[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Amie

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Amie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Thanks guys. <3

Thank god for music.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

The next session for Ju-jitsu for beginners at the community activity center is November 1st. Woman Thread, please hold me accountable for this and MAKE ME SIGN UP.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

Yes, I really want to see some ju-jitsu from you podbay! It's imperative if you're to be the WT action hero!

!!!
Rice Puddin.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

Dear Women Thread,
It has been about 6 weeks since I started capoeira after it was mentioned here.
The other day I saw my arm in the mirror before I jumped into the shower.
There was a little bump on it.
Curious, I poked it and it was hard but not like an abscess.
I soon realized....
Spoiler:
I HAVE BABY BICEPS!

I also have screwed up wrists especially my right one from starting to do queda de rins and just going into a negachiva last night at class I collapsed on it but that's ok! (luckily the instructor seems to know everything about everything and just wrapped it up and told me what to do for it when I got home so it is feeling better today)

So thank you, I am having a ball! It's a blast! I'm sure once it's done destroying parts of my body that I'm not used ot using how I need to use them now, it'll be even better! :D
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

Woman Thread, I have a question for those of you who have IUDs! I am getting one at the beginning of next month and I'd like to know what to expect. If people could tell me what kind they have and what their experiences have been with them, that would be so very amazing. I'm a little nervous!
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

Copper or Mierna?

I got the Mierna.

For me, I ended up with my appointment not during Shark Week. They say to come in during Shark Week as your cervix is more relaxed. But this was ok. I was used to horrible in-my-bed-cant-=get-up cramps, and putting that at a 10 on s 1-10 pain scale, the cramps I got after it was in rollercoastered for about 2-3 days from a 0 (nothing) to maybe a 4 (painful, but able to fully function and readily controllable with otc painkillers). For about the next month when I was walking up and down stairs, after about 2 flights I would get a painful twisty sort of cringing pain in my abdomen area but it would cease within 5 minutes of not climbing more stairs.

The insertion was perfectly fine. I felt tightness during the process at random points, but my gyno told me when to breath out deeply, and that always relaxed the tightness. So if you feel tight/soreness, breath deeply (with your tummy muscles, not just chest out and in, like yoga breathing or something) and that seems to relax that feeling.

That was as bad as it was...nothing at all really. Especially compaired to what I delt with for 10-12 days every freaking month.

Now, one thing mine did that I don't think anyone else had here was she did give me a lidocane injection. Now, there are barly any pain sensors in the cervix, pain is caused by the muscles tightening and such not the cervix itself. So while it may sound totally scary to have that, it basically was a pinch for a second and that was all. Like, I barely knew it happened. And what the lidocane does is relax everything so it /doesn't/ cramp up and hurt so it works as a painkiller in a roundabout way. I'd recommend requesting it, everyone I've talked to seemed to experience a lot more cramping and pain then I ever did, but as far as Iknow, I'm the only one who had the lidocane! With something like that being a different factor, I would totally say it did it's job.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

I have a copper IUD, which I've had for about 9 months now I think. The insertion was really smooth (though the doctor did comment on how smoothly it went, and said she wished they were all that easy, so I am probably not a typical experience) despite my terror going in (I really don't like doctors much). I think the main thing was making myself relax, though. There were a couple of sharp crampy pains during insertion, and then I was a bit crampy the rest of the day and a bit of the next, but it was all pretty easy and not bad at all. Since I've had it Shark Week has definitely been heavier, which is fine for me because mine was pretty light to begin with. It used to be virtually painless, with one day slightly crampy, and now that one day is just worse -- sometimes means I need to take painkillers, but normally will just be one or two sudden sharp pains that annoy me more than anything else. I can pretty much still function normally, though I do sometimes use it as an excuse to have a lazy day...

Overall very happy with it, though, especially the fact it's still over 9 years before I need to worry about getting it changed!
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Yes, I really want to see some ju-jitsu from you podbay! It's imperative if you're to be the WT action hero!

!!!

I can be the newest member to Sungura and crowey's XKCD Angels! *poses*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

I have the Mirena. The insertion wasn't painful for me, which the nurse said was weird as most people have the worst time with that. Afterward I was dizzy for about an hour, and when I left I was nauseated for the next day. I also had horrible cramps (about twice as bad as my normal ones) for about three days. Beyond that I was fine, except some spotting for the next month. I still got Shark Week for the next 3 months, but it was really light, and now I don't get it at all anymore (or if I do it's so light that I don't even need a liner).
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
Rinsaikeru wrote:Yes, I really want to see some ju-jitsu from you podbay! It's imperative if you're to be the WT action hero!

