[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Sungura » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

I had good luck with getting my Mirena IUD at the local PP. If you search me in this thread I know I wrote an account of it. And it DID help a lot - for the first 2 years. Now I'm back to square 1 even with a new Mirena, but now the pamprin and such and all that doesn't help! Grrr.

I'm not sure why they work better, I do wonder if the diuretic and caffine in it makes the difference.

For me, the pain is directly related and proportional to the amount of bleeding so BC helps a lot - if it works - which it doesn't anymore (In fact I was given a perscription for something that ALWAYS stops it at a high dose. And it bumped me down to the "running pretty hard" in the following list, but that's all, and that's NOT acceptable level. It was suposed to stop me outright. They couldn't perscribe more or a higher dose without compromising my cardiovascular system!). Bit o leak? Few or No cramps at all. (Rare). Running pretty hard (for me a medium rate, for most people from what I can gather, fucking fast) is quite painful to the point of can't really ignore it very well. (normal.). A fucking ocean coming out? (eg changing stuff every hour or so) = bedridden/passing out/people wanting to take me to the ER but the ER doesn't help so I'd rather be left in my own bed. (happens almost every cycle, varying amount of days from 1 day to 1 week long).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:A fucking ocean coming out? (eg changing stuff every hour or so) = bedridden/passing out/people wanting to take me to the ER but the ER doesn't help so I'd rather be left in my own bed. (happens almost every cycle, varying amount of days from 1 day to 1 week long).

Have you ever had any kind of gynecological work up done? Heavy bleeding that doesn't resolve with usual methods can be a symptom of something more serious; PCOS, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis. I know you don't have too much of a history going to the the lady-doc on a regular basis pre-Mirena, but have you been to any since that have mentioned any of these things as a possibility?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:I'll be looking into the heat releasing patches, methinks. I wish my job was more of a sit-down thing, but I work in a lab/stockroom and there really isn't much I can do that's "sit down" to be able to tuck a water bottle or something like that in my trousers.

Sungura- what makes Pamprin or Midol work better for you than ibuprofen or naproxen alone? Is it because there's more than one painkiller in them?
I'm with you on the ridiculously painful cramps. the last couple of months I've spent days in bed during shark week because I've been in so much pain, and in June I went to the ER because they were so horrid.

I'm wondering if I could go to the local planned parenthood and talk to them about birth control (or an IUD) in hopes of easing the cramping.

Double post for not catching different things on different pages. Sungura's probably right about the diuretic and caffeine making things better than just painkillers; sometimes it's the bloating and the headaches in combination with the cramps that renders me so miserable and the multi-symptom meds like that really help out. If you don't want to go out and buy midol or pamprin, you can always take your painkiller of choice with some tea or coffee to have the same sort of effect.

Also, the heat releasing patches are normally very thin and can be easily hidden under practically the clingiest of clothes.

Also re: hair removal. I usually wax occasionally and will maintain between waxes with tweezing. If I could, I would probably just get it lasered away - I had this done for my upper lip which was the worst area for me. It didn't hurt too much, kind of like someone snapping a thick rubberband onto you.

Also re: Birth control. Getting on birth control also helped with "stress" symptoms of mine, acne, cramps, it reduced my flow, and I think I was even less hairy on oral bc. The Mirena did similar things, although not as much help with the hairy thing, unless I just got to the age where those hormones went kind of crazy and I got even more hair all over my face around age 23-24 (I would not be surprised at this state of affairs, curse my hairy Indian genes).

I made this thing:

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Shro wrote:
Sungura wrote:A fucking ocean coming out? (eg changing stuff every hour or so) = bedridden/passing out/people wanting to take me to the ER but the ER doesn't help so I'd rather be left in my own bed. (happens almost every cycle, varying amount of days from 1 day to 1 week long).

Have you ever had any kind of gynecological work up done? Heavy bleeding that doesn't resolve with usual methods can be a symptom of something more serious; PCOS, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis. I know you don't have too much of a history going to the the lady-doc on a regular basis pre-Mirena, but have you been to any since that have mentioned any of these things as a possibility?

