Trolling efficiency

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Menacing Spike

Trolling efficiency

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 am UTC

Greetings people. I'm interested in what makes people tick; and wish to discuss the "rage buttons" of various Internet communities. Here are my findings, would be interested in more data:

- XKCD forums: try to bundle ignorance, intolerance, and arrogance in a post about a minority. Keep it short and concise.
- 4chan: board dependant; but religion works very well. Embrace a smug conservative persona.
- Dwarf Fortress forums: suggest the game should be multithreaded, await angry responses, finishing blow: "he should hire more programmers then".
- Any videogame forum: insist teenagers are immature. Brace for hundreds of "I know 15 years old more mature than...", people calling those out on flawed logic, etc.
- World of Warcraft forums: either pretend to be a PVP and PVE player, assert that players from the other category are unskilled.
- Mac forum: tell them about how a PC (use "PC") with the same clock rate is cheaper.
- Youtube: "Thumb this up if..."
- Manga: talk about how naruto is better.
- Starcraft (game): steal ally's ressources, especially gas, insist you need them.
- Starcraft (forums): make ignorant statement about game balance, stand by it, critique others by their league.

Any relevant insight?
It seems that XKCD and bay12 are less ego-driven than the others; XKCD as being focused on defending others, and bay12 on defending their programmer god. Perhaps this is related to average age?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Trolling efficiency

Postby Felstaff » Thu May 19, 2011 10:38 am UTC

Putting spaces between quote tags used to be a bootable offence here, 'twas that noisome to some.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu May 19, 2011 10:49 am UTC

Anywhere where people think they're trolls. Just say

'Trolling is an art.'

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:- Starcraft (forums): make ignorant statement about game balance, stand by it, critique others by their league.

The European Bnet forums are hilarious. It's like an onion of trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls. At the center of it all is a small number of confused newbies.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu May 19, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

I don't think that's really a troll. It makes me cringe every time I see it, but at the same time these are also the most popular comments in the first place, however self sustaining, which by definition makes them the opposite of a troll.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri May 20, 2011 5:54 am UTC

philsov wrote:

I don't think that's really a troll. It makes me cringe every time I see it, but at the same time these are also the most popular comments in the first place, however self sustaining, which by definition makes them the opposite of a troll.

No matter how much I agree with the statement, they get an automatic thumbs-down from me
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Manial

Postby Manial » Sun May 22, 2011 9:59 am UTC

I find the "[No. of dislikes] people are [insult/enemies of the video creators/wronged party in the video]" comments more aggravating to be honest.

Return to “General”