[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby crowey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 am UTC

no baby YAY! Really glad that worked out in a good way.
I hope the hormonal stuff gets sorted soon *hug*

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:37 am UTC

I'm so happy for you, Amie, and I hope everything in your future goes well.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 am UTC

:D Thank you all. God, my thank you's have become redundant but I really don't know what else to say =) All of you are wonderful people. I couldn't have had this kind of support in real life.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

Total topic change, sorry.
Is there any reason why a cup (I forget the brand it is) that was working and was starting to become my best friend during Shark Week decides to stop working? It's popping open, it's suctioning, as far as I can tell it is in the right place. I haven't changed technique at all with it's use. Shark week started yesterday though and I have yet to get it to not leak. It's more of a mess than tampons or pads are at this point. And I'm having to wear a hunk of a pad because it just leaks! It's not even full, so I know it's not that. In the past I had slight issue with leakage on the first few days/nights, but that was just a dribbling because it would overflow. I figured out my flow for cup usage and it's not been a problem. I have no clue why it's not working.

The only thing I've noticed different is it is sitting a LOT lower. but if try to push it up higher, it HURTS Oh me yarm SO BAD. (I think it pushes it into my cervix?) Oh, and that's the other thing, it's hurting a lot more going in and out and even just sitting in there. This tells me /something/ is not right, but what, I don't know! I've not changed a thing. I'm just sitting here and I can feel "something inside me pushing on things and it is sore". I don't get it. Help me, women thread!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

Maybe your cervix is lower this month than it was last month. (Yes, that can happen.) I had serious cervix issues when I first started using the cup. I've heard the cervix described as feeling a little like a nose. Since you are on Shark Week, you'll probably be able to feel the hole in the middle: it will probably feel a little like a small doughnut. What is probably happening is the cup is sitting up against your cervix, instead of under it, and so the cervix is dripping past your cup, and the cup pressing against your cervix is hurting you. I've found that I have to run my finger carefully around the edge of my cup, not so much to make sure it's open but to make sure that my cervix isn't peeking out. If it is, I either just pull the cup out a little farther, or pinch it and take it all of the way out to try again. I have trouble getting my finger all of the way up to the lip of the cup sometimes, so I try to pull my cup down to where I can reach it. This has worked almost perfectly, although I have missed my cervix peeking out a few times.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

I'll try that i guess...it was prettymuch what I was doing, I got it popped open, spun it around a bit and nudged into place, and that's all. For some reason this week that hurts and it's leaking all over the place.
(also, wordfilter in my last post, haha, I didn't write gee willikers!)

Edit for more info: My cervix is not any lower than it has been before. My cervix is normally pretty low - I can reach it with my finger during non-shark-week even (measuring my finger, this makes it about 7 cm up). During shark week it's about 4-5 cm depending on the day. Nothing about that has changed. That's what is so weird - it is so close it is easy to feel and make sure the cup is in the proper place. So why the big issue? And why the pain? I am posting this from school, I couldn't mess with the cup going wonkers on me in the middle of a 4 hour class earlier, so I gave up and I'm on tampons but those are killing me too this month, something does NOT want to be touched AT ALL this week. I'm going to have to stop by and get a bunch of pads on my way home I think. Argh. *rants*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

In the first few months I used the Diva cup, I had one month where getting the cup to pop properly was a very difficult task. It took several tries--the result of this was that I really sensitized the area and it was a bit painful. (I mean it was taking 7 tries to get the cup popped and in place, in an area that's sensitive to begin with). It could be something to that order regarding the sensitivity--and the tampon would be irritating in the same way. Might not be your issue at all, and I'm still not sure what caused that month to be so difficult, but maybe give yourself a break for a bit and try again.
Rice Puddin.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

Sometimes things are just more sensitive. Hormones and things. Stress can make things more painful.

I think pads might just be the only way to go this month. Giving your insides a bit of alone time is sometimes all they need to start behaving again.

