REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Actually, it's to hide buttons.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

It's also a phallic symbol.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

For people too lazy to babelfish:
The tie is a device of torture used by corporations for the degradation of the men which wears shirt with a collar. Because I carry a tie I gain wages. This is not a tie:
[image of tie]
I believe q' a tie is femenine because one could employ it as one leaves to carry out a man.

...wait, what?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Voila.JPG
Voila.JPG (20.54 KiB) Viewed 3987 times

:mrgreen:
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:For people too lazy to babelfish:
The tie is a device of torture used by corporations for the degradation of the men which wears shirt with a collar. Because I carry a tie I gain wages. This is not a tie:
[image of tie]
I believe q' a tie is femenine because one could employ it as one leaves to carry out a man.

...wait, what?
Meh. My French is pretty bad. The last sentence was supposed to read: I believe that a tie is feminine because one could use it as a leash to lead a man.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
Rodan wrote:For people too lazy to babelfish:
[image of tie]

...wait, what?
Meh. My French is pretty bad. The last sentence was supposed to read: I believe that a tie is feminine because one could use it as a leash to lead a man.

It's probably babelfish's fault. Not the best translator in the cosmos...

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Ties can be kinky!
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Cravate is also a knot on the lines of a parachute/paraglider.

They're hell to fly with, just FYI.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

- So, volatile memory is called as such, because its content is lost whenever there is no more power...
- How do I find it?
-Pardon?
- If it is lost, where is it? How can I find again?
- ?
- Come on, if something is no longer here, it is somewhere else. How do I find the content?
- You seem to be joking so much, let's us better talk about memory and your understanding and behaviour after the lessons!
- Ugh!
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

REALLY annoying misconception:People seem to think that firemen and firefighters have the same job, when one is quite ubiquitous and the other is basically extinct. And yet, the rate of use of these job titles would imply the complete opposite.

Firemen shovel coal into the firebox and regulate the water of locomotive engines.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Owehn

Postby Owehn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

My dictionary lists both jobs as definitions of "fireman". Is it a problem that one word has two meanings?
[This space intentionally left blank.]

xooll

Postby xooll » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Owehn wrote:My dictionary lists both jobs as definitions of "fireman". Is it a problem that one word has two meanings?

Of COURSE it is. You know that's not allowed in English!
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Owehn wrote:My dictionary lists both jobs as definitions of "fireman".

In fact, the one I use lists "A firefighter" as the first definition. The guy shoveling coal is number two.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 am UTC

Belial wrote:Not necessarily. There is a certain school of thought within gender studies and feminism that says that any time you create a dichotomy or a seperation between two things, you create a hierarchy by necessity. In other words, you can't separate two things without (at least subconsciously) putting one of them higher than the other.

Interestingly enough, as relates to the waiter/waitress discussion, I somehow connect the image of a waiter with upscale, formal dining (and an older gentleman), and a waitress with something like Swiss Chalet (also, a highschool or college aged lady). Very strange indeed. Though it occurs to me now that perhaps I've never been served by a woman in a formal setting. (not that there are very many instances of such. I can think of two)

Also interestingly, though a tie and a cravat are both a cravate en français, they aren't the same object; a cravat tends to be shorter, not designed to cover the buttons, and is the typical garment of the bourgeois, while men in the middle class wear ties, which are long and cover up their buttons (Because lower-class men could scarcely afford one suit, so they often simply sewed on random buttons rather than getting a replacement, which could be made of an expensive material. This lead them to cover up their buttons with a tie)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

EXTREMELY annoying misconception: Emergency blinkers give you the right to park wherever the fuck you want. Seriously, who started that?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

That's illegal in the UK. (although not a prosecutable offence. That is to say, you can't be charged with it, but it can be used in court for something else.)

I'm betting it's against the rules where you are, as well.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:EXTREMELY annoying misconception: Emergency blinkers give you the right to park wherever the fuck you want. Seriously, who started that?

And yet, if I chucked a brick through their windshield, I'd be the one to go to jail. It's just not fair.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC

masher wrote:Misconception: MM/DD/YYYY is a good way of writing the date.

wtf is with putting the month first?
It's like writing 245 if you mean four hundred and twenty five.
ChocloManx wrote:Here in Chile (and I'd imagine that in all of Southamerica) we use day/month/year.

AFAIK in English they read dates like "February the 23rd"

Misconception: you can negate a sentence to form a misconception and it'll look totally natural and cool. Example:
gmalivuk wrote:Misconception: quote pyramids are anything other than annoying as fuck.
could be...
gmalivuk wrote:Quote pyramids are annoying as fuck.

if it weren't for the thread's title
Why yes, I like impersonating mods
LTB
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:11 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:EXTREMELY annoying misconception: Emergency blinkers give you the right to park wherever the fuck you want. Seriously, who started that?

And yet, if I chucked a brick through their windshield, I'd be the one to go to jail. It's just not fair.

Seriously. We sure do have some fucked up laws.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Annoying Misconception: All people from the middle east are packing TNT. My dad was born in Saudi Arabia and every time we fly he is pulled aside for "random questioning"
*waggles eyebrows*

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:39 am UTC

It's a convention that means "This vehicle is involved in active loading/unloading and is authorized to be here."

