[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby apricity » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

This is an AMAZING pro-choice parody of the song "Forget You" by Cee-Lo Green. Originally posted here with a damn good recording.

Lyrics:
Spoiler:
Chorus:
See you tryin’ to take the rights
From the sisters I love
And I’m like, forget you
I guess the rape redefinition
Wasn’t enough
And I’m like, forget you
And your dumb laws too
Said if I was richer
I could bribe ‘ya
Huh! Ain’t that some shhhh!
And now there’s pain in my womb
From this impending doom
I’m like, forget you

Verse 1:
I’m sorry
I was born with ovaries
But that don’t mean
I can’t make a choice
Guess they’re all rich men
And we’re all paltry
Gotta let ‘em know
We have a voice

I pity the fool
Who wants to vote for you
(You’re a gold digger)
Well
(Just thought you should know)
Ooooohooooo
I got some news for you
We’re not gonna take this BS no more

Chorus

Verse 2:
I know
You had to borrow
From China for the economy
While spending trillions
On the wars
Killing other people’s babies.

I pity the fool
Who wants to vote for you
(You’re a gold digger)
Well…
(Just thought you should know)
Oooohooooo
I got some news for you
Oohhh I really hate your ass right now

Chorus

Bridge:
Now crazy, crazy, rich men
Why you wanna wanna hurt us so bad?
(So bad, so bad, so bad)
Don’t force us to be mamas
Cuz you never force the boys
To be dads
(the dads, the dads, the dads)

And I was like,
Uh! Why? Uh! Why? Uh Why??? Rich man
I hate you! I still hate you! Ohhhhh
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

posting to facebook! this is awesome.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 am UTC

That really is brilliant! It's on my tumblr now. :D
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

I'm scared. Don't know who to talk to or where to turn...

I had been having minor panic attacks related to my eye drama. Every time I see or hear any type of emergency response vehicle (ambulance, fire truck, police car...) my mind races back to the night where I ended up being taken by ambulance to the emergency room for all my eye troubles. I instantly freeze on the spot, my knees knock, I cannot think clearly, and I tense up.

The counsellor I am seeing has been really helpful, but I wasn't able to get into a state of mind during/after this attack to calm down. I went to bed with shaking knees and feeling like the world was going to collapse

The panic attacks are getting worse. After I had a panic attack, I scared the living shit out of myself last night and ran away from a group of friends without saying goodbye. I do not like the mental state that I am in one bit, and it's not helping that I'm stressed out because I feel like I'm going to lose one of my friends if they keep happening. Shit, Shit, Shit!!!!

STOP THE WORLD!!!! I WANT TO GET OFF :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 am UTC

*Hugs* Squirrel.
Have you explained to your friends what's going on, in terms of panic attacks and the like?
You could also apologise to them for running away without saying goodbye, just so that they know that you didn't mean to be rude, you're just going through a difficult time right now and this is taking its toll.

Also, as harsh as it is sounds, even if you did lose one of your friends, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Sometimes friends just don't understand what you're going through.

The depression/social anxiety I've been experiencing on and off for the past few years has had a large effect on a number of my friendships, and also played a big role in the end of my last relationship. The only 2 people I really feel comfortable depending on for support (which I need) & being entirely honest with at the moment are my current partner and a close childhood friend. But that's all you need - just a couple of people who are there through thick & thin, and who accept that sometimes you're utterly bat-shit crazy & love you anyway. The loss or distancing of other friends is sad, and it can hurt like hell at the time, but you will meet more people as you go through life, and forge many wonderful new friendships.

You'll come out of this OK.
more (((HUGS)))

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:46 am UTC

Tell people what's going on-they can help or not. If they don't help-sad to say it, but they weren't great friends. More than you realize will be helpful and supportive. If you can say "I'm starting to panic" they can hand you a paper bag, (rebreathing works great to reduce the severity of panic attacks by making you stop hyperventilating) give you a hug or make a quiet space for you. Some may enjoy the drama of it all a bit much, but that's inevitable.
Congrats on the good counselor and the school support services! You will get through this and you will see again and you will graduate from college.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Is what friends do: inconvenience each other. May not seem like it at first glance. Mostly little things here and there, like meeting at someone’s residence or getting some item while you’re out. Is easier to notice when you yourself are being a nuisance (for me, at least). Pay attention. Might notice what you do for others. Might be real pains, but you gloss over a lot because you are friends. Will not be lost so easily.