*hug*
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:41 am UTC

*hug* thanks guys. I did get pads and used those for the whole afternoon. I got so tired of them quickly I forgot how messy they are. :x (Seriously, how can people think cups are gross and messy and not pads?) I decided to go back to the cup and I guess an afternoon was enough? It wasn't so sore that I couldn't ignore it and it was little enough to be "worth it" to wear the icky pads. *shrugs* I still have no clue why last night and this morning was so bad. My only thought I came up with just now is maybe since I have been sick, and yesterday/last night I was coughing a lot and since I was tightening up my core muscles maybe I was tightening others too and making it bump into things and be generally irritating. And maybe all the coughing bounced it out of place too causing leakage? this is my best guess, I guess.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Sungura, I've never heard of these things! *worries* I doubt if there are cups available at all in India. I've never seen one advertised. Feel better soon. *Huggles*

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

*huggles Amie* even if they aren't available, you could order one. There is only one brand I could find in the US - the diva cup. I looked at sizing of them, and being a virgin with an intact hymen (well, it was, I've managed to rip it since using the cup, oowwww but oh well) I wanted to get the smallest one possible. There are different shapes to the body of the cup, different sizes, and even the different sizes between the different companies are different. Some are longer, some are fatter, etc. Some have lower holes (to break suction when pulling out) than others, lower holes = less compacity. I ended up getting a Lady Cup and a MeLuna - both smalls. They don't have those here, so I ordered online from http://www.femininewear.co.uk/ it was a good site and the customer service was great. They ship international. All you need is a credit card to order it. I can't find the great comparison site one of the ladies here sent me to, maybe they can re-post. It compared all the brands, you could look at their charts by shape, compacity, width or length. I know I'm pretty short, so the larger cups that get long won't work, and I'm still very small, so I wouldn't want to go any wider than what I have. There is also a great YouTube video of the different folds to get it in...I don't have that link anymore either. I love it that I'm not going through tampons or pads, and it's so quick to go to the bathroom - just like normal! I empty it in the morning when I get up, and then at night in the shower when I take one. Heavy days I empty mid-day too. Anyway, yeah I think I have mine working again. It leaked on me overnight but this month my flow seems heavier, I think I might need to get a bigger one somehow. I'm looking into that, and that way too I won't have to empty mid-day on the first few days of Shark Week too.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

The only places I've seen menstrual cups advertised are 1) emails from a company that makes reusable cloth pads and also sells cups and 2) handmade flyers stuck up all around my hippie college about ten years ago. Just because they aren't advertised doesn't mean they don't exist: they are a niche item. They are getting more popular in the US, and showing up in environmentally-themed grocery stores, but most people simply order them online. That's what I did. This thread is the place I've seen the most about cups, and it's what finally convinced me to buy one.

There is a livejournal community dedicated to menstrual cups, which includes the size chart Sungura referenced.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

They also get advertised on Facebook from time to time (at least in the UK).
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Yeah, I didn't know about them until joining this thread. In the year or two I've been here there have been a couple of converts. I finally tried them. I was really worried about it, I had to work up to trying them using tampons first being terrified to put anything in me but the rashy-like breakouts I kept getting no matter what pads I tried made me give in. (Oh, and yeah, I was talking to Girl and she suggested to me to get the organic cotton ones from stores like Whole Foods - I now have some of those, and I didn't have any troubles yesterday, just throwing that out there in case others have that problem).

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

Ordering something here = pain in the butt. The shipping costs might be higher than the rates of the actual products O.o I'll stick to sanitary pads for now. :x

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:24 am UTC

Don't give up so quickly! The SheCup is made in India, so should be easier for you to get hold of. It was mentioned in the link Enuja provided. Here is the company's contact details, and here is a detailed review.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

crowey

Postby crowey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:31 am UTC

or failing that, I'm happy to buy one here and post it over, you're in India, right? royal mail says it's only a couple of pounds to send a small package by airmail (surface mail is cheaper, but it takes 2 months to arrive :shock: ).
I don't know if the exchange rate makes it unaffordable, but the offer's there if you want :)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 am UTC