I do it a lot, but that's because it's TRUE. People who use it just to be lazy asshats and park in non-spaces deserve to be shot, though.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

wing wrote:It's a convention that means "This vehicle is involved in active loading/unloading and is authorized to be here."

I do it a lot, but that's because it's TRUE. People who use it just to be lazy asshats and park in non-spaces deserve to be shot, though.

I've seen two cars traveling in opposing directions stopping, throwing on the blinkers and having a fucking conversation.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

eternauta3k wrote:

Misconception: "Four hundred and twenty five" is a number. Four hundred and twenty-five whats? Four hundred and twenty-five hundreths would be written as "400.25". Four hundred and twenty-five thousandths would be "400.025". If you leave is at "Four hundred and twenty-five," you're saying "400" and "25". Are you really so lazy that you have to make whoever you're talking to do math to have a clue what you're saying? Four hundred twenty-five. Number.
Also, I don't know about anywhere else, but how do you pronounce the date, "Today's twenty-seven January 2000 and 8"? If so, you should at least write it "27/1/00/8"
Misconception: You sound more professional and intelligent by referring to years past 2009 nine as "two thousand ten," "two thousand eleven," etc. All it does is make us listen to your moronic mouth run for one more syllable than we have to. "Twenty-ten!" I understand pronouncing the full number for the first ten years of the millennium, because "two thousand four" is just as long and less awkward-sounding than "twenty-o-four" (though I do know someone who would say that), but it's twenty-ten! I don't want people saying I'm the class of "two thousand eleven"! Gah! Did people think they sounded cool in American History class saying the Declaration of Independence was signed on "July 4th, one thousand seven hundred seventy-six"? Did Prince ever sing about partying like it's "one thousand nine hundred ninety-nine"? No. Twenty-ten.
/endrant
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
eternauta3k wrote:

Misconception: "Four hundred and twenty five" is a number. Four hundred and twenty-five whats? Four hundred and twenty-five hundreths would be written as "400.25". Four hundred and twenty-five thousandths would be "400.025". If you leave is at "Four hundred and twenty-five," you're saying "400" and "25". Are you really so lazy that you have to make whoever you're talking to do math to have a clue what you're saying? Four hundred twenty-five. Number.
Also, I don't know about anywhere else, but how do you pronounce the date, "Today's twenty-seven January 2000 and 8"? If so, you should at least write it "27/1/00/8"
Misconception: You sound more professional and intelligent by referring to years past 2009 nine as "two thousand ten," "two thousand eleven," etc. All it does is make us listen to your moronic mouth run for one more syllable than we have to. "Twenty-ten!" I understand pronouncing the full number for the first ten years of the millennium, because "two thousand four" is just as long and less awkward-sounding than "twenty-o-four" (though I do know someone who would say that), but it's twenty-ten! I don't want people saying I'm the class of "two thousand eleven"! Gah! Did people think they sounded cool in American History class saying the Declaration of Independence was signed on "July 4th, one thousand seven hundred seventy-six"? Did Prince ever sing about partying like it's "one thousand nine hundred ninety-nine"? No. Twenty-ten.
/endrant

The difference between "Four hundred and twenty-five" and "Four hundred twenty-five" is the difference between British and American English I believe. I totally protest to your logic though: if I said "Four hundred and twenty-five" then that implies 400 + 25. No maths is involved in the comprehension since the "and" is pretty much redundant. That doesn't mean we have to get rid of it though, there's bunchloads of English vocabulary and grammar that is more redundant and superfluous than the and there. Personally, I find the American way unsightly (if you'll pardon the expression) since it seems lazier. I mean, it's only one syllable! And barely one at that. Plus, it's always the why I've been taught it so I'm not going to stop it just because some committee decides that it's wrong. Just like 'sulphur' and 'sulfur'.

Aluminium.

Sorry.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

Ah-Loo-Min-Um?

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I guess, but it'll continue to piss me off until people finally realize that English and American are two different languages.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Aren't the American languages Cherokee and such?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:Aren't the American languages Cherokee and such?

North American Aboriginal languages, yes.

American English and British English share a common baseline vocabulary, grammar, and spelling. That's about it.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Annoying Misconception: All people from the middle east are packing TNT. My dad was born in Saudi Arabia and every time we fly he is pulled aside for "random questioning"

Misconception: This only happens to middle eastern people.

It also happens if you're pasty white and happen to be carrying any electronics beyond an iPod and a compact laptop.

Large laptops = large "explosive" batteries.
"Superfluous" cabling = bomb making materials.
Game controller = "He's going to hack the airplane and fly it into a building from his seat!"
"Superfluous antennas" sticking out of a device (add-on wifi antennas) = "BOMB!!!!!!!"

The normal reaction would be "I'll be shipping my gear ahead in the future" but no, I intend to make the expereince as painful for Airport Suckurity as they make it for me. Why should I have to absorb extra cost and step back from the line imposed by the official rules based upon some asshat with a badge's opinion? Nope, I'll happily show up 3 hours early for my flight, hold up the line at the x-ray machine as they rescan my stuff over and over, and speak loudly in the transparent "private questioning cubicle"
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

wing wrote:
Z.A.K wrote:Game controller = "He's going to hack the airplane and fly it into a building from his seat!"

