Mobile phones

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

reflex

Mobile phones

Postby reflex » Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Most people have one, why not have a thread to talk about them?

I'm planning on getting a new phone once I save up a bit more money. I don't really want to join the masses and get an iphone, so I want to get the HTC desire hd. From what I've read, it's just as good, if not better than the iphone, and the plan that it comes with is amazing.

So what's your phone like?
Last edited by reflex on Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Oregonaut wrote:Sun eating thing. It eats sun. Its green by eating sun.

Oregonaut wrote:YOU! With the bear...

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Re: mobile phones

Postby pollywog » Sun May 08, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

My cellphone will turn itself off while I am writing a text, and this happens on about 20% of texts I write, or try to write. I want to get a new phone, but just the cheapest one out. My only need for it is that the buttons are large enough for my fingers, and it costs under NZ$100. I only ever use it for texting and calling, for everything else, I have a notebook.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

reflex

Postby reflex » Mon May 09, 2011 12:05 am UTC

there are a bunch of phones around in Australia which are literally less than $40 dollars. the cheapest one I've seen was only $29. Simple phone, but that sounds like all you need.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 am UTC

My phone can call people, text people, take pictures and it's O'Brien proof (ie: my Dad had it before me, dorpped it many times and even accidentally hit it with a hammer, then when I had it I've accidentally thrown it accross the room a few times, but it still works. The only problem with it is that the battery-casing has to be held on with electrician's tape). This is all I want, and my phone pleases me greatly.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Postby 123 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:33 am UTC

How do you accidentally throw a phone across the room?

My phone can text, call, take pictures, and browse the web (very slowly. It's not a smartphone or anything...). I wish it would take videos though, but oh well, I can use my Ipod for that
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 am UTC

123 wrote:How do you accidentally throw a phone across the room?

I sometimes point at something with my cell phone in my hand and end up throwing it.

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Droid 2.
I like it- a little bit glitchy, occasionally freezes randomly, but still pretty good- lets me text and check Wikipedia, which is all I need 8)

Also: This phone was once accidentally flung off of a four-story building. It was fine. Go tough phones.
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon May 09, 2011 2:54 am UTC

123 wrote:How do you accidentally throw a phone across the room?

By walking at a brisk pace while texting then tripping up.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon May 09, 2011 5:50 am UTC

You don't want to join the masses but are getting an HTC? I was under the impression that Droid phones were popular enough to qualify as something the masses really enjoy. :P

I have an HTC Incredible and love it. I'll go Droid as long as they keep up the good work, though they could definitely work on battery life.

Manial

Postby Manial » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 am UTC

I have a Desire HD and I have to say, good choice, it's pretty awesome. The only problem I have is that the screen is maybe a bit too big, I always feel kinda clumsy taking it out of my pocket.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon May 09, 2011 8:28 am UTC

I have a Samsung Galaxy S which pretty much organises my entire life. Aside from being a little sluggish at times (probably because I've loaded so many widgets and background-running apps onto it) it's a great phone.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am UTC

I have the Samsung X480.
It has WAP and a to-do list, I'm told by its feature list, but the best thing about it is its rounded shape and how well it handles being dropped.
I might replace it at some point for a mobile that has a timer function.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am UTC

I have this beauty.
Spoiler:
pfffffrrrrtttt.

It's crappy, ugly and old but it can text, call and it makes a ringing sound every now and then. Oh and it has a 1.3 Megapixel camera! Can you believe it?!
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:I have a Samsung Galaxy S which pretty much organises my entire life. Aside from being a little sluggish at times (probably because I've loaded so many widgets and background-running apps onto it) it's a great phone.

I got the Samsung Galaxy S 2 last week. It is AWESOME.

Especially after being on an iPhone 3G for so long.
Still getting used to Android, if anyone out there wants to PM me any tips, that'd be great! ;)

elektricat

Postby elektricat » Mon May 09, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Microscopic cog, I think your phone looks really cool!

My phone is a sony ericsson with a Super Mario theme, orange Guitar Hero wall paper that matches the orange underlighting of the keypad and the "instakill" sound effect from Nazi Zombies; CoD World at War as the text alert. Ironically, it doesnt have any games on it since i deleted them all to make room for more pictures with my 1.3mpx camera!
If cats were radioactive, they would have 18 half lives!

Postby AvatarIII » Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 am UTC

mine is a moderately old sony ericsson C510

it does everything i need it to, i have opera mini installed on it for web surfing, it has google maps on it, although has no GPS so it has to estimate my location by nearest mobile phone tower, it's small, slim and light, and has an all right camera, which i don't use very often, (i've never been much into photography) i'm more likely to use it to photograph information that i can't bo bothered to write down, than for anything else, i never play games on it, i really only use it for texting and phoning, a smart phone would be so useless for me, especially since my work doesn't even allow mobile phones on you at any time,

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon May 09, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

elektricat wrote:the "instakill" sound effect from Nazi Zombies; CoD World at War as the text alert.