Yes all hormone blood tests, smears, and ultrasounds come back normal and that's all they do. They stamp "normal" on my paperwork and send me on my way, irregardless of my symptoms.

The women in my family have a histroy of endometriosis and uterine cancer. have not yet found a gyno that this raises red flags though, because you know, tests come back normal.

I've gone through 3 gynos same damn tests at each - and actually am now locked out from anything at the local hospital because I complained with the way I was treated and was sent a letter that no one at that women & childrens section of the hospital would service me ever again.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:06 am UTC

That sucks, Sungura. :(
I wish I could delay Shark Week for this month, but I won't have birth control until September and it's due in three days. Anyone have safe home remedies for period delayal?

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Sungura?
I am so sorry the hospital sent you that letter.
Yes. As the poster above me wrote, "That Sucks."

Bleeding? Poor Baby.
Painful menses is common and it IS considered normal.

It may be Normal, BUT! Hey! Normal? What is normal?
This is the 21st Century! You were treated in a way that caused you to complain? In a Hospital? Horrors! I am so sorry.

Of course, you put your feet in the stirrups.
Nothing?

TLC=Tender Loving Care. At a hosipital you should get TLC.
Hey! You are bleeding! That is serious, even if it is normal.

I know loads of people, mostly women, talk like it is Nothing.
It is not a big deal for some people. It seems to be a big deal to you.

*Hugs* from an internet stranger. That letter was a mean thing to do.
I am sorry that happened to you. Getting fired from a Hospital seems like a big deal to me.

Endometriosis has a well deserved bad reputation. I hope that has nothing to do with you.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Ughhh it all started again. Thought maybe my iud kickced in finally because I was a few days late. Sore/crampy and a bit crabby I was but no blood. Nope. Why would I get off easy for once!??! At least I have an OBGYN appointment later this week with yet ANOTHER new doc. A male though -- he was recommended as being great for diagnosis of weird shit and being quite progressive in treatment. Very mixed feelings. Do NOT want some strange male lookin' down there. Terrified, in fact. But seems like if anyone around here can help, it'd be him and his reviews on various MD sites seem to concur. My SO is going to take a long lunch and come with me...that should help mitigate the terror part.

In happier news - this etsy shop is awesome and makes awesome clothes https://www.etsy.com/shop/nicandthenewfie and they have tshirts that fit me and I like. Also, yay support independent artists! And they do custom stuff too (like, if you want something on different color tshirt, or mix/match designs - eg I just got a moon rising over trees, they have moon shirt and birds flying over trees, so just mixnmatching). And so helpful on sizing and the material is Oh me yarm awesome. Cotton/poly mix that is sooo soft and relativly quickdry (important to me!) and it drapes so nicely - not clingy but kinda hugs curves so not a blah tshirt shape! And long enough to go over my boobs without being so short if I move my arms my belly shows! lol.

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 am UTC

Sungura wrote:
Spoiler:
Ughhh it all started again. Thought maybe my iud kickced in finally because I was a few days late. Sore/crampy and a bit crabby I was but no blood. Nope. Why would I get off easy for once!??! At least I have an OBGYN appointment later this week with yet ANOTHER new doc. A male though -- he was recommended as being great for diagnosis of weird shit and being quite progressive in treatment. Very mixed feelings. Do NOT want some strange male lookin' down there. Terrified, in fact. But seems like if anyone around here can help, it'd be him and his reviews on various MD sites seem to concur. My SO is going to take a long lunch and come with me...that should help mitigate the terror part.

Spoiler:
Sorry you had to get a male OBGYN when you didn't want one. =/ I have a male doctor for kidney problems, so he has to look "down there," which I was never comfortable with. The only thing that helps (a teeny tiny bit) is remembering that it's his job, and he's seen a zillion people naked--it's not a big deal to him and shouldn't be a big deal to me.

