Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Personally, I find the anti-piracy ads hilarious. The British have the "Piracy funds terrorism!" one, while the Americans (I think?) have the "You wouldn't steal a car!" ones, where the "download" button magically changes to "cancel" at a whim.

gibberishtwist wrote:I don't remember exactly what fast food chain it was (I'm leaning towards Hardees), but when I was living in Florida I saw a bunch of commercials talking about how their competitor's beef came from...NEW ZEALAND! Their beef came from AMURRICA. If they'd said, "This is helping out by reducing carbon emissions otherwise spent transporting all this foreign meat, etc," it wouldn't have been so aneurysm-inducing, but it was just flag-humping for a burger. Come on.

A side point... there's apparently less carbon emissions in transporting beef from NZ to the UK than there are in housing cattle in barns over the British winter - NZ's milder winters mean that we don't need to keep them in heated barns, so it's actually better for the environment to ship them than to buy locally.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

The best anti-piracy ad is the "Don't copy that floppy" one, who doesn't love some guy randomly rapping.

Awesomness!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Awia wrote:The best anti-piracy ad is the "Don't copy that floppy" one, who doesn't love some guy randomly rapping.

Awesomness!

Is it weird that I like that ad a lot better than the "you wouldn't steal" etc.. crap?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Awia wrote:The best anti-piracy ad is the "Don't copy that floppy" one, who doesn't love some guy randomly rapping.

Awesomness!

Is it weird that I like that ad a lot better than the "you wouldn't steal" etc.. crap?

Nope, I think it's way better, it's more inventive for one.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:

Awesomness!

Nope, I think it's way better, it's more inventive for one.

Spoiler:

Spoiler'd for GODDAMN HUGE.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Uh,

video wrote:If you just saw a naked ass, you were desperate to see one, you little homo.

???

Anyway that's some screwed up propaganda.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler'd for GODDAMN HUGE.

That is an awesome comic, and it speaks the truth.

kanavazk wrote:Uh,
video wrote:If you just saw a naked ass, you were desperate to see one, you little homo.

???

Anyway that's some screwed up propaganda.

Errr...yeah, I didn't get it either.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:22 am UTC

I was laughing hysterically throughout that whole video (except the part with the programmers. What nerds. :) ) It really started to get good around 5:20.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:11 am UTC

I decided to dig this thread up because I just saw a great commecial fail.
A U.S. ad for a computer performance test called "FinallyFast.com" advertizes that free software/spyware is for PC computers only, but almost all of the ad's actors are sitting at Macs, saying "my computer used to be fast, but now it's not!" Most of the error messages are also clearly in FireFox too. I'm just giddy about it.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

A magazine ad for human growth hormone supplement claimed the following (scan here):

"...If you want to stay on top of your game, physically and mentally as you age, this product is a boon, especially for highly skilled professionals who have made large investments in their education and experience."

Because middle-class people don't care as much about their "investment", right. :roll: Otherwise known as their life.
I compulsively edit posts.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

CVSoul wrote:I decided to dig this thread up because I just saw a great commecial fail.
A U.S. ad for a computer performance test called "FinallyFast.com" advertizes that free software/spyware is for PC computers only, but almost all of the ad's actors are sitting at Macs, saying "my computer used to be fast, but now it's not!" Most of the error messages are also clearly in FireFox too. I'm just giddy about it.

The real douchebaggery about those sites is that they're all purveyors of malware.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Awesomness!

I got in ONE little fight and my mom got scared....well, you know the text.

We have some of those adds in Germany as well. One of them to get extra credit. First of all all of my favourite grammar Nazis (including myself) have talked for hours about the bad grammar in that spot. And yet it's helariously illogical. Stating it here would be unwise as it's untranslatable due to various bad puns.

My favourite add of all times award goes to Lucky Strike, anyhow.
I don't smoke and I don't like the product they are selling but they have some clever guys in advertisement. Last year in Juli. Everybody was sweating like a horse, wearing shorts, rarely going out at all. On hot days it was easily above 100° F. So, Lucky Strike sets up an advertisement with two packages of cigarettes with santa-claus-hats and one big caption over it: "FIRST!!!!!!"

I so fucking lol'd
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Shakleton wrote:My favourite add of all times award goes to Lucky Strike, anyhow.
I don't smoke and I don't like the product they are selling but they have some clever guys in advertisement. Last year in Juli. Everybody was sweating like a horse, wearing shorts, rarely going out at all. On hot days it was easily above 100° F. So, Lucky Strike sets up an advertisement with two packages of cigarettes with santa-claus-hats and one big caption over it: "FIRST!!!!!!"

I so fucking lol'd

If that joke is what I think it is... I would have bought some damned cigarettes.

Also, The Onion has been running ads for Harold and Kumar go to Guantanamo Bay. A friend and I saw that, and promptly decided to see the movie. After "obtaining" watching it, he stated to me: "You realize we just watched a movie because of an ad..." "Yeah, but it's not like we bought the damned mkv file."

