[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Mavketl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
Enuja wrote:... because it really is women who enforce dress codes on other women, in completely non-sexual contexts.)

QFT

In my experience, males really don't care what you're wearing if it fits - so things like muffin tops that are caused by wearing far too tight pants are generally thing only thing I've heard guys ever criticize for.
I agree with the gist of your (plural) posts, but I think maybe they are leaning a little bit too much towards the "men don't really care about this" side. I've often heard men criticize women's clothing for being "(too) slutty" or for being "(too) nerdy/boring", which often translates to too revealing or not revealing enough. Apart from that, I think they comment more on women's bodies than their fashion, but that can have an impact on what women are comfortable wearing (and showing off) as well.

I agree, though, that when it comes to fashion, women are generally far more explicit and judgmental than men. And it sucks.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:
MadParrot wrote:So do we have any >30yo people who's acne has actually gone away?
My acne didn't suddenly disappear, and I still sometimes get occasional pimples. But it's nothing like when I was a teenager. I used to usually have at least two or three active pimples on my face at any given time, and I got enormous, ugly, painful ones about once a month. I do not remember when this stopped. I'm pretty sure that by the time I was 20, I was almost never getting enormous pimples. At this point (I'm 30), I only rarely have an active pimple - maybe once a month? - and I can't remember the last time I had one of those enormous painful ones I used to hate so much. But I don't remember noticing my acne going away; it was extremely gradual. I do remember being very annoyed when I was 22 or so that I still had plenty of acne, when I "should" have grown out of it. Looking back, though, that "plenty" of acne really wasn't as bad as it was at its peak, when I was 16 or so.

I could have pretty much word for word written this.

I'm also thirty. I also still get occasional acne, and it does annoy me, but yeah, it's nothing like it used to be. My default expectation now is a clear face. Typically when this doesn't happen, there's one pimple marring it, and it's not egregious and terrible, for the most part.

That said...
Dear body,
Could you please stop managing to get pimples in my nose? It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does.... aaaauuugh.
Mildly exasperatedly,
Sandry
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:
Enuja wrote:... because it really is women who enforce dress codes on other women, in completely non-sexual contexts.)

QFT

In my experience, males really don't care what you're wearing if it fits - so things like muffin tops that are caused by wearing far too tight pants are generally thing only thing I've heard guys ever criticize for.
I agree with the gist of your (plural) posts, but I think maybe they are leaning a little bit too much towards the "men don't really care about this" side. I've often heard men criticize women's clothing for being "(too) slutty" or for being "(too) nerdy/boring", which often translates to too revealing or not revealing enough. Apart from that, I think they comment more on women's bodies than their fashion, but that can have an impact on what women are comfortable wearing (and showing off) as well.

I agree, though, that when it comes to fashion, women are generally far more explicit and judgmental than men. And it sucks.

Ah, I always forget I'm coming from an odd environment: 4 males for every female, a technical university, and it snows around 8 months out of the year - these guys aren't expecting non-nerdy or much skin. I can see how it would definitely be different in a more standard environment.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

I HATE to be so sterotypical, woman thread, but this seems the most logical place to ask...

Any tips about shaving/otherwise removing the hair from my legs? I've been shaving for a few months now, but they always end up quite irritated...
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:I HATE to be so sterotypical, woman thread, but this seems the most logical place to ask...

Any tips about shaving/otherwise removing the hair from my legs? I've been shaving for a few months now, but they always end up quite irritated...

One word: Lotion.

My favorite lotion is pretty much anything aveeno makes. I mostly use the dry skin kind (cap is dark blue) but I've used nearly all of them and they all are great.

Seriously, lotion the heck out of your legs after you're done shaving - immediately after you step out of the shower and dry off. Your skin looses a lot of moisture in the shower (I know, counter intuitive) and if you put it on first thing, you skin will absorb the lotion better. Hair on the legs helps protect the skin, so when you remove it, more dry your skin will get (I was going to change that sentence, but accidental Yoda FTW!). So you may have to lotion your legs every time you get out of the shower - not just when you shave. Obviously YMMV

Oh, and when you dry off freshly shaved areas, always pat dry.

