Anyone know any legal mumbo-jumbo 'round here?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Anyone know any legal mumbo-jumbo 'round here?

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Crap. I'll make sure to get things in writing from now on.
*sigh*
What a country. You know, for a few weeks there, I actually thought Obama was gonna buckle down and stick it to big medicine, so they'd stop being able to dick us around with impugnity. But, liberals are pussies and conservatives are in the pocket of big business, so I guess that was delusional on my part.

What a country...
Yeah.. in writing, or it doesn't count.

Anyway, to answer your last bit...

That pretty much summarizes it, though the whole of it is.... holyfuckcomplicated.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

King Author wrote:*sigh*
What a country. You know, for a few weeks there, I actually thought Obama was gonna buckle down and stick it to big medicine, so they'd stop being able to dick us around with impugnity. But, liberals are pussies and conservatives are in the pocket of big business, so I guess that was delusional on my part.

What a country...

I don't think an idiot receptionist who oversteps her authority counts as "big medicine". I'm also not sure what sort of sticking it to big medicine that Obama could have done that would have helped you in this case. Should he have lowered the burden of proof for successfully suing doctors? Not only is that well outside of his authority, but it's also the worst idea ever if you want healthcare that is anywhere near affordable.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

KingAuthor. Have you heard what bullshit you're spouting?

First of all, damn, no doctors, at all?
Computers, unless so far advanced that they are able to empathise with humans, will never replace other humans, when it comes to medicine.
Headache? It could be a common illness, or it could be cancer. Takes a doctor with, you know, the ability to interpret test results to find out.

If you're going to complain about me living in the Netherlands, then don't make it serm like you're talking about *all* doctors.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

I'm sorry you had a bad time with your doctors, sounds like the receptionist really overstepped and fucked up. I hope you manage to get something worked out soon, and that whatever medical problem you have gets fixed.

That said, I think for the rest of this thread you've been an ass.
King Author wrote:Edward Jenner was a scientist, not a doctor. I could preform the injection myself if I were able to obtain the vaccine for myself.

Actually, come to think of it, can I? I wonder, do medical supply companies or whatever ever sell to citizens?

Short answer: no.
Longer answer: No way, this is why you need prescriptions to (legally) get medicine, and you can only (legally) get it from legitimate pharmacies.
If you're getting drugs to use in research (say, if you were working in biosciences at a university) you need all sorts of licencing and it's thoroughly illegal to use those drugs on people.
Smallpox vaccine in particular would be hard to get as it's a live virus and it can be exceptionally dangerous to the people around the recently vaccinated person as it can be easily transmitted, especially to any immuno-compromised people. Also that vaccine is scratched in to the skin not injected so it's quite tricky to administer correctly. Plain old intramuscular injections can be quite hard to do properly too, it takes some practice, especially if you're doing it to yourself.

I mean, doctors are pretty much obsolete now, anyway, what with Google. I've never gone to the doctor and not already known what my diagnosis was, just from Googling my symptoms. Doctors really just serve as safety measures against any old Joe getting his hands on any meds he wants; their diagnostic abilities are moot. Surgery is the only thing doctors have still really got, and they'll be replaced by robots in the future, so...I guess in the long run, things are looking up for me.

Then again, the robot surgeons will probably spontaneously develop A.I. and be total dicks, too.

I dunno, it's just...is this where we were supposed to end up? Humans, I mean. Where medicine is a privilege for the wealthy, not a right of the masses?

Other people have already said how wrong you are, but there's a reason that doctors take years and years to train up and why it's illegal to practice medicine without a licence. If one could simply google it, or look it up in a medical encyclopaedia then being a medic wouldn't be nearly such an elite profession.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:27 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:Legally, you may have a case (a verbal contract is as valid as a written one; the question is whether the receptionist has (or appears to have) the authority to negotiate it). The problem is that you'll have a hell of a time proving it in a court of law.

MiB24601 wrote:In Pennsylvania (where King Author seems to be located), to bring a suit for breach of contract, you have to attach a copy of the contract to the complaint. You can't file suit for breach of a verbal contract.

However, KA may be able to file a suit against the medical practice claiming negligent infliction of emotional distress. However, whether KA would be able to recover using that claim would really depend on the precise circumstances of KA's contact with the staff of the practice and requires knowing more specific details than what KA provided here.

King Author wrote:Crap. I'll make sure to get things in writing from now on.
*sigh*

What a country...

Considering that the suit is entirely a state matter and has absolutely nothing to do with the federal government, I have no idea why you brought Obama into this. Yes, the president campaigned heavily on his healthcare policy. It passed through congress and was signed into law. However, nothing in that healthcare policy, either what was initially proposed nor what was signed into law would change the circumstances you described so it's odd that you would bring up Obama.

King Author wrote:I dunno, it's just...is this where we were supposed to end up? Humans, I mean. Where medicine is a privilege for the wealthy, not a right of the masses?

There are several programs for medical care for people who can't afford it. There are federal programs and PA state programs. Also, hospitals are required to perform some procedures regardless of your ability to pay. You need to talk to someone about making use of these resources.

As an aside, I'm perplexed by your apparent hatred of doctors. Yes, medical care can be expensive but it's expensive to be a doctor. The training costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and the equipment needed for modern care costs millions of dollars. Additionally, as several others have pointed out in this thread, it is not an easy matter to replace a doctor with a google search. There are many procedures and tests which can only be performed by humans and results which can only be determined by humans. For example, radiology results can not be determined by computers.

I just find your hatred of doctors bewildering and I really wonder why you hate them.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Because he's King Author and he's an angsty 14 year old who thinks he knows everything.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:41 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Because he's King Author and he's an angsty 14 year old who thinks he knows everything.

I have a hard time believing a 14 year old would be in a position to be making payment plan deals with a doctor's office, though.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 am UTC

King Author from the Introduction Thread wrote:I'm Caucasian (though my ancestry is Polish and it's how I identify), male, 22 years old and I live in Pennsylvania, United States of America.

Posted that over two years ago. Is twenty-four or twenty-five.

Is sorry about your experience. Would have hated an indefinite delay of wisdom teeth removal shortly before the procedure. Imagines worse for a more serious surgery. Cannot suggest any useful solutions, unfortunately. Hopes something workable appears. Specifically, one with balloon animals, a three-piece band, no waiting, and a successful procedure. Unlikely, yes. Probably owes you a little for what happened, though. (Also, procure a band that does not play ominous or blues music. Choose upbeat compositions.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

On the internet, 14 is a state of mind.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:On the internet, 14 is a state of mind.

I am a banana!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

This. I know KingAuthor isn't actually 14.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

if 14 is a state of mind, does that make me have multiple personality disorder?
shut up you stupid kid....
no you shut up you old fogie..
stop it you are embarrasing us..
i wanna type.. .NO akljsjkfhsdjkagfbajkboabg

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

No. No it does not.

Return to “General”