Very nice of your SO to go to the appointment with you! :]

edit: Also, I was having problems with ingrown hairs in my armpit a few weeks ago. Posters here told me to shave with conditioner, moisturize and exfoliate. I did all that, and haven't had an ingrown hair since. Anyone else with that problem should totally follow their advice. :]

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Does anyone here get cramps/lower back pain when they're not on their periods? I'm having a lot of both and I'm not due to start for another week or two. I have however been under buckets of stress.

Ideas?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Many people cramp up when they're ovulating, which is generally twoish weeks between periods. Could that be something?
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

So my best friend is a massage therapist. She comes over to give me a massage yesterday, but she forgets her oil. She says, "It's fine, we can just use olive oil." Long story short, she ends up putting olive oil in my hair, and let me tell, it feels FANTASTICO. I think I happened upon something I can do pretty easily.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Why do you like the olive oil in your hair? Really good conditioning without grease? Details! This sounds easy and my hair is always a frize....some Lush products are pretty helpful but nothing seems to "perminant fix".

Oceanfront Update
Spoiler:
This one listens! And says stuff honestly! And gives me options! I have 3 choices, one of the permanent options recommended. Fuck yea! Oh yeah, also I am apparently one of those weird "no apparent medical cause because we don't understand enough" category people. No cysts, fibroids, masses, pcos, anything. Just shitty bleeding for whatever damn reason!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Oceanfront Update
Spoiler:
This one listens! And says stuff honestly! And gives me options! I have 3 choices, one of the permanent options recommended. Fuck yea! Oh yeah, also I am apparently one of those weird "no apparent medical cause because we don't understand enough" category people. No cysts, fibroids, masses, pcos, anything. Just shitty bleeding for whatever damn reason!
Yay listening! Yay options!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:37 am UTC

I washed my hair and for once didn't put anything on it immediately, so it was at its worst: fluffy, frizzy, undefined. I put the olive oil on and put my hair up and wrapped overnight, and when I woke up it was soft and relatively sleek. It wasn't perfect, but it works much better than the expensive overnight conditioner I usually use.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 am UTC

On a related note, I read once that cheap vegetable oil is just about the best hand moisturizer. Wash hands, squirt on some oil and rub around, then rinse lightly and pat dry.

I've tried it. It's not bad, though if your hands aren't dry it's overkill.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 am UTC

I've been using coconut oil for all my hair defrizzing/hand moisturizing/lip glossing/delicious baking needs. I've been really happy with it so far. It gives the baked goods a different kind of taste, and if I get it all over my hands while cooking, I just figure out what body part needs moisturizing at the moment.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:03 am UTC

So I'm having a sleep study done in a couple of weeks, and as part of the instructions for preparation, there is this:

Sleep Study Instructions wrote:
  • Please bathe or shower and shampoo your hair before arriving for the test.
  • Do not use hair conditioners, cremes, oils, or dressings on your hair.

....this is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I wonder if any of the people who came up with these instructions have waist-length hair.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:20 am UTC

Yikes. According to the internet, you can use aloe vera gel as a detangler, or the gel that comes from cooked flax seeds, or watered-down (by a lot) apple cider vinegar.

Not sure I'd trust the last one -- it wouldn't hurt your hair at all and might even get rid of dandruff, but detangle? I'd be interested to know if it would work.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:35 am UTC

poxic wrote:Yikes. According to the internet, you can use aloe vera gel as a detangler, or the gel that comes from cooked flax seeds, or watered-down (by a lot) apple cider vinegar.

Not sure I'd trust the last one -- it wouldn't hurt your hair at all and might even get rid of dandruff, but detangle? I'd be interested to know if it would work.
I use watered-down apple cider vinegar instead of conditioner. I always wash it out though - not sure if it would get really greasy otherwise.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Article found on Twitter: The Rise of the Period Apps
Thought this might be of interest to some of you?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Fuckity fuck fuck
Spoiler:
So now that I finally have a obgyn willing to do whatever to stop bleeding, I find out I can't afford it. Because even though I thought I knew what my insurance coverage is, apparently, it isn't, and I still have a $1500 deductable to meet plus bunches of fees for whatever option I choose - and this is all before even known what the procedure code is from the doc office so it ignores any and all extra costs of /that/. No matter what way it's sliced, I can't afford it. I wanted to sell my car and use the money to buy a different one. Maybe if I can sell my car and go car-less for a while I can afford it but that's not very logistical for me, and I have not the income to be able to get a new car in the future at this time.

