Best Buy's Geek Squad

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Best Buy's Geek Squad

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Heh, I actually don't know how to change oil. I guess I could easily look it up though. I think the difference there is that at least changing oil requires identifying a part of the car I don't know about yet (whatever you open to get the old oil out), whereas most people using computers know where the disk drive is, and know how to insert a disk, they just don't know that there aren't more steps than that.
Here's how it's done.

To compare to a computer -

Before you begin, make sure you have your OS CD/DVD, Floppy or USB Driver for your Hard Drive (if needed), Network Card Drivers, and any licensing keys you may need.

Step 1. Turn on the computer, and enter your BIOS. Verify that your CD/DVD drive is listed before your hard drive in the boot order menu. Take this time to place the disc in the drive.

Step 2. Reboot your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from the CD. From here, we're going to be assuming an XP reinstall, but this will more or less work for any Windows system.

Step 3. If needed, press F6 when prompted to load drivers from the floppy disc. If you do not know if you need the drivers, you'll find out in a minute.

Step 4. With the drivers loaded, it should ask you a series of questions on where you want to install the operating system, how you want to configure the partition, and if you want to overwrite the pre-existing install of Windows or if you want to install alongside it. It's best at this point to just erase the partition completely, reformat it and reinstall, unless you have data that you have not backed up but desperately need.

Step 5. Wait for the OS to install. It will reboot the computer eventually. Remove the disc from the drive when prompted, or simply ignore the "Press a key to boot from CD" prompt.

Step 6. Answer the questions asked about time zones, keyboard layout and so on. You should be asked for the Key at this time. Enter it. Resume the waiting game. The system will reboot when it's ready.

Step 7. When the system starts, it will take you through the process of setting up a new user account. It may try to activate on the internet, but odds are you aren't connected yet because you don't have Network Drivers installed, so you're safe to skip that part. Create the new user and get into Windows.

Step 8. Install the Network Drivers (and any other driver you thought to get ahead of time). Reboot when asked.

Step 9. Verify that that you have internet access, verify that the drivers you have for other systems are working correctly, download new drivers where needed. If you're confident that the system is stable, installed correctly and you do not wish to make any changes, go ahead and click the keys to activate Windows. If prompted, choose to call them and go through the automated system to verify your key. You may need to speak to a human to explain what's going on (a simple reinstall).

Step 10. That should do it. Reinstall any needed software, and you're good to go.

See? Simple!

So yeah, if you're relatively young looking, saying "$100, but it's easy to do yourself so why not give that a shot" is a perfectly fine answer. It's also perfectly fine to not be capable of doing all that. Fuck knows I've reformatted machines and only then realized I didn't get NIC drivers, so I've got to scrounge for another working machine so I can at least get those on there. And not everyone is in an environment where if the computer is down for reformatting, there's still another one (or seven) laying around that work.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

Oh geek squad, I remember you. Years ago I was visiting home from college campus, and obviously I had a to-do list for all things computery. Apparently a family member bought a graphics card and asked geek squad to install it for them, but for some reason it would not work! Long story short, I opened the case, noticed they jammed it into the wrong port on the motherboard and it was fixed in as much time as it takes to unscrew the case.

Someone there needed more practice with their blocks because the graphics card certainly didn't fit in that PCI slot.
Spoiler:

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote: Heh, I'm not sure I'd say inserting a disc and hitting "next" a bunch of times constitutes a "skill set" (where they charge for installing antivirus). They could describe to the customer how to do that in 10 seconds with virtually zero effort.

I've installed Norton before (for example) and there can be considerable problems if you had an old version of Norton on drive WAY back or something similar. Yes if its a new system with no problems it'll install after a few button presses. But it can also come up chock full of error messages or something else could be wrong that prevents your antivirus from installing (like say a virus) and its situations like those that you're paying a professional to resolve.

There are plenty of similar things a mechanic does that you could easily do at home. But if YOU snap a bolt when you're trying to replace a part you're probably going to be much more screwed than if the mechanic had done it (a friend broke a bolt when trying to replace his headers and man that was a ridiculous pain in the ass to deal with).

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote: Heh, I'm not sure I'd say inserting a disc and hitting "next" a bunch of times constitutes a "skill set" (where they charge for installing antivirus). They could describe to the customer how to do that in 10 seconds with virtually zero effort.

But that would make it harder to convince said customer to give them moneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111etc
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Black Tie Protection does not necessarily mean Geek Squad. With something like an MP3 player, there's not much they can really do other than hand you a new one.

I always took it to the geek squad counter, because someone (other than the owner, who goes through all these steps before bringing it in) has to look at it and shake it and poke at it and scream at it and then say, yes, its broken. They have just the right skill set!