While we are on cups...decided to spoiler 'cause I got really rambly.
Spoiler:
I've been looking at them and I can't find one...I'd like a higher compasity than the small MeLuna but not any longer than the 40mm - or at least no more than like, 43mm - and not much larger either. I know MeLuna has the med which is 45 x 45 but I think 45 is too long and I'm worried about that extra 5mm width too. Grah. Ideas? I mean, I'm leaking again - second time leaking this shark week, I've never had leaking problems like this. I am defintly wide enough inside - and I got brave and was able to get a finger up there with the cup in :shock: I think I might have stretched some with using the cup because I remember a year ago and a light tampon was too big in diameter haha. Annnnnyway so my brave exploration came up with that it actually doesn't seem like the MeLuna fits all the way around my cervix so I think because I'm coughing I'm just jarring it out of place a lot. That's my best idea. I mean, the way I understand it is that since the cervix moves down the cup fits "around" it. If it just sits in front and doesn't really cover it, duh it'd be leaky, which means I should try something wider (eeps, I'm just getting to be used to the pain of pulling this one out so I'm very shy about that idea but I've come this far, right?) but I know I really can't go longer. But I don't see any cups that are like 45 x 40. And maybe I am stretching myself out and when I was smaller everything was tight enough to hold the too-small-cup in place anyway but now that I'm more relaxed with it and tihngs are more stretched out it moves around more easily? Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 am UTC

lol, you guys finally inspired me to order one ( I may have been lurking in this thread too long)...

Spoiler:
Because; I can't hack tampons - icky dry grabby nasty bitey things, and I'm old enough that I really should be over it (mid twenties - *shame*). So currently on pads, but these sound good. I.e not absorbant. Never seen ( or heard) of them here either (australia), but I think they may only be around in obscure places (ie not the local chemist or supermarket). Have others switched for that reason.

About to order - was going to get lunette from their aus website - but $60AUD! Yikes. Thanks for the link to the UK site sungura - they don't have the lunette, but I can get the MeLuna for 12+3 pounds+postage - $25AUD I can afford to waste on an experiment. I like the idea of the ball end, and they're pretty colours :).

namaize

Postby namaize » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:While we are on cups...decided to spoiler 'cause I got really rambly.
Spoiler:
I've been looking at them and I can't find one...I'd like a higher compasity than the small MeLuna but not any longer than the 40mm - or at least no more than like, 43mm - and not much larger either. I know MeLuna has the med which is 45 x 45 but I think 45 is too long and I'm worried about that extra 5mm width too. Grah. Ideas? I mean, I'm leaking again - second time leaking this shark week, I've never had leaking problems like this. I am defintly wide enough inside - and I got brave and was able to get a finger up there with the cup in :shock: I think I might have stretched some with using the cup because I remember a year ago and a light tampon was too big in diameter haha. Annnnnyway so my brave exploration came up with that it actually doesn't seem like the MeLuna fits all the way around my cervix so I think because I'm coughing I'm just jarring it out of place a lot. That's my best idea. I mean, the way I understand it is that since the cervix moves down the cup fits "around" it. If it just sits in front and doesn't really cover it, duh it'd be leaky, which means I should try something wider (eeps, I'm just getting to be used to the pain of pulling this one out so I'm very shy about that idea but I've come this far, right?) but I know I really can't go longer. But I don't see any cups that are like 45 x 40. And maybe I am stretching myself out and when I was smaller everything was tight enough to hold the too-small-cup in place anyway but now that I'm more relaxed with it and tihngs are more stretched out it moves around more easily? Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

From a cup user...
Spoiler:
Leaking: probably want something slightly larger. If it doesn't fit around your cervix (or just fits, so your cervix is filling it), there might not be much room left for blood. Could also be that Melunas are more stiff so they don't conform to your body as much (I've never felt one, so I wouldn't know). Also, small Melunas are CRAZY small. Smaller than the small LadyCup even, and that was the tiniest on the market for a while (for small with high capacity, go for the small Lunette--but if you're having problems with the Meluna, you might think it's too big). Small LadyCups are 40x46, and I had no problems with the length. You can of course cut off the stem, though the LadyCups are so slippery it seems they'd be hard to get out--Lunettes have grip rings, though, which helps a lot. If you really can't go longer though, small Meluna is your only hope. It's the shortest on the market by a long shot. Maybe you should look for Insteads instead?

