Question your longheld stereotypes...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fuzzycuzzy

Question your longheld stereotypes...

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:24 am UTC

SUPER-EDIT: Inside the spoiler is a history of the original post and an edit made after it was brought to my attention that the original post may be considered offensive. This thread is about questioning a group of people about any stereotype associated with that group. For example: "Why don't men ask for directions?". (For the record, being male, I frequently ask for directions because I'm so used to being lost.) Please keep all questions appropriate and non-offensive, and most importantly, honest. Hopefully we can shed some light on things that need light... shedding... on... ya...
P.S. if you'd like to skip all the fireworks, please do not reveal the spoiler and skip right ahead to page 2, otherwise, read the whole thread (make some popcorn first)

Spoiler:
I'm only slightly fearful of opening this can of worms, but I'm going to let 'er rip. In my speech class, one of the best activities I participated in was "Why do men/women..." in which the males and females of the class split into two groups and asked each other questions about the opposite sex. What was really interesting was not the responses of the other groups, but instead the hidden perception that came through when the questions were revealed. It was a fantastic learning experience for the whole group and I'm going to attempt to recreate that here. All the questions asked were serious, and all the answers true and honest. I ask that all participants be civil in this activity. Here's how it works.

The first poster (well, me) posts the gender that they identify with (male, in this case). They then ask a respectful and honest question about their perception of the opposite sex. The next poster must identify with the opposite sex in order to answer that question, and then may or may not ask one of their own if they wish. To start:

Why is it commonly perceived that women feel less comfortable talking to their superiors (in school or the workplace) than men do?

I'm asking someone female to answer that question and then ask one of her own for a male to answer. Be respectful (oh boy, what have I done????)!

Edit: oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy

Alright, first and foremost, to everyone and anyone that I may have offended with this activity, I wholeheartedly apologize. I was much more terrified of people starting to attack each other ("why are women such b!tches?") than I was about the gender identity issue. In my defense, I did use the words "gender that they identify with" in order to be inclusive. I suppose that didn't work... I've been a straight male all my life, but I've had a lot of lesbian friends, and I'm just going to be really and truly honest here: it's hard for me to keep up with all the definitions. It's not that I don't care; it's that I don't know, and I've met very few people for whom gender identity was ever an issue. That's not to say that I haven't met any, and that is definitely not to say that I didn't respect them fully when I did meet them. Let me make one thing clear: I DO NOT understand every detail, but I DO respect. Now I know this is going to trigger comments saying :"You're disrespecting the issue by making it overcomplicated" and "if you really cared, you'd go out and learn". I feel like neither of those are true, and I'm keeping the original post for reference. In the classroom that the original activity took place in, there were only males and females. I modeled the activity after that, with the mention that posters may use whatever gender they identify with. I do feel that masculinity is opposite of femininity just as red is opposite blue on the color wheel, however, I'd like to humbly admit my faulty logic in mentioning "opposite" sexes, again apologize to anyone that might have been offended, and finally open the activity to absolutely everyone by saying that the responder simply cannot identify only with the gender of the asker. If there is anything left to be addressed, please, bring it to my attention.
Last edited by fuzzycuzzy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Aaeriele

Re: Question the opposite sex activity!

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 am UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:oh boy, what have I done????

Did you mean in addition to erasing non-binary identities?
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am UTC

well, to be fair he did say the gender that you identify with. which is at least a step in the right direction. There is also the fact that this is about examining normally unspoken gender-based assumptions, so I'm not sure where non-binary identities would even fall in an exercise like this.

You have a point, and a good one at that, but I think this is still a step in the right direction. But then again, I could quite easily be wrong.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
fuzzycuzzy wrote:oh boy, what have I done????

Did you mean in addition to erasing non-binary identities?

No, no, you address the question to the opposite gender. Cisgendered men ask cisgendered women. Transgendered Men ask Transgendered Women, Intersex ask A- genders. If you don't fit into any of those categories then tell us who you feel your opposite is in your post.

Ok, joking aside, I hope no one was offended by my post. But fuzzycuzzy is obviously trying to be sensitive to the issue by acknowledging that "gender" and "gender you identify with" are not equivalent. He's obviously just beginning his journey into learning about gender issues. I'm surprised to see such sarcasm from you Aaeriele.
Last edited by BoomFrog on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 am UTC

It's as basic as 'opposite sex' being the wrong words to use, right?

