing two experiments at once - staggered by the 2 weeks.

Actually, any ideas for quick healthy lunches? Here is my day of eating:
Breakfast: Bowl of cereal
Lunch: Granola bar, maybe apple or something too if I remember to grab it
Dinner: Whatever meal was made for the day that by then I'm so tired I barely pick at.
:/
I'm told I eat unhealthy because I don't eat enough. I never *feel* hungry though. I do eat on the rare occasions I *feel* hungry. But other than that it's like, "oh yeah, I'm supposed to eat, so I should."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

Oddly I'm not too worried about my defence, I think it's different in the UK to the US though. I'll have 2 examiners, one from my department, and one who works in my field from a different university. In theory the person from my department isn't supposed to ask me questions, but to help me out by making sure the external person isn't being an arse. On average it's 3 hours, and everyone I've asked says it's more like a chat about your work than a real exam...
The wonderful thing about working in a field where there are only a handful of people is that I'm collaborating with all the potential external examiners, so it's in their interests not to screw me over :lol:
maybe I'm just not worried about it because it's still a fair distance off, I'm sure that colser to the time I'll be unable to sleep.

Healthy lunches? hmmm. I go for japenese-ish bento stuff. Onigri are good for complex carbohydrates if you can get your hands on some sushi rice, they freeze well too, so I make a batch to last the week then clingfilm and freeze. then fresh veggies/salady stuff and some fish (tuna, smoked salmon and smoked mackerel are my favourites) or a hard boiled egg (especcialy done in a mold: clicky).
failing that, sandwiches with granary bread and a decent combo of protein and salad.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Bento are a great idea, but can be quite time consuming. I do have several of those egg molds though--lots of fun.

Some food tips:

Usually early in the week I'll boil some eggs--fantastic quick protein that is very good for you. You could eat one with your cereal to round out that meal (and add a fruit to the cereal for a full breakfast). The bigger the breakfast the better really.

I usually bring leftovers for lunch--I pack them up at dinner time the previous day so there's no hassle in the morning. If you have access to a microwave this is the ideal sort of lunch. Today I have leftover chili and rice and some veggies.

Alternatively--since you aren't hungry at dinner time anyway, pack up your dinner to be lunch the next day.
Rice Puddin.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Haven't been around because these fora are just too busy for my tastes, but the woman thread was the first place that came to mind for advice.

Apparently, my flow (approx. 250 mL on the third day of Shark Week) is three times heavier than the upper limit of normal (10-80 mL.) I don't think I have especially bad cramps or other symptoms especially indicative of endometriosis or uterine fibroids. Should I just ask my doctor about it, or what?
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 am UTC

I recently realised that my weight fluctuations were.. kind of huge. The bit that surprised me: I'd put on half my body weight from my low-point. I was ~65kg, back up to the 90's now. I'm annoyed with my current weight, it makes it so much harder to find clothing on top of having an unusual body shape.

But I can see why my mother was worried when I was edging in on society's opinion of a healthy weight. It was still 'overweight', but a drastic change.
Spoiler:
A portion of the weight loss was due to depression. I wasn't eating much, and feeling ill after a small amount of food.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
Approximately one year ago, I had emergency surgery to correct my torsed ovary. Since that time, I have started eating enough food to keep me alive, stopped losing weight, gained fifteen pounds, reached a healthy weight for the first time since middle school, gone on and off hormonal birth control pills, suffered and recovered from suicidal depression, and am now finally pretty much happy and healthy.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:44 am UTC

I like this thread. I am very petite and had a HIGH metabolism when I was in elementary and high school. I could eat anything I wanted and never gain a pound. In fact the only thing that changed this was medication that caused weight gain. I despise the body image projected for women these days. I get more compliments being over my ideal weight than I ever did being under it.

Also, DivaCups? I think I want one.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Yes you do want one. I tried one based on the reviews from this thread--and they were great reviews. :D
Rice Puddin.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Ooo.. where's my credit card?