Removal: should not be painful. Are you sure you're breaking the seal? You don't need to get a finger way up in there, but make sure you pinch the base to break suction

Stretching: it's all muscle! You're just learning to relax the muscles there. If you're worried about it, do Kegels :)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

namaize wrote:
Sungura wrote:While we are on cups...decided to spoiler 'cause I got really rambly.
Spoiler:

From a cup user...
Spoiler:
Leaking: probably want something slightly larger. If it doesn't fit around your cervix (or just fits, so your cervix is filling it), there might not be much room left for blood. Could also be that Melunas are more stiff so they don't conform to your body as much (I've never felt one, so I wouldn't know). Also, small Melunas are CRAZY small. Smaller than the small LadyCup even, and that was the tiniest on the market for a while (for small with high capacity, go for the small Lunette--but if you're having problems with the Meluna, you might think it's too big). Small LadyCups are 40x46, and I had no problems with the length. You can of course cut off the stem, though the LadyCups are so slippery it seems they'd be hard to get out--Lunettes have grip rings, though, which helps a lot. If you really can't go longer though, small Meluna is your only hope. It's the shortest on the market by a long shot. Maybe you should look for Insteads instead?

Removal: should not be painful. Are you sure you're breaking the seal? You don't need to get a finger way up in there, but make sure you pinch the base to break suction

Stretching: it's all muscle! You're just learning to relax the muscles there. If you're worried about it, do Kegels :)

Spoiler:
I have a small Ladycup that is the one I bought thinking it would be best for me. It is too long. The bottom of it sticks out and we aren't even talking about the stem - the bottom of the cup pushes on my ladybits there and is slightly outside. The small Meluna as it is the loop sticks out a bit but not too much so it's ok. I guess maybe I will try a medium Meluna with the ball end so it's round if it sticks out. The Ladycup *almost* fits it is all the stem and just a bit of the base that is too long, and the MeLuna is a whopping 1mm shorter but the shape is different so maybe that'd help some.

Removal: yes I'm breaking the seal - it is the "lip" of the rim that catches on what is left of my hymen (first time pulling it out full I half-ripped it - that was fun for a week of pain I didn't use a cup the rest of that one! Whoever said it only hurts "for a few minutes" or "at most a day" LIES or at least, for me. Took me over a week before I could even wear jeans again.) and that just kills. But it's been hurting less and less as I use it so it's probably stretching naturally how it's supposed to at this point. Maybe enough to try something 5mm wider?

namaize

Postby namaize » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
Spoiler:
I have a small Ladycup that is the one I bought thinking it would be best for me. It is too long. The bottom of it sticks out and we aren't even talking about the stem - the bottom of the cup pushes on my ladybits there and is slightly outside. The small Meluna as it is the loop sticks out a bit but not too much so it's ok. I guess maybe I will try a medium Meluna with the ball end so it's round if it sticks out. The Ladycup *almost* fits it is all the stem and just a bit of the base that is too long, and the MeLuna is a whopping 1mm shorter but the shape is different so maybe that'd help some.

Removal: yes I'm breaking the seal - it is the "lip" of the rim that catches on what is left of my hymen (first time pulling it out full I half-ripped it - that was fun for a week of pain I didn't use a cup the rest of that one! Whoever said it only hurts "for a few minutes" or "at most a day" LIES or at least, for me. Took me over a week before I could even wear jeans again.) and that just kills. But it's been hurting less and less as I use it so it's probably stretching naturally how it's supposed to at this point. Maybe enough to try something 5mm wider?

Spoiler:
As long as you have a LadyCup, you may as well try it again and see if it's more comfortable than you remember--isn't it about the same size as the medium Meluna? it does have a pretty thick rim though, so I see what you mean. Also, if it always sits that low, maybe you could cut off the stem and it would be more comfortable?
Are you sure you're inserting it far enough? Mine sits up past the pubic bone, which can get pretty far up about the middle of my cycle. That could be the cause of your leaking, though if you know where it is in relation to your cervix and it isn't sliding out when you walk/move, probably not.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

namaize wrote:
Sungura wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
As long as you have a LadyCup, you may as well try it again and see if it's more comfortable than you remember--isn't it about the same size as the medium Meluna? it does have a pretty thick rim though, so I see what you mean. Also, if it always sits that low, maybe you could cut off the stem and it would be more comfortable?
Are you sure you're inserting it far enough? Mine sits up past the pubic bone, which can get pretty far up about the middle of my cycle. That could be the cause of your leaking, though if you know where it is in relation to your cervix and it isn't sliding out when you walk/move, probably not.