!!!

I can be the newest member to Sungura and crowey's XKCD Angels! *poses*

WOO!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

I had my copper one inserted a couple years ago. The sounding and insertion did not hurt, but were uncomfortable for a bit. I did not have any cramping really. So while most people have pain it might not happen. Shark Week has been fairly regular but I am in my late 20's so there is that.

I check the strings every once in a while. One time it was hurting and I felt around to find it had twisted itself a bit and was now poking me (this was fixed pretty quickly with me softly rubbing at it from the inside and using my yoga ball).

I love it. Best birth control ever. My female offspring will know of them from step 1 of birth control.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

I got my copper IUD three weeks ago. I had been bleeding lightly on the mini-pill for about three weeks before that, and the doctor said he could insert it right then or if I wanted I could wait, but I should go off the mini-pill because it was not working. I said to do it right then, and after he warned me about 5 times that the insertion might not work he finally got to work. I got an anti-cramp medicine about 10 minutes before and a second one to take home, as well as a prescription for more of those and something against anxiety, but I didn't need any of that.

The insertion was pretty much painless but it started twinging about half an hour later. The next day I started bleeding "properly" but it hurt less than my periods before. I haven't had a period since the insetion so I don't know if it will hurt less or more or stay the same.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

I've always heard from my doctors that they don't recommend IUDs for people who haven't had children yet, I think this is the first time I've heard of childless people having them. Unless the posters here do have children? I'd be very interested in having one if I could, I'm not planning on having any children for at least several years.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

Lots of doctors will say they shouldn't be used by women who haven't had children. It's nonsense though. They just don't anticipate that women might have actually thought and decided about what they'd like their uterus to be doing..
Rice Puddin.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Most people I know with IUDs are child free. They seem to not tell everyone about it, but it is an okay thing to do.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

I don't have kids and I got my IUD just fine, though I had to switch doctors. I went to one in june who reacted to my negative experiences with 3 different brands of pill by prescribing a different one and told me to come back during Shark Week, which I found rather stupid because she's always booked out for weeks in advance and I cannot predict Shark Week at all. When I was back in town in september, I went to a doctor a friend of mine goes to, even though she had warned me that he tries to sell you useless crap - I know how to say no to useless crap. So he told me that the pill the other doctor hat prescribed was not working at all, and that it doesn't work for about half the women given it - yeah safe contraceptive. I told him about my problems with the other pills and my family history of hormone-affected cancers and he said if I really really want it he'd give me an IUD, but I shouldn't say he didn't warn me if I don't like it.

I think the thing with childless and/or younger people getting IUDs is that some uteri are too small for the standard IUDs, and they don't like to order special ones. The cynic in me says that they also want to see you every few months for a new pill-prescription or depo shot (which is what both doctors mentioned above tried to talk me into). Another thing is that at least in europe they aren't that common, not every doctor is prepared to put them in due to lack of experience.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I was quite lucky in that the doctor I saw to get mine is a really big fan of IUDs. She said that she thinks they're a really great contraception and that it's been great to see more students going for that option recently. She was really positive and didn't question my decision at all, just made sure I had all the facts, which was wonderful, given my hatred of doctors...I really would have struggled to go through with it if I'd spoken to someone who was against the idea in any way.

As far as I'm concerned, it's about as good as contraception gets -- lasts for 10 years, nothing to be remembered on my end, no hormones to mess with me.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:54 am UTC

My experience with the Paragard IUD was not great. I had it for about 5 months, during which my periods lasted 7-10 days instead of 4-5, the cramps were substantially worse (they dropped me to my knees), the flow was substantially heavier, and I also got random non-sharkweek cramps at random times during the month. I had pretty constant abdominal discomfort that felt kind of like a UTI. When I got it taken out, I felt pretty much instant relief.
Everyone else seems to give rave reviews, though, and I think I may have just endured the discomfort if I didn't have to get it removed in order to get hormonal birth control (Planned Parenthood wouldn't let me have both)...because birth control you don't have to worry about for 10 years is pretty great.
Last edited by PictureSarah on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:47 am UTC

I also have a Paragard, got it inserted in March so it's just been 6 months. It's definitely changed my flow, I used to have one day of heavy-ish bleeding, two-ish days of medium and then 3-4 of just needing to use a liner. With really minimal clottiness.
Now it's still the same length, but it's usually two days of being really light, then one day where it's heavy and clotty, and then tapers off to just drips by day 5-6. My cramps are also definitely less, since I've had it there hasn't been one month where I've needed/wanted to take an ibuprofen, whereas before every 3-4 months I'd be laid out with pretty severe cramps.
I don't think the volume has changed so much as the distribution, and that a lot more of what comes out is in clot form (maybe clot is the wrong word? They're not dangerous - I've asked my gyno - but one of the main reasons I've been trying* to order a cup is because tampons don't do so well with clots/clumps).