Might feel like a good day may never come. Compounds like garbage, day by day by day until you break, and then keeps piling on forever. Is incorrect. Will come someday and break the chain. May be soon. May still be a ways away. Remember that tomorrow is coming fast. Is another day for another chance. Will believe in your good day, even if you do not. Wishes you the best until then.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Pterosaur

Postby Pterosaur » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

I have terrible panic attacks from my needle phobia. It’s days of anxiety prior to a blood test, climaxing to a loss of consciousness during the blood draw. My doctor prescribed Xanax. It really helps, although when I take it, I’m too groggy to drive.

It’s something to ask your doctor about. Most general practitioners will prescribe it in short-term doses, but if you need it long term, you should find a qualified psychiatrist.

Also, what Plasmic-Turtle said. :)
Until you stalk and overrun,
You can't devour anyone.
--Hobbes

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

@Plasmic-Turtle: Hugs back! I have only told a very small handful of people the full story of what I am dealing with. The rest of the people I interact with know only what I feel they need to know. Some know more than others, and I can live with that. I have apologised profusely to the group that I ran out on. One person in the group is going through a similar situation with the panic attacks, so she totally understands (though on a different level) what I am going through. Another person is a psychology major, so she understands the mental aspect. I scared the one person in the group who had no clue that I had been having these stupid things. I just met him recently, as he is the boyfriend of the young woman who is in a situation similar to mine. He tried to say that I didn't scare him, but he later admitted that my attack freaked him out. Chemistry gods know I feel awful for that.

Most of my friends think I'm bat shit crazy to start with. I am a chemistry major with a mathematics minor, which most people think is just crazy.

@PAstrychef: I have gotten my vision back :) it is now a matter of getting my eyes to work together for close-up work like reading and note-taking. It is an interesting experience for me when I try to read lines of text aloud or follow a harmony line in choir- my eyes jump across the page so I Frankenstein lines of text together.. The one thing that I am worried about is the muscle spasms. When those hit, I cannot see, things hurt, and my focus does not want to come back.
The funny thing about my panic attacks is that I have not hyperventilated yet. I just freeze up like time stopped all of a sudden, my knees shake, my mind goes straight to panic mode, and then my heart races. It's unreal.

@Deva: Thank you for your support. I try to look for a good day, or even just one good part of each day, but it gets really difficult. Sometimes existing is the best I can hope for. Other days it is pure survival instinct. Very few days have made me feel like I was thriving this semester. Things can only get better from here...
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Yeah for the seeing things! I presume you have loads of exercises for improving your stereoscopic vision. An anti-anxiety drug may help with the spasms as well as everything else.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

I hereby interupt crazy bodies doing crazy things and annoying the heck out of us for this cute photo:
Spoiler:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

The high pitched *squee* noise I just made really bothered my friend Catherine. She would like to express her annoyance with you.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Oh crap, is that a baby hairless rabbit? I think I may die of cute.

Yep. Definitely dead.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Not hairless, there is some fuzz if you look :) 3 days old. I love the wrinkles! hehe
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Ugh. More medical crap.
Spoiler:
It's not anemia, or rather, my hematocrit percentage is smack-ass in the middle of the right range, but they didn't do hemoglobin so it still could be. And my glucose is normal, so I'm not just sporadically hypoglycemic.
And as far as I know, the EKG was normal. Or at least, the PCMO hasn't said anything to me about the results yet.
Annnnnnnnnd there were abnormalities on the EEG/EEC. Not seizure disorder, since I didn't seize while they were trying to induce seizures. But the Dr reading the scan definitely wasn't pleased, took out a pen, and talked with the PCMO. General gist is that there's something there that shouldn't be. So I'm going for a MRI today, to see what happens. And then see what the Medical office in Washington says.
Everyone's been pretty good - the PCMOs and other med. staff -, and EECs are notoriously unreliable. And this was done in the city neurological hospital, so the equipment was probably pretty old. But... I am ridiculously nervous right now. Added to that, I left my phone in the neurological hospital, and I'm not sure if my MRI is there or somewhere else today. And so I don't know when I can go pick it up.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 am UTC

I dunno why, but I saw a vaginal gel commercial that pissed me off. The whole point of the commercial seemed to be, "Ladies, your lady parts are disgusting and need to be cleaned." WTF.