Also, what are you using when you shave your legs? Shaving cream/gel? Soap? I'm lazy so I don't buy shaving cream, but I do use Dove body wash. I don't lather it (no washcloths, loofahs, etc. - just my hand) and it works really well for me, even in more... intimate areas - and my skin gets really irritated really easily.

Of course, also make sure to have a nice sharp razor.

felltir

Postby felltir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Lotion. Gotcha. I normally pat dry because it doesn't hurt as much :P

I use Gillette shaving foam normally, and a fusion razor.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

sharp razor
use shaving cream/gels (I like Skintamate personally, especially the sensitive skin one)
lotion after (I like lotions from Lush 'cause they don't make my skin feel awful...I might have to try Aveno with everyone here liking it though)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Moisturize.
Exfoliate.
Moisturize.
Shave. - use a two bladed, new razor.
Moisturize.

Enjoy.

Note: I don't do this every time I shave, only once a week/every other week, since I have a tendency towards dry skin.

For moisturizing, I use C. Booth's Original Bath & Body Oil. If you like aveeno, and want something you can apply without feeling too lotiony- TRY THIS STUFF!
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:sharp razor
use shaving cream/gels (I like Skintamate personally, especially the sensitive skin one)
lotion after (I like lotions from Lush 'cause they don't make my skin feel awful...I might have to try Aveno with everyone here liking it though)

I've never used lush, but I think Aveeno is waaaay cheaper so I'd give it a try ($24/8oz vs. $6/12oz from a quick google - and you can get something like a 6oz tube to try it out). The nicest thing about the lotions is that there actually is a difference between the dry skin one and the daily moisturizing one and the eczema one (ok, I'll admit it... I'm an Aveeno junkie!) so you can adjust it to how much moisture your skin actually needs. In the winter, my mom will buy the dry skin one, while she normally uses the daily one. In the winter, I switch to intensive care.

And it really does last for 24 hours.

Sorry for turning this into an Aveeno ad! Aveeno lotion is just one of those things, like the diva cup, that I recommend to just about everyone because I love them so much!

Also, I just realized that Aveeno now makes a tinted moisturizer. Oh dear. I guess I'm getting another aveeno product to try.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

And in the UK use mens' razors since you don't have to pay VAT on them.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

felltir

Postby felltir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:And in the UK use mens' razors since you don't have to pay VAT on them.

Saywhat?
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

men's razors= essential, no VAT
women's razors= luxury, pay VAT.

:roll:

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:I HATE to be so sterotypical, woman thread, but this seems the most logical place to ask...

In addition to what others have said, I recommend getting your legs wet before applying shaving cream.

EDIT:

crowey wrote:men's razors= essential, no VAT
women's razors= luxury, pay VAT.

:roll:

Wow...that's kinda unfair. :\ Especially since the typical surface area women are expected to shave is much larger than that of men.
Last edited by Aightynine on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

felltir

Postby felltir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Wow, that's stupid.
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

That seems kinda backwards what with the huge amount of pressure on women to shave everything. I do not get. Is stupid.
Ⓞⓞ◯

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

The pressure on men to shave their face was far greater than that on women to shave at all when VAT was instituted. Probably still is.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Seriously, sexism doesn't even tell a consistent story here! Their rhetoric is all "shaved legs are essential, but beards can be dope," but really the message is "lol women pay more moneys"
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:

QFT

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that there aren't plenty of guys who want all women in their vicinity to be decorative and feminine. Also, many guys will only date women who are feminine/hot/fashionable. I've gotten obnoxious messages on OkC to the effect of [trigger warning] "shave and get a car, you lazy, ugly hippy," [/trigger warning] and I know plenty of guys won't have sex with me because I don't shave my legs. I once had sex with a guy because I found his shaved legs so sexy, so I can see how that could go.

I think part of the phenomena I'm talking about is the fact that guys are socialized to be disinterested in fashion. So, if I ask a guy how I look, he's more likely to use the metric of his own personal attraction, and that metric is very variable between people. But, if I ask a woman how I look, she's more likely to have been socialized to pay attention to fashion and culture expectations, so she'll tell me how well I fit the feminine ideal, not how hot I look to her own idiosyncratic taste.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this has been asked before...

