Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Oregonaut

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

DISSAPOINTED

Grawr, our words are bold and they'll convey more meaning. And they're yellow, like her bellah!
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

joshz wrote:I really can't see my sate letting our senate seat go to that crazy. We're normally a liberal state, and we've had only Democrats in Senate for *years*. Castle could've won it; he's moderate and popular here. But I can't see it going to O'Donnell, unless voters decide to stay home, thinking it won't matter and Coons'll win anyway.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, FiveThirtyEight is saying that O'Donnell only has a 0.7% chance of winning the election in Delaware. The most generous poll for O'Donnell shows her at 42%, whereas Coons sits at 53%.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I'll be in shortly, you can start without me. :wink:
Is there something I should be worrying about here?
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I'll be in shortly, you can start without me. :wink:
Is there something I should be worrying about here?

YES! Make sure your toys are fully charged or else they might run out of juice prematurely.

That'd be my primary concern...
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

Wait, now I'm even more confused. Why are we using toys AND my feet? How does this work?

The EGE wrote:

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Listen. I wouldn't worry about that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Right. I keep forgetting I have a canary in my ass.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

If you have to ask, then you really don't need to know.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Right. I keep forgetting I have a canary in my ass.

Okay, I get the reference, but seriously that's disturbing. People have died trying to extract that thong and their lives should not be used in idle fripperies.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

<Honest laughter>

Yes, but how do you know that they didn't ENJOY removing that thong?

The EGE wrote:

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
joshz wrote:I really can't see my sate letting our senate seat go to that crazy. We're normally a liberal state, and we've had only Democrats in Senate for *years*. Castle could've won it; he's moderate and popular here. But I can't see it going to O'Donnell, unless voters decide to stay home, thinking it won't matter and Coons'll win anyway.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, FiveThirtyEight is saying that O'Donnell only has a 0.7% chance of winning the election in Delaware. The most generous poll for O'Donnell shows her at 42%, whereas Coons sits at 53%.
Yeah, I just saw that statistic earlier tonight. *hopes his state doesn't go crazy*
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Think of it this way: If I said "There exists a number greater than zero of functioning humans (i.e. relatively sane) on Earth who believe everyone should stop having sex," it would most likely be true, what with the whole "there are a lot of people on Earth" thing. That fact that one such person is able to say it in an interview shouldn't really be a huge concern.

If she had a good chance of winning the election, that would be a concern. But if sex sells, then wouldn't preventing people from having sex severely hurt your popularity? I don't think she has a chance at all.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

joshz

Postby joshz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 am UTC

I wish you were right, but what's the campaign against it going to be? Bringing out the pro-masturbators? (this point shamelessly stolen from the Daily Show)

According to wiki, "She has also stated that sexual behavior is a personal matter, and that her political actions will be based on the Constitution, rather than her personal views." So it'd be tough to make an argument against her based on that.

I'm almost certain she'll lose, but if people get too complacent in that belief and don't vote (like what happened in the Republican primary), then she has a fair chance.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:20 am UTC

Is it actually legal to put out an ad that says, "Seriously, she wants you to stop doin it. What the hell man. Seriously."? If so, we should totally do this. If not, we should walk around with megaphones shouting it. I guarantee most people would see this as a reason not to vote for her.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:46 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Is it actually legal to put out an ad that says, "Seriously, she wants you to stop doin it. What the hell man. Seriously."? If so, we should totally do this. If not, we should walk around with megaphones shouting it. I guarantee most people would see this as a reason not to vote for her.
Well, there happens to be a rally next month where you cold probably take "Masturbation is kinda nice" signs. :roll:

Hoopla

Re:

Postby Hoopla » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:
QuantumTurkey wrote:Going way back to the mention of AXE commercials, is anyone else annoyed when they start to WORK? I sit there, watching passively, then the stray thought appears, "Well, if I use this product then I will be swarmed by..wait, no, dammit, I know it doesn't work that way." That, and some commercial for a product I cant even remember that includes a brunette that just sets me off, and when she asks a question at the end, I mildly whimper and reply "yes". Damn you advertisers, I realize I'm entering your prime demographic, but I still feel dirty and exploited.

I absolutely hate those commercials because people actually do put on a ridiculous amount and make a horrible smell absolutely overpowering.

On that note, I do enjoy one of AXE's competitors' commercials with the woman that says, "I don't want to smell you here..." (walks closer to camera) "...here..." (walks even closer) "...or even here."

a kid at the school I used to go to got math class cancelled by axe-bombing the classroom. it was hilarious. our class came later and we weren't allowed in. "why?" "Jerry sprayed an entire can of Axe in there." :p
Jahoclave wrote:Luckily they forgot the bacon, otherwise we'd be screwed.

THIS IS CARLYLE BLUMENTHAL III AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 am UTC

An online dating site ran an ad showing guys doing fairly romantic things, and ending with the tagline of "the only thing missing is you". And I thought that's kinda nice and touching, I'm okay with this ad.