Oh and then this stupid maybelene commercial. "Don't change me, fit me." Then they display some makeup that will show the "real" you?

I almost forgot why I stop watching TV. I want to put an axe through this box.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am UTC

Hey, Woman Thread. I'm sorry for probably interrupting the current conversation, especially since I haven't been on the fora in months, but I have a good doctor story that is relevant to the thread and my first thought was that I should share it with you.

As people who have me added on facebook know, I had a bit of a bad experience with my new doctor a couple of weeks ago, where he told me completely wrong information about smear tests, the implant and just contraception in general that left me with a prescription for a pill that didn't suit me and left me feeling forced into getting an implant despite not knowing much about it. After doing my research online I discovered how wrong some of the stuff was that he told me and had a mild panic attack about it for the next few hours. Thankfully he did give me the name of the GP surgery's contraceptive expert. I had my appointment with her this morning.

It started off pretty well, I told her why I'd come in and that I was unhappy with my previous appointment. She introduced herself to me as "The contraception guru" and I knew I was in good hands. I told her my previous doctor had told me I had to be 25 to be offered a smear test and she confirmed that, yeah, I was right and the old doctor's 30 seconds of googling was wrong. The age is 25 in England and 20 in Scotland, so I could make an appointment at any time to get one.

She then proceeded to actually give me information on every option available to me, as opposed to just the implant and the injection. She even offered me both types of coil as well as the nuva ring and the contraceptive patch which the old doctor didn't mention. When I told her (and I admit, this was mostly to test her reaction) that I'd known people who had had problems getting the coil because they hadn't had children and asked if that would be a problem she rolled her eyes and said "That is a load of old fashioned nonsense. It is easier to put the coil in with women that have had children because the cervix is more stretched but I've had a lot of patients without children who have gone with the coil and I've had absolutely no problems with fitting them". Much better than my old doctor who outright said "I don't offer these to patients without children".

After going over the risks and side effects and things associated with the IUS and being given helpful leaflets to read in my own time, I now have an appointment for the 17th to have my coil fitted. Plus my smear test is booked for the same time so I don't have to come in twice and feel more uncomfortable than I need to. All in all a great success, I thought.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

I apologise if this is an imposition, but have you considered registering a complaint with either the surgery/hospital, or if you feel it is endangering other women the GMC (general medical council)?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

superglucose wrote:I almost forgot why I stop watching TV. I want to put an axe through this box.

That seems a simple method of getting yourself...

...an axe-box.

Spoiler:
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:After going over the risks and side effects and things associated with the IUS and being given helpful leaflets to read in my own time, I now have an appointment for the 17th to have my coil fitted. Plus my smear test is booked for the same time so I don't have to come in twice and feel more uncomfortable than I need to. All in all a great success, I thought.

This is amazing. I really thing the IUS/IUD is the method of birth control most women will be opting for in the future. Just having one thing you don't have to think about and stress about makes this my favorite form of birth control.

(Shark Week just barely lasted three days and all I needed was a liner most times and put in a tampon in for a bit (not because the flow was heavy, but because I wanted to wear cute underwear. One of the things that pisses me off most about a period is the fact that I can't wear my cute underwear those days - now I don't really worry and it's GREAT.)
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

I think I might in the minority, but I like taking the pill every day. I was never good at paying attention to my cycle, so my periods always snuck up on me. I like that I can look at my pack of pills and see where I am. And the ability to skip is nice too.

Hooray for choices! :D

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Hooray for choices!

In that vain, I am doing the shameless promotion thing for an abortion thread just started. I know people have likely not seen it, and I know other people have had abortions. So, it is not for general debate of abortion but actually talking about and dealing with the experience of it all. Is there for people who have not had them too (as long as people respect the safe space).

But yeah, choices are pretty fracken rad.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:I think I might in the minority, but I like taking the pill every day. I was never good at paying attention to my cycle, so my periods always snuck up on me. I like that I can look at my pack of pills and see where I am. And the ability to skip is nice too.