How often do you remove the hair from your legs?
I can't go more than 3 days without shaving just because my hair grows so bloody fast. I went about a week without shaving a while back, and my legs looked like a yeti with black fur...
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before...

I can't go more than 3 days without shaving just because my hair grows so bloody fast. I went about a week without shaving a while back, and my legs looked like a yeti with black fur...

I'm really lucky in the fact that I have light colored hair, and I'm kind of lucky that overall, my hair grows very, very slowly. (Awesome for legs/armpits, horrible for head hair). Additonally, I don't have tons of hair on my legs - it seems to have migrated up to my arms instead :evil: (I don't shave my arms, but I have tried... trimming them :oops: )

In the summer I usually shave my legs about once a week, but my armpits 2 or 3 times (I very much dislike having hairy armpits, especially when wearing tank tops). In the winter I'll shave my legs about once a month and my armpits about once a week.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:How often do you remove the hair from your legs?

I'm quite pale and I have dark brown hair, so after one day (24 hours) I have somewhat noticable 2mm leg hair, and after two days I need to shave again. This is the first summer I've really felt *good* about my body in a get-out-there-and-wear-short-stuff way, so I'm learning the limits on my non-shaving. My *ahem* downstairs is sooooo sensitive. I *can not* shave there. Period. I just trim it. Every summer I shave along the bikini line, and it hates me, but apparently I still haven't learned my lesson. :roll:

I've refused to try shaving my arm hair because it's (the only) light hair. I just don't want it to go all sharp and dark like my legs did!

Side note: When waxing products say "lasts 4 times as long as shaving" and then, "lasts up to four weeks" does that mean that some people can shave only once a week!? Really!? Jealous!!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

I shave my armpits once a week. I've never shaved my legs. I'll trim my pubic hair, but that's like once every four months.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

Cathy, are you secretly me? I totally could have written that post.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Cathy, are you secretly me? I totally could have written that post.

*gasp* We are each other from another reality! Or something :wink: I wish I lived in San Francisco.

My underarms are getting more sensitive about shaving than they used to, so I'm thinking that maybe I'll just trim. I *never* shave in the winter. It dries my skin out and it gets really itchy. I just wear opaque tights and long pants.

Btw, I hope I'm not eating the thread by posting a lot, I've just become very fond of this forum. <3
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

When I first started shaving my legs, (in 6th grade, because an 8th grader girl I sat next to on the bus thought my leg hair was ugly), I shaved every single day. Apparently, I pushed back the day (by a year or more) some of my peers started shaving, because, when I first started shaving myself, I accidentally cut myself constantly. By my early 20s, I could shave both of my legs in less than 2 minutes, I almost never cut myself, and I shaved about once every 2-4 days. My leg hair isn't particularly dark, except for the lower half of my lower leg, and for around my crotch. My legs didn't feel smooth after about 18 hours, and I thought it was visibly apparent that I hadn't shaved recently by 48 hours. In my transition to not shaving, I started shaving only below my knees (depending on clothing for the dark hair near my crotch, which meant I was actually a little shy about wearing a swim suit at the time). I switched to not shaving at all when I was wearing shorts and could feel the air move on my knees but not lower legs, and decided being socially unacceptable was not worth not having hair to magnify sensation.

On advice about shaving: almost all of my advice is covered above, but if someone gave this tip, I hadn't noticed. Shave with (not against) the direction of your hair. That means shave your legs from top to bottom (I did the upper legs in strips, then the lower legs, then carefully, slowly, the knee). You hair won't be shaved quite as close, but that means you're much less likely to get ingrown hairs and otherwise irritated legs.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

I need to shave every day. After 24 hrs there is noticible stubble if you look, after 48 noticible hair if you don't look. Although I've been lazy lately especially with being gone caving. Luckily, cavers are really the last to care if you look "pretty" or not and roughin' it is quite normal.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Cathy wrote: My *ahem* downstairs is sooooo sensitive. I *can not* shave there. Period. I just trim it. Every summer I shave along the bikini line, and it hates me, but apparently I still haven't learned my lesson. :roll:

My bikini line doesn't react well to shaving, either. So I don't do it very often; only when I feel compelled to, for whatever reason. >.> Also I've never even tried shaving what's in between my legs, because I just know it'll be wicked uncomfortable. I trim as well.

