[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Artemisia

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

I'm with you on that one ST. I remember reading one of those gossip mags too and see a picture of a celeb with a hint of forearm hair with some tasteless comment underneath. Well that and my friend made me wonder if women actually shave that. But I'm happy to read they don't ^^
This too shall pass

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Yeah, my friend has really dark hair on her forearms, whereas mine is really blonde. She was pretty self conscious about her arm hair. Then I suggested cream bleach, cause my mother uses it on her upper lip and it seems to work really well. Her arm hair is now a really light brown. It's not noticeable unless you're touching it or looking really close. Shaving/waxing is a bad idea cause, as mentioned, nobody wants arm stubble.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

body hair and i do not get along. leg hair i can deal with since i wear jeans all the time, but if i know someone is going to see my legs i have to get rid of it. armpit hair is gross and disgusting and stinky and ugly and needs to die. i'm starting up on waxing down below in hopes that i can eventually do enough follicle damage to prevent it from growing back, ever.
as for arm hair, i've considered waxing it because it's a bit dark but since i don't know what i'm doing i figure i'm better off just leaving it alone.
ImageImage

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

That's pretty much my take on it. Also, I was told specifically never shave arm hair.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

yeah, my theory is i'd rather have normal dark arm hair than freakish dark stubble
ImageImage

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

On the other hand, I had a friend at camp who had shaved her arm hair the year before we met, and it *still* hadn't grown back.

It almost made me want to try it, since my arm hair is darkish and thickish, but I'm glad I didn't.
I shall investigate this cream bleach, though.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

how can you be sure she's not just maintaining it well? I find it very hard to believe a one-time shave made the hair disappear forever.
This too shall pass

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Is it wrong for me to say that bassoons are better than oboes?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

I've actually known a couple of guys who've shaved their arms, but a good portion of them did it for high school wrestling where the stubble would be advantageous.
As a dude, though, I really don't think a bit of forearm hair is a big deal. Or light lip hair. It's more important that life is that much easier and devoid of societal pressures.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Am I stupid for asking what Aluminus' comment has to do with anything in the Woman Thread?

considering I read the whole 232 pages, I think I'm fairly safe asking.
This too shall pass

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

In hindsight, it was not such a great idear.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Is it wrong for me to say that bassoons are better than oboes?

If you have decided that you are a bassoon lover, I will politely but firmly point towards the exit. We don't need that kind of person here.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Shaving forearms is probably not okay - my ex used to do that, and the stubble was quite odd feeling. But sometimes I do break out the beard trimmer when I get bored for a quick couple swipes. My hair there grows out awfully fast, and if it gets too long it just gets all caught up with long sleeved shirts / makes me look extra fuzzy when I'm cold. I've never met anyone else that has had to do this, though.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

I know I saw a lot of Nair hate a couple of pages back, but I usually Nair my arms. Being cursed with hairy Indian-ness, I had pretty bushy hair on my arms. It only takes like 3 minutes on there, and then you rinse it off with a washcloth in the shower. It's also pretty inexpensive. It's kind of annoying when it's short and growing back, but not to the extreme of shaved stubble. I've also noticed that it's been grown back sparser than it has before, which is a definite bonus. I may have been guilty of shaving my forearms once when it was some special occasion and I didn't have time to Nair. Since I don't regularly shave them, it was pretty smooth for a couple of days, and then I just naired them again to avoid stubble.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:Am I stupid for asking what Aluminus' comment has to do with anything in the Woman Thread?

No, you're not stupid. It comes from the fact that Ren is an oboe player and does http://www.oboe-comics.com/, but I don't think that was ever mentioned in the Woman Thread. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

thanks for explaining :)

still a kinda weird remark, imho.
This too shall pass

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
Aluminus wrote:Is it wrong for me to say that bassoons are better than oboes?

If you have decided that you are a bassoon lover, I will politely but firmly point towards the exit. We don't need that kind of person here.

BLASPHEMY! I will hunt you down and beat you with my instrument. Which is, incidentally, a bassoon so it makes a pretty damn good whacking stick.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Shaving the forearms sounds like a pretty bad idea - I'm always touching my arms (but never really touch my calves) so I think the stubble would bother me massively. Also regrowth would be so much more obvious than on the legs. I can see nair would be better (as long as it doesn't burn your skin off), but my arms aren't hairy so it hadn't occurred to me. Weirdly, thick blond arm hair on a girl seems slightly more attractive to me than thick black hair would...hmmm. I guess that's why bleach gets sold. Although I did know a girl with a really thick moustache which she bleached, but if anything it made it more obvious - it was like a nimbus for her lips in the sunshine. A nimbed lip. (I think nimbed is an underused word).