So much this. I don't do it often because, while I've been assured it's fine, it still makes me feel squicky. However, I love that if I want to have sexyfuntimes, I can skip Shark Week which generally prevents said fun times.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

I don't do it often either, especially on my previous pill, because I was fairly certain I could expect spotting in between. But my new pill seems to have fixed that, and I was very glad for the option last weekend, when we were staying at the coast for our anniversary :)

@sophy: That's a great idea for a thread. If I had a story, I would contribute, but I don't. Still, I can appreciate the need for such a thread. People try to claim that all women are going to have the same experience with abortion, and it's simply not true. It's great to hear real stories from real people.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:@sophy: That's a great idea for a thread. If I had a story, I would contribute, but I don't. Still, I can appreciate the need for such a thread. People try to claim that all women are going to have the same experience with abortion, and it's simply not true. It's great to hear real stories from real people.

Yes, I agree totally.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

:oops:
thanks
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 am UTC

I don't have anything to add to the abortion thread but it's a great idea =)

I sent a letter to my senator today about PP though.
Spoilered in case its a trigger?
Spoiler:
the tl;dr version
"Planned Parenthood isn't just about abortion. I went to them when no other place listened to Shark Week issues and they helped me when others wouldn't. Get this: I'm a virgin Christian, and I support Planned Parenthood."

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:47 am UTC

Sungura: I really, really, really hope that you sent the Senators a version of the letter with "Shark Week" used. Preferably, with a little * after and then a long, long explanation at the bottom.
Actually, I'm so amused by thinking this that I'd prefer NOT to be told otherwise.

So go you! Also, reminds me to get my own letter written and e-mailed.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:51 am UTC

I like the idea of an abortion-safespace, because hearing other people's stories might help me if I ever come into such a situation. My hugs go out to everyone who's had any kind of negative experience, whether the abortion itself or other people's reactions.

Back to contraception, I also liked the fact that I could skip a period on the pill, but manly used it for camps and trips. Since all the pills I tried either majorly impacted my sexual desire or didn't work at all, I gave up on them. In the vain hope that my amenorrhea from the before- and between-pill times would continue, I got a copper IUD, and fascinatingly enough my cycle is now halfway regular. Longer than "normal" but I don't mind that at all.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

I also have the copper IUD, but have not found my cycles to be more regular. It is hard to say though, because I spent about 10 years on the pill. I guess I am regular enough.
I do sometimes have kinda epic periods (where I empty my full menstrual cup once an hour for about 8 hours, and that is just once day) which makes my borderline anemia sad and getting up and about or even being awake is hard.

Still, I am very pleased. I don't have extra hormones to interact with/increase any depression and low sex drive that I might get naturally, and I can leave it in for 10 years.
Is pretty sweet.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

I went with the Mirena IUD because I heard the copper can/often make periods worse, or at least, doesn't help them. I needed something that would stop my periods or at least calm them down. The Mirena works well for that. I have happier shark days now instead of shark months.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Went to my doctor this morning: Good things - she thinks that my PCOS is more or less under control now, because I seem to be ovulating, and things have not gone wonky. This is the first time since I was 16 that I've had regular-ish periods for more than 5 months in a row.
Sad things: I have gained back about 12 pounds of the 27 pounds I had previously lost, and my A1C scores have gone from 4.4 to 5.5. Still well below diabetic range, but concerning, as pre-diabetic is 5.7. She prescribed me Phenteramine, which is supposed to speed up my metabolism. She also made a point of telling me that every year I wait makes it less likely I'll successfully be able to carry a healthy baby to term, which was kind of a sadness...even though I have always been aware of that. She wasn't pushing me to get pregnant (in fact, she recommended I go back on some form of birth control, because I seem to be ovulating and it obviously has done nothing to help me lose weight going off of it), just trying to inform me, but I hate being aware of the fact that I might be squandering my chance to have a child.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

*hugs picturesara*
Good news huh? with some not bad but thoughtful news. I hope you can find peace about things, I never thought about whatifiwaittoolongthenwantakid sort of thing.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