I shave my legs about once a week if there's a chance that I'll be wearing shorts or a skirt or whatever, less often if not. (This winter was so bad.) My armpit shaving alternates between every other day and every third day; I kinda just play it by ear. I don't like letting it go too long, because I hate armpit hair. That's the one area of my body I'd probably still shave even if it wasn't a societal pressure to do so.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 am UTC

I have blonde, thin leg hair and should really get glasses. This means that I often can't tell where on my legs I have and haven't shaved, or can go without shaving for weeks... and then I go hiking on the mountain and the glare of the sun makes 'em all glisten :oops:

Underarms are thick and black though. So my general shaving frequency is underarms and pube area every second or third day, and legs whenever the hell I can be bothered. Once a week to once a month or so? Or less? If I look closely at them I can see some that are half a cm or more, but they're very thin and blonde and sparse so I do have to look. I don't have that smooth feeling, but I don't care.

Overshare:
Spoiler:
I also have a super-long (1.5-2 cm) darkish nipple hair on one of my boobs. I put this on the list of things they should have warned you about in puberty lessons but didn't! Never had a boob hair up until the last year or two (early-mid twenties). It more intrigues me than bothers me, especially as it's one hair, although I've had one on each boob in the past. I generally snip them off but haven't got round to it of late. Doesn't bother Boy, doesn't bother me, so what the heck.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:50 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
doogly wrote:Muffin top is the best part of the muffin, that is not even a problem.

That is very, very true. Muffin tops are much better than the bottoms. Mmmmm.... muffins......

Oh, and I'm not trying to say that people who are a bit more chunky around the middle are unattractive. I'm just saying that the only appearance issue wrt clothing that I've ever heard guys complain about are women who wear far too small clothing. Also, there's a huge chance that that totally doesn't bother some guys.
Just as I always do when the "muffin top" comes up, I'd like to point out that some people's bodies are just naturally built like that. I have a "muffin top" even if I'm naked. My clothes aren't too small for me, I'm just built differently.

I am one of those people who only shaves once a week, if that. My leg hair is very fine and light-colored, and I don't really care about what stubble looks like anyway, so I don't worry about it much.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:
doogly wrote:Muffin top is the best part of the muffin, that is not even a problem.

That is very, very true. Muffin tops are much better than the bottoms. Mmmmm.... muffins......

Oh, and I'm not trying to say that people who are a bit more chunky around the middle are unattractive. I'm just saying that the only appearance issue wrt clothing that I've ever heard guys complain about are women who wear far too small clothing. Also, there's a huge chance that that totally doesn't bother some guys.
Just as I always do when the "muffin top" comes up, I'd like to point out that some people's bodies are just naturally built like that. I have a "muffin top" even if I'm naked. My clothes aren't too small for me, I'm just built differently.

I am one of those people who only shaves once a week, if that. My leg hair is very fine and light-colored, and I don't really care about what stubble looks like anyway, so I don't worry about it much.
Oddly enough as I've gotten into better shape I kinda have a muffin top now instead of a more "rounded" belly kinda a dimple in the middle with the top part of the dimple being a little more bulgy than the bottom part.

Spoilered for body image stuff and not knowing quite how to word things so it doesn't sound shaming so apologies if anything reads that way.
Spoiler:
I...didn't know it can be normal, I thought it just meant I had extra fat that didn't know what to do and so it's just sitting there still, like I was slimming a bit unequally top tummy vs bottom tummy. I...kinda hate it to be honest. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to how it looks...but Is it something I'm gonna have to learn to live with about my body or does anyone know of ideas of different excersizes to minimize/get rid of it? I honestly really hate it >_<

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 am UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before...