It's just, 'other genders/non-genders/whatever'.
I say 'whatever' not because I group everything else together, but because I am not educated enough in that area to use the correct word myself.

Also, why use the word erased? This wasn't a direct attack at removing anyone from anything...

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:Why is it commonly perceived that women feel less comfortable talking to their superiors (in school or the workplace) than men do?

Well, I think it's because women are socially taught to avoid confrontation and to be humble. Also, the possibility of being considered a 'bitch' when simply being more assertive than the average women is a significant turnoff. So, you probably won't see as many women pushing for raises.

Also, something I've noticed over the years is that many women tend to underestimate their abilities while men will tend to overestimate them. This can also mean talking to supervisors can be a bit daunting. I know it's very annoying when someone else sells themselves as more than they are and you're being very realistic with what you can do, and yet the person who can't live up to their promises is selected instead of you.

Ok, so a question for a man:

How come it seems that all guys have a much higher tolerance for filth and grossness? Also, how many guys do you think had to do housework growing up? (Sorry, living with some kind of gross guys right now)

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:How come it seems that all guys have a much higher tolerance for filth and grossness? Also, how many guys do you think had to do housework growing up? (Sorry, living with some kind of gross guys right now)

Speaking for myself, and from years of observation of my male friends, I think it's down to two main reasons: firstly, however unfair it is, I think male children are exempted from household cleaning chores more than female children so they are less likely to be used to, or even aware of, cleaning techniques and the need for them (a close friend of mine was 20 years old and still didn't know how to use a washing machine, though he's learned a lot since then). And secondly, males simply seem to care a lot less about the whole "having clean living areas" thing. As long as they can eat, watch tv/play games, and sleep, they're fine with everything else.

Though, of course, like I imagine most things in this thread are going to be, those are massive generalisations. I, for one, had to do as much household chores as my sisters growing up (more in some cases, as I had to do both traditionally male and female chores), and have since grown into more of a stickler for a clean house than my partner. Everyone sees filthy houses and flats whilst at uni, but one of the worst was my ex-girlfriends place she shared with 3 other girls. That place was simply rank.
Saying that, it only came second in awfulness to two geek friends of mine who had a place that seemed to be made entirely out of 50% old computer parts, 20% hair, and 30% unidentifiable filth.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Arnvidr

Postby Arnvidr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:How come it seems that all guys have a much higher tolerance for filth and grossness?
It seems that way because that's the way most guys are. But I'm guessing that's not what you were asking. I don't think it's because of
KestrelLowing wrote:Also, how many guys do you think had to do housework growing up? (Sorry, living with some kind of gross guys right now)
because I did just as much housework growing up as my sister, and I found out in my last relationship that I had a much higher tolerance for a messy apartment than my girlfriend. And not because she was a very tidy person, I just didn't notice that the apartment needed work before she was doing stuff and wanting help. Why is it like that? Maybe after living in a school for a year, and then going to military, two years of necessary regular cleaning, I was tired of cleaning and gave up? Honestly, I don't know. Some insight anyway.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

roband wrote:It's as basic as 'opposite sex' being the wrong words to use, right?

That is a major component of it, yes. Men and women are not opposites; if anything they're orthogonal dimensions.

roband wrote:Also, why use the word erased? This wasn't a direct attack at removing anyone from anything...

Pretending that only two identities exist, even if only unintentionally, still contributes to the whitewashing of identities.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

I'm male, and am asking this question to non-binary identified people. Why do you give so much of a crap? Why can't you just lighten up, let the thread happen, and ignore it?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:I'm male, and am asking this question to non-binary identified people. Why do you give so much of a crap? Why can't you just lighten up, let the thread happen, and ignore it?

What Moose Hole was attempting to say is, we don't want to completely ignore the fact that gender isn't necessarily binary, but this is a cute idea for a thread, so why don't we just have fun with it? Opposite might be a word that implies binary, but it doesn't have to. Let's just go along with things and ask questions to different genders.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:I'm male, and am asking this question to non-binary identified people. Why do you give so much of a crap?

Well, if we DON'T give "so much of a crap," it's pretty obvious no one else will.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

Okay, I'll give this a shot because I've had something on my mind.