And my insertion was a little different, since I had an unexpected/unwanted surprise when I went to get the IUD inserted. Details under spoiler.
Spoiler:
My insertion appointment was at a Planned Parenthood, and pee test is standard. So waiting post-peeing-in-a-cup, instead of being brought into an appointment room, I got brought into a counseling room. And the counselor told me I was pregnant, which meant getting an IUD wasn't possible. I was thankfully able to get an appointment for a dual termination & insertion for the following week, but I pretty much walked around in shock the rest of the day.
So after the insertion&abortion, I had light bleeding/spotting for about two week, but absolutely no cramping. I was also put under for the procedures, because I don't do well with local/topical anesthesia, so that could have left everything relaxed enough to eliminate all cramping.

Especially after that, the idea of a birth control I don't have to do anything about for the next 10-12 years is amazing. I also went Paragard instead of Mirena because I had had problems with the NuvaRing - way lowered my sex drive, way lowered how wet I'd get - even though 12 hours of light spotting and no needing to remember to take a pill were fantastic.

*I'm not in the States right now, and my US bank in it's infinite wisdom has de-activated my debit card TWICE.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:40 am UTC

I don't use any kind of birth control as I'm celibate but it's such a relief to me to hear of people talking about ways other than the pill. I was on a few different types of the pill in my early teens as Shark Week cramps were so bad and the pill can help regulate that, and for that it worked perfectly, but after a few months they started giving me really bad migranes. Went back to my doctor - who is awesome, by the way - and she said she'd have to take me off it straight away as in rare cases that could lead to a blood clot in the brain and with my medical history she was not willing to risk it. It sucked at first but thankfully my periods seem to have settled down by themselves now to one bad crampy day then normality, but for ages I assumed pills and condoms were the only kind of contraception and so when I got married I was going to end up with ten million children! As I am neither Maria von Trapp nor Orthodox Catholic that does not appeal to me.

EDIT: Also, hearing you guys talking about prices makes me so grateful for the NHS. I dread to think how much my illness and aftermath would have cost if I were American. I mean, my hearing aids are some of the best available and the NHS basically just gave them to me and said 'Ok, off you go and play now' without mentioning how expensive they were. I got a shock when I looked it up and realised how much my ears cost!
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

Insurance in the US is... fun. Before I graduated from university, and therefore aged off my dad's insurance policy, I had amazinnnnnnnng coverage. Co-pays for most things were under $25, most types of medicine (including BC) was under $10 for a 90-day supply, and I paid almost nothing for dental and eye care - I'm incredibly near-sighted with a terrible astigmatism. But my dad works for NYS, so was eligible for state-employee insurance. Something like $200/month for 4 people, with almost everything covered.

Off the insurance, though, paying for all that stuff out-of-pocket is rough.

Also, I'd like to propose a new WT topic header: Woman Thread: More Useful than Your School's Health Class... because it seems to be true.

meridian

Postby meridian » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

I grew up without health insurance. Parents just couldn't afford it. Now, I find myself struggling to find the motivation for having it. I don't generally have health issues but neglect to do check ups. I think I take my dog to the vet more. I'm going to get dinged on my taxes this year when it comes up - thank you, Massachusetts - but I still can't bring myself to pay for it.

On a lighter note, I tested today and went from being a notice in karate to being a beginner! Yay, yellow stripe!
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

Health insurance is one of those things that you don't really appreciate until you need it. It's certainly a risk-vs-reward scenario; you're investing money against the chance that you might have a major healthcare expense.

I conveniently don't have to make the decision, since my work provides full benefits, but for those who don't get it through work, it's just a choice to be made like any other. I'd probably have it even if I had to pay for it; the peace of mind if nothing else is worth it to me.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

As much as the Canadian health care system can suck -- and yes, it can -- it does have basic care more or less worked out. Everyone has to buy basic insurance, maximum $57 per month right now (in BC) and usually covered if you're employed full time. Kids are covered under their folks and people with low income pay less (it comes down as low as $5-10/mo or even less, I think, if you're flat broke).