Then I saw an ad that looked similar, but with lonely women....... except at the end it was a commercial for deodorant.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:19 am UTC

I saw a commercial the other day. There were a bunch of scenes of different high school (I think) girls talking about how the air doesn't care if you're black, white, old, young, whatever. Ok, cool. Some group is advocating equality. Then: WTF, this is a commercial for Verizon?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Levi wrote:I saw a commercial the other day. There were a bunch of scenes of different high school (I think) girls talking about how the air doesn't care if you're black, white, old, young, whatever. Ok, cool. Some group is advocating equality. Then: WTF, this is a commercial for Verizon?

Yes, I think it makes sense. Telling people that with cell phones, they can do badass shit, like meeting on comment threads, battling roving bands of trolls, and holding the great dialogues of the age.

Also, I thought this commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNc7GzRSqM (posted earlier in this thread, but I can't find it) actually worked quite well. Think of the stork as some kind of guardian angel or something. The only part I didn't get was the part with the wolves, but whatever.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:00 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Also, I thought this commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNc7GzRSqM (posted earlier in this thread, but I can't find it) actually worked quite well. Think of the stork as some kind of guardian angel or something. The only part I didn't get was the part with the wolves, but whatever.

Well, notice that the stork stops in the desert to rest and it protects the baby from the sun. I'm assuming the stork stopped in that mountainous forest region to rest as well, and it happened (unfortunately) to be where a bunch of wolves were, so it was protecting the baby from the wolves. Why wolves would attack a stork, I have no idea, but the commercial was good enough that I gave in to the suspension of disbelief.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Yeah I can't imagine a stork having much meat on it. They're mostly beak. But if the wolves were hungry enough... maybe!

Or perhaps they were looking to try... human foie gras! Soylent gras is people, you know.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

There are two that I've come across recently. First of all, my local Co-Op supermarket has started selling, in its premium range, gluten-free pork sausages. I know that normal sausages often have wheat-based bulking agents added, but you really wouldn't expect that in a premium one, so advertising it as gluten-free is somewhat redundant.

Second, and much more serious, was an advert I heard on the radio for a new model of car from Ford. It listed some of the features, which included "headlights that follow you home". WTF? A) That's very creepy, and B) headlights are meant to go at the front.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

Now I'm picturing someone walking home at midnight. Suddenly there's a bright light behind them. They turn around but can't see anyone. Is it a car? Why isn't it moving? Why's it just parked there?

They keep walking, but the light follows them. It makes absolutely no noise.

They start running. Still the light follows.

They try losing the stalker by dashing through alleys and taking an unconventional route. Still the light keeps coming.

Eventually the person makes it home, preparing to barricade themselves inside and maybe call the police. But the light goes off, and there hovering above the driveway are two headlights.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:... which included "headlights that follow you home". WTF? A) That's very creepy, and B) headlights are meant to go at the front.

Apparently it's just headlights that stay on for a little while longer after you turn the car off so you have lighting while you walk to your front door? Or at least that's what somebody says here.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

So... headlights that drain your battery?
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

I didn't realize that was a feature worth advertising. My car keeps them on for no longer than a minute after I lock it and its helpful for really dark nights when the motion detector lights don't turn on. Or if someone has them off. I think my car battery can handle a minute of lamp usage without being drained. Otherwise I really need a new battery.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

My car seems to do it at random. Sometimes it will leave the lights on for a minute or two and other times they will go off the minute I turn off the car. Wait, I'm thinking of the radio. The radio does that. I still haven't been able to figure out causes it.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

The RIAA.

The EGE wrote:

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

That's a stupid thing to advertise, most new cars do that by default. My car's lights will stay on for about 20 seconds unless I use the remote to lock it once I'm outside of it.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:45 am UTC

Pizza Hut: "People love pizza. They don't love math." Fuck you, Pizza Hut; fuck you.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:58 am UTC

Briareos wrote:Pizza Hut: "People love pizza. They don't love math." Fuck you, Pizza Hut; fuck you.

I KNOW, RIGHT? I saw that yesterday and it pissed me off.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:24 am UTC

no kidding, I'm sure mine wasn't the only chess club that ordered loads of terrible cheap pizza on an almost weekly basis.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

So this is a bit of a tangent, but has anyone actually done any study to figure out if telling people, "we'll be right back, don't change the channel!" is actually effective? I was listening to the local rock radio station and heard that, and it immediately compelled me to do exactly that.

It was actually more obnoxious - something sarcastic like, "You know, it's not only a bad idea to change the channel, it's actually dangerous to do so.... [explosion noise] We don't recommend it!"

Who listens to something like that and thinks, "gee, if you say so!" and not, "oh boy, here come the annoying advertisements"? On top of that, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to change the channel if they hadn't brought that to my attention.
I don't know what to do for you

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:So this is a bit of a tangent, but has anyone actually done any study to figure out if telling people, "we'll be right back, don't change the channel!" is actually effective? I was listening to the local rock radio station and heard that, and it immediately compelled me to do exactly that.