The only body hair I unambiguously think should be got rib of is underarm...sometimes I accidentally brush against my boyfriend's copious arm wig and it's soaked with sweat and...*barf*

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

I've always been intrigued by guys' armpit hair....hairy man-legs, though, just make me giggle.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

I don't particulary mind the look of hairy armpits on men, but I agree the sweat and smell of them makes it eeew. I'd never ask my SO to shave it off for that reason tho.

On women I do think it looks terrible. Stubbled armpits I can relate to, as you don't have to shave *everyday* imo, but it's a matter of 3 minutes of razor-time to shave them, so once a week is little effort and looks clean, and you can wear a tshirt with really short sleeves without having to worry there are hairs sticking out. I sometimes don't bother about legs or lady parts, but I *always* shave my armpits, even during winter.
This too shall pass

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

Hi and welcome, Artemisia! I haven't been around much at all lately, I'm trying to get myself caught up. >_< Bonus points to you for reading the thread from beginning to end, I have a tough enough time when I've missed three days worth of posts.

I actually do shave my forearms, but I'm in the midst of laser hair removal treatments for everything below the eyes and I have to shave it to get it zapped. The regrowth period is a little annoying, but hopefully it'll be over within one or two more treatments. I have massively fast regrowth in certain areas, so I'm very much looking forward to not having to worry about it anymore. The laser treatment will essentially be paying itself off in unused shaving cream and razors over a surprisingly short amount of time, all things considered. It's definitely one of the better investments I've made.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:I've always been intrigued by guys' armpit hair....hairy man-legs, though, just make me giggle.

Hairy man legs are a good way to get men to behave, not that I would ever pull someones leg hair...unless they're one of my cousins or something. <.< >.>

My guy doesn't care what my body hair is like, every time I complain about needing to shave my legs he's like "but I don't mind!" I get that, but I really like having nice smooth legs...and socks are irritating with unshaved ankles...

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Ha! I pull on the hair part of hairy man parts to get my way all the time! It's even better than a purple nurple. Sometimes when the boy and I shower together (this is pretty much whenever I visit - there's something so cute and domestic about showering together) I will take my razor when I'm shaving and ninja some of his leg hair off. It really pisses him off, and of course I think it's hilarious.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

Thanks Kineticka & everyone for the more than warm welcome :)

Word argyl3, I actually do the same and I find it equally hilarious, especially because he gets annoyed :D
Also: shower sex :Y)

now i think i should be off to bed ^^
This too shall pass

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Also (I am forgetful when I write, and I spent most of the day catching up on the confessional thread because I hate myself): I usually trim the ol' pit hair because it is unsightly if too lengthy, and I don't like to stink. Most of my body hair kind of bugs me, though, but my Girl doesn't mind so I don't worry too much about things.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:19 am UTC

I don't shave my arms, though I do shave wherever else hair grows on me. Lately I've been taking to epliatiing it, which seems to work rather well on me. :)
I'm just not a fan of hair really.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I think about epiliating mine occasionally, because I have a hell of a lot of arm hair, but on the other hand it's light blonde so it's never been a really noticable thing for anyone but me. Also, I have a lot of freckles and scars on my arms (I scar really easily and I'm allergic to the metals they use in a lot of cheap jewellery so I have many scars from finding out the hard way what I could or could not wear when I was younger) and I think the hair obscures those somewhat. It's something to think about, though. I definitely would not like the stubbly feeling, but I guess you don't really get that with waxing or epilating.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:16 am UTC

i rarely shave my thighs because the hair is so fine and blond anyway... it's more hassle than it's worth! i do, however, shave my legs, lady parts and underarms. no forearms, though. again, it's pretty light hair. i've never even thought about shaving my arms, actually.

i had a friend in high school (male) who was a competitive swimmer (Olympic trials and all that) and he shaved/waxed his whole body. i remember thinking how weird arm stubble was!

on another girlie note: girl week just started and brought the full complement of cramps and cravings... :P the hormones are hitting me kinda hard this month!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Teenager, i feel for you.

(i think?)
*waggles eyebrows*

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:43 am UTC

hermaj wrote:epilating.

*wikis*

OW?! O_O

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 am UTC

My girlfriend thinks it hurts, I guess that I used to be a wee bit of a masochist... hence it never bothered me much.

Oh and for the record, I don't epilate my arms. The hair on them is quite girly enough to be fine for my standards. Rather I epilate my legs from time to time (and am slowly working on covering the other areas).
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 am UTC

To all the people who epiliate, how painful would you rate it? Is it akin to super fast eyebrow pluckin'? I've also heard it's notoriously bad for ingrown hairs when your hair is growing back. Is this true?

I just shave at the moment, stealing my boyfriends shaving cream, but i always consider other options. I'd wax, but my legs are too damn long for that shiznit.
i dare you to take me on...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 am UTC

By epilating, do you mean inserting a fine needle along the hair shaft and sending an electrical current to kill the folicle? HURTS LIKE HELL NO WAY AM I DOING THAT SH*T AGAIN.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:28 am UTC

I think that is considered under epilation (Thanks, Wikipedia). I've considered that option...but you've scared me about doing it now, Moo.