GP and clinic visits are covered, psychiatrists, some specialists, lab tests, X-rays, the CT scan on my neck, medically required surgery and hospital stay, emergency room visits, that sort of thing. Not covered: dentists and their stuff, orthotics, glasses and eye exams, physiotherapy, psychologists and social workers, and prescription drugs (though there's apparently a yearly cap based on your income -- I've never hit it despite being on three or four different daily meds >.<).

If you work full time, you'll usually have extended insurance that covers at least part of the "not included" list at a lower rate than you'd pay if you got the insurance on your own. After leaving employment-by-others, I tried to continue the extended health on my own. I paid through the nose (~$1000 per year) for coverage that basically rejected every single thing as a pre-existing condition (despite none of those conditions existing before the original start of coverage with the employer). Since my not-included expenses usually aren't over $1k/yr, I don't bother anymore. If I get back on someone's payroll one day, I'll probably get coverage again that will start paying for my (now) pre-existing stuff after 6 months or 2 years, depending on the deal.

tl;dr: Canadian health care is kinda meh, except the basic coverage which works pretty well. Yay for being a Canuck, sometimes.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

As a young single American female, I pay health insurance out of 24 checks a year, at $77.95 per check. Works out to annual fee of $1870.80, which is still less than 1 emergency room visit (back when I had a kidney stone). It's pretty good insurance. It's PPO, not HMO. It'd be nice to have that extra cash, of course, but I'm not willing to risk it because of potential future denials from "pre-existing conditions".
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

Another Canadian here, I pay $80/month health insurance for a rather basic plan, $40/month for a prescription plan, and up until a couple years ago when they stopped collecting it another $50/month provincial insurance (Alberta).
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:43 am UTC

All of this makes Australian Health Care seem ridiculously simple. We have some of the best from what I have heard and it actually works!

We have the government run scheme which gives money back on a whole bunch of basic things like doctors visits. We then have our Health Insurance which we pay for separately through a private company. There are heaps of good ones around. None of it is funded by an employer and as far as I know, it rarely is. Our family has Top Cover which means we pay the most, but with the four-six of us currently covered by it, all of us have health problems, it is ridiculously worth it.

So the way it works is that we pay a certain amount of money every month and in turn, we get an amount of money designated to particular treatments for each year. Let's take optical as an example, I get $300 a year for that. Anything over I have to pay for, but up to $300, I don't. I use that $300 every year because my eyes need new glasses every year, but for the last set I got (whole new set and lenses in my prescription sunglasses), I had to pay about $50. Same kind of system works for things like chiropractic (although they cover about half of every appointment, so it still works out cheaper), dental etc etc.

The appointments for getting eyes check, teeth checked etc are all handled by the government health care and in most cases you don't pay anything for those.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

meridian

Postby meridian » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Oh, I had it for a while, paying $120 something a month through my temp agency. When they couldn't get me full time work, I didn't have much of anything to subtract from when it came out of my paycheck. When I started owing them money and not getting anything from paychecks when I did work, I had to stop. The $120 was about half of what I would have paid if I was doing it by myself - though I've been told there are cheaper ways to do it. I just haven't looked into it.

Yeah, peace of mind is nice, but I literally can't afford it right now. The state has some sort of health care for those who can't afford it, so I will look into that if I actually need it. I have been too wrapped up in trying to find a home, move into the home and clean that home to do much of anything else lately. Still kind of feel stuck in transition with work and living situations and hate adding anything else to that stress load.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:09 am UTC

meridian wrote:Oh, I had it for a while, paying $120 something a month through my temp agency. When they couldn't get me full time work, I didn't have much of anything to subtract from when it came out of my paycheck. When I started owing them money and not getting anything from paychecks when I did work, I had to stop. The $120 was about half of what I would have paid if I was doing it by myself - though I've been told there are cheaper ways to do it. I just haven't looked into it.

Yeah, peace of mind is nice, but I literally can't afford it right now. The state has some sort of health care for those who can't afford it, so I will look into that if I actually need it. I have been too wrapped up in trying to find a home, move into the home and clean that home to do much of anything else lately. Still kind of feel stuck in transition with work and living situations and hate adding anything else to that stress load.