Here's to a crappy existence until menopause.

:(

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

That sucks. I hope you're able to work out a solution.

Unsolicited advice
Spoiler:
Maybe start a fundraiser for yourself?
Googling also shows some options for financing medical procedures. I'm not sure if that's a good idea for your life situation, but maybe something to consider. At $2500 for the procedure one calculator I used showed the following price points

Code: Select all

24 Month EPP   $122   $2,907
36 Month EPP   $87   $3,116
48 Month EPP   $70   $3,334
60 Month EPP   $60   $3,561

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I hate loans because as you see, end up paying LOTS more!

Fundraiser is a good idea...I just posted my car around trying to sell it to afford it. Fundraising might be a bit smarter. I just couldn't think of anything to offer. People don't buy my photography normally, what makes this any different?

Really I need my car, like NEED it. I don't live in an area with public transport. But I don't own anything else of value.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Not sure if this is an option for you, not knowing your income or credit history, but I just opened a new credit card with 21 months 0% APR to have some orthodontic work done. Lets me finance it without paying a buttload of interest. Good luck, I really hope you can make something work. You deserve better.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

And it may be worth trying to get in contact with the insurance company again. You might be able to appeal, or you might have gotten wrong information if you only spoke to one person. Sometimes they'll be uninformed, or mishear you, or be telling you no and hoping you'll shut up and go away and they won't have to give you what they're obligated to.

I hate loans too, but paying even 1.5x as much for this surgery over time sounds to me like it would affect your quality of life more than drastically enough to be worth it. Explore all your other options first, but I don't think you should completely take it off the table. Last resort, sure, but a resort. But that's just my opinion, you should do what you think is right.

Sungura wrote: People don't buy my photography normally, what makes this any different?

Have you ever asked anyone to buy your photography? Very very few people are going to spontaneously offer to pay money for something you're offering for free. It's just not going to occur to them. That doesn't mean no one would be willing to buy your photographs. If you are currently trying to sell your photographs, it would be different because it's a fundraiser. It's easier for many people to persuade themselves to buy something if the money's going to a good cause. It's not just an indulgence, they can (rightly) frame it as a charitable donation, which makes it a lot easier. Additionally, you could take photo commissions, which would also be much different.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Yes I do sell it. Just not often. Who wants to pay these days when they can get what they want from Joe Schmo free? I also contract with a few news agencies as well. I do market and attempt to sell as best I can - I don't have money to pay to display at gallaries or do trade shows as those cost a lot up front. But anything else I do try. Fuck no my photog is NOT free. If anyone asks for free photos I ask them "sure! Will you repair my car and put on new brakes for free?" For example, if they are a mechanic. Of course the answer is no, so my answer is no as well! Fuck people who want art for free. They are not getting it from me.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Article found on Twitter: The Rise of the Period Apps

This is actually quite interesting to me, as one my big drives to become an app developer is creating better tools/software for women. No amount of user testing is going to get a bro-grammer to understand what kinds of tools I want to help deal with things that they don't have to go through. Even though I know what I would like, I don't know what other women would like, so I would appreciate those of you who use period apps, either online or on your phone, to tell me some of the things you like/dislike about them, feel free to PM me if these are things you are not comfortable talking about openly.

Also, for those of you looking for an oil for your hair - I cannot say enough about coconut oil. Put it in your hair, wrap it up, go to sleep, wake up with conditioned (and deliciously tropical smelling) hair. I have coarse-ish, dry hair, and it works wonderfully for me. Also, instead of washing your hair with shampoo, try cleansing it with a cheap conditioner. I only wash my hair once a week or so, and if I need to get the sweat or anything out mid-week, I'll use some cheap conditioner instead. It really helps out with the whole dry/frizzy hair thing.