I was going along more of the lines of this kinda thang though.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:36 am UTC

I've been too afraid to use our epilator myself, to be honest. I should have a go in a month or two when my leg hair is longish again. My mother rates the pain from the epilator as tolerable, but my mother has also gone through childbirth. :P From what my family has told me, it's not the most pleasant thing but after a few goes it gets better.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Oh those (sorry if I scared you tin!). Never used but I can't imagine it being more painful than waxing. So I'll talk about that, since I know about that. I found waxing an area for the first time to be quite uncomfortable, comparable to... uhm... grazing your skin when you fall on tarmac? However the pain lessens with use and now I would call the feeling I get when waxing even the most sensitive (but frequently waxed) areas a mild discomfort.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:16 am UTC

S'alright, Moo :) I think 'needle + hairshaft + electric current = owie!' malarky looks a tad expensive for my budget anyway.

I really wish i had the patience for waxing large areas. But it just seems so messy and i'm a bit hairy. And time consuming. How long on average does it take you to wax?

hermaj wrote:My mother rates the pain from the epilator as tolerable, but my mother has also gone through childbirth. :P

This is EXACTLY what I use as a gauge too, whem my mum mentions something isn't "all that bad", pain-wise. That means it's going to cause 1000 owies, woman.

RIGHT!
I think this is a bit of a longshot, but are there any ladies with afro-carribean/african hair out there? Most importantly, natural, not relaxed hair. I'm going through hair transitioning at the moment, and it's a bitch. Hybrid hair is hard to work with, but I think I only have a few months to go 'till I can rock my uber curly, natural hair afro...thing.

My question is, do you have any reccomendations for natural hair products for super, insanely curly hair? And i mean, completely natural shampoos, conditioners etc. Actually, this can go out to everyone really, as when I become 100% natural, i'll no longer be using abarasive hair products aimed at black hair. At the moment, it's an eternal search amongst products with names like Mixed Chicks and Blended Beauty. Ugh.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am UTC

I thinkwikipedia's picture scared me away from it, at least... :P
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 am UTC

tin, I'm afraid I have no wisdom for Afro/Carribean hair but I support your going natural. I know it's nowhere NEAR the same thing but I'm a white chick with naturally curly hair and I spent 25 years fighting it. Now I wear it curly and it's so much easier and so much more me, and so much healthier since I don't use heat styling and galons of product.

People do piss me off - like the other day I (heat) straightened it for a bit of a change when we went to a friend's house, who's a fancy hairdresser, and he was like "you should wear your hair like that all the time" and similar for a while before I stopped talking to him, despite my objections that that is not who I want to be. I'm really fucking sorry if who I am naturally doesn't appeal to you but life is too short for 30-60 minutes of styling every morning and always worrying if it's raining or I go to the gym about how it's going to look after all that moisture.

The one thing I will say is that your linked article mentions braiding and cornrows - if you plan to go this way make very sure you are aware of the effects that the long-term wearing of those kinds of tight styles that pulls at the hair, has on your follicles and overall hair health. There was a big discussion on BBC London Radio (which I listen to on the way to work for the travel updates) the other day. Here's the wikipedia article on traction alopecia although it is brief and not particularly helpful imo.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

Thanks for the support :). And I mean seriously, thankyou! My mum, my sister, my freakin' hairdresser do not understand why I want to go natural. Relaxers are the norm and I should follow it blindly, apparently. I'm having to constantly drive the idea home that slathering my hair in pretty toxic chemicals is strangely, not for me. It's damaged my hair, it doesn't look healthy (unless I have a team of Beyonce's stylists following me around 24/7) and more importantly, IT'S WHAT I WANT. I mean, shit, I haven't seen my natural hair properly since I was about 7.

Moo wrote:People do piss me off - like the other day I (heat) straightened it for a bit of a change when we went to a friend's house, who's a fancy hairdresser, and he was like "you should wear your hair like that all the time" and similar for a while before I stopped talking to him, despite my objections that that is not who I want to be. I'm really fucking sorry if who I am naturally doesn't appeal to you but life is too short for 30-60 minutes of styling every morning and always worrying if it's raining or I go to the gym about how it's going to look after all that moisture.

Moo, i feel your pain. Why is it so hard for people to understand your personal preference? I always expect hairdressers (who surely are meant to have an understanding and acceptance of different hair types) to understand this, but evidently this is not the case. I imagine to just sell more products/services... Anyhoo, I applaude your choice to not fight your curls, (even if your hair type is very different to mine) and it's essentially the same reason i'm making my chioce. Also, curls are hawt. I'm not a high maintenance hair lass myself. I'd rather be out having fun, then spending hours preparing hair for fun. Bring on those unruly curls.

Return to “General”