I can definitely sympathize - things get tougher if you don't have a steady job. Best of luck in acquiring a more stable situation.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 am UTC

I pay $219/month out of my paycheck for medical and dental insurance for myself and my husband. In October it's increasing to about $250/month. I'm not going to complain too much, because the peace of mind is worth it for me...but just barely. It would be a REALLY good deal if we had kids, because I'd pay the exact same amount for coverage no matter how many dependents I had, and my employer pays the rest of the cost of the plan, so the total is close to $900/month. It's pretty decent coverage, as well, although finding an allergist within 500 miles of me who took my plan proved to be incredibly vexing, and I had to pay a few hundred dollars for testing that my insurance didn't cover.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

I just found out that a magnesium deficiency can contribute to all kinds of womanly pains. Including but probably not limited to:

longer and more painful/bloodier periods
migraine
muscle pain
muscle twitches (both involuntary and restless-leg type)
fibromyalgia

I'm supplementing mg now because of tmj pain, with jaw swelling/spasm. It felt a bit better within about 30 minutes since mg has minor muscle relaxant properties. Just putting the word out since I had never heard of magnesium outside of a chemlab before.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

I would be wary of Mg as a supplement, not because it's particularly harmful but because it gets pushed as a magical cure-all by woo-merchants. I'm not saying it doesn't fix those things, but... well, placebo effect is strong and people use it to con people out of money :|

(I've been following major drama of a Dr getting hauled over the GMC coals for prescribing magnesium to treat CFS/ME, heart failure and a whole raft of other diseases, desipte there being very little/no evidence that this does anything good for the patient, so now I have serious Magnesium=rubbish triggers :oops: :roll: )

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

It is helpful if you are actually deficient. I'm sure your doctor can say if you really are or not.

But, on the same vein, there are times placebo effect is stronger than the drug itself, so if you think it's working for something like a migraine or monthly cramping, no harm in taking it. Taking it to "cure" all kinds of diseases not a good idea though, of course.

Just my 2 cents.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 am UTC

crowey wrote:I would be wary of Mg as a supplement, not because it's particularly harmful but because it gets pushed as a magical cure-all by woo-merchants. I'm not saying it doesn't fix those things, but... well, placebo effect is strong and people use it to con people out of money :|

(I've been following major drama of a Dr getting hauled over the GMC coals for prescribing magnesium to treat CFS/ME, heart failure and a whole raft of other diseases, desipte there being very little/no evidence that this does anything good for the patient, so now I have serious Magnesium=rubbish triggers :oops: :roll: )

I don't have Magnesium stocks or anything like that. I have no financial interest in making anyone buy it. I just bought a 200 pill (=200 day) supply at Walgreens for $8. If I was going to try to con someone out of something, I'd go for more expensive snake oil than $14.60 a year.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I don't think crowey was suggesting you had financial interest in it. Just that it's maybe not for everyone and that she's heard some stuff that goes against your reccomendation. She even said that her strong reaction may have been triggered by the doctor prescribing it to patients.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Meaty, I didn't mean to suggest that you were pushing it to make $$$, more that some people trying to sell it and a some websites that reccomend it for treating [ailment] are doing so to make money, not because they actually care if you get better. So what I meant was more that your sources suggesting Mg is good for X might be misleading you.
And like Sungura said, if you're not deficient in a mineral or vitamin, there's little/no benefit beyond placebo, but if there's no bad side effects, for $15 a year a placebo isn't so bad.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:57 am UTC

Teapot wrote:I don't think crowey was suggesting you had financial interest in it. Just that it's maybe not for everyone and that she's heard some stuff that goes against your reccomendation. She even said that her strong reaction may have been triggered by the doctor prescribing it to patients.

I don't know anything about prescription magnesium, or even why it would be necessary when a pure mg dosage is controllable by # of pills, and taking more than 100% dv is just going to get peed out anyway (maybe for intravenous use instead of pill form? I'm no doctor).

I just wanted to clarify it doesn't have to be expensive to supplement with mg.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

I just want to point out that it apparently is possible to have excess magnesium intake - but only from supplements. I don't know how much Mg is in the supplements you're taking, but as long as you're taking less than the appropriate number in that table, (350mg/day for anyone over 9 years) it shouldn't be a problem.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Gas for the hour-long drive to court: $10
Iced latte to take the edge off the nerves: $3.15
Getting to tell your orange-clad chained attacker (who also happens to be your soon-to-be-ex-husband) exactly how he hurt you and what you think should be done to him in return while nearby criminals express disgust at his actions: Priceless.

Victim impact statements FTW. (Well... all things considered.)

Return to “General”