I have Napalm Death's "You Suffer", currently the world's sortest song at about 1.3 seconds long.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 09, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

I just got a T-Mobile LG G2x (LG Optimus 2X for the rest of the world) coming off an iPhone 3GS, and while I like it a lot, there's things that have bugged me, such as the awful battery time, and the fact that I've had to buy $10 in apps to get equivalent podcast capabilities as the iPhone.

micco

Postby micco » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

I have a HTC Desire. I like it a lot. Good music player, .sid player, internet in my pocket which can be shared via wlan if necessary, so it basically does everything I want it to do. Only bad thing is the battery life.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

I've had my HTC Thunderbolt for roughly a month now. Very sleek and sexy phone, very fast. 4G speeds are actually noticeably faster than 3G, and also noticeably eat battery faster. It's my first smartphone, and I love it.

The only complaint I have is something that can't be avoided: battery life. My old phone (enV2) used to go 2 weeks on a charge, and now I need to charge my Thunderbolt every night. Such is life, I suppose.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

I have an Orange Amsterdam, which is a re-branded Alcatel OT-880. And as a result of this thread I've actually gone and found out how to get the computer to detect it through the USB port and so transfer all the photos from it and put a couple of songs on.
I've never had an smart phone which may be why I don't see the need for them but right now I can store contacts, I can text, I can call, I can take photos, and I have a slide out qwerty keyboard, that's as much as I want or need. It can do other stuff but I just don't use that. However I am now pretty sure that I won't be going back to a phone that doesn't have a qwerty.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon May 09, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

I've got a Samsung SGH-A437. Basically, it's just a phone with a couple features (stopwatch, calendar - just for looking when a date it, rubbish for actually using - calculator) which is what I want. But it sucks. Whenever it gets into an area that doesn't have service, it will wait maybe 2 minutes and then just stop looking, even if you move into an area with service. This is obviously a problem as I go to school in the middle of nowhere and there are several places in the city I'm currently living in that don't have good service. I also work under a lot of concrete.

It's fairly robust, although I'm usually pretty gentle with most of my belongings. I've had it for nearly 4 years now (my previous phone was one of those "get free when you get a plan" and lasted for 4 years - that thing was a tank! Finally busted though after I dropped it on the hinge. I had to hold it closed with a rubber band until I got a new one) and it still looks pretty dang new. I've dropped it a few times, but it's still in good condition. However, the think with not looking for reception is very, very annoying!

Basically, don't buy it!

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
elektricat wrote:the "instakill" sound effect from Nazi Zombies; CoD World at War as the text alert.

I have Napalm Death's "You Suffer", currently the world's sortest song at about 1.3 seconds long.

for the past five and a bit years, I've had the classic Sonic Extra Life sound. No urge to change it at all. EVER.
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Postby AvatarIII » Mon May 09, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

i have a Metal Gear Solid Codec sound for text alerts,

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Like micco, I've got a HTC desire. Generally it was one of the most consistently positively reviewed phones when I got it and lower cost than similar. If I was being completely honest and critical about the flaws, I'd still only be able to count important ones on one hand*. That's damn good really.

*Screen too reflective in direct sunlight (As with all non-Oleophobic-coated screen, it does pickup finger prints), position of detected points on screen may swap when crossing axis (Touchscreen bug, may affect multitouch apps), Battery life, Internal memory is prohibitively small (Can be partly solved by installing apps to SD), Video camera is "good" at best but is only "usable" in low light. If I were to list the comparable positives, it would be a considerably longer list.

Personally I've played with the iPhone 3GS and, really, it was surprising how slow it was. I definitely wouldn't recommend it, especially considering it's twice the price of better android phones.

I also prefer Android. iOS does feel simpler, more user friendly, more well rounded as stock; but Android can match, or better, practically every aspect with customisations.
Android apps I'd recommend (Roughly in order of how I'd rate them, from high to lower):
CoPilot Live - Excellent Gps navigation software, excelled my expectations.
LauncherPro - Best launcher replacement I've tried, very customisable.
MixZing - One of the best media players, fully featured.
Dolphin Browser HD - Reasonably good web browser replacement

The Galaxy S2 is pretty beastly in terms of specs. I'd get one if my contract was about to finish.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon May 09, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Does it really surprise you that a two year old phone is slow? I'm sure if you picked up a contemporary Android phone (HTC Hero/Droid Eris looks to fit the bill) you'd think the same thing.