I've been led to believe that women tend to hold grudges over past events than men are. Is there any truth to this and if so, why would this be the case?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
Moose Hole wrote:I'm male, and am asking this question to non-binary identified people. Why do you give so much of a crap? Why can't you just lighten up, let the thread happen, and ignore it?

What Moose Hole was attempting to say is, we don't want to completely ignore the fact that gender isn't necessarily binary, but this is a cute idea for a thread, so why don't we just have fun with it?

http://microaggressions.com/about

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Because fuck you, that's why. It wouldn't take much of a re-write to make the OP inclusive, nor the individual questions.

"Can someone raised female1 tell me...." "Can I get a guy2 to tell me why..." "Ladies3, why is it that.." "Hey someone who's not in the whole MaleORFemae gender game4, what's your take on..."

1If what you're getting at is wanting to know about someone who was raised with (presumably Western) Female Values, Goals, Etc, then this would include people who no longer identify as Female as well as people who still do, and people who don't really feel strongly about their gender identity one way or another.
2Generally speaking you're going to get people who identify as Male to respond to this, regardless of their background
3Same thing here, with the added Creepster/Dimitri Martin reference which is still hilarious. Honest.
4Alright, I don't really have a good one if you're wanting to ask of someone who doesn't neatly fit in the Male or Female self-identity box. I should probably work on that.. but still, attempt made if that's what you're after.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:

What Moose Hole was attempting to say is, we don't want to completely ignore the fact that gender isn't necessarily binary, but this is a cute idea for a thread, so why don't we just have fun with it?

http://microaggressions.com/about

Yes, I've read it, and no, I can never fully understand. I get it, even though I'll never get it as you have stated many times. And I know that these micro aggressions are hardly ever done out of spite but still sting. But just like sometimes I wonder if I'm seeing people as sexist when they probably aren't, it's possible you could be seeing things that aren't there. Heck, the OP even said "the gender that they identify with". If opposite is the only offending word, remember that something can have many opposites. Can we just replace the word with "different"?

I just think this thread could be really interesting and I really don't want it derailed in the same way the "I'm doing science and I need test subjects" thread in Science was. (I'm still amazed that wasn't modded more. All of that was completely unrelated to what fruit you think about) Maybe this thread could even showcase some of the differences between cis, trans, and other categories. It can be what we make it. Just don't toss it out the window (which you may not be trying to do).

Anyway,
Triangle_Man wrote:I've been led to believe that women tend to hold grudges over past events than men are. Is there any truth to this and if so, why would this be the case?

I personally haven't seen enough of this to really make it true. (One of my (twin) brothers can hold a grudge till kingdom come, the other forgets in about two hours). However, I have noticed that the typical "female culture" has more talking behind backs etc. than the "male culture". Perhaps that's related. However, I've always been a little out of the typical female culture when it comes to grudges and the like, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Yes, I've read it, and no, I can never fully understand. I get it, even though I'll never get it as you have stated many times. And I know that these micro aggressions are hardly ever done out of spite but still sting. But just like sometimes I wonder if I'm seeing people as sexist when they probably aren't, it's possible you could be seeing things that aren't there. Heck, the OP even said "the gender that they identify with". If opposite is the only offending word, remember that something can have many opposites. Can we just replace the word with "different"?
The OP was trying, I'll give it that.. but it also missed a group. Then we got sidetracked for a bit but can get back on track fairly easily.

I personally haven't seen enough of this to really make it true. (One of my (twin) brothers can hold a grudge till kingdom come, the other forgets in about two hours). However, I have noticed that the typical "female culture" has more talking behind backs etc. than the "male culture". Perhaps that's related. However, I've always been a little out of the typical female culture when it comes to grudges and the like, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
If I had to guess a reason, I'd say it has a lot to do with it being Okay for males to be aggressive, physically and otherwise, especially with other males, so if a male has a problem with another male, it's far more likely for them to go on and have it out, as it were, be it a vocal argument or swinging fists while Female culture tends to downplay aggressiveness. Two boys beating the shit out of each other are broken apart by adults and probably punished sure.. but it's still seen as "Boys will be Boys" while two girls going at it, or a girl beating the shit out of a guy, are always viewed as aberrant and dissuaded.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:If opposite is the only offending word, remember that something can have many opposites. Can we just replace the word with "different"?

You're being awfully smug about this for someone who's actually recanting her own advice to "just have fun with it."