The first thing I thought was,
"WII-MOTE"
Which would be difficult to accomplish, you'd need to stick a sensor bar on the front of the plane, then get to the cockpit.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Upsilon wrote:Aren't the American languages Cherokee and such?

North American Aboriginal languages, yes.

American English and British English share a common baseline vocabulary, grammar, and spelling. That's about it.

Definitely not spelling.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Baseline spelling. There's some confusion over if some words should have u's (us? ues?), er vs. re, ph vs. f, and probably some other issues that I can't think of right now. That said, there is a common baseline.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:24 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Ah-Loo-Min-Um?
I heard somewhere that the whole Aluminium / Aluminum things is a result of a typo on the invoice / shipping order of the first shipment to arrive in the states. But I guess that's a misconception.
Both ALUMINIUM and ALUMINUM have an equal claim to etymological and historical justification, and it seems that the difference in both pronunciation and spelling is likely to stay with us for the foreseeable future!
(link)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:06 am UTC

wing wrote:
Z.A.K wrote:Annoying Misconception: All people from the middle east are packing TNT. My dad was born in Saudi Arabia and every time we fly he is pulled aside for "random questioning"

It also happens if you're pasty white and happen to be carrying any electronics beyond an iPod and a compact laptop.

Game controller = "He's going to hack the airplane and fly it into a building from his seat!"
"Superfluous antennas" sticking out of a device (add-on wifi antennas) = "BOMB!!!!!!!"

Eh, I often travel with my laptop/360 with ridiculous amounts of extra cables. I've only been 'randomly' checked once (it was my first time through and I didn't know you had to take it out of the damn bag) and I fly somewhat often.

Misconception: That you are late is because you are lazy. It really annoys me when a professor gives you an evil eye for walking into class 2 minutes late on the first day. :shock: I can see if it was a recurring pattern or something though. :wink:

Though, I'd say this is more dependent on circumstance, in a work environment this seems like its less of a misconception. :?

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
wing wrote:

Eh, I often travel with my laptop/360 with ridiculous amounts of extra cables. I've only been 'randomly' checked once (it was my first time through and I didn't know you had to take it out of the damn bag) and I fly somewhat often.

It only really happens at BWI, which is the most hypersensitive airport in the country because it's the one that the TSA tests all their new "techniques" at. Unfortunately for me, this is also my home airport. On the other end, I'm fairly sure I could walk through most security checkpoints with a nuclear weapon and nobody would notice.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 am UTC

wing wrote:On the other end, I'm fairly sure I could walk through most security checkpoints with a nuclear weapon and nobody would notice.

But by god if you try to carry so much as nail clippers... :roll:

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

I used to get "randomly" searched every single time I went through the freaking security checkpoint. Not an exaggeration.
The first time in at least four or five years that I didn't get searched either on the way there or the way back was a few months ago. I was amazed.
The most prominently recurring villain here was my Scrye counter. I had one of the abacus-style Scrye counters that I would always keep in my backpack with my Magic decks, and they searched me EVERY single time.
Then, of course, when I finally wised up and started either taking it out before my backpack went in or just putting it with my checked luggage, other things had to start popping up. One time they searched because of some video game system, one time they confiscated a pair of those stupid "safety scissors" that can't even cut paper. I had them search me and confiscate a comb, but I really think that that was just because the security worker wanted it. I would have dicked about it, but I was on a school field trip and didn't want to hold people up.
One time I managed to get a giant pair of scissors through to Mexico somehow, but on the way back, they took them away. It was sad. They were good scissors =(
I think my favorite was when they searched my jacket. I wear my jacket everywhere because it's got all my stuff in it, kind of like a utility belt. It goes through the x-ray and next thing I know, they're searching it and they pull out a lighter. I figured out that it was because I had lent it to my sister so she could go out in the cold for a smoke break, and she left it there. I got an interesting look from my parents...

Mystify

Postby Mystify » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:57 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Fat Tony wrote:Misconception: "Four hundred and twenty five" is a number. *snip*

The difference between "Four hundred and twenty-five" and "Four hundred twenty-five" is the difference between British and American English I believe. *snip*

I believe you boys are looking for the language/linguistics thread *waves in a vague over there direction*

This thread was born from here as well.

M
You're eternally wild with the power
To make every moment come alive

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:I think my favorite was when they searched my jacket. I wear my jacket everywhere because it's got all my stuff in it, kind of like a utility belt. It goes through the x-ray and next thing I know, they're searching it and they pull out a lighter. I figured out that it was because I had lent it to my sister so she could go out in the cold for a smoke break, and she left it there. I got an interesting look from my parents...

(1) Learn to juggle
(2) Learn to juggle clubs
(3) Learn to juggle torches
(4) Explain that the lighter is there from the last time you were juggling torches

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Or I could just say that my sister borrowed my jacket to go smoke outside in the cold and left the lighter there.
If nothing else, fire is fun.

Return to “General”