I made this thing:

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

In what aisle of a grocery store can you generally find coconut oil?
I'm going to my yearly gyno check-up tomorrow. Going makes me nervous, but luckily my doctor is a female and by this time tomorrow I should have more bc pills.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Oh man, hell yes to the coconut oil. Just bought solid coconut butter/oil/shampoo stuff from lush and I have to say I will never use anything else again ever. SMELLS SO GOOD TOO.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 am UTC

I've seen it in the Asian products section in one store, and sort of haphazardly near the olive oil in another.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Article found on Twitter: The Rise of the Period Apps

Rant: (Warning: Contains language that may not be appropriate for the Safespace. -Lanicita)
Spoiler:
It is fine until we get to the advice for men.
"Compliment her on her Shoes."(?!)

ok. It seems I am not a normal woman.
The 'Man is from Mars; Woman is from Venus' book pissed me off, for the same reason.

Some shit about, "You can tell what kind of a Fucking she wants by what she is wearing to bed."
Fuck you! Buddy.

I have to be up at 5:30 am.
I have a job in an office in The City to support my life.
I have a small business and a family that expects me to bring home the bacon and fry it up.

You want to know the mystery of why I am wearing This Outfit to bed?!
I am wearing This Because I Could Find It and It's Clean!

That is not my life, now. It was then. That was a stupid book.
I am not worried that some Asshole is going to compliment me on my shoes.

I still find it mildly offensive.
It is not my place to tell other women that a compliment on their shoes is not an important form of foreplay.

ech. I wear hiking boots.
Those stupid shoes the rest of you wear are fine with me as long as I don't have to wear them.

I have done it. I have worn Stupid Shoes, too.
I fell off by platform heels, one time.

I decided to wear more comfortable shoes and cover more ground.

Oh! I love high heels on Mean Girls.
Even I can out run one of those Bitches.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Regarding the use of various oils for moisturising and hair and skin and stuff, can I just take this opportunity to recommend using oil to clean your face?

I've been using it as a cleanser since the end of last year, and it's resulted in unquestionably the best skin ever. I mix something like 4 parts olive oil with 1 part castor oil (sometimes a little more castor oil than that), and put it in a little plastic bottle, the kind you fill with shampoo if you need small packaging for travel, and use that mix every day to wash my face with. There are a bunch of different methods, but most of them involve massaging it into your face, letting your face get steamed up a bit (I use warm water on a towel, held over my face), and then wiping/patting it off. It can be good to exfoliate before doing this whole thing, but you can do that just using a warm wet towel with a little roughness or whatever suits your fancy.

The logic of it is meant to be that instead of trying to use all sorts of oil-free things to get rid of extra oil on your face, thereby drying it out and causing it to try to compensate with more oil, you take advantage of the fact that your skin is always going to produce a little oil and use the whole "oils cling to oils" principle to get rid of the excess. I've particularly found that it's effective for temporarily clearing sebaceous filaments on the nose (those things everyone thinks are blackheads but aren't).

(Hi woman thread!)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Interesting. What is the purpose of the castor oil? (I'm unfamiliar with the properties of oils outside of cooking)

How much do you use, and how often?

(Hi GG, hi women thread)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

I've done it with plain olive oil, and even in a pinch plain vegetable oil, in the past. As I understand it, a lot of people use all sorts of fancy oil mixes, but olive/castor seems to be a very popular starter mix because castor oil supposedly has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. I can't vouch for the scientific basis of that. On a pure observation front, castor oil is a much more viscous oil than most, and, as I've noticed while experimenting, using castor oil alone in this process leaves your face feeling very clean, sometimes a little too clean and a little dried out/tight. I suspect it's the oil in the mix that bears the brunt of the "clinging to other oils" part of the job, while the olive oil does its fair share of that but is also moisturising.