I'm only 24, so it's not really critical. The PCOS just makes it much more likely that I'll have repeated miscarriages or not be able to conceive at all, and that gets more true with age. Fertility treatments would make it much more likely that I'd be able to conceive, but from what I understand, the most commonly used drug to treat PCOS-related infertility is Clomid, which can raise your chances of multiple births hugely (1 in 25 becomes 1 in 4). I would really prefer one baby at a time. My husband and I are very open to the idea of adopting, but I have multiple friends who have adopted/attempted to adopt, and I also work closely with people who are foster-to-adopt parents and foster youth liaisons/child advocates...so it has become really clear to me that adoption can be incredibly difficult and expensive.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:18 am UTC

I've got a Mirena IUD, and while they told me not to be worried if my periods went away or skipped etc, mine have actually been longer with nasty cramps! I've had it for about two years now, and while I dislike cramps, I don't have enough evidence that they're actually because of the IUD. Plus I really adore the 5-year no-maintenance idea of an IUD.

Seriously, it's just there. You don't have to worry about it, or put it on, or take it out, or put it in or anything.

Spoiler:
When the guy comes home and wants sexytimes right away we don't have to worry about anything except not to fall over a cat!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Hi, all. Sorry if I'm sort of intruding, but since the conversation seems to be on contraception, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. I'm 19 years old, and will probably soon be going on some sort of birth control. I've heard sometimes, one can feel pretty crappy the first few months after going on the pill--has anyone experienced this? What about low libido? Also, has anyone here tried the patch? I'm hopefully going to the gynecologist soon, but I'd also like to hear about people's experiences. :)
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Aightynine I think it differs for each person, although from reading some of the posts on here there seem to be some symptoms which are more common with particular methods. If you use the search box within this thread and type in things like "pill", "IUD", "contraception", you'll find a plethora of personal accounts and experiences that people have had - it's a conversation we keep coming back to.

My older sister finds that being on any type of pill decreases her libido and makes her depressed, to such an extent she can't use them. We do have a bit of family history with depression though. I've only ever been on Levlen Ed (a brand of combined pill). I suspect it may have some effect on my moods, but at the moment it is generally still worth it for condom-free sex, lighter 'periods' and ability to choose to skip a period entirely when I go on holidays or hiking trips.

Hope you find something that works well for you :)

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Yes, unfortunately (or fortunately?), it all depends on the person. You'll likely just have to try what you think sounds best, and go from there. I never had any problems when I started the pill. I recently changed pills because I had some spotting between periods, and I had slight nausea for maybe a week, but now everything is fine. But I have friends who get really depressed or have terrible mood swings when they use hormonal birth control.

You'll just have to voice your concerns with your doctor and try something out.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:01 am UTC

A while ago I sort of did a timeline of all the contraceptives I've used:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7757&p=1860344&hilit=IUD#p1860344

I have PCOS, and don't seem to respond typically to hormonal birth controls, though.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:05 am UTC

I only ever tried the one - Mirena IUD. I wanted something I didn't have to worry about (I suck at remembering to take pills for my migraines when I need to, even) and I had really long/bad periods and wanted to improve those or do away with them. Mirena works by low dose locally which seems to (and holds true in my case) really cut back on side effects since it's local rather than really systemic (like if you take a pill). And it stops the endometrium from building up in the first place (which, the breakdown of such is shark week) so if you have less-to-no endometrium there is nothing to bleed out. Which, the endometrium breaking up basically is what also causes the cramps, so it really improves cramps generally too.

...basically I couldnt find any downsides to the Mirena and a lot of awesome bonuses. I don't need it for the BC I just need it to control the periods. I went from 10-12 day long periods (about 6-8 of which would be really heavy) to now about 3-5 days, mostly light spotting that requires a dayliner at most. The only downside is I'm a little less regular, might be 3 weeks between might be 5 weeks between. But, it's so light that I don't really care. Oh but for the first month (basically until after my first period on it) every few days I would randomly get a bad cramp for about 5 minutes. I am pretty sure it was just my uterus getting used to the thing. That's the only "side effect" I noticed. It usually happened if I had to walk up more than 2 flights of stairs, oddly enough. I learned to just take the elevator instead for a bit :P

tl;dr Mirena IUD: No cramps, very light to almost no period, don't have to remember to take a pill, good for 5 years, not noticed any real lasting side effects (and side effects seem to be quite uncommon with this one).

Return to “General”