Am I the only one who is totally awful at taking birth control at the exact same time every day? I finally set an alarm on my phone for it, or I would miss several days at a time sometimes. Have Shark Week for the whole month. :(

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:29 am UTC

I actually find it really easy to remember to take my pill, but I feel like I'm in the minority a lot of the time, haha. It's the only pill I've ever been good at taking. Anything bigger, and I find it to be enough of an annoyance to skip it all the time.

Is this a good thread to complain about acne? Because I'm feeling really gross and self-conscious about my skin right now... (spoilered because it got longer than I expected)
Spoiler:
I've tried so many different things, starting in middle school. Nothing worked until birth control because I apparently have PCOS. That worked like magic, and my skin was completely clear. But last year, my acne came back, so it's back to square one. Most recently, my gynecologist prescribed Retin-A. Has anyone else used this? My boyfriend claims it was one of the first things that worked for him. But I've been using it for a few weeks, and my face is worse than ever. In certain places, it's either really dry or really oily, and it's so red. It's not the burning irritation redness because I only use a little bit. Just regular acne redness. And, probably the part making me the most self-conscious, it seems like every time I come home from work or school or anywhere with anyone, I look in the mirror and realize I've been walking around with a bunch of nasty whiteheads sticking out. I feel so disgusting after that. When my boyfriend stays over or I stay over at his place, I wake up in the morning trying to figure out what my face looks like before he can see me. Then when I finally get a chance to look in the mirror, I'm really embarrassed, even though he, of course, never says anything. I don't wear makeup, either, which is something I would feel like I could be proud to talk to people about if my skin was clear, but instead, I feel ashamed. If the topic of makeup comes up, I always make sure to throw in "I know I should, but..." so they know I'm not deluded about my own attractiveness, I guess. I don't know.

Sigh. I'm just tired of it.

According to the internets, a lot of people experience worsening of acne on Retin-A before it gets better. I'm trying to keep that in mind, and maintain hope that it'll work for me. But it's hard.

Feels good just to rant sometimes :)

EDIT: Oh perfect, now they're showing the episode of Family Guy about Chris' giant zit.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Ashlah, I really hope the new treatment helps. I know you probably get sick of hearing this: but although you feel horribly embarassed I bet your boyfriend doesn't see acne when he looks at you, he just sees Ashlah. Even without acne, finding what works for your skin is hard, hopefully you'll sort it out and you won't have to feel anxious about it anymore.
Rice Puddin.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:18 am UTC

I had pretty bad acne from late elementary school, to about a year past high school. It took me that long to find something to work. This is just a suggestion but has anyone ever tried @mosphere tea tree oil face wash? It's the ONLY thing I've ever used that didn't make me break out constantly. In combination with Alesse.

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Cammy wrote:I had pretty bad acne from late elementary school, to about a year past high school. It took me that long to find something to work. This is just a suggestion but has anyone ever tried @mosphere tea tree oil face wash? It's the ONLY thing I've ever used that didn't make me break out constantly. In combination with Alesse.

I've given up on the whole "miraculous" pastes. Lately I've just been drinking a lot of green tea and it's really gone down. Plus it's tasty :D
Trying is the first step towards failure

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

So as I went out for craft stuff shopping yesterday, I got side tracked by fashion yet again. I tried on these three dresses and i'm thinking of going back and buying one for the office Christmas party. Which one do you gyals like?

Spoiler:
28112009283.jpg
28112009283.jpg (303.07 KiB) Viewed 4348 times

28112009288.jpg
28112009288.jpg (404.16 KiB) Viewed 4349 times

28112009289.jpg
28112009289.jpg (345.15 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
i dare you to take me on...

acb

Postby acb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

They are all fantastic, I like the bottom two best though! The shape of the last one looks best on you in my opinion - although the one with the yellow flowers is pretty fab I'm not 100% sure about the sleeves.

Your dress sense is great by the way.

Return to “General”