I use enough to comfortably cover my face with a thin but not incredibly skimpy layer of oil, and tend to usually do it once every day, often to remove makeup at night. I got my instructions from here initially, but don't necessarily do it exactly their way - I'm often prone to doing it in the shower using quite warm water rather than steaming with boiling water, as I've read elsewhere that steaming isn't necessarily all that great for your skin, and since I sometimes do it during a quick morning wash and then again at night, their method would take far too long for me. Also, I don't usually use a moisturiser afterwards. Rarely seem to need it.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Thanks for being so complete. I'm really interested in this idea as I think it'd be good for a stubbly face which is seemingly greasy and dry at the same time.

I'll scout out a suitable bottle to re-use, and I've added the two oils to my shopping list.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Best of luck! Feel free to update with results; I hope it works for you.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Even though I know what I would like, I don't know what other women would like, so I would appreciate those of you who use period apps, either online or on your phone, to tell me some of the things you like/dislike about them,

I've been thinking quite intensely about this! To avoid putting woman thread to sleep, have put over in spoilers:
Spoiler:
I've use at least 2 different period tracking apps, and settled on monthly info, mostly because of the nice graphs, indications of how long a standard deviation is on my cycle, and the helpful reminder emails. Here are some things it doesn't do that I'd really like:
  • Ability to set when the reminder is sent - particularly I'd like a reminder at the first standard deviation, and then a reminder if I've not clocked in and I'm way off the chart.
  • Ability to flag up certain cycles as "please ignore this for calculating stuff, my body was doing something weird"
  • Ability to record blood volume, or at least give a ratings indication of heaviness of flow, so that it's easier to guesstimate when the worst day will be (at the moment mine has move from the first two days of period to somewhere in the middle, I know not where. It'd be helpful to know that)
  • On a related note, ability to record how long the actual period lasted. That's actually a bit crucial. I had this with the other app I used, and I miss that functionality.
  • Graphs, visualisations, data geekery. That would be so cool.
  • Data export to .csv
  • "Did you know that 3% of our users also got Shark Week on that day?" (would be cool, but also creepy. I'd find it reassuring)
  • I guess that some people would want ovulation identification support? A lot of apps don't have that as much. But perhaps that might mean being able to set up multiple reminder email addresses so that your partner gets a "hey, your ladyfriend is ovulating" message? Honestly, no idea what someone who is trying to conceive or who might be going through fertility enhancement might want. Reminders to take hormone injections?
  • I wonder if there is also stuff that could be done to make it transwoman and pubescent girl accessible? Not sure.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Shro wrote: Even though I know what I would like, I don't know what other women would like, so I would appreciate those of you who use period apps, either online or on your phone, to tell me some of the things you like/dislike about them, feel free to PM me if these are things you are not comfortable talking about openly.
I like to keep track of pain meds I'm taking, both to remember how long ago I took the last dose, and to gauge how bad I was hurting on a given day. If I kept better track of it, it would probably also help me figure out what is most effect.

I use Period Tracker Lite (free version)
It seems fairly basic, although I haven't tried any others. There's a calender and you can set days to "period start" and "period end", and there's symptoms you can set to low, medium, or high, like "flow" and "breast tenderness".

I kind of want one with a calender that breaks down by the hour, but I don't if that would actually be good for me, or just feed my anxieties.
A way to highlight days when something out of the ordinary happens, or add symptoms or things like missed pills would be nice.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I use Period Tracker Lite (free version)
It seems fairly basic, although I haven't tried any others. There's a calender and you can set days to "period start" and "period end", and there's symptoms you can set to low, medium, or high, like "flow" and "breast tenderness".

I use this one as well and I like it. It does have a chart of your cycle length. Apparently, the paid version has cool graphs and stuff!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Regarding the use of various oils for moisturising and hair and skin and stuff, can I just take this opportunity to recommend using oil to clean your face?

I decided to try this, either out of desperation or just plain curiosity. I started yesterday morning, first with not enough castor oil and then with maybe too much.

So far, so interesting. The pores on my nose actually look smaller. I should get a few proper washcloths rather than the scrubby thing I'm using (gently) for now. I'm still using a bit of acne treatment afterwards, but I'll stick with this for a while and let the thread know how it goes.

(Hi GraphiteGirl!)

Return to “General”