Why we shouldn't ban guns...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

samusaran253

Why we shouldn't ban guns...

Postby samusaran253 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Studies show that you're more likely to get mugged in London than NYC. Studies also show that home invasions are more common in the UK. And yet again, studies have shown that burglars are more afraid of armed civilians than they are of police forces. Also I ask that you bear in mind that almost every gun related crime in the US is committed with illegal firearms and almost never by civilians with permits. The criminals already have guns and they always will, so the normal/good/innocent people need guns too. It's not like anyone can just go buy a gun, there are several restrictions and you have to undergo training courses which teach you gun safety and how to properly use a firearm.

Guns are freedom, without guns there can be no freedom. Guns are the first, last, and only line of defense against tyrannical government, if you let the government take away you're firearms, then you give them complete control over you. We wouldn't have won the American Revolution had the British banned guns in their colonies. It's also a basic human right to own a gun and to defend ones self. A ban on guns would also be unconstitutional and if the government ever attempted to do such a thing, it would result in a civil war, one which the gun owners would win since the military is made up mostly of conservatives and libertarians, both of which are against banning guns.

The vast majority of people are against banning guns, as you can see here:

When civilians have the right to carry firearms, crime rates go down, see Florida:

Now when the government bans firearms completely, gun crime goes up, see DC:
Last edited by samusaran253 on Thu May 26, 2011 7:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Kang

Re: Democracy at work

Postby Kang » Thu May 26, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Well, you wouldn't want the King of England walking in and ordering you around randomly, would you?

iChef

Re: Why we shouldn't ban guns...

Postby iChef » Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 am UTC

Depends, if it is William, sure he seems like a decent guy as long as he brings over some beer. We could have a cook-out and play ping-pong and lawn darts. If it Charles screw that I'm getting my .45.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri May 27, 2011 2:05 am UTC

samusaran253 wrote:The vast majority of people are against banning guns, as you can see here:

I'm not going to get into the debate about gun ownership, since no one is ever able to change anyone else's mind, but I thought I should point out ... your evidence is crap. "The vast majority" ... you've only showed that 1% of 1% of your population have an opinion, with no reasoning as to why we should take this as a representative sample, nor how the question was proposed to them.
Furthermore, 'outright ban' as an option is unlikely to work with anything, so it's unsurprising that people would refuse to give up their dubious 'right' if asked. As for your other graphical evidence, you have provided two data points. I don't know what happened in those states during those times (I'm not from the United States), and two datapoints are enough to make me wary, since I know that any two that would have been cherry picked would also be the best.

samusaran253 wrote:Studies show that you're more likely to get mugged in London than NYC. Studies also show that home invasions are more common in the UK.

The problem with such comparison though is that they are different countries, and difference in culture and economic positions are more than skin deep. Pointing to those statistics in the UK doesn't necessarily help your cause, I could just as easily point to The list of countries by intentional homicide rate and find the US as the highest of the Western world with 5.0 per 100 000 people. This is roughly three times the rate in the UK (I'm using that particular country since you're the one who brought it up). The overall crime rate in the UK is three times higher than the US on a per capita basis, but when I weight that against the homicide rate in the US, I'd rather be in a place where the chance of dying is less.
To put it this way - I would rather be robbed and raped than murdered.

The point behind this is you pointed to the UK and went 'Ha! No guns and look where it got them' (or at least, that's what I interpreted the comparison as) ... these are indeed two different countries, and the difference between the two contain more factors than just 'rate of firearm ownership'. This is made especially egregious since you don't reference these statistics again - you are not even attempting to compare two countries that are totally different on a sociopolitical level, you are just doing a simplistic 'guns vs no guns' comparison. I'm quite sure countries (and people) are more complicated than this.

samusaran253 wrote:The criminals already have guns and they always will, so the normal/good/innocent people need guns too.

How do these two necessarily follow? Please expand upon this point ... you're simply making an assertion without providing any supporting argument. You're also making the assumption that an increase in firearms is a good thing, rather than an attempt to decrease the firearms possessed by criminals. Please justify this assumption.

samusaran253 wrote:Guns are freedom, without guns there can be no freedom.

Justify this assertion.

samusaran253 wrote:Guns are the first, last, and only line of defense against tyrannical government, if you let the government take away you're firearms, then you give them complete control over you.

Let us presume, for a moment, that the parliament of the UK is not a tyrannical government. Why is it then bad that this government has taken away your fire arms? The advantage against tyrannical governments is quite clear, but what if a small proportion of the population saw the government as tyrannical, built up an arsenal and murdered the PM? You're the one requesting that they have the power to do so ... why should a government that isn't tyrannical not have complete control over these lethal weapons?

samusaran253 wrote:We wouldn't have won the American Revolution had the British banned guns in their colonies.

And this relates to the present ... how?

samusaran253 wrote:It's also a basic human right to own a gun and to defend ones self.