My phone's battery has been reading 64% for a few hours now. I tend to not believe it.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

I have a Droid 2. I'm hopelessly addicted to phones, I don't think I've ever made it two years on one phone in my adult life. :oops:

I love the Droid OS, but I do find the 2 clunky. I got it because I wanted the touch screen and the keyboard because I pretty much spend my entire day at work talking to people on Kik (unfortunately, my job only requires half of my attention most of the time).

reflex

Postby reflex » Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

Themis wrote:You don't want to join the masses but are getting an HTC? I was under the impression that Droid phones were popular enough to qualify as something the masses really enjoy. :P

I have an HTC Incredible and love it. I'll go Droid as long as they keep up the good work, though they could definitely work on battery life.

Well, my view on it is that people see the iphone as the go-to "smart phone". I'm sure HTC is popular too, but I think people just think of iphones first. I think android just seems better.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am UTC

elminster wrote:
The Galaxy S2 is pretty beastly in terms of specs. I'd get one if my contract was about to finish.

You'd not regret it.

Obby

Re: Mobile phones

Postby Obby » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

For those of you with smartphones:

If you like to listen to music with your phone, I found a great little app called SubSonic. You basically set up a server on your home PC and you stream all of the music you want right to your phone over the network or wifi connection. The service is free for the web interface, and they give you a server to stream to your phone from for one month with your own customized URL. If you want to keep using the private server after one month, you have to donate, but there's no set donation amount IIRC so you can just drop a dollar or two and have access permanently to the streaming service.

Quite a great little app. Though, if you don't have an unlimited data plan, it might not be as worth it to use for you, since you'll pretty much be restricted to using it to whenever you have wifi access.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm UTC

I have 2GB/month, and that's generous in this country. I think this whole cloud streaming thing is going to pass us by.

Faithful

Postby Faithful » Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Just was able to upgrade my phone.

Had a Blackberry, now I have the HTC Thunderbolt.

4g is effing fast...and effing kills my battery.

Thankfully, I can drop it down to 3g and make the battery last all day and night, while others complain theirs dies in 6 hours or less.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

roband wrote:
elminster wrote:

You'd not regret it.

Tell that to any US Galaxy S family owners. They've become completely reliant on the developer community to make them even somewhat decent, since Samsung's developers are apparently complete idiots who like to make things different just because they can. I understand that the international Galaxy S is at least a bit better in this regard.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 10, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Just installing a different launcher will sort most of those problems out though, right?

In what sense do you mean?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Yeah, I didn't have too many problems upgrading my Galaxy S to Froyo once it became available (Samsung's proprietary PC syncing software is terrible, but that's common to most manufacturers that aren't Apple). For some reason, they had to create three or four variants of the phone for different carriers in the US market, which I don't understand.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 10, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

Froyo is one of the previous versions of Android?

I just installed a different launcher (LancherPlus Pro).

Also, Samsung Kies is a crap program, but the Kies Air is a brilliant idea.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue May 10, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Yes, 2.2. 2.3 (Gingerbread) isn't out in Australia yet, and while I could install vanilla Android 2.3 on it if I really felt like it, I like how I have it set up right now and don't particularly want to mess with it.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Ah cool. This is my first Android phone, I can't claim to understand it too much.

Coming from iOS, the widgets and whatnot take some getting used to

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

roband wrote:Just installing a different launcher will sort most of those problems out though, right?

In what sense do you mean?

No. It will still have the ongoing GPS issues, the awful file system (RFS, while most everyone else uses YAFFS, and are shifting to EXT4, it seems), and some really odd things like having parts of code return numbers in dec instead of hex (or vice-versa?) for no apparent reason.

There's also obvious clues that Samsung doesn't quite understand Android when they put a task killer into their UI (which even includes buttons to clear level 1 and 2 RAM, which a user should never, ever have to do, and can cause bad things to happen since it kills pretty important system processes like the communications services), since at least as of Froyo, they've been actually worse for the system than just letting Android manage its own resources since it's pretty good at it.

On top of this, as I understand it, they've released a rather large number of variants with slightly different capabilities in the US (for instance, the Epic on Sprint has a hardware keyboard and notification LED which none others have) which wouldn't be an issue except that Samsung didn't abstract the differing code in the main trunk, so there's essentially four branches of code that they have to maintain each of which they make different changes to, rather than a single one.

Not to say everything is bad. They make good hardware, which is why the Nexus S doesn't have these issues, despite being mostly the same as a Galaxy S since it was developed by Google.

Just as a disclaimer, this all comes from posts I've read on various forums. They're all waiting to see how the Galaxy S II works out, since the hardware is certainly top notch.

EDIT: As for why each carrier got their own version, it helps to understand the US cell phone market, at which point it becomes obvious and you hate it even more/are glad you don't have to deal with it if you're outside.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

roband

Postby roband » Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Ah, most of that stuff you said I didn't understand ;)

I just like it cos it's shiny :p

Return to “General”