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

I've installed Norton before (for example) and there can be considerable problems if you had an old version of Norton on drive WAY back or something similar. Yes if its a new system with no problems it'll install after a few button presses. But it can also come up chock full of error messages or something else could be wrong that prevents your antivirus from installing (like say a virus) and its situations like those that you're paying a professional to resolve.

There are plenty of similar things a mechanic does that you could easily do at home. But if YOU snap a bolt when you're trying to replace a part you're probably going to be much more screwed than if the mechanic had done it (a friend broke a bolt when trying to replace his headers and man that was a ridiculous pain in the ass to deal with).

I can see your (and SecondTalon's) point, but in the specific Norton instance I don't think it's justified. This is an offer they make when they sell you a brand new computer (and separate from the offer to plug in your new computer - which has all usb cord accessories - for $100 or so).
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

ocalapcguy

Postby ocalapcguy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 am UTC

setzer777
"Heh, I actually don't know how to change oil. I guess I could easily look it up though. I think the difference there is that at least changing oil requires identifying a part of the car I don't know about yet (whatever you open to get the old oil out), whereas most people using computers know where the disk drive is, and know how to insert a disk, they just don't know that there aren't more steps than that.

Don't know if its just down here in florida with all the retireies but I hear this a lot "you know so & so company's PCs or laptop doesn't come with restore discs, THEY expect YOU to make them yourself!! Like I'm really supposed to know how to do that myself" And I have seen a lot of PCs that don't ever get thier dvd-drives opened up to do anything.

As far as the one touch restores go, haven't had a single complaint from anyone and most can see how easy it is to do when I do it (I don't mind showing someone how to fix the problem in the future for themselves but I gotta earn a living too). Then again I only charge $50 and make sure they have a decent antivirus up and running b4 I leave.

Then theres the antivirus situation. I don't force my customers to buy into the paid version of malwarebytes when I do a virus removal, but I do point out that what they had let the virus thru so I won't come back for free if they get infected again unless they take my advice and buy the malwarebytes software. So I can see paying BB to install antivirus if they give umbrella coverage on the manufacturers warrenty for viruses but my guess is they don't.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

....Malwarebytes doesn't make Antivirus software.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Marauder_Pilot

Postby Marauder_Pilot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 am UTC

The bulk of what people call a virus is actually malware, though, so six of one, half a dozen of the other.

MBAM rocks face, though, between that and Combofix, I've yet to find more than a handful of malicious programs of any variety that'll survive them.

As an *actual* computer tech, I find Geek Squad, and their various counterparts at other big-box computer and office supply stores embarrassing. My personal favourite: A customer took their computer to Staples for a virus clean, only to be told by their techs that the mobo was dead. She found this suspicious, so she brought it to my store.

For some reason, a 4-pin power connector from the PSU had been plugged-rammed, really-into a 4-pin fan connector on the motherboard, cooking it. Why they were in there dicking around with power cables for a virus scan, I will have no idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Labels probably got swapped. They were checking the cables on the "Won't turn on" computer next to the "Just run AV" computer, another tech shows up and tries to get to work when "Hey, did that lady say the thing wasn't booting? I can't get it to turn on...and why does it say Dell on the work order when this is an HP?" whoops moment happened.

Oh, fun story from me...
Spoiler:
so we purchase a laptop from Best Buy, and another from Staples a few months later (don't ask) and a friend of ours also purchases a laptop from Best Buy with my wife, in the process of which my wife uses her Best Buy rewards thing, so our friend's laptop ends up with our information on it. No big deal to us or our friend.

A couple of months later, the Staples laptop stops charging. I take a look at it and it's either the cable is bad or the connector in the laptop is bad and it's still in the first year of the warranty. "No big deal" I say, "Just take it back to where we got it and have them test it - it's a simple matter to just take a known good cable, plug it in and then we know."

Later I get a call from my wife who'd taken the Laptop to Best Buy because she couldn't remember where it came from and neither could I. I asked "Oh, so they checked it out and the connector in the laptop was bad?" and she said "No, they spent forever looking up our information and took it in to get repaired." Kina a "wat" moment from me. She looks at the information they gave her and says on the phone "Wait a minute..."

Here's what Best Buy did...

They took the computer in under our friend's laptop information. They literally took a HP laptop in and wrote up the work order for a Dell and were about to ship it off for repairs. On a computer they hadn't tested. At all. Which means wherever the hell they shipped it, they were going to take one look at the work order, one look at the laptop and ship it back with a "The fuck are you morons doing?" sticky note on it.

So I got my wife to go back in and pick it up again which apparently required that she yell at a manager or something..... not that I'm good at yelling at people, but she's worse at it. So she's freaking out about the whole thing, I'm panicking that the morons have shipped it off somewhere or worse yet, tried to open it up and "fix" a problem that they'd never tested.