I gave up shaving my legs or othewise removing body hairs about 25 years ago.
I probably have missed out on sexytimes with some guys because of it, but if that was so important to them, I didn't really want them in my life anyway. Once or twice I have shaved everything just as a surprise for the one lover i've had that deserved things like that. He knew it was a special occasion.
ETA:
I get occasional zits still and I'm just over 50. My teen acne was a bother but never horrible, and had died down by the time I was 30. Seeing age spots and zits at the same time is a real bummer.
Last edited by PAstrychef on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:19 am UTC

Sungura wrote: Oddly enough as I've gotten into better shape I kinda have a muffin top now instead of a more "rounded" belly kinda a dimple in the middle with the top part of the dimple being a little more bulgy than the bottom part.
Spoilered for body image stuff and not knowing quite how to word things so it doesn't sound shaming so apologies if anything reads that way.
Spoiler:
I...didn't know it can be normal, I thought it just meant I had extra fat that didn't know what to do and so it's just sitting there still, like I was slimming a bit unequally top tummy vs bottom tummy. I...kinda hate it to be honest. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to how it looks...but Is it something I'm gonna have to learn to live with about my body or does anyone know of ideas of different excersizes to minimize/get rid of it? I honestly really hate it >_<

Do you mean the sort of 'crease' in the middle, where the top folds over a little? For a while I was pretty sure I got that from wearing pants with a tight waist, but some classic-ancient (from before pants) art shows ladies with that kind of thing. (Venus of Willendorf has a little of that going on).
I think the problem is that even when shows/commercials want to show a heavier woman, they still try and make her abdomen more concave then protruding, which (to my knowledge) is not representative of the majority of women. (Some body image problems involved) The Lane Bryant ad here, for example, is supposed to be for and of thicker women but still emphasizes a flat gut-region.
Sungura wrote:I need to shave every day. After 24 hrs there is noticible stubble if you look, after 48 noticible hair if you don't look. Although I've been lazy lately especially with being gone caving.
I have this too, but I mostly ignore it. (dark, but kind of sparse and on freckled skin, hard to see, easy to feel though. ) I used to think it was worse than it actually is, because I'm terrible at shaving my legs. I'm getting a little better at it (only a few stripes of missed stubble this last time I tried to shave quickly in the shower, plus the rings around my ankles I must have missed the past 4 or 5 times I shaved) but I still kind of give up at the knee.
Plasmic-Turtle wrote:Overshare:
Spoiler:
I also have a super-long (1.5-2 cm) darkish nipple hair on one of my boobs. I put this on the list of things they should have warned you about in puberty lessons but didn't! Never had a boob hair up until the last year or two (early-mid twenties). It more intrigues me than bothers me, especially as it's one hair, although I've had one on each boob in the past. I generally snip them off but haven't got round to it of late. Doesn't bother Boy, doesn't bother me, so what the heck.
ohmygawsh, me too!
Spoiler:
I plucked it a few times, and it's grown back.
I don't know that it's a post-puberty thing though, I remember having a super long hair (3-4inches/ 6-7cm) grow out of the middle of my back when I was 11. neither bothered me as much as the random long (face)cheek hair, it was one of the transparent thin ones. How did I not notice that before it was 2" long?!
Last edited by cephalopod9 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 am UTC

so weird thing...
Spoiler:
some of my pubes are white tipped. most of the hair will be black, but the top 1/16th-1/8th will be white. wth? anyone else noticed this?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I probably have missed out on sexytimes with some guys because of it, but if that was so important to them, I didn't really want them in my life anyway.

Pretty much this. Not that long after my fiance and I started dating, I warned him that I don't shave my legs all the time and if he cared about that he should stuff it or get out. He was unaware that guys demanded such things. Lol.
PAstrychef wrote:I get occasional zits still and I'm just over 50. My teen acne was a bother but never horrible, and had died down by the time I was 30. Seeing age spots and zits at the same time is a real bummer.

My mom's late 50's and she's had acne all her life. We tease my brother that this is what he has to look forward to. He has the same sort of skin issues my mom has whereas I got my dad's relatively clear (but super easy to sunburn) skin.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am UTC

heh, I have never shaved/waxed/dissolved my legs (because A) Hair doesn't bother me, but stubble does and B) I've never been bored enough to try it).