Take that, advertising!
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 am UTC

My favorite:

Spoiler:

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:53 am UTC

ParanoidAndoroid: That isn't seriously from the RIAA is it?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I'm not sure, but I really hope so. It's just the kind of thing they would do, anyway.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:04 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:My favorite:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Shit! They're on to us!

Tee hee.

Uh, anyway, nasty ads? I haven't watched much TV lately, but I think most ads for MMOs (Like that Mr. T/World of Warcraft one) are just, well, stupid.
Edit: I've seen a few bad banners for Maplestory, too.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:36 am UTC

I'm hating the ads for the Olympics at the moment. There's one for some McDonald's kid's competition to win a trip to the Olympics, and it's got your standard excited-kid voice-over all "My Dad woke me up at 4am, and Ronald McDonald and the whole Sunrise (some morning programme) crew were there to tell me I'd won a trip to the Beijing Olympic Games!"

4am, guys? Surely it can wait a few hours, when people are actually awake? Not to mention, if Ronald McDonald came to my house at 4am for anything, I would probably be screaming in terror.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I'm hating the ads for the Olympics at the moment. There's one for some McDonald's kid's competition to win a trip to the Olympics, and it's got your standard excited-kid voice-over all "My Dad woke me up at 4am, and Ronald McDonald and the whole Sunrise (some morning programme) crew were there to tell me I'd won a trip to the Beijing Olympic Games!"

4am, guys? Surely it can wait a few hours, when people are actually awake? Not to mention, if Ronald McDonald came to my house at 4am for anything, I would probably be screaming in terror.

If the competition's terms include an appearance on a TV morning show, then you should know that you may be in for an early morning before entering the competition.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Awesomness!

I'm sorry: I had to!
Spoiler:
dontlaugh.png
Feel free to copy this file.
dontlaugh.png (446.06 KiB) Viewed 17605 times
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Belial wrote:It's too bad there isn't a largely-french *actual* martial art. Maybe something with swords. It could maybe rhyme with "Bencing". Yeah, that would be swell.

Fencing is so not french. Sabre is Russian/Eastern European in origin, and foil/epee came really out of Italy.

But fear not! The french still have savate, which is a form of kickboxing. (A savatuer made it to the finals of the first UFC)

Anthemyst

Postby Anthemyst » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:57 am UTC

How has no one mentioned the Dominos "You got 30 minutes!" ad campaign? (Has someone mentioned it already? I'll be embarrassed). The general format is, a deliveryperson shows up with a pizza, and someone looking or sounding fairly ridiculous for whatever reason answers and says, "Guess what we did with OUR thirty minutes?" and the deliveryperson guesses whatever stupid thing they did (Learned how to fake a Brooklyn accent/Burned off eyebrows/Reenacted a medieval war). They're very annoying ads that get old fast.

What confuses me is that the ad directly implies that thirty minutes is a large amount of time. Shouldn't Dominos be bragging about how QUICKLY their pizzas arrive? If the commercials portrayed people obviously mid-activity because they thought they had more time than they did, okay, that works. But these ads come off like Dominos is deigning to grant us THIRTY WHOLE MINUTES, during which we could do an endless number of activities. It's really odd.

More in the logical fallacy theme, Nantucket Nectars ran a radio ad that was two guys setting out to "Prove that 'real is better'". This consisted of them stopping a random woman on the street, and asking her to read the ingredients in a Nantucket Nectar juice, and some other juice, while also asking her questions like, "Red 40, huh? Do you like Red 40?". She didn't even taste the Nantucket Nectar drink at any point. I pseudo-angrily submitted an e-mail to their complaint website pointing out the specific and numerous statistical and logical errors, in hopes of getting free coupons, but no deal.

Worst opening sentence I have ever heard in a radio ad: "My dogs are larger than life-both literally AND physically!"
GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:16 am UTC

mat-tina wrote:

Awesomness!

I'm sorry: I had to!
*Laghing Man*

Ah! So thats what the laughing man's goal was! It all makes sense now.Stupid stand alone complexes

What really annoys me is all those 'free' stuff and 'get rich quick' schemes now in commercials. Its bad enough they have them in banner ads (yay ad blocker? <_<) but in between my favorite shows? NOOOOO!

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:My favorite:

Spoiler:

The other side:

Spoiler:

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:14 am UTC

Argh! The "message to my man Todd" ads are so very annoying. They were running this ad for car insurance where a woman called Amy stood in a jewellry shop and said that he could save *so* much money by switching his car insurance; ending with the line "give AMII a ring".

They've just release a new ad from the "new Mrs Todd" where she's in a travel agency. First she complains about how horrible their honeymoon was and as she holds up a brochure for Paris says "who knows where the savings will take you?"

Gah!

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:29 am UTC

Yes. Those AAMI ads are pathetic.