One of us, probably her, finally remembers that we got a laptop at Staples. She takes it there, dude stocking ink literally unplugs the same model on the floor from it's power, plugs it into her machine, plugs our cable into their machine, and takes all of 15 seconds to determine it's a bad cable, gives us the number of HP's support line and the options we need to push, tells us roughly how much time it'll take for the replacement cable to show up better than the HP rep did, and shows us a couple of options in off-brand power cables as a temporary replacement. In and out in less than two minutes with the issue resolved.

Now yes, you *can* make the argument that my wife and I fucked up by not remembering where we bought it, and it's a valid point. We didn't. But there's no way in hell the Geek Squad should have taken it in to ship off to some repair facility. They didn't sell it, it wasn't the right serial on the protection plan, it wasn't even the same damn manufacturer. A brick - a literal clay brick - would have been just as valid to ship off for this laptop repair. And this is long before we get into the "Why the hell are you shipping a laptop off for something that *might* be a cable problem?" issue.

So yeah, the ink stockers at Staples are smarter than Geek Squad. Just sayin'.

awr7126

Postby awr7126 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:18 am UTC

So I finally got my computer fixed by Geek Squad last week. After sending my computer away for the second time, Geek Squad replaced the screen on my laptop which fixed the problem with the screen flickering.

I have Ubuntu and Vista on my laptop and I only gave Geek Squad the password for Ubuntu. However, when I got my computer back the password on windows we turned off. Does anyone know how they would have done this?

Also, since I have had my computer back, it has frozen three times (It froze twice in the last hour). This was never a problem before I sent my computer to have it fixed the second time. Has anyone had a similar experience?

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 27, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

awr7126 wrote:So I finally got my computer fixed by Geek Squad last week. After sending my computer away for the second time, Geek Squad replaced the screen on my laptop which fixed the problem with the screen flickering.

I have Ubuntu and Vista on my laptop and I only gave Geek Squad the password for Ubuntu. However, when I got my computer back the password on windows we turned off. Does anyone know how they would have done this?

Also, since I have had my computer back, it has frozen three times (It froze twice in the last hour). This was never a problem before I sent my computer to have it fixed the second time. Has anyone had a similar experience?

there are a LOT of ways to crack a password and then disable it. doesn't take much on most systems
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

awr7126

Postby awr7126 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 am UTC

Do you care to enumerate some of these ways to crack a password on vista.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat May 28, 2011 4:14 am UTC

awr7126 wrote:Do you care to enumerate some of these ways to crack a password on vista.

They didn't "crack" your password. They stripped your password out of existence.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 28, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Yakk wrote:
awr7126 wrote:Do you care to enumerate some of these ways to crack a password on vista.

They didn't "crack" your password. They stripped your password out of existence.

Like this. And there's a Mac version too. And these methods still work, for the most part. Yay, security.

awr7126

Postby awr7126 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Hmm.. Thats interesting. Could using any of these methods cause a computer to freeze frequently?

If not, what do you think Geek Squad would have done to cause a this?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat May 28, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

awr7126 wrote:Hmm.. Thats interesting. Could using any of these methods cause a computer to freeze frequently?

No.

If not, what do you think Geek Squad would have done to cause a this?

Dunno; try reformating and reinstalling?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun May 29, 2011 5:27 am UTC

awr7126 wrote:Hmm.. Thats interesting. Could using any of these methods cause a computer to freeze frequently?

Weeelllllllll........ it depends on which particular method they used. And if you encrypted parts of your operating system.

But as a general rule, no. In the same way that as a general rule you won't break an arm if you slip and fall.

awr7126

Postby awr7126 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Dunno; try reformating and reinstalling?

Yeah.. I guess thats what i'll have to do.

maninblack379

Postby maninblack379 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 am UTC

Has anyone else bought a laptop (or anything else) at best buy and had it insured with their "black tie" protection plan?

It took almost a month to get my computer back and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Now I'm a little bit suspicious about their service. Have you solved your problem with laptop? I simply had problems with my last laptop so now I want to be sure not to face any problems, at least within a year of use!

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

I know i'm responding to posts from, like, 6 months ago, but this thread is back up soooo...

Sexytalon: the problem is, you're not paying for 2hrs of $50 quality work. You'll be lucky if you get 2hrs worth of minimum wage work. Take the example you listed above, about reinstalling XP; you listed the steps a competent person would take. Geek squad training, OTOH, seems to tell them to insert the disk, jump to your step 2, then go from there to 5, then 6, maybe 7, and on to 10.
The only reason geek squad continues to exist is because most people out there are only barely computer literate enough to do the above, with instructions.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Return to “General”