Really? Here's a link to theUniversal Declaration of Human Rights. Is my search function broken, or is there no mention of 'gun' or 'firearm' anywhere in the document? This is, again, another unjustified assertion.

samusaran253 wrote:A ban on guns would also be unconstitutional

Indeed it would, but if your amendments show anything it's that you're willing to modify that constitution as need has it.

samusaran253 wrote:if the government ever attempted to do such a thing, it would result in a civil war

Let's, for one insane moment, assume the government doesn't go "Right, all guns, banned" but rather slowly phases them out, like with smoking ... what reasoning do you have for that starting a civil war? Again, I'm not arguing against guns (or proposing it wouldn't start a civil war), I'm arguing against the particular arguments you're using.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 am UTC

I love when people use internet polls to justify things. Systematic bias much?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:16 am UTC

I love it when people rehash beat-into-the-ground arguments from SB in General.

Because it means I can do this.

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 am UTC

samusaran253: I am extremely pro-gun, but even I am annoyed by your argument style. You've simply repeated a bunch of sound-bites and bumper sticker catch-phrases with no expansion on the idea or justification for the assertion. You've also listed statistics and provided no citations. Pretty much everything yurell said.

Besides all that, your method of starting a post with very little content and adding to it little by little over the course of a few days is pretty annoying, and makes the conversation hard to follow because the conversation seed keeps changing. Spend some time to write out a quality post with all the points you want to make, save it in a word file if you have to spend a couple days on it, then post it all at once. Piecemeal posts aren't fun to read, especially if the pieces come in out of order.

edit: awww, puppies
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 am UTC

You're damn right!

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Image

Hmm, you make an interesting point. But I must counter with -

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 am UTC

You're clearly not keeping up with my latest argument. Your debate skills need work. Now pay attention as I work from a modified premise.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 27, 2011 2:41 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Image
That's a strawman if I ever saw one. Here, let me show you some statistics to prove it:
scout.jpg
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Oh, come on. That's clearly biased.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 27, 2011 2:57 am UTC

Listen, you better provide some citations or I'm outta here

why am I posting pictures of dogs on a forum instead of going to sleep for christ's sake?
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Seems relevant.
29118001.jpg
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri May 27, 2011 4:01 am UTC

I guess I'll throw in my $.02

straw dog.jpeg
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Now that's a strawman argument.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri May 27, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri May 27, 2011 5:43 am UTC

I fucking love the fora.

Also:
e7c2e782-e686-4454-991c-9cb003920cfc.gif
Oh me yarm tetherball!
e7c2e782-e686-4454-991c-9cb003920cfc.gif (1.85 MiB) Viewed 10378 times
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Fri May 27, 2011 6:06 am UTC

..... I can't resist joining in on this....

Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 am UTC

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Your honor, my client would like to enter a plea of insanity
IMG_1877.png
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri May 27, 2011 7:32 am UTC

This is why I love this forum.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri May 27, 2011 8:29 am UTC

Look what this good and honest troll thread has become :(.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri May 27, 2011 9:32 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Image
cats-kitten-sink.jpg
cats-kitten-sink.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 10259 times
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 am UTC

You're all mad. But that's why we loves ya.

In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 27, 2011 11:50 am UTC

samusaran253 wrote:Now when the government bans firearms completely, gun crime goes up, see DC
Right...

So, what is it that caused the rate to plummet starting more than a decade *before* the law was struck down? Did criminals become psychic, and realize "hey guys in about a dozen years civilians are gonna start carrying around handguns again, we better stop shooting each other now!"?

Anyway, I like wolfhounds.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 am UTC

Clearly, cat-dog is superior.

The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Why we shouldn't ban puns...

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 27, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

samusaran253 wrote:Now when the government bans firearms completely, gun crime goes up, see DC

CORRELATION DOG DISAGREES!
Spoiler:

C'mon, you gotta give me mad props for joining in the good-natured bandwagoning, and simultaneously being on-topic!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

I'll give props to anyone who asks for them

Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Hey! Hey hey hey goddamn it!

Carry on.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

As a physicist, my standpoint in this debate is as follows
guncontrol.png
guncontrol.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 10144 times
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri May 27, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

I have a four point conjecture for you to consider.

black-lab-meth-lab.jpg
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

kitty stuffie.gif
kitty stuffie.gif (1.92 MiB) Viewed 10126 times
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri May 27, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Amazingly when I replied to this thread earlier it was just the map thingy. I dislike when people edit their preceding posts like that, it generally makes reading threads so weird.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Kang wrote:Amazingly when I replied to this thread earlier it was just the map thingy. I dislike when people edit their preceding posts like that, it generally makes reading threads so weird.

Hence, the current direction of the thread. Everyone can follow it, everyone can debate the pros and cons, and everyone knows what's going on.

Complete anarchy.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

it seems to me that this is an issue that you'd have to wrestle with for a long time to come up with an answer

The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:it seems to me that this is an issue that you'd have to wrestle with for a long time to come up with an answer

Some might even find the debate... unbearable.

(DIE 56K modems DIE)

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 27, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

perhaps if we separate ourself from the issue a bit, we'd be able to seal the deal.

The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Guns are freedom, without guns there can be no freedom.

Awww, shit. I'm not free? :(
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Return to “General”