Spoiler:
Length will still be an issue - that's not changed. What ideally I'd like is to find a cup 45mm wide by 40mm tall, but apparently that just doesn't exist. For my body though, I am 95% sure that would be ideal. I am very very very very short. The small MeLuna with the loop is what I have - the loop just barely doesn't stick out. If I cut the stem totally off the LadyCup maybe - maybe - it would work but I doubt I could get it out then very easily haha. And it still wouldn't solve the not-wide-enough-in-diameter for me problem since it is only 40mm wide just like the small MeLuna. Why don't they make a 45 wide by 40 tall? >_< I figure the medium MeLuna solves the one problem and it's the shortest for that width - others just kinda jump to being much longer and the MeLuna I can get the ball grip which is short and smooth so if it sticks out some which it likely will I'm hoping it won't poke things. Best I can do!

namaize

Postby namaize » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
Spoiler:
Why don't they make a 45 wide by 40 tall?
Spoiler:
Probably because the capacity would be pretty low. (Also, considering how far up my LadyCup moves, 40cm might be too short for a lot of people.) I imagine at 45cm your cervix would be inside the cup and displace a good deal of blood. Hence my suggestion for Insteads--I've never used them, but they look pretty shallow. Maybe wider than you'd want, but it looks like they sit somewhat differently in the vaginal canal.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

I have the Large US Moon Cup (by the same company that makes the Keeper), which is 44mm x 54mm. And my cervix gets as close as 4.5cm to the opening of my vagina when I push it out (which is different from doing Kegel exercises). To review, that's cup 5.4cm long and cervix 4.5cm from the opening. Clearly, I did not buy the ideal cup for me, but, oh well.* However, I've had no problems using the cup after I cut the stem all of the way off and got comfortable with it sitting right at the entrance to my vagina. When I defecate while the cup is in, it sure looks funny when my cup pops out really really far, but my cup returns to having the bottom just exactly at the entrance to my vagina as soon as I relax my muscles.

I'm a big fan of cutting off the stem (I made it smooth by shaving the silicon neatly with a razor blade, which, as a biology lab geek, I'm guessing you're more than capable of doing, and you might actually grab an easier-to-use scalpel). Before I did that, I got awful pinching pain (from my labia minor, I'm pretty sure), and after, the cup has been pain-free.

Sungura, since you haven't been able to have your cup and your finger inside your vagina at the same time very often, I'm guessing you haven't been able to check to make sure that your cervix is inside the cup, and it's probably just next to your cup when the cup leaks.

* I hadn't identified my cervix before I bought the Moon Cup, and I've been able to make it work. It's probably easier for me in part because I seem to have a vagina on the wide end of normal, and I can easily loosen it by relaxing the muscles you contract when you do Kegel exercises. So I've got a wide, short vagina.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

Not-related to cups, which I know nothing about:
Do you lot have any techniques for getting rid of hormonal pimples around the mouth/chin area? Washing with clearasil facewash doesn't do a thing. I'm not sure if there are other things I should or could be doing that may help? Suuposedly splashing your face with cold water closes up the pores or something? Are there any other ideas, or things that you have found to work?
Otherwise I think I'll going back on the pill. I'm a little concerned about possible relationships between being-on-pill and depression and thrush. But I'm tired of having a permanent Mt Fuji-sized pimple hanging out near my mouth. In fact today I have a scar on the left of my mouth from my last Fuji-sized pimple, a 'new' Fuji-sized pimple to the right of my mouth, a scar on my philtrum from a slightly smaller pimple and a fresh horrid looking not-quite-Fuji-sized pimple on my chin. It's like the Southern Cross constellation in ginormous pimples around my mouth. Combined with PMS that made me very rude toward a guy who'd been cleaning up the garden around our flat, then cry, be running late for work, then cry again at work, and Shark Weeks that look and feel like the Shark killed a full grown blue whale, the contraceptive pill and all its problems is looking incredibly tempting. :-/

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:43 am UTC

Oh, honestly the best thing I've found to mitigate hormonal zits is antibiotic ointment. I pop them, because that's just how I roll, but then I just put on antibiotic ointment (the sliminess ensures that I don't touch it again!) and then it heals. When I get PMS I get a lot of clogged pores around my chin and this seems to keep them down best.
This tip was brought to me originally by Sophy!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Same here - thankfully I've improved in recent years, but I used to get ginormous zits all over my face. I'd pop them, usually right before I shower, wash my face with soap and water in the shower until the bleeding stops, and afterwards dab antibiotic ointment on the wound.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 am UTC

*makes notes*

I read a PostSecret card a while back that said, "I thought there would be a magic time, after spots and before wrinkles."