Edit: Also, the word "opposite" is hardly the only part of the OP that excludes non-binary genders. See the last line, for one.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:If opposite is the only offending word, remember that something can have many opposites. Can we just replace the word with "different"?

You're being awfully smug about this for someone who's actually recanting her own advice to "just have fun with it."

Edit: Also, the word "opposite" is hardly the only part of the OP that excludes non-binary genders. See the last line, for one.

to everyone that has read this thread so far, please look at my edit, and as mentioned in the edit, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended

TheGrammarBolshevik

Re: Question the opposite sex activity! [Safezone]

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

I a) am not sure that the [safespace] tag makes sense for this thread and b) would appreciate a change from the word "opposite" in the title.
Not even sporange.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Would 'Question other sexes/genders activity' work better as a title?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Or "Question your Long Held Assumptions!" maybe?

I do appreciate the attempts to fix the issues with it, for what that's worth.

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I a) am not sure that the [safespace] tag makes sense for this thread and b) would appreciate a change from the word "opposite" in the title.

duly noted and addressed; thank you for your civility

TheGrammarBolshevik

Re: Question your longheld stereotypes...

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

I think ST's suggestion was probably a joke. :) Perhaps just "Question people from other genders"?
Not even sporange.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

I like "question your long held assumptions". Perhaps this thread might not become what you envisioned, fuzzycuzzy, but it might still be helpful.

SecondTalon wrote:
Seconding this. I hope you are not discouraged, and that you still do want to learn things.

Why do you feel that men and women are opposite, if I may ask? As a man, I do not feel it is this way.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I think ST's suggestion was probably a joke. :) Perhaps just "Question people from other genders"?

no, I feel like this works just fine, as in, I'm too stubborn to change the thing one more time...

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:to everyone that has read this thread so far, please look at my edit, and as mentioned in the edit, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended

Thank you for your calm and sincere response to the issues presented to you. <3

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:I like "question your long held assumptions". Perhaps this thread might not become what you envisioned, fuzzycuzzy, but it might still be helpful.

SexyTalon wrote:
Seconding this. I hope you are not discouraged, and that you still do want to learn things.

*Sorry, I accidently put part of my text in your quote.

Why do you feel that men and women are opposite, if I may ask? As a man, I do not feel it is this way.

I'm not going to lie, it can be rather discouraging as soon as people start becoming angry.
I feel that they are opposite in the same sense that fire and water are opposite. Sure, one is a chemical reaction and the other is a chemical, but the characteristics of the two are very much opposite. Though they're both dangerous, they're dangerous in different ways. They tend to annihilate each other when they come into contact. Both are necessary for civilized life, but one is inherently more dangerous and powerful than the other. You store them in vastly different ways. They represent different things. They come from wildly different sources. Obviously, I could go on and about about the Greek Mythology concerning the two, and... well, good thinkers can get the rest.

My point is, it's a philisophical viewpoint rather than a simply literal one. Men and women are opposite as the sun is opposite to the moon as fire to water as black to white as yin to yan: two parts that together make up the entire system. Does that make sense, or am I stupid?
Last edited by fuzzycuzzy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
fuzzycuzzy wrote:to everyone that has read this thread so far, please look at my edit, and as mentioned in the edit, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended

Thank you for your calm and sincere response to the issues presented to you. <3

and thank you for understand how hard it can be to get everything right the first time... I've lived about thirty minutes from S.F. my whole life and though I've never been to a parade, I know enough activists to know that there's usually more going on than what meets the surface

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:I'm not going to lie, it can be rather discouraging as soon as people start becoming angry.
I feel that they are opposite in the same sense that fire and water are opposite. Sure, one is a chemical reaction and the other is a chemical, but the characteristics of the two are very much opposite. Though they're both dangerous, they're dangerous in different ways. They tend to annihilate each other when they come into contact. Both are necessary for civilized life, but one is inherently more dangerous and powerful than the other. You store them in vastly different ways. They represent different things. They come from wildly different sources. Obviously, I could go on and about about the Greek Mythology concerning the two, and... well, good thinkers can get the rest.

My point is, it's a philisophical viewpoint rather than a simply literal one. Men and women are opposite as the sun is opposite to the moon as fire to water as black to white as yin to yan: two parts that together make up the entire system. Does that make sense, or am I stupid?