Thus I know nothing about hair removal, so vaguely amusing topical story:
I live in a share house with other women (who leave all manner of exotic lotions and potions about), and one day I knocked a small, delicate glass bottle off the bathroom sink, which promptly shattered. Ooops. Picked most of the bits up and wiped up the liquid with a paper towel. I picked up the lid, where just a bit of the glass was intact, glanced at it and read: 'hair remova---'. Uh oh.... Oh My God I've Been Cleaning This Stuff With My Bare Hands The Skin On My Fingers Is Going To Dissolve Aaaaaaaahhhhhh. *Washed hands*. Washed Arms. Washed feet. Got mop and washed floor, removed bathmat to the laundry sink and labelled as potential glass and biohazard. Then checked my fingers for signs of peeling flesh (none detected). All of which made me run late for visiting the boyfriend - the one redeeming feature of the incident was the opportunity to send him a text message saying "sorry, delayed due to the 'beauty' industry" .

Yes, I found out later it wasn't actually scary uber-toxic hair-dissolver, just some sort of oil.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 am UTC

I haven't shaved my legs since... January 2nd-ish. My head hair is dark and curly, but it's pretty fine when it's braided/straightened, and I have very fine body hair that bleaches in the sun. My eyebrows disappear into my head if I tweeze them even a tiny bit. And oddly enough, my head hair seems to grow a lot faster than my body hair - if I shave my legs, it can be a good week before I can see the stubble.

My armpit hair is practically invisible unless your face is in my armpit, and shaving/not shaving doesn't seem to affect how my deodorant functions. I'll shave my legs if I'm getting dressed up super-fancy - and I remember - since I do FEEL sexier with shaved legs. Head thing, I know, but I also hate wearing stockings. And sometimes I'll shave for my SO, but he has no real preference and I'm not prickly when it's growing in.

As for my pubes, mine are pretty sparse and if I'm feeling in the mood 30 minutes with a pair of tweezers leaves me smooth for the next two weeks, and it doesn't itch when it grows back.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:so weird thing...
Spoiler:
some of my pubes are white tipped. most of the hair will be black, but the top 1/16th-1/8th will be white. wth? anyone else noticed this?
Wow that is cool! I don't have it, but I kind of wish I did. Two-toned hair with no need to dye it.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Spoilered for body image stuff and not knowing quite how to word things so it doesn't sound shaming so apologies if anything reads that way.
Spoiler:
I think that even if you do figure out a way to get rid of it, you should try and learn to love it, or at least accept it. I guess I hope eventually everyone loves their bodies regardless of how they change.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

I'm one of the luckier ones wrt leg hair, where three days after I've shaved it still doesn't look terribly noticeable. I do still feel a bit intimidated by going out with bare legs when I haven't shaved in an age, and actually I confess I sort of like to shave anyhow, at least in summer, because it makes me feel slightly less warm, and I'll take anything I can get in winter.

My weird body hair thing - some of my underarm hair is pure white. And it's in a couple splotches, so it looks like I have underarm bald spots. To a lesser extent, my eyebrows do this, too. I have platinum blond hair in one spot in the middle of one of my eyebrows. It drives me a bit bonkers.

Bodies: they're kinda odd.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

cometoid

Postby cometoid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

So, sorry for the mild off-topicness. Nice to meet y'all. I'm going to spoiled this next bit because it's full of weight loss and possible eating disorder triggers, I think.

Spoiler:
For the past week or two, my close friend has told me that she hates her body (specifically too much bum, not enough boobs), she's trying to lose weight, and she's exercizing more. Thing is, she's a skinny kid (by kid I mean she's 15, don't worry). I am really paranoid of eating disorders, which I haven't told her, because then she'll discount my opinion on the matter. Two of my best friends recently got out of treatment for their eating disorders, and I got pretty close to having one once.

I've told her that she's thin/beautiful/that and that she's showing some definite E.D. behavior, like a sit-up/push up ritual and a food diary (A FRICKING FOOD DIARY!), but should I be this concerned? Sure, exercizing more and eating healthier are good for you in any situation, but she's at the most 110 pounds at 5'1 normally. She really can't stand to lose any of that. How can I get her to love her body, even her bum, and for me to stop being so concerned (if I should be, which I can't figure out for the life of me)?

Return to “General”