It was actually more obnoxious - something sarcastic like, "You know, it's not only a bad idea to change the channel, it's actually dangerous to do so.... [explosion noise] We don't recommend it!"

Who listens to something like that and thinks, "gee, if you say so!" and not, "oh boy, here come the annoying advertisements"? On top of that, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to change the channel if they hadn't brought that to my attention.

Perhaps eventually there'll be a commercial break entry dialog (that's what I'm calling them) that'll ENCOURAGE you to change the channel.

On a somewhat unrelated note - everytime I see the commercial that goes "A women is sexually assaulted every three minutes in America" [I actually don't remember the time unit used, just that it was something really short], I wonder what their criteria for distinguishing sexual assault from Sain* is.

*Fire Emblem reference, because I'm incapable of making NORMAL analogies.
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

joshz

Postby joshz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

For those (like me) who have no clue what fire emblem is http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Sain says "Sain is a jovial skirt-chaser of a knight who considers it his "curse" to be attracted to all women."

And you should explain what you mean, Keand64, lest I think you're advocating rape.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

My interpretation is that he's wondering what their criteria is for distinguishing actual sexual assault from, say, being hit on.

I tend to have a problem with how the "every <time duration>, one [category] <nationality> has <bad thing> happen to them" statistic is so frequently used to hide the actual frequency to make <bad thing> seem more worthy of attention. For example, I once saw a pitch for $50 oral cancer screenings that talked about how one American every hour gets diagnosed with it. (I do have to give them credit for mentioning that it's usually not covered by health insurance, though.)

Without even needing to look up any other info, here's what I thought on the spot:
1 person per hour = 24 people per day < 10,000 people per year < 1 in every 30,000 Americans per year.
Conclusion: From an actuarial point of view, $50 is a rip-off. I'll offer you $3.50 for it. No? $5.00, final offer.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:My interpretation is that he's wondering what their criteria is for distinguishing actual sexual assault from, say, being hit on.

Yeah, that's more or less what I meant.

Poochy wrote:I tend to have a problem with how the "every <time duration>, one [category] <nationality> has <bad thing> happen to them" statistic is so frequently used to hide the actual frequency to make <bad thing> seem more worthy of attention.

And that would be the point I was taking such a roundabout method of making. I think most people tend to forget (at least the people that the creators of these advertisements hope will watch said advertisements) that "one person per [time unit] in America" is a lot smaller when you consider that America has three hundred million people, so, off the top of my head, thats about 0.00000033% of the nation.

EDIT: Correction - 0.0000000033% of America, and also, I found that, assuming one person per second in America is [something to convince you to get a product in a commercial], it would take about a decade before 1% of the population is affected.
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Keand64 wrote: I found that, assuming one person per second in America is [something to convince you to get a product in a commercial], it would take about a decade before 1% of the population is affected.

Wait:
1 person per second = 60 people per minute = 3600 people per hour = 86,400 people per day = 31,536,000 people per year = 315,360,000 per decade
Approximate population of U.S. as of 2010: 310,387,000
Approximate population of Earth as of 2010: 6,872,200,000
315,360,000 is about 4.5% of the population of Earth.

So ... I think your math is off.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

So, these commercials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CErb461jHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx1LB-U5z3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFytHoXdG3E

So, basically, "Hey look wacky guys with a wacky accent doing wacky things that you wouldn't expect guys with that accent to do!"

I happened to see the Spanish version of this commercial (have to watch an hour of Spanish every week for Spanish class). It's two Hispanic guys, with Hispanic accents, being mildly wacky. What, they don't think minorities can find other accents funny? Well, they're probably right, because I don't find them funny.

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:51 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Keand64 wrote: I found that, assuming one person per second in America is [something to convince you to get a product in a commercial], it would take about a decade before 1% of the population is affected.

Wait:
1 person per second = 60 people per minute = 3600 people per hour = 86,400 people per day = 31,536,000 people per year = 315,360,000 per decade
Approximate population of U.S. as of 2010: 310,387,000
Approximate population of Earth as of 2010: 6,872,200,000
315,360,000 is about 4.5% of the population of Earth.

So ... I think your math is off.

Of course part of the issue is that you'll get a turnover rate, as new people are being born and others are dying. So the actual "pool" of people across a decade is larger than the "pool" at any given point in time. Nonetheless, 1/sec is a very high rate. (You also neglected leap years, but that's a minor point).

More than anything though this particular fallacy isn't just about a math fail, it's a series of small failures that add up. First off, the rate is probably NOT as high as they suggest. Even if the rate WAS as high as they suggest, it's likely that many of the "units sold" or whatever are people who are getting a new unit to replace a broken or lost one, are testing the product out and may not continue to use it, and various errata in terms of being placed in inventory or used for one time things. Finally, the rate, even if it was as high as they suggested, is likely not sustainable. Any growing market will naturally have very fast growth in the early stages, and slow down later as the target market becomes saturated, the market moves on, and the like. This sort of "choose the absolute best time and use that number" trickery is common.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Return to “General”