I think the word you want is 'complementary' rather than 'opposite'. As far as my understanding goes, at least. I believe societies build themselves that way - assigning one batch of qualities to one gender and another, complementary batch to the other, to facilitate heterosexual marriages and romance. I think that's a huge part of gender roles.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:two parts that together make up the entire system.

Except that men and women don't make up the entire system, just a large majority of it. Whether you're referring to sex (intersex individuals) or gender (nonbinary individuals), there are parts of the system that aren't included the sum of "men+women".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I think ST's suggestion was probably a joke. :) Perhaps just "Question people from other genders"?

no, I feel like this works just fine, as in, I'm too stubborn to change the thing one more time...

Also, it lets us discuss other things too, like.. I dunno, why Ice forms like it does or something. I'm crap at examples.

See, that's.. more opposite as how a Red Delicious Apple is the opposite of the Naval Orange. It kinda leaves out the existence of other apples and of oranges... and bananas and watermelons and so on - things that can still be compared and have frames of reference while at the same time being different, sometimes different enough that the standard language you're using wouldn't even apply - namely, the terms you'd use to describe an apple and describe an orange can be applied to a banana (white flesh, skin you don't eat, black seed, stringy bits that can get caught in your teeth) while at the same time be inaccurate descriptions of a banana.

Hey LADIES! ..... and other makeup wearing people.... so.. really, I guess.. Hey people who wear the makeup..... damnit....I liked my Beastie Boys reference...

How many times did you poke yourself in the eye with the eyeliner pencil thing until you figured it out? How long does it take to figure out? Because it looks like something I would severely injure myself with if I attempted.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:34 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hey LADIES! ..... and other makeup wearing people.... so.. really, I guess.. Hey people who wear the makeup..... damnit....I liked my Beastie Boys reference...

How many times did you poke yourself in the eye with the eyeliner pencil thing until you figured it out? How long does it take to figure out?

In my experience? No eye poking at all. Just a long time before figuring out *what* exactly you're supposed to line. Eyes are all different from person to person, so it's a bit hard to break down what exactly you're supposed to be doing, and really I never saw any kind of useful guide.

So never any pain, but a long period of time where I was putting eyeliner on a portion of my eyelid that just went and dumped the vast majority of the stuff onto my eyeball itself, where I was then forced to remove it from the corners of my eyes.

(Yeah, I use liquid liner. It's kind of great, and kind of horrible all at the same time.)

I still don't feel like I have a great understanding of what the options are, makeup-wise, that fit in between "almost natural, like whoa, hella subtle" and "Lady Gaga six inch lightning bolt" on the spectrum.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

The same, in my brief experience with stage makeup. I never got it in my eye, but I did typically just smear it all over my eyelid and wipe up the excess.

That's what she said!
Not even sporange.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Yeah, when I was first starting out with eyeliner I just took it fairly slow; no poking involved, just some smearing.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

I've worn eyeliner precisely once in my life, and I did not poke myself in the eye at all. I imagined I would, and approached the task with great trepidation, but I actually found it relatively simple.
Of course, it was probably also a horrendous mess, but frankly I am just glad I didn't blind myself.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

I've worn zombie makeup but it was applied by the makeup artist at the place I was working. I feel like the artist jabbed my eyelids a lot harder than I would have done so, but thankfully my eyes were closed!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

I've been poked in the eye exactly once, and that was by a professional make-up artist before a photo shoot.

I started off with the "look at me, I'm a goth" look, moved on to the "nothing to see here, folks. Just a regular girl wearing regular make-up" look, and now I'm at the "yeah, I painted blue tears onto my face. What are you gonna do about it?" look. Though every so often, I go back to the first look (see: my avatar)
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Okay, I'll give this a shot because I've had something on my mind.

I've been led to believe that women tend to hold grudges over past events than men are. Is there any truth to this and if so, why would this be the case?

the only evidence for this i can present is that i can hold a grudge for a few months over something that my bf will hold a grudge for a day. other than that i have no idea how long anyone holds grudges
ImageImageImageImageImage

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

I, a non-make-up-wearing-self-identifying-male put on some eye shadow/liner to cheer up a friend of mine once, it wasn't has difficult as I thought. Also so many colours to choose, it's fun...

But I suppose it's a slightly different situation if it's from a compulsion due to insecurity rather than experimentation, fun or habit but I guess I wouldn't really know.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Return to “General”