>.<
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 am UTC

similarly, I find coldsore cream works really well.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 am UTC

I have some prescription Clindamycin gel (antibiotics + benzoyl peroxide) that does the trick. My doc told me that getting salicylic acid treatments (like most over-the-counter acne medicine is) for hormonal zits just dries out the skin something fierce without actually getting rid of the zits. Benzoyl peroxide works much better, and can be found at the drugstore if you read the labels. I have some teatree oil spot treatment from The Body Shop, but I'm not sure it really works as well.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:52 am UTC

How do you know if they're hormonal zits? Is it just if they show up once a month? I have pimples all the time...so are they not considered hormonal zits?

Acne confuses and frustrates me :x

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 am UTC

Wow, you guys are a wealth of information. Thanks so much! I need to go to the doc for some other prescriptions soon so will talk to them about antibiotic gels while I'm there. That stuff about benzoyl peroxide vs. salicylic acid is really interesting Sarah!

Ashlah I think all acne is probably related to hormones, although I really don't know much about acne at all. I called these hormonal specifically cause they didn't start until I stopped the pill, do get worse or around that time of the month, and occur near my mouth unlike the usual zit I still got when on the pill which would be around places I could see potentially getting a little greasy like my hairline & behind the ears or the occasional one in the crease next to my nose. I've been lucky to not have too much trouble with acne, so these guys really stand out to me as being a bit different and being related more closely somehow to the drop in estrogen and progesterone levels before Shark Week rather than just "I'm a young person with hormones pumping through me" acne.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Rant follows:

Fuck my fucking useless doctor.
No, really, thanks for telling me my Pill apparently has an increased risk of blood clots to other Pi - oh wait, that's not what you did, is it? No, you claimed the differences between different pills were usually minor. May I just say - bullshit, even the other doctor at your practice doesn't pull that, if my friend who sees her is to be believed. And then when I came to you about my leg today, you thought my description of an unusual, travelling pain that's been around for days, resembling pins and needles with an edge of ache, was vague, and told me to wait a week in case it was muscle spasms, and then you'd investigate neurological causes. You weren't even concerned by the possibility of a blot clot, even though even the pamphlet that came with the godsforsaken things told me to seek immediate medical attention if there was an ache in my calf muscles - whether or not there was a prominent vein, which you genuinely seemed to think was the only thing that would indicate the presence of a clot. (By the by, there was one - but not prominent enough, I guess?) Also, you might occasionally want to stop asking questions and just let me tell you things in the order in which they happened - perhaps then my description wouldn't be so 'vague'?

I am seeking a fucking second opinion, and I am doing it tomorrow, and I am going to a female doctor who actually has some damn experience with BC and its complications, and if I can't get to one because of Easter Tuesday, I'm going to hospital. Because frankly, I am never a hypochondriac, and right now I'm kind of terrified.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

GG, I'm glad you're going to another doctor! I'm sorry I don't know anything about these things so I don't know what to say to you. I hope you will feel better though and I fervently hope that this female doctor is good unlike the quack you went to before >.< *hugs*

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Thanks Amie :) *gratefully accepts hugs*
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

So, I just saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: a very enjoyable thriller, and well worth the price of admission. However, MASSIVE trigger warning on it. There is a rape scene. It is very... graphic. None of the reviews I saw prepared me for it.

Also, GG, I hope you're okay (especially it now being Thursday).
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Oh, I should update, shouldn't I?
It's not a clot :D
It could be any number of things, so I'm waiting and seeing, but at least it isn't that, and this doc actually bothered to explain things and reassure me about specific concerns.
(Also, yay, now I can stay on the Pill without stressing; a definite plus.)

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:It's not a clot :D

Awesome result.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

I am now reading my own post in the voice of the Governator.
GraphiteGirl wrote:IT'S NOT A TUMOUR

Return to “General”