Though, $400ish would pay for a pretty fucking awful Paris honeymoon, so she'll get her comeuppance once she's sleeping in a Parisian cardboard box.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought, too - $400 isn't a trip to Paris.

The Napisan ad is bothering me at the moment; the one where the kid asks all the questions and the mother answers them, and then the Napisan lady wanders on into the laundry, and the mother is relieved to see her rather than freaking out that some woman has turned up in her home. (I like the AGL ads for this, at least they make the people look surprised that some dude has walked into their house to talk about their gas systems.) What really gets me, though, is that she doesn't even answer the damn question.

Kid: "Why?"
Mum: "Because it targets stains in the wash."
Kid: "How?"
Mum: *blank*
Lady: "Napisan Oxyaction Intelligence or whatever targets stains in the wash!"
*ad over*

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Argh! The "message to my man Todd" ads are so very annoying.

I was reading a newspaper article about annoying ads that talked alot about those ones. Included an interview with one of the guys behind it, saying that it works because it is annoying. Can't remember if he admitted that it was deliberately made to annoy, though.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Day Tripper wrote:A magazine ad for human growth hormone supplement claimed the following (scan here):
*snip*

Not to mention that HGH doesn't work in pill form, anyway -- at least not last I checked.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Miracle-Gro organic compost "100% chemical free".

PAIN.

click here to see the advert

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I once saw an ad for a heat pump for heating the house: "Draws energy from the air. Guaranteed infinite power supply." I should have bought one and passed it down through generations to claim the warranty.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:47 am UTC

JayDee wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:Argh! The "message to my man Todd" ads are so very annoying.

I was reading a newspaper article about annoying ads that talked alot about those ones. Included an interview with one of the guys behind it, saying that it works because it is annoying. Can't remember if he admitted that it was deliberately made to annoy, though.

Yeah, I think the idea is that it creates name recognition because everyone remembers it. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure that's good for sales, since the company is already well-known and the ad seems to condition people to respond to the company name with seething hatred.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:Not to mention that HGH doesn't work in pill form, anyway -- at least not last I checked.

It doesnt, its a peptide hormore. Gets nicely hydrolyzed by the acid in your stomach and digestive proteases.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Home SO
Unlimited** Data Transfer
512k to 8meg
Monthly contract
£29.95
**Home SO - Unlimited off peak hours (02.00-7.00). Peak hours allowance - 20GB per month during other times.
Broadband off peak hours at 2am to 7am... 5hrs out of 24 is unlimited? I don't even know how they get away with that. Worst case of "Unlimited" I've ever seen.
Also, for £10 less, you can get the 20gb per month package.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

I recently saw a political ad that outright disgusted me.

The ad was basically as many personal attacks as one could possibly squeeze into 30 seconds. Nothing about the candidate it was promoting. And nearly nothing was even said about the other candidate's past in politics; everything was downright personal. Including one attack on the other candidate's bowling ability.

Sure, political ads are usually disgusting to begin with, but it's been a while since I've seen an ad that made me make up my mind NOT to vote for the candidate it's trying to promote.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Speaking of campaign ads, Paris Hilton has actually gained a few cool points from me after releasing this in response to one of McCain's ads. "I'll see you at the debate.. bitches." Ha!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

ya, I'm totally torn, on the one hand it was superb, on the other it is Paris fucking Hilton....

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

I HATE radio commercials that go like this:

---

"Hi, what can I do for you?"

"I'd like three tickets for a movie."

"But . . . but you're a burrito!"

"Not just ANY burrito - I'm a spicy chicken burrito from" . . . etc. etc.

---

Just saying it doesn't make it so. You're a guy with a normal voice, and acting like a burrito is not a way to draw people to your crappy taco shop. It's unimaginative and bland. Burn in hell, burrito imposter!

It's just another example of some stupid shtick getting pushed beyond any relevance. Radio commercials are absolutely terrible. Strike that - TV commercials in general are terrible. Their job is to piss you off so much that you remember the business being advertised. Good advertisements usually get remembered in and of themselves while the companies they represent are immediately forgotten.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:I recently saw a political ad that outright disgusted me.

The ad was basically as many personal attacks as one could possibly squeeze into 30 seconds. Nothing about the candidate it was promoting. And nearly nothing was even said about the other candidate's past in politics; everything was downright personal. Including one attack on the other candidate's bowling ability.

Sure, political ads are usually disgusting to begin with, but it's been a while since I've seen an ad that made me make up my mind NOT to vote for the candidate it's trying to promote.

Are you in Minnesota too?

Those commercials disgust me too. It's blatant attack politics.

Asad

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

This chair, the Hawaii Chair, claims that you can use it in the office. Although in the examples they show, it's painfully obvious that it's making the people struggle MORE to compensate for it. Kindof like working with someone shaking your shoulders around. And you look really, really cool doing it.

Also, I submit to you an excellent article that is relevant to this